As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite] Dangerous; Engineers Are GO!

19495969798100»

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Didn't have any problems running the Imperial CG earlier in the week, but I guess all the griefers are hopping on for the weekend. Had a Sidewinder charge me right outside the station, then just scrape against my hull trying to get me hit with a reckless flying fine.

To solo mode, I guess.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I haven't heard a single compelling reason to play on open if you're not doing something with friends.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    How large do seeker mounts go? Maybe I just replace everything but the beam with seekers and macross that shit

If you are going to Macross - you want pack hounds from LYR.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I finally did it! Say hello to Sagittarius A*!

k2zNb0t.jpg

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Put a Roman-style helmet on it and it's practically Marvin the Martian staring at you.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Has anyone here worked with a diagonal gun setup on the Cobra Mk III, i.e. having guns of one type on the top left and bottom right and guns of another type on the top right and bottom left, to make sure that regardless of a bogey's position you can always get at them either with a laser or an ammo-based gun? It sounds good in theory, but I wonder how useful it is in practice.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Not with a Cobra but I have with a Clipper (put fixed X weapon on one side, and fixed Y weapon on the other) since chaff really bones a Clipper. It worked fine but did take some getting used too.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I didn't see a new thread--so I'll go ahead and ask here:

I gave the game's trial on try on XB1 and was generally impressed with what I saw, but forgot about it. In the ensuing months, I've gotten an overclocked GTX 1080 and a new 4K monitor (in addition to the Saitek X55 I already owned). While playing a somewhat-glitch TIE Fighter '95 from GOG, it occurred to me that, hey, maybe a modern space sim would be a nice change.

I downloaded the combat demo and despite the very limited nature of it (which makes perfect sense) was very impressed. Game looks great at 4K. Works very well with a X55 controller (unlike TF95, it can actually use my throttle). I'm really thinking of buying it, almost exclusively for the singleplayer experience (the idea of hunting down, or rather being hunted by other players in PVP makes my skin crawl).

As it happens, I don't have unlimited hours to pour into it. Would the $29.99 basic edition do the trick, or should I buy the $59.99 version with the season pass and Pilot Starter Pack? The Pilot Starter Pack sounded completely optional (I'm really in no rush to get better stuff, unlike the approximately eight thousand free-to-play grind fests I've tried recently), but the Horizon pack sounds like it could be necessary. Or is the game good enough to stand on its own?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would definitely recommend horizons, the pilot starter pack just has some paint jobs and bobbleheads right? You don't need it.

Horizons, right now, will let you land on planets and craft things down the road. You'll also need it if you want to use the future updates that let you multicrew a single ship with your bros.

• Options
    I misspoke--the "deluxe edition" consists of the game, the commander pack, and the Horizons season pass. But the consensus seems to be that the commanders pack is, like the other one, useless.

• Options
    Pretty sure it's still just paint and shit yeah. If getting Elite and Horizons bundled is cheaper, go for that. If none of the horizons stuff sounds cool to you, just get Vanilla.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I think Horizons is well worth the price of entry. I was initially skeptical and didn't upgrade until the engineers patch. I'm really happy that I did, though.

So far as the cosmetic packs, yeah you don't need those. I personally just think of buying the ship paintjobs and such as a tip to Frontier for a job well done. They also make pretty nice rewards for events and competitions.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    That's informative, thank you. I might just grab Elite basic and wait till Horizon goes on sale (though I might be waiting a long time then).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So managed to get a murder rap last night. Got interdicted in my Asp (solo mode, so it was an NPC), so I performed the 'run away and drop mines' maneuver. Targeted the ship and turns out he's not wanted. About ten seconds later his ship runs square into the mines and evaporates. A murderer is me!

Which is annoying. Especially since interdicting someone probably should be a criminal act since it's the equivalent of running someone off the road. Seriously though, four small mine launchers in the AspX, four pips to engines/two in system, and interdictions become entertaining.

Also purchased the Python. Everything is at about a 'C' rating, which is not great for combat, as relatively low level Anaconda blasted me down to 29% hull before I was able to run whimpering into supercruise. Is three large gimballed pulses and two medium seeker missiles a not-horrible loadout? I'm not looking to go bounty hunting until I kit the ship out more, but I like to have options if I'm jumped.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    I think that's a bug, if he interdicted you he de facto should have a bounty. Interdiction is a crime.

• Options
    I played my first coop session of Elite this weekend and really enjoyed it - although it doesn't seem perfect yet. For one thing, in a two-hour session we were chucked out of group play two or three times, which isn't a biggie, but it was a bit annoying. More than that, either nav-lock isn't working as I'd expect it or it's currently bugged. Do I understand correctly that with nav-lock active, my ship should be slaved to the other person's jump drive, meaning that I shouldn't have to set my own course and I should drop out of hyperspeed and supercruise more or less in sync with the wing leader?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I think that's a bug, if he interdicted you he de facto should have a bounty. Interdiction is a crime.

Couple of things:

I believe it is just a fine for interdiction? - may depend on the security rating of the system?

Make sure you have 'Report crimes against me' turn on in the right panel (on the far right tab). If that is off, they aren't reported for any crimes they commit against you.

Your bounty will go away after 7 days, or if you die from a player (if you die to NPC or suicide they just go dormant for a day?)

C rate modules are bad for combat yea - especially on a hog like a Python. A Python can be a combat monster, but it takes some serious cash to get there and you aren't ever going to be a dogfighter.

• Options
    Ooh, I bet it's the Report Crimes Against Me thing. Also you're right re: fines, I still don't really have the situation on lock since they made it four times more complicated a few patches ago.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Bigity wrote: »

Couple of things:

I believe it is just a fine for interdiction? - may depend on the security rating of the system?

Make sure you have 'Report crimes against me' turn on in the right panel (on the far right tab). If that is off, they aren't reported for any crimes they commit against you.

Your bounty will go away after 7 days, or if you die from a player (if you die to NPC or suicide they just go dormant for a day?)

C rate modules are bad for combat yea - especially on a hog like a Python. A Python can be a combat monster, but it takes some serious cash to get there and you aren't ever going to be a dogfighter.

I've got it upgraded enough so that I probably won't instant explode if something big interdicts me. Only reason I got shooty with that Anaconda is because it was already drawing fire, three large pulses got it's attention right quick though. The Python cockpit is pretty big, the for reals larger ships must be freaking huge.

It's crazy how much the expanded cargo space helps with mission selection. It's night and day.

I'll check the 'report crimes against me' thing.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    The Python is a top tier mission completer IMO. Can fit alot of cargo and still a medium pad (meaning you can land at any station). It can also be configured for combat and hold up really well. Basically it's a great all-purpose ship if you have enough cash. It can do combat, missions, mining, some trading, etc. Just a decent (vs good) jump range, but the big fuel tank helps make up for that.

It has issues fleeing from a fight though - it is too slow to get away from faster ships, and too small to avoid mass lock by the big ships. Luckily, it is sturdy enough that it's not a death sentence.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    this "where is the new thread" tension is killing me.

On the plus side, anyone else take advantage of that Morias CG that ended this morning? I hauled in only 4 trips @ 268 tons per of Tantalum and got top 50% for 138M reward :biggrin:

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    138 million holy god

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »

On the plus side, anyone else take advantage of that Morias CG that ended this morning? I hauled in only 4 trips @ 268 tons per of Tantalum and got top 50% for 138M reward :biggrin:

I ran it for an hour or two since it started, ended up delivering around 3k tons putting me in the top 75%. With the 220 mil payout I'm now proudly representing the Empire in a top of the line Clipper.

• Options
    What the fuck happened to cgs his is insane why did no one tell me

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I fucking knew I should have logged on earlier today. I had that fucking itch even.

Now I'll get on tomorrow and there won't be shit happening and I'll end up getting my T6 shot up a bunch of times trying stupid shit.

Also, new thread incoming I guess, if no one else is game.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    mastman wrote: »

I ran it for an hour or two since it started, ended up delivering around 3k tons putting me in the top 75%. With the 220 mil payout I'm now proudly representing the Empire in a top of the line Clipper.

I really really wish I wasn't out at the Heart and Soul nebulae right now. I would have loved to do the same, lol.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I happened to glance in the CG section of the mission board yesterday and saw it.
    Sooo... 330 million or so from being in the top 10%. Which puts me at around 770 million in liquid assets. Tophats and monocles all around!

Anyway, I've been flying the Type-9 lately because I just love the view. It pains me that there's no high-end combat ship with a similar cockpit.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Okey doke, here is the new thread, Commanders.

Keep flying.

Mods, lock and fire at will.