As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Further proof that dust helps run a build

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I had something comparable happen--one of my two SSDs (a Crucial M550) literally vanished off my file explorer while I was running a game minimized. Restarting didn't help--though it reappeared as soon as I unplugged and plugged both SSDs back in.

Assuming that I do not, in fact, have another bad SSD (my second one in a matter of weeks, which would completely cement the belief that SSD reliability is horse shit next to a good platter drive, from which I never get so much as a hiccup), I might just replace the SATA cables I'm using (the ones that came with my ASUS motherboard). They seemed like perfectly serviceable short SATA cables, but that's a fairly cheap fix, if it is in fact an issue.

I'm pretty it's a fluke. Even I find it hard to believe that of the five SSDs I've purchased in my lifetime thusfar, three of them would go bad.

Could possibly be your South Bridge (though you'd expect issues with the platter drive). You could also try a SATA riser card and see if that helps. If the cable change doesn't fix it.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I've tried almost everything I could think of and nothing so far. I unplugged and replugged all the components and power cables. Tried the pcu paper clip test ( that works fine ). I tried a screwdriver to connect the two power button wires and that does nothing.

It's looking like I'm just going to have to bring it in somewhere tomorrow so they can do further tests. I hate not knowing exactly what it is because I can at least try and deal with it on my own.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you all know how it goes.

steam_sig.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'll say PSU despite the paperclip test. But yeah, let us know.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Could possibly be your South Bridge (though you'd expect issues with the platter drive). You could also try a SATA riser card and see if that helps. If the cable change doesn't fix it.

This was also across multiple motherboards (my Crucial M4, my first dud, caused problems across two motherboards and 3 operating systems).

I can't say with absolute certainty, but I think that rules out my motherboard's southbridge (for the first drive failure anyway).

Synthesis on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I'm looking into getting a new computer in a couple of months, and I had a quick question:

I bought a Corsair TX 650w power supply some six years ago. The guides suggest that the wattage is more than sufficient for most builds, but I'm a bit worried about the age.

How long do power supplies last, on average? Should I add a new one to the shopping list?

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Got some more headway with testing my PC. Found a MB speaker and plugged it in with just the power going to the mb and cpu. It powers up and the boot device led light stays on and I get a continuous beep with four short beeps meaning a hardware failure. I plug in a monitor, mouse and keyboard to check out the bios. So far all the ram seems to work and the voltage on the pcu looks good... I'm going to try plugging stuff back in one at a time to see what is going on.

Hmm... Plugged in my graphics card, and no lights or beeps, but I can't bring anything up on my monitor... It isn't recognizing the card. I was using on board graphics before and none of the hard drives are plugged in. Going to test an older card when I get back from breakfast.

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Question about powering a new GPU. I'm going from a Asus Strix 970, which needs an 8 pin connector, to a EVGA 1080 FTW which needs 2 8 pin connectors. My current card is powered by a 6 pin to 6+2 pin PCIE connector. I also have an extra 8 pin to 6+2 pin connector in a parts bag. Will the two of those work fine for a double 8 pin card?

EDIT: PSU is an Antec Truepower New Series 650w

Metallikat on
    Your wording (8 to 6+2) is confusing me a little, but a 6+2 is 8 so two of those will work fine, yes. If that's your situation.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    I have one connector that has 6 pins plugging into the PSU with a 6+2 end to plug into a card, and another connector that has 8 pins plugging into the PSU with a 6+2 end to plug into a card.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'm looking into getting a new computer in a couple of months, and I had a quick question:

I bought a Corsair TX 650w power supply some six years ago. The guides suggest that the wattage is more than sufficient for most builds, but I'm a bit worried about the age.

How long do power supplies last, on average? Should I add a new one to the shopping list?

I dunno I've never really had a high quality PSU drop out of me, I've got one that's 10 years old.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2016
    Sigh... Now everything is plugged back in and it powers on, but the monitor, mouse and keyboard don't switch on. No red lights on the mobu and no beeps.

Edit:

OK.. After unplugging everything, taking out and resetting the mobu, and putting every piece back in one at a time, I think I've got it! Everything seems to be in working order again. I'll give it a few days but hopefully that will be the end of it.

