As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited April 2017 in Critical Failures
This is the out-of-character thread for a Vampire: The Masquerade Campaign, IC thread here.

Dice rolls can be done either via Geth or off-site and linked to, whichever is preferable, ideally in a spoiler tag.

The Players
Grunt's Ghosts, Lizzy Hell (Malkavian)

AustinP0027, Alexander Jones (Toreador)

Fencingsax, Maxwell Smart (Toreador)

Boozer, Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko (Brujah)

Maclay, Danny Whelan (Malkavian)

Ardent, Deacon 'Deke' Braithwaite (Toreador)

Character Sheets

Prologue text and background follows.

New York, sometime in the last decade.

The Nosferatu had been in charge for many uneventful years, and maintained a fairly peaceful rule, to the surprise of everyone involved.

That didn't mean anyone had to like it. Prince Calebros had been a fair ruler, and even-handed in his judgments.

He was also absentee, to say the least. Few ever spoke to him personally, it was his Seneschal who had to do all the grunt work, and even then, it was often with whispers from the shadows watching his every move. No one thought the Gangrel had any real power in the city, either. It was strictly by the whims of Calebros' strings.

It wasn't long before something had to give, and soon enough, it did. Not through a coup d'etat or some such expected turmoil, though.

It was like they just up and left. The figures in the shadows stopped sharing their juicy tidbits of info. Calls for judgment went unanswered.

The sewers had gone still.

Of course, this might have been seen as a good thing for the city at large who wanted the soothsayers gone.

If not for who had taken over afterward.

tremere.gif

If they thought the Nosferatu's rule was micro-managed, they had no idea.

The new Regent, operating from an ever-relocating Chantry somewhere in Rockefeller Center, now ruled.

And she was quite known for exerting a personal touch, unlike the previous Prince. Regentia Julia was extremely hands on. She visited Elysium in person, and often.

Her judgments were delivered swiftly, and uncontested. The Tremere knew everything that went on in the city, to the extent that the Nosferatu's information network looked amateurish in comparison.

The question still remains, though: why did the Nosferatu leave? Why would they relinquish their power? Had they just gotten fed up with the inherent drama of ruling a city?

Or was it not by their choice? You're new to the city, or at very least have yet to get involved in local politics, so the question isn't of much concern.

But if you mean to get Acknowledged by House and Clan Rule, you had better get used to taking an active role.

The Pyramid doesn't take kindly to freeloaders.

Character Creation Basics
Due to my preference and greater familiarity with the NWoD rule set, I'm going to be using a mashup of NWoD rules with OWoD stats.
This means that if you have, say, Auspex 3 and Perception 2, you'll roll 5d10, and need at least one success(8 or higher) to succeed.

Please let me know if anyone objects to this or has a preference.
I'm basically homebrewing off a hybrid of the NWoD book, V:TM 2nd edition, and(if I need it), Laws of the Night(the LARP book) for reference.

What your character sheet should have:

Name: your character's name.

Player: your name/handle/whatever.

Chronicle: The Restless City

Demeanor: Your character's facade, the personality they show to the world.

Nature: Your character's actual personality.
Examples: Architect, Bon Vivant, Bravo, Caregiver, Child, Conformist, Conniver, Curmudgeon, Deviant, Director, Fanatic, Gallant, Jester, Judge, Loner, Martyr, Rebl, Survivor, Traditionalist, Visionary.
I feel this is more appropriate than NWoD's Virtue/Vice system, unless players have a preference.

Clan: Camarilla Core Clan only. Meaning Brujah, Ventrue, Toreador, Tremere, Gangrel, Nosferatu, or Malkavian.

If you play a Gangrel, you can be accepted within the Camarilla, but your clan by and large are treated as Neutrals.

I will be adhering to each clan's strengths and weaknesses, i.e. no feeding on vermin for Ventrue, developing bestial traits when Gangrel frenzy, and getting entranced by artwork if you're Toreador.
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more details on any clan.

Generation: Default is 13th, unless you buy down, and the cap is 10th.

Haven: If applicable, should be somewhere within NYC or the surrounding area. If you don't have one, the Regentia will assign one to you. That's probably not a good thing.

Concept: A brief summary of your character, i.e. 'Roving Pickpocket'.

