As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    well the new video does include Dummy #2 mentioning that they never paid attention tot he Civ bonuses in the last game and that they stupidly went to war without building a barracks first, so at least he seems to be learning the folly of his ways.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    One thing worth noting: Zanzibar's unique bonus seems ridiculous if I'm reading it right. Two exclusive luxuries that are +6 amenities each?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I didn't pay close enough attention but others did. They brought up the Civilopedia page for Barbarossa so there were links to the other leaders on the side...
    1. Catherine de Medici - France
    2. Cleopatra - Egypt
    3. Frederick Barbarossa - Germany
    4. Gandhi - India
    5. Gilgamesh - Sumer / Ur
    6. Gorgo - Greece / Sparta
    7. Harald Hardrada - Norway / Vikings
    8. Hojo Tokimune - Japan
    9. Montezuma - Aztecs
    10. Mvemba a Nzinga - Kongo
    11. Pedro II - Brazil
    12. Pericles - Greece / Athens
    13. Peter - Russia
    14. Philip II - Spain
    15. Qin Shi Huang - China
    16. Saladin - Arabia
    17. Teddy Roosevelt - America
    18. Tomyris - Scythia
    19. Trajan - Rome
    20. Victoria - England

Thought:
    Athens and Sparta? INTERESTING

Share your source, eh.

http://i.imgur.com/uTBVbap.jpg

Obsessives at Civ Fanatics have Big Ben's effect from a mouseover during that video (7:40)
    +6 gold/turn (not much based on what we've seen)
    +1 economic policy (huge, I think?)
    doubles your treasury when you build it
    +3 Great Merchant Points

Must be built adjacent to a river and a commercial district with a bank.

Going to require a lot of forethought to build wonders now. And it probably means my dumb gimmick runs where I build every wonder in one city are going to be impossible, even on settler.

Obsessives at Civ Fanatics have Big Ben's effect from a mouseover during that video (7:40)
    +3 Great Merchant Points

Going to require a lot of forethought to build wonders now. And it probably means my dumb gimmick runs where I build every wonder in one city are going to be impossible, even on settler.

well that was gonna be impossible anyway since they take up a tile. you wont have enough space around a single city to build more than one or two.

edited August 2016
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    +3 Great Merchant Points

well that was gonna be impossible anyway since they take up a tile. you wont have enough space around a single city to build more than one or two.

Yeah. :(

It was hard enough already! For Civ 5 I regenerated my map so many times to get a coastal desert mountain start with any hammers. Then you have to do all kinds of bullshit to get all three ideology wonders and the ISS.

enlightenedbum on
    even without going to such extremes i imagine a lot of people feel into a habit of building most wonders in the first 2 or 3 cities, terrain restrictions not withstanding. i know i did, and i expect its just that type of thing that they're trying to break people of now. be fun to see how it plays out in practice.

I need to get my hands on it, but it seems like some of the tile yields are weird. Farming a non-resourced grassland does literally nothing? Quarried stone is worse than virgin forest?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Looks like a graphical bug with the tile yield overlay. It shows 2 food on the farm+grassland but when they mouse over it the hover text box says 3 food. Similarly the stone quarry is showing the 2 food 1 production of an unimproved stone, but the hover text box says 2 production 2 food. So... the same as a forest, which is still weird. But not as weird.

Dead Sea:
    Two tile natural wonder, counts as a lake, +2 culture, +2 faith, adjacent units full heal.

We tried the Polynesia scenario for the first time, itbwas interesting, but because of the lack of stuff to do (explore a lot, fight off barbarians, ...) it got boring. We missed the more elaborate mechanics of Great Artists and in retrospect we should have picked up Honor policies earlier, so that we could grind culture on barbs.

Still: 3 extra achievements unlocked and the setting was nicely done.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Aldo wrote: »
    I didn't pay close enough attention but others did. They brought up the Civilopedia page for Barbarossa so there were links to the other leaders on the side...
    1. Catherine de Medici - France
    2. Cleopatra - Egypt
    3. Frederick Barbarossa - Germany
    4. Gandhi - India
    5. Gilgamesh - Sumer / Ur
    6. Gorgo - Greece / Sparta
    7. Harald Hardrada - Norway / Vikings
    8. Hojo Tokimune - Japan
    9. Montezuma - Aztecs
    10. Mvemba a Nzinga - Kongo
    11. Pedro II - Brazil
    12. Pericles - Greece / Athens
    13. Peter - Russia
    14. Philip II - Spain
    15. Qin Shi Huang - China
    16. Saladin - Arabia
    17. Teddy Roosevelt - America
    18. Tomyris - Scythia
    19. Trajan - Rome
    20. Victoria - England

Thought:
    Athens and Sparta? INTERESTING

Share your source, eh.

http://i.imgur.com/uTBVbap.jpg

Wow, it seems like they are avoiding civ 5 leaders as much as possible. Looks like the only repeats are montezuma ghandi and pedro?