I'll need to open it up again to fix my cable management in there, but for now I am done.

So much for a weekend plan of playing games before I start my new job.

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Metallikat wrote: »
    I have one connector that has 6 pins plugging into the PSU with a 6+2 end to plug into a card, and another connector that has 8 pins plugging into the PSU with a 6+2 end to plug into a card.

You have a modular power supply? Are the into-PSU ends labeled? Are the sockets on the PSU labeled? They usually are; make sure the plugs all say PCI-E or something similar and you should be good. If you're unsure try taking some pictures of the PSU and plugs. Post them here and we'll look at them.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I dunno I've never really had a high quality PSU drop out of me, I've got one that's 10 years old.

Cool. That simplifies things.

Thanks.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah, I have a BFG 550W PSU that I've been carrying through upgrades since 2009. A good PSU will last a long time.

Shitty PSUs tend to break within 3 years though.

I've had a bad time with antec

corsair is my jam though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    PSU's will tend to either last forever or just one day outright die after 3ish years. There isn't much of a middle ground. I've had good and bad luck with pretty much any brand, though some will almost certainly be better than others.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    PSU's will tend to either last forever or just one day outright die after 3ish years. There isn't much of a middle ground. I've had good and bad luck with pretty much any brand, though some will almost certainly be better than others.

Some brands (Rosewill in particular) have different OEMs for each run so you really need to do some research on what they actually are. In the past there have been amazing revisions for the price and then the next gen of that run is a different OEM and is complete trash, so it pays greatly to check out places that actually gut the PSUs and tell you what you're getting into. While it might not be a perfect formula on how to get a long life PSU it can definitely tip the odds in your favor.

And for the whole magnet tray debate a few days ago...Just save one of your old HDD and gut the magnet out of it and stick it on a piece of scrap metal and use a dry erase marker to grid and label it.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    My S2716DG came today (finally, stupid UPS screwed up the order). It's... really nice. Colors seem great, played some Fallout 4 on cranked graphics with the 1070 and never noticed a stutter. I am... pretty glad I didn't get anything larger, though. I didn't realize just how much of a difference 5 inches would be over my old monitor. This one is about the largest I could comfortably put on the desk alongside my PC.

Also got a Hue+ for my birthday last week, so I'm going to open up the Manta this weekend and start a rave. All that's left for me to update is my IBM Model M keyboard and my ~6 year old Logitech mouse, thinking Corsair Lux RGB with Cherry MX Blues and the Logitech G502 Proteus. But I can hold off on those for now that the important stuff's taken care of.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    if you got hue in your pc gaming area then give this program a try: http://www.screenbloom.com/

it samples the main colour on your screen and matches the lights to it. Really sweet effects if your playing any sort of space game.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'd want any monitor larger than 27 inches for desk usage

Did you plug in the CPU power?

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Foomy wrote: »
    if you got hue in your pc gaming area then give this program a try: http://www.screenbloom.com/

it samples the main colour on your screen and matches the lights to it. Really sweet effects if your playing any sort of space game.

HUE+ is NZXT unfortunately it can't bring Atumbra levels of awesome to your monitor yet.

iRevert on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

HUE+ is NZXT unfortunately it can't bring Atumbra levels of awesome to your monitor yet.

oh well that's just confusing naming, why would you name your lighting product the same thing as something that already existed but only add a +.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

oh well that's just confusing naming, why would you name your lighting product the same thing as something that already existed but only add a +.

For the same reason that Nintendo's new 3ds is called the New 3ds.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Finally posting from my new home server, pretty pleased it booted on the first try.

I did learn a couple of things though:

1) Fractal Design's Define S is super nice. They've made a lot of improvements since the R3 (which I still have and still love). Its super easy to build in, all of the hard drive mounting locations are on the rear of the motherboard (unfortunately there's only space for 3 3.5 drives and 2 2.5 drives, but I really doubt that'll be a problem for most people), and best of all, none of the rubber grommets fell out! That said, while I really like the hard drive mounting solution, it did take me waaay too long to get the hard drives installed. I thought they went under the "cage" that disconnects from the case, but they go on top.