Attributes, 5/4/3 allocated to the following(i.e. 5 to Physical, 4 to Social, 3 to Mental):
Physical - Strength, Dexterity, Stamina
Social: Charisma, Manipulation, Appearance
Mental: Perception, Intelligence, Wits

Abilities, 11/7/4 allocated to the following(specializations optional):
Talents: Acting, Alertness, Athletics, Brawl, Dodge, Empathy, Intimidation, Leadership, Streetwise, Subterfuge
Skills: Animal Ken, Drive, Etiquette, Firearms, Melee, Music, Repair, Security, Stealth, Survival
Knowledge: Bureaucracy, Computer, Finance, Investigation, Law, Linguistics, Medicine, Occult, Politics, Science

Advantages:
Disciplines, 3 points to allocate, varies on clan.

Brujah: Celerity, Potence, Presence
Gangrel: Animalism, Fortitude, Protean
Malkavian: Auspex, Dementation(or Dominate), Obfuscate (Requires a Derangement.)
Nosferatu: Animalism, Obfuscate, Potence
Toreador: Auspex, Celerity, Presence
Tremere: Auspex, Dominate, Thaumaturgy
Ventrue: Dominate, Fortitude, Presence

Backgrounds, 5 points to allocate.
Allies, Contacts, Fame, Generation, Herd, Influence, Mentor, Resources, Retainers, Status(specify what kind, i.e. Clan/Camarilla).
Virtues, 7 points to distribute among: Conscience, Self-Control, Courage.

Influence breakdowns: Bureaucracy, Finance, Health, High Society, Industry, Legal, Media, Occult, Police, Political, Street, Transportation, Underworld, and University.

Willpower: Equal to Courage rating.

Blood Pool: Roll a 1d10 to determine, +1 for whatever generation you bought down to. So if you roll a 5 and are an 11th gen, you will start with 7 blood, and a cap of 11.

Humanity: Defaults to seven, unless you buy up or drop down, but storyteller approval will be needed for an exceptionally high or low amount.

Freebie points: 15XP
Costs: Disciplines - 7 XP per dot, Attributes - 5 XP per dot, Abilities/Virtues/Willpower - 2 XP per dot,
Humanity - 1XP per dot, Backgrounds - 1XP per dot.
So a third point in Disciplines outside of creation would cost 21XP, a third Attribute would cost 15XP, and so on.

Experience point costs(for future reference: Disciplines(7), Attributes(5), Abilities/Virtues/Willpower(2), Humanity/Backgrounds(1, storyteller approval needed).

Submissions closed!

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I so in. Might replay Lizzy Hell from Mikey CTS's old game, just redo the background info.

So question: What time are we looking at this happening in? Early 2000s? Modern Day?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I so in. Might replay Lizzy Hell from Mikey CTS's old game, just redo the background info.

So question: What time are we looking at this happening in? Early 2000s? Modern Day?

Closer to modern day. The Tremere have been in charge for a good while now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Cool, Mikey's game was set in like early 90s so if I do play Lizzy, I can update what she's done in the last 20 years. Especially since she was an Anarch in that game.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I've been asked about background info for the unfamiliar, so hopefully this helps.

An interactive character sheet:

https://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/pdf/VtM/VampireRev1-Page_5dot_Editable.pdf

The Wikias are also pretty helpful, but the rabbit holes tend to go deep.

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade

Open to suggestions for something more concise. There was a cheap sale on V:TM sourcebooks a little while ago on Humble Bundle, but I think it's over.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yes please.

I mean, it's 1AM for me so I don't have time to actually do anything at the moment, but I love VtM, so I am soooooo down

Though wait, I am not sure I understand the freebie points bit.

Are the numbers next to each type ("7 to Attributes", etc), the amount of points to raise one of each thing by 1? If so, isn't the cost for disciplines ridiculously low?

If it's a total (since 7+5+2+1=15), then what are the rates (I don't know if this is one of those things you'd like to change with the house ruling)?

edited August 2016
    No, it means you can allocate seven dots among your attributes, five among your abilities, etc.

Merits/Flaws are also possible, of course, though the maximum allowed is seven points in each.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I'm a month away from having all the time in the world for this. Hmmmm.... to try or not to try

It seems this is a play by post game so drop interest... post when you can... and when your free time comes out, you wait for hours on in for one of us to wake from torpor to reply to your hundreds of posts.

edited August 2016
    @cj iwakura I think you have Nature and Demeanor backwards. Not a big deal for real, just something I noticed.