Jealous Deva on
    Do we know if these games are being played on quick speed? Because costs seem a bit too low at the moment. It's also hard to say because we've only seen the first hundred turns or so, but it feels like the eurekas should maybe be knocked down to 33% or 40% instead of 50%.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Do we know if these games are being played on quick speed? Because costs seem a bit too low at the moment. It's also hard to say because we've only seen the first hundred turns or so, but it feels like the eurekas should maybe be knocked down to 33% or 40% instead of 50%.

Yes, all these press preview games we've seen so far have been on quick speed. The press events are time limited, so the games are set to quick speed to show off as much of the game as possible.

Also, eurekas are already 40% in the current build, unless you're China, in which case they're 60%.

Ivan Hunger on
    I think the Great Wall probably sucks, but that still makes China quite possibly broken. Unless they've stopped the snowball somehow.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I understand the change to wonders, but I will miss all the wonders in my capital.

It is more realistic the way they are doing it, I'm just used to Civ IV I guess, stacks of doom, and all the wonders in the capital.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-ql-r_QEU

Spain! Phillip II

Treasure fleet: trade routes between continents get larger yields, get access to combining ships into fleets earlier
    Better inquisitors (one extra use) and his units get combat bonuses against other faiths
    Unique unit: conquistadors: bonus strength with a religious unit in the same hex, when they are adjacent to a city you conquer, it automatically converts the city
    Unique tile improvement: the mission gets bonus faith if built on a continent that's not the capital and science if next to a campus

Lots of cool synergies there.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Spain in CIV V was one of my favorites. You had some average games, sure, but then you also had games where you start next to Lake Victoria or a Faith wonder and laugh all the way to the victory screen. I never really used conquistadors to their fullest though.

This new Spain looks like a seafaring\religion civ done right. Actually, how do religions even work in this game? I haven't seen much discussion on it.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Pantheons are basically the same. Great Prophets are earned with Great Prophet points (or lots of faith/gold), they found a religion. Then you need something else to enhance, I think apostles?

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    It looks like you have to unlock religions with what the tech tree looks like.

I guess Shintbroism isn't possible anymore.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Based on the stream last week, you can still name religions and there's also a bigger range of symbols to pick from, including non-major religion ones like constellations and so on (they picked a turtle in the stream). Seems like one of the earliest mods will be adding a weed symbol to that menu and I'm sure someone will do popped collars.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Video didn't say, but presumably his agenda is convert to my religion. So AI Spain is probably Civ4 Isabella. AKA kill on sight or convert and send him to bash your enemies.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Based on the stream last week, you can still name religions and there's also a bigger range of symbols to pick from, including non-major religion ones like constellations and so on (they picked a turtle in the stream).

So, we can create a religion to worship the Great A'Tuin who carries the world through the cosmos?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Based on the stream last week, you can still name religions and there's also a bigger range of symbols to pick from, including non-major religion ones like constellations and so on (they picked a turtle in the stream).

So, we can create a religion to worship the Great A'Tuin who carries the world through the cosmos?

Working as intended. :)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Well, Spain just rocketed up to the top of my "civs to play first" list.

okw0dxt0p4mx.jpg

The Turtle Moves!

On a more serious notes: there's plenty of folks throughout history who venerated turtles.

edited August 2016
    Video didn't say, but presumably his agenda is convert to my religion. So AI Spain is probably Civ4 Isabella. AKA kill on sight or convert and send him to bash your enemies.

Which begs the question, what will Saladin's agenda be, if not that?

Ivan Hunger on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-ql-r_QEU

Spain! Phillip II

Treasure fleet: trade routes between continents get larger yields, get access to combining ships into fleets earlier
    Better inquisitors (one extra use) and his units get combat bonuses against other faiths
    Unique unit: conquistadors: bonus strength with a religious unit in the same hex, when they are adjacent to a city you conquer, it automatically converts the city
    Unique tile improvement: the mission gets bonus faith if built on a continent that's not the capital and science if next to a campus

Lots of cool synergies there.

I'm glad they changed the unexplored tile color. I hate the similarity between that and fog in the older versions.

Also hell yes, holy war!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited August 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlzrcpSPFE

India gets faith for each other civ which has a religion and is not at war with India.
    Other civs get unhappiness penalties for fighting wars against Gandhi.
    India gets the follower beliefs of all religions with followers in their cities.
    Unique Varu elephant does the whole intimidating elephant thing from Civ 5.
    Stepwell tile improvement gives food and housing and bonus food if next to farms, bonus faith if next to holy sites.