2) The Seasonic G-550 while listed as modular is really only partially modular and the extra cables didn't come sleeved which I assumed they would. Neither of those are huge issues since I can't imagine a computer that doesn't need CPU and Mobo power and sleeving really wouldn't have saved that much space/been easier to work with.

3) I've never used a stock cooler (or if I have it was like way way back in 2001/2002), so not having to install a backplate or other support screws was really weird. You don't even need tools to secure the heatsink! So weird. Its idling at about 37c so I guess its on there...

I'll post some pics after I install the last hard drives.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Finally posting from my new home server, pretty pleased it booted on the first try.

That said, while I really like the hard drive mounting solution, it did take me waaay too long to get the hard drives installed. I thought they went under the "cage" that disconnects from the case, but they go on top.

I did the same exact thing with the R5. I was getting super frustrated when suddenly the light bulb went off...

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

That said, while I really like the hard drive mounting solution, it did take me waaay too long to get the hard drives installed. I thought they went under the "cage" that disconnects from the case, but they go on top.

I did the same exact thing with the R5. I was getting super frustrated when suddenly the light bulb went off...

+1

I spent probably half an hour madly trying to get my SSD to fit underneath the cage and just about ready to lose my mind.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    To those who are particular with their case fans and cooling in general, I could use some recommendations. I have the 750D and the Corsair Hydro Series H115i, cpu temp is solid but I feel like the ambient temperature of the case could be better.

I am looking to replace my two front intake fans and the rear exhaust fans, suggestions?

Aretè on
    Spend some money on AF120s for all your intake/exhaust slots and you'll be happy.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I am also very happy with my Corsair AF120's, though I SHOULD have bought AF140's. Just get the biggest fans your case will support, more air for less noise.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    AF120s, duly noted. Thanks!

Using a SATA2 cable from before SATA3 was a thing shouldnt impact speeds when connecting a SATA3 drive to a SATA3 port? I'm pretty sure the SATA revisions have been at the controller level and not the ribbon level, but honestly I'd rather double check.

Not really a huge difference, but there is a bit of difference in them just like there's a difference between cat5, cat5e, and cat6.

A good quality SATA3Gb/s cable should be able to handle 6GB/s no problem.

Cheapo cables obviously will still be cheap.

Welp, heres hoping Asus included decent cables 8 years ago.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    AF140s have like a 66cfm airflow right

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Paladin wrote: »
    AF140s have like a 66cfm airflow right

Technically there are slight differences in AF140 models, but when you're looking at the gap between 66.4cfm@1200RPM and 67.8cfm@1150rpm the difference is the definition of "academic".

What's more important is this: what bitchin' LED colors are you going with? This is the most important decision in any build.

SmokeStacks on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Cat6 is a pain to terminate. Outdoor cat6 doubly so. Running through the middle of every cat6 cable is a small nylon cord and a plastic "t" to separate each of the twisted pairs with a double outer layer on the outdoor variety. God forbid they would bundle the pairs in b standard. No, you have to cut the cord and plastic t back and wrestle the right pairs together. If you didn't cut the t far enough back you won't get the strands to line up right. At work we use these nifty 2 piece rj45 connectors that have a fantastic wire guide. I've gotten pretty good at lining the strands up just right to wiggle them in place since doing this massive wiring job for one of my clients.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Cat6 is a pain to terminate. Outdoor cat6 doubly so. Running through the middle of every cat6 cable is a small nylon cord and a plastic "t" to separate each of the twisted pairs with a double outer layer on the outdoor variety. God forbid they would bundle the pairs in b standard. No, you have to cut the cord and plastic t back and wrestle the right pairs together. If you didn't cut the t far enough back you won't get the strands to line up right. At work we use these nifty 2 piece rj45 connectors that have a fantastic wire guide. I've gotten pretty good at lining the strands up just right to wiggle them in place since doing this massive wiring job for one of my clients.

Ugh, god, I wish I had those when I was wiring my house for internet. Cat6 is a total pain in the ass. Its nice to not have to worry about wireless signals though.

This discussion has been closed.