Also, do the Attributes start off at 1 like normal or 0 for your homebrew system?

Grunt's Ghosts on
    Geth roll 1d10 for Blood Pool

Blood Pool:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

@cj iwakura I think you have Nature and Demeanor backwards. Not a big deal for real, just something I noticed.

Also, do the Attributes start off at 1 like normal or 0 for your homebrew system?

Starts at 1.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2017
    Lizzy Hell (Elizabeth Hailion)
    Player: Grunt's Ghosts
    Nature: Rebel
    Demeanor: Loner
    Clan: Malkavian
    Generation: 13
    Haven: A cheap apartment in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
    Concept: Once an Anarch Hero, now a broken soul trying to outrun her sins.

Attributes
    Physical- Strength (2), Dexterity(3), Stamina (1)
    Social- Charisma (3), Manipulation (3), Appearance (2)
    Mental- Perception (3), Intelligence (2), Wits (2)

Abilities
    Talents (11)- Alertness (2), Brawl (2), Dodge (3), Intimidation (2), Leadership (1), Streetwise (3), Subterfuge (1)
    Skills (7)- Melee (2), Music (3), Stealth (2)
    Knowledge (4)- Computer(1), Finance (2), Linguistics (1)

Auspex (1), Dementation (2), Obfuscate (1)

Backgrounds
    Fame (Former Poster Child of Seattle's Rebellion) (2)
    Resources (1)
    Contacts (Indie Music Scene) (2)
    Barfly (2)

Flaw
    Schizophrenia

Virtues
    Conscience(2) Self-Control (2), Courage (3)

Willpower (3)

Blood Pool: 8

Humanity: 7

Freebie: Dementation (7), Intimidation (2), Alertness (2), Barfly (4)= 15

Disciplines(7), Attributes(5), Abilities/Virtues/Willpower(2), Humanity/Backgrounds(1)
    XP Earned: 15
    XP Left: 9

Background
    Born in Detroit, Elizabeth came from a broken home. Her drug addict mother barely paid her attention, her father could have been any man in Detroit, and she carried this rage inside her most of her childhood. She finally found love in music, especially Metal, where she found a home among the angry riffs and fuck-the-world lyrics. She and some of her friends dropped out of high school and created the band "Heir to the Devil", which Elizabeth was the drummer and songwriter for. The band broke up after the lead singer and the bass player almost killed each other over a gig.

With nothing left in Detroit, Lizzy left to Seattle, to try her hand at the new sound coming from there. She got a job as a bartender at a night club with her fake ID and it was here she first met Chantalle, a French slam poet who performed every Wednesday night. Chantalle was a strange mix of person, with her jet black hair and pale skin that clashed with her flowery skirts and faded Tie-Dye tees, eyes couldn't help but follow her around when she took the stage. Lizzy would describe it as "a twisted rant of lust and lost that lyrically made no sense yet deep inside you it does." Lizzy became entranced with the woman and her words, as did the crowds who would leave feeling as though their minds had been scrabbled and opened to something else. Lizzy spend her off time trying to copy Chantalle's style into her grunge music, feeling that the two worlds would blend perfectly. But instead, it seemed she could only create a mess of words that lacked the true understanding of chaos the woman possessed.

One night, as Lizzy was cleaning up after closing, she found a paper on a table that was written in the strangest calligraphy she had ever seen. Like the writer knew how to write but failed to be able to properly control the pen. But the words Lizzy knew, it was Chantalle's poem from that night. Lizzy set off to find the right notes to accompany the words and from it birth the only song Lizzy ever felt truly proud of, "Garden of Lost Lovers." To Lizzy, the words were a love letter between lovers who never met, whose love for each other killed them both but united them beyond this world. When Lizzy finished the last note and played the whole thing in her apartment, she suddenly noticed Chantalle was there with her. The woman's face never betrayed her thoughts and Lizzy didn't know what to say. Instead, the pale woman leaned in and kissed Lizzy. While she had never felt any true attraction to a woman before, that kiss became all that Lizzy wanted at that moment.

The next night, Lizzy was awaken not by the sights of her apartment, but by a sound, soft and subtle. It wasn't the city, nor the rain, or even the soft breaths of Chantalle who was curled up like a kitten next to her new childe. No, it was a sound, like music but made of notes Lizzy never heard before. Chantalle, to the best of her abilities being one cursed with madness, explained to Lizzy her new life as a vampire and as a Malkavian.

At first, Lizzy spend her new life much as she had her old life. She worked as a bartender, continued writing music, and woke every night to Chantalle curled up to her. Then Seattle came under Camarilla control and everything changed. Lizzy was to introduce herself to the new Prince but when he asked if anyone had grieves, she spoke out against the killing of thin bloods and those created outside of tenements of the Traditions. The new Prince, upset that one would dare speak out in such a manner, lost his composure and tried to scare the young vampire back into her place, but Lizzy was completely unfazed. In response, the Prince arrested Chantalle and forced Lizzy to complete 10 tasks for him if she wished to see Chantalle again. The young Malk agreed but gave the Prince a prophecy that his own arrogance would be his fall before she finished those tasks.

Each task was made to try to kill Lizzy or set her against those who would use her stance against the Prince as a rally cry for Rebellion. However, Lizzy completed her tasks, gained allies, and frustrated the Prince to no end. He used more and more resources to ruin her, betrayed close allies, and cause many in the Camarilla to question his right to be called Prince. Then Lizzy came to her final task. The Prince held a ball at The Space Needle's Sky Dinner. Before all of the Camarilla, the Prince gave Lizzy her final task: Kill her sire. But the Space Needle was Elysium, and forcing a vampire to kill their sire when they were promised to be freed once the tasks were completed was seen as an abuse of power. Many vampires rose up against the Prince and killed him. This event, known as the Seattle Insistent, which was the start of the rebellion to push the Cams out of Seattle. The Shadow War when on for a few years before the Camarilla were able to regain the city. The new Prince, not wanting to make the same mistake as her predecessor, decided to pardon Lizzy and the Rebels who fought against the Camarilla and not kill new vampires created outside the Traditions before her reign as Prince.

However, the deal required Lizzy to leave Seattle. The shadow war had taken it's toll on the young rebel. Many of her friends, both human and vampire, had been killed in the chaos. Chantalle had gone missing, assumed dead, and the music that had once filled her mind and guided her fate was silenced, leaving a void in her mind. She removed herself from vampire society, moving to Alaska for a short time.

In 2008, one of her old bandmates from "Heir to the Devil" found her and asked her to work for him in New York as a manager for his new record company. She agreed and flew to the city. She now works helping indie bands find gigs and make albums. And even though she now uses her real name of Elizabeth Hailion, there are still those in the New York Camarilla who know of the name Lizzy Hell and her exploits and keep a close eye on her, waiting to see if she will once again change the political tides of another Camarilla city.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I'm interested. I need to take another look at your rules implementation. Toreador or Brujah, if we're sticking with Camarilla. Because New York, right? You're either an artist or angry about it.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    I wish I could re-use some version of my Seattle By Night character, but no Ravnos apparently.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Also interested, but maybe more in a keeping-an-eye-on-the-thread way. I am getting my fill of vampire stuff from Farangu's Night's Black Agents game at the moment but maybe I'll have a fun idea.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Putting a placeholder for interest here. Never played this RPG before (only experience is via Phalla games), so working with CJ in PMs about a character concept and seeing if it's crazy, but aiming for a Toreador social character.

I noticed that you don't have Humanity listed on your sheet. Is that because we aren't going to deal with it?

We are. I'll update that part soon.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    No, it means you can allocate seven dots among your attributes, five among your abilities, etc.

Merits/Flaws are also possible, of course, though the maximum allowed is seven points in each.

Just to double check this part, that means seven individual dots in attributes plus 5 dots in abilities? Or, is it if you put 7 in attributes, you've used up all 15 (e.g. 2pts an attribute dot)?

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I will be watching this with considerable interest. I've been reading through the Bundle of Holding clanbooks thinking about V:TM quite a bit of late.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Yeah, like, it seems like attributes would be silly high.

All 9 start at 1, then you get 5/4/3 in the three categories, then 7 more? Or is it 7 dots worth and you have to pay per increase.

Ex: Start at 1, spend 2 points from your base to bring it to 3, would buying up to 4 cost 4 of your 7 freebie points or 1?

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

Just to double check this part, that means seven individual dots in attributes plus 5 dots in abilities? Or, is it if you put 7 in attributes, you've used up all 15 (e.g. 2pts an attribute dot)?

At least back when I was playing WoD stuff regularly, you got 15 freebie points and that was the cost per dot in those categories (IE 1 Attribute dot = 7 freebie points). Though I seem to remember it was Disciplines for 7, Attributes for 5, Abilities for 2, and Backgrounds for 1.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

At least back when I was playing WoD stuff regularly, you got 15 freebie points and that was the cost per dot in those categories (IE 1 Attribute dot = 7 freebie points).

That's what I thought at first, but 2 points for raising discipline is way low. You could start with 3 points in each of your clan disciplines.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

At least back when I was playing WoD stuff regularly, you got 15 freebie points and that was the cost per dot in those categories (IE 1 Attribute dot = 7 freebie points).

That's what I thought at first, but 2 points for raising discipline is way low. You could start with 3 points in each of your clan disciplines.

Or Generation 8.

Just sayin'.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »

Or Generation 8.

Just sayin'.

OP said lowest gen was 10, but yeah

I probably misinterpreted the book. I'll update when I get another look later.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2017
    Alexander Jones

Character Stats
    Name: Alexander (Alex) Jones
    Player: AustinP0027
    Nature: Chameleon
    Demeanor: Gallant
    Clan: Toreador
    Generation: 11
    Haven: An apartment in Upper East Side Manhattan (owned by his Sire)
    Concept: A fame-whore mimic
    XP: 9

Attributes
    Physical- Strength (1), Dexterity(3), Stamina (2)
    Social- Charisma (4), Manipulation (2), Appearance (4)
    Mental- Perception (3), Intelligence (2), Wits (2)

Abilities
    Talents(11): Expression (Acting) (2), Alertness (2), Athletics (2), Empathy (2), Intimidation (1), Subterfuge (2)
    Skills(7): Drive (2), Etiquette (3), Firearms (3)
    Knowledge(4): Bureaucracy (1), Linguistics (2), Politics (1)

Advantages
    Disciplines
    Auspex (1), Celerity (1), Presence (2)

Backgrounds
    Generation (2)
    Mentor (2) - Sire is a more influential person in the Toreador clan, and more importantly, in the Acting community
    Domain (1)
    Fame (Actor) (1)

Virtues
    Conscience(3) Self-Control (3), Courage (4)

Willpower (3)

Humanity (7)

Blood Pool - 4

Merits
    Protege (1pt cost)
    Friendly Face (1pt cost)

Free point spend
    1 pt for Protege
    5 pts for 4th dot in Charisma
    1 pt for Background (Gen increase)
    2pts for Firearm increase to 3
    5 pts for 4th dot in Appearance
    1 pt for Friendly Face

Background
    Alex Jones was always skilled at mimicking the things he saw. Born in upstate New York, he grew up like any normal kid, pretending to be the heroes he saw on TV and in movies, constructing elaborate imaginary scenarios and acting them out. However, as he grew, he didn’t abandon what was deemed as childish adventures. Instead, his scenarios became more elaborate, and his characters became more intricate. He spent his free time watching movies and tv shows, attempting to imitate the characters he would see, with an almost perfectionist attitude towards mimicking their every feature, how they talked, their accent, and even their mannerisms.

When he reached high school, the odd behavior translated perfectly into drama activities. Plays and musicals became his world, and he approached each of them with a work-like attitude. He had decided at a young age that his life’s goal was to be a professional actor, and he dedicated himself towards that endeavor. Luckily for him, he had an inherent talent for charisma, mixed with better than average attractiveness. In high school, any role he wanted was his, and he relished in the attention that benefited him.

High School and real life are two different things, however. Deciding he was going to make it big, he skipped going to college to study his craft further, and moved to New York City to pursing acting full time. His ego took a big hit immediately, as audition after audition passed him by. Regardless of his natural skill, there were other actors who were given parts, people he knew weren’t as skilled as he was, people less attractive than him, but still, they were getting the job and he wasn’t. To support himself, Alex took a job with a private driver service. He spent his work hours driving around the city while his free time was going to auditions.

Eventually, a chance meeting with a producer that he was hired to chauffeur opened his worldview up to reality. It started out harmlessly, as all moral degradation does. He was invited to attend a party as a producer’s escort, meant to look good but say little. He did, and suddenly found himself with a small part in a play, an extra, but still, more than he had gotten to that point. It built slowly, harmless flirtation became casual dalliances, which became more serious engagements (of varying natures). Alex treated each engagement as if it were a job, he played the part, did what he had to do, and suddenly found himself starring in commercials, and getting bigger parts in plays and even hints at offers of playing roles in movies or tv shows. He even was beginning to be noticed here and there.

And then one day Emanuel came into his life. He was introduced by Alex’s latest romantic partner, a executive at a major broadcasting network that he had been cozying up to in the hopes of taking the next step to becoming a more well known actor, with better roles. Emanuel had been watching him for a while, measuring his worth, and explained that he had a unique offer to present to Alex, one that would be the answer to all his hopes and dreams. He teased Alex with the information, giving him bits and pieces in exchange for Alex doing him “favors”. Little by little he pulled Alex in, until he finally provide the grand reveal. The vampire world was explained to the young actor, and his acceptance was followed quickly behind.

Now, Alex works to find the balance of his newfound state with the world he is still aching to reach. His turning amped up the qualities that he already had, and his new clan, Toreador, emphasized these traits and desires even further. Still, there was the internal need to get more attention, more fame, more notoriety that he hadn’t lost. His newfound state would be utilized to that end, while he figured out how to fit within the Vampire society. Thankfully, his Sire appeared to be well enough connected within the clan that Alex had a leg up on most newly created vampires, and as artist suitors were want to do, he was provided a living space within the City from where he could build his career. Emanuel still held the leash, though, and there were always things that Alex was required to do for his Sire, as well as his clan.

AustinP0027 on
    edited August 2016
    Yes, I totally misread the book. It just laid out a generic cost on the character sheet, but the creation section breaks it down.

The 15 Freebies can be allocated however you like, but the costs are the same as with XP: Disciplines - 7 XP per dot, Attributes - 5 XP per dot, Abilities/Virtues/Willpower - 2 XP per dot, Humanity - 1XP per dot, Backgrounds - 1XP per dot. So a third point in Disciplines outside of creation would cost 21XP, a third Attribute would cost 15XP, and so on.

An extra seven is possible with Flaws, or those can be used to purchase Merits.

Default Humanity is seven, unless you buy up or drop down.

OP to be updated accordingly.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Phew, okay, yeah it's been a while since I played VtM since (as much as I dislike the lore), VtR and nWoD have much nicer mechanics

• BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Posting interest, thinking about making a Brujah

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Posting interest as well.

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have only played once, like 15 years ago, but would love to be in. Probably Ventrue or Toreador

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If I screwed something up somewhere (mechanics or lorewise) let me know
    Name: Maxwell Smart (Yes, I know. Yes, I have heard that before. No, it isn't any funnier this time)
    Player:Fencingsax

Demeanor: Gullible
    Nature: Explorer

Clan: Toreador

Generation: 12th

Haven: Leased a basement in Queens

Concept: Vamthropologist

Attributes:
    Physical - Strength(2), Dexterity(3), Stamina(3)
    Social: Charisma(4), Manipulation(1), Appearance(2)
    Mental: Perception(2), Intelligence(2), Wits(3)

Abilities, 11/7/4 allocated to the following(specializations optional):
    Talents: Acting, Alertness, Athletics, Brawl, Dodge, Empathy(2), Intimidation(1), Leadership(2), Streetwise(3), Subterfuge(3)
    Skills: Animal Ken, Drive, Etiquette(2), Firearms, Melee, Music, Repair, Security(2), Stealth(2), Survival(1)
    Knowledge: Bureaucracy(1), Computer, Finance, Investigation(2), Law, Linguistics(1)[Spanish], Medicine, Occult(1), Politics(2), Science

Advantages:
    Disciplines, 3 points to allocate, varies on clan.
    Toreador: Auspex(2), Celerity, Presence(1)

Backgrounds, 5 points to allocate.
    Allies, Contacts, Fame, Generation(1), Herd, Influence, Mentor(2), Resources(1), Retainers, Status, [Domain (1)]

Virtues, 7 points to distribute among: Conscience(4), Self-Control(3), Courage(3).

Willpower: 3

Blood Pool: 1d10+1: 9 [1d10=8]

Humanity: 7

Freebie points: 15XP (perception 5xp, Investigation 4 xp, Politics 4 xp Occult 1xp)

Background
    The most interesting thing Maxwell Smart ever did was wake up. Considering he was dead before that, it was something of a singular feat (although not unique, as he quickly learned), but before that moment, he hadn't achieved much in his life. He was usually the guy who let you borrow his notes from class, or would help explain whatever the fuck was going on with the lecture. He wasn't really part of any group, but he wasn't a loner, either. Maxwell Smart was just this guy, you know? Rather pleasant, but not particularly close. So when he fell in with people who seemed actually interesting, his first impulse was that there was a mistake somewhere. His second assumption was that they were criminals, and he was a patsy. Max figured that he would go along for awhile (these guys were fun) and then ditch them when things got unpleasant. Going along to get along is all well and good, but Max isn't stupid.

Turns out, Max may not be stupid, but he was wrong.

When he had finished being interesting, they explained to him the Masquerade. They explained to him the Camarilla, the Clans. On inquiry of why he was chosen, all he could get out of them was "There are not many genuinely pleasant behind the Masks. Revealing your truth will be beautiful, whether you emerge stronger, or are shattered into dust". Max didn't know what that meant, but it was obvious he needed to learn fast. Since he had no concrete ties to the outside world (at least, ties that couldn't be kept at arms length), Max submerged himself into his new environment. He had some money, which he used to lease a nice basement apartment from an old couple that spent most of their time in their summer home. And he began to learn exactly what being a Vampire was about, behind the flowery language and the subtle jockeying for power between clans. There was blood and fangs, and new Vampires deserved to know what was going on, before the Masquerade consumed them.

Mentor
    While Max's sire is somewhat supportive of his attitude toward the truth, (Max wasn't stupid enough to lie to her, but also not stupid enough to tell her the truth). she is not going to get into trouble by helping him snoop, either. She connected him with a relatively independent Ventrue... genealogist for lack of a better term. Sarasvat knows (or at least seems to) almost every family and sub family in the Camarilla, including their standing and current schemes. He acts as a Toreador representative to her, he helps her keep track of the lines (and provide some information from time to time) along with whatever else she needs done, and he gets access to information, and other families with an interest in information as well.

Sarasvat is an informal diplomat between clans, used as both a go between and an information broker for negotiations and disputes. While she is a Ventrue, she has some sort of connection with Nosferatu leadership. No one knows what it is, and the last people stupid enough to ask aren't around any more. An invitation to join her... book group is seen as a valuable chip to play, and if one could figure out who she was looking for, it would behoove a Vamp to move quickly to capitalize on that information...

Fencingsax on
    @cj iwakura What version of celerity and potence are you using? They've gone through many iterations.

Boozer wrote: »
    @cj iwakura What version of celerity and potence are you using? They've gone through many iterations.

Open to preference.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2016
    @cj iwakura
    Another question, will we be using str or dex for brawl/melee? I think this changed from oWoD to nWoD

I'd like to use the Celerity from V:tM 20th Anniversary Edition, because the Celerity in VtM:2nd Ed is pretty overpowered.
    I'd like to use the Potence from V:tM 2nd Ed.

So these are the versions:
    Celerity: Each point of Celerity adds one die to every Dexterity-related dice roll. In addition, the player can spend one blood point to take an extra action up to the number of dots he has in Celerity at the beginning of the relevant turn; this expenditure can go beyond her normal Generation maximum. Any dots used for extra actions, however, are no longer available for Dexterity-related rolls during that turn. These additional actions must be physical (e.g., the vampire cannot use a mental Discipline like Dominate multiple times in one turn), and extra actions occur at the end of the turn (the vampire’s regular action still takes place per her initiative roll).

Potence: The player rolls all Strength-related tests normally, but then adds an automatic success for each point he has in Potence. Thus, the character succeeds at most Strength feats without needing
    to make a roll at all. In melee and brawling combat, the automatic successes are applied to the damage roll results.

Boozer on
    edited September 2016
    It'll depend on the ability. For example, if you're using Brawl/Melee to break a door down, Str+stat. So, most likely, Str for the majority of rolls.

And I'm fine with the versions you have there, unless anyone else objects. I can already say it looks infinitely easier with NWoD's rules than OWoD's.

Also, I have four concepts to varying degrees at the moment, but I'm holding out for some others who've shown interest both here and elsewhere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    So Potence doesn't require blood at all? That's really powerful.

It's pretty OP, yes.

wVEsyIc.png