The every follower belief thing is neat if you can pull it off somehow, but otherwise kind of meh unless the stepwell is amazing. I guess all that extra faith maybe means you can do a great person focused strategy? And the unhappiness penalty for fighting Gandhi is obnoxious for you as a human but usually the AIs can just ignore that kind of thing, so I don't like it.

Hopefully they add in other, better leaders for India at a later date.

enlightenedbum on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    All this talk of civ 6 (ciVIlization?) has me wanting to fire up a new game of 5. I never got past King difficulty and my last game was a Brazil culture win. Any suggestions on a civ to play for Emperor(? Or whatever the next level is) on a standard continent map?

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

What better leaders has India had? India (as we think of it today) really only dates back to the 1850s. I guess they could go with some Mughal leader (Akbar?), but I don't know if I'd call them better representatives of India than Gandhi.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Poland is the flat strongest civ, I think. Maya, Korea, and Babylon are also all very good.

edited August 2016

What better leaders has India had? India (as we think of it today) really only dates back to the 1850s. I guess they could go with some Mughal leader (Akbar?), but I don't know if I'd call them better representatives of India than Gandhi.
    Shah Jahan with a bonus that ties in with the obnoxious amount of palaces, forts and gardens he built during his reign. Plenty of recognizability from the Taj Mahal and a strong character to build a UI personality around.

Those step wells are amaaaazing by the way. Sadly they are in decline in India, so their representation in a videogame is fantastic. Their unhappiness thing is bullocks: ask Pakistan how unhappy they are about their constant quarrels with India.

Aldo on
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Poland is the flat strongest civ, I think. Maya, Korea, and Babylon are also all very good.

I'm gonna throw in a vote for Shoshone. They have a very reliable early game and that's the most important part of civ and IMO the place where you feel the difference the most when going up a level.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If you want to save scum the strongest is probably Spain, but I'd agree with Poland/Babylon/Korea as the top 3. I feel like Poland and Babylon get better dirt than Korea, but I'm biased against jungle.

Aldo wrote: »

Shah Jahan with a bonus that ties in with the obnoxious amount of palaces, forts and gardens he built during his reign. Plenty of recognizability from the Taj Mahal and a strong character to build a UI personality around.

Those step wells are amaaaazing by the way. Sadly they are in decline in India, so their representation in a videogame is fantastic. Their unhappiness thing is bullocks: ask Pakistan how unhappy they are about their constant quarrels with India.

The unhappiness thing is obviously tied to Ghandi, and not India. I had a feeling that was going to be part of their mechanics, and e-bum I feel it's pretty weak in single player.

A steak! wrote: »
    If you want to save scum the strongest is probably Spain, but I'd agree with Poland/Babylon/Korea as the top 3. I feel like Poland and Babylon get better dirt than Korea, but I'm biased against jungle.

Poland has a plains bias, which means they're considerably more likely to get a salt local monopoly. And Poland salt starts are worth like two difficulty levels.

I get them a fair amount with Babylon as well, although not as much as Poland. I don't know how much salt/wheat I'd need to pass up a GBR or KSM start with Spain, but it would be a lot.

So India is designed to discourage aggression. Going to war with them hurts you, and overwriting their religion with your own helps them.

They're like a thorns damage Civ.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »

I'm gonna throw in a vote for Shoshone. They have a very reliable early game and that's the most important part of civ and IMO the place where you feel the difference the most when going up a level.
    This bit is why I've wanted a Civilization game where each civ "morphs" as you go through eras. I think three "versions" is probably the sweet spot, making things change enough to be reasonable while also having a large range of time to choose a good name and identity from.

For instance, each civ would have an Ancient, Medieval, and Modern identity. Instead of a simple "Greece" civ led for all time by one leader, it might start out as Macedon in the Ancient era, become Byzantium for the Medieval era, and finally be Greece for the modern era. Each of these three identities would have unique leaders and bonuses, including era-appropriate units and buildings.

This would make the "total" number of civs rather small (in terms of which you can pick from), but many former stand-alone civs would find an identity somewhere in one of the civ chains. A few of these could be a little uncomfortable (native American civs becoming modern American nations), but I think it would be worth it for preserving the historical feel of each era. I always hate running into the US in the ancient era, for example, enough that I often set all the AI civs manually just so I can ensure that doesn't happen.

This would also lead to better balance since each civ would have something unique about it in every era. No more problematic civs that don't get their goodies until late-game, making them likely to be destroyed long before such a point even arrives, or early-game powerhouses that dominate in the hands of a player but quickly become irrelevant in the hands of the AI.

I've long wondered how hard it would be to program a mod to do this.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting