As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Use at your own risk. Some of the expo lines are fairly narrow so you might wind up taking too much space. You should also be ready to move at a moment's notice. The theater Enforcers will periodically compress their lines; they're not doing it to be jerks, but to get a better idea of how full the panel will be.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Use at your own risk. Some of the expo lines are fairly narrow so you might wind up taking too much space. You should also be ready to move at a moment's notice. The theater Enforcers will periodically compress their lines; they're not doing it to be jerks, but to get a better idea of how full the panel will be.

Thank you, the tripods are about a foot and a half long and can fit in a bag, so space/mobility shouldn't be a problem.

May PAX be upon you.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    A general thing that I have noticed (and just makes sense due to the nature of panels and lines) is that the closer to the beginning of a thing, the less likely you will be able to use a stool. The lines are compressed more often and more aggressively as the event draws nearer, for the reason(s) whypick1 mentioned. If you are waiting way before the start of something and the line is pretty sparse, space will be (temporarily) less of an issue.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's also important to remember that stools are something you have to carry around, and while they may seem light now, you may resent them when your pack is full of various other things and you've been walking around the convention hall for miles.

YL9WnCY.png
  • pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular

Worth mentioning that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild won't be there.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    It's also important to remember that stools are something you have to carry around, and while they may seem light now, you may resent them when your pack is full of various other things and you've been walking around the convention hall for miles.

Oh, I've already used it at SDCC, weights definitely not a problem.

May PAX be upon you.
  • the y3k bugthe y3k bug Registered User new member
    I have heard something about poster tubes being a desired thing at previous PAX Cons. Is this true? If so what size would one recommend?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I have heard something about poster tubes being a desired thing at previous PAX Cons. Is this true? If so what size would one recommend?
    If you have any plans to buy a poster, bring a tube. Full stop. I consider it negligent that the places that sell posters don't have tubes to buy for them. Basically any poster bought that doesn't go into a tube will get beat up to some degree, and I've seen many just be wrecked. I'd say 18" will probably cover most any poster (assuming the tube isn't too narrow). A quick survey of Fangamer didn't turn up any that wouldn't fit in an 18". You might have trouble trying to buy one around downtown if you don't pack one in.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I will say I wished I'd had one my first year (either '10 or '11, can never remember which) as it seemed almost every booth was handing out posters. As the years have gone on I've acquired less and less posters every time, so I feel if you don't plan on actually buying posters (just taking whatever's free) you probably don't absolutely need one.

I do have a rather nice poster tube though with a strap, I may bring it anyway just to collectively protect everyone's posters in the hotel for my group. The best poster tubes come from art stores in my experience, the ones you find elsewhere are typically just for mailing so they're more annoying to carry without a strap.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    One thing I was curious about: has West adopted check-in security measures similar to East? I know East is unique given what happened in Boston, but I was wondering if that was adopted by every PAX or just something Boston is doing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    One thing I was curious about: has West adopted check-in security measures similar to East? I know East is unique given what happened in Boston, but I was wondering if that was adopted by every PAX or just something Boston is doing.

South this year had bag checks, but it's business as usual at West. West is probably too disperse for them to adopt bag checks and not be an extreme inconvenience.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    It would be inconvenient but they could do it if they need to. And it's not so bad at East. But, I don't think they are this year at least because there wasn't a mention of it in the letter that came with the tickets iirc.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Anyone ever have any luck going to a panel in one room, then filing out and netting a seat for another panel in the same room right after?

Just realized that the Gwent and Mafia panels are scheduled this way and I'd really like to hit up both but I'm not sure if I remotely have a chance on the second one.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Anyone ever have any luck going to a panel in one room, then filing out and netting a seat for another panel in the same room right after?

Just realized that the Gwent and Mafia panels are scheduled this way and I'd really like to hit up both but I'm not sure if I remotely have a chance on the second one.
    It's doable, but the difficulty increases with the popularity of the second panel. I wouldn't bank on it being successful, but it can't hurt to go back out and see if there's still room in the line for the next one.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It's doable, but the difficulty increases with the popularity of the second panel. I wouldn't bank on it being successful, but it can't hurt to go back out and see if there's still room in the line for the next one.

Thanks! I figured it doesn't hurt to try since it's literally a matter of 5 ft. Guess we'll see how hyped folks are about Mafia then!

• krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    I've done that before, it's entirely doable sometimes. Other panels, you gotta start lining up the second the panel before it starts filling in.

• rkenshinrkenshin Registered User regular
    Will there be bag checks at this PAX since East and South are doing it?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Pavio wrote: »
    It would be inconvenient but they could do it if they need to. And it's not so bad at East. But, I don't think they are this year at least because there wasn't a mention of it in the letter that came with the tickets iirc.

• Sideburns77Sideburns77 Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    I am from Vancouver and want to drive up to Seattle for PAX, not really sure how it works. I figured everything would take place at one venue, but there are two specific panels I really want to see, at two different locations - one at the Grand Hyatt and one at the Westin... Wha? Is it expected, or normal for people to be driving around to different hotels for panels they want to see? My bad if this question is a dumb one - never been to one of these types of conventions.

Sideburns77 on
  • nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I am from Vancouver and want to drive up to Seattle for PAX, not really sure how it works. I figured everything would take place at one venue, but there are two specific panels I really want to see, at two different locations - one at the Grand Hyatt and one at the Westin... Wha? Is it expected, or normal for people to be driving around to different hotels for panels they want to see? My bad if this question is a dumb one - again, never been to one of these types of conventions.

Don't drive from hotel to hotel. It's all within walking distance. I usally either park at a Park-and-Ride and take a bus in, or I park at Pacific Place. You can park at WSCC too, it's just more expensive.

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • Sideburns77Sideburns77 Registered User new member
    nixter wrote: »
    I am from Vancouver and want to drive up to Seattle for PAX, not really sure how it works. I figured everything would take place at one venue, but there are two specific panels I really want to see, at two different locations - one at the Grand Hyatt and one at the Westin... Wha? Is it expected, or normal for people to be driving around to different hotels for panels they want to see? My bad if this question is a dumb one - again, never been to one of these types of conventions.

Don't drive from hotel to hotel. It's all within walking distance. I usally either park at a Park-and-Ride and take a bus in, or I park at Pacific Place. You can park at WSCC too, it's just more expensive.

Good to know they are all within walking distance. Many thanks, much appreciated!!

This shows all the theater locations (although you should enter the Sheraton from Pike instead of Union).

Even if they were more spread out, I would not recommend driving in downtown Seattle at all if it can be avoided.

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Is the medical badge queue going to be in the sky ridge lobby again? This was the best place it has been and I'm hopping it is there again.

Also, is will call/medical badge pickup in the same place again? Sheraton hotel right? Or was it the Hyatt? Lol

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    1. Yes
    2. Medical badges are with registration, which has moved back to the ticket windows on WSCC 1.

• ImJayceeImJaycee Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    I'm going to be picking up my badges on Thursday. Is there anything in particular that I need to bring other than ID? Are there extremely long lines when picking them up?

ImJaycee on
    edited August 2016
    Photo ID and confirmation page (with barcode) of your purchase.

Photo ID must match person on the receipt

whypick1 on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    I picked mine up on Thursday last year, no long lines at all.

Seems as though it is in a different place this year?

Can someone tell me where the 'Ticket windows' are at the WSCC? Please don't say it is in the tunnel thing that goes under it is it? As that is always a huge mass of people when I drove through that on Thursdays lol.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

edited August 2016
    Double post.

Bluemeane on
    jj0mqt5d2a94.png

Bluemeane wrote: »

Can someone tell me where the 'Ticket windows' are at the WSCC? Please don't say it is in the tunnel thing that goes under it is it? As that is always a huge mass of people when I drove through that on Thursdays lol.

That would be the place.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Photo ID and confirmation page (with barcode) of your purchase.

Photo ID must match person on the receipt

None of my confirmation pages have a barcode--should there be one? I have a couple e-mails confirming, and the charge to my card.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
    That might be a change from previous years then. As long as there's an order number and billing address present you should be fine. They just need enough info to look up your purchase.

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    That might be a change from previous years then. As long as there's an order number and billing address present you should be fine. They just need enough info to look up your purchase.

I think they mean that QR code box, but yeah I would think as long as you have an order number or something it should be fine.

XyqJPIp.png
  • acyamaacyama Registered User new member
    Hello - prepping for our first PAX experience! The first event we hope to attend is at the Main stage Saturday morning. Do we need to go to the convention hall first or go straight to Benaroya to stand in line? Thx

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    acyama wrote: »
    Hello - prepping for our first PAX experience! The first event we hope to attend is at the Main stage Saturday morning. Do we need to go to the convention hall first or go straight to Benaroya to stand in line? Thx

Should be able to go straight to Benaroya :)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Go to Benaroya unless you have to pick up your passes from will call or something. The line for main theater is at main theater.

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Bluemeane wrote: »

That would be the place.

EDIT: Ok, checked with #PAX and found out where it is (road named Convention Place). For some reason, I was thinking the road went into the parking garage or a ramp to I5

Facepalm

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    New email from PAX seems to create an interesting situation.
    1) PAX Arena has moved to the Expo Hall
    2) For the Watch happens in the PAX Arena on Friday at 6:30 PM
    3) Expo hall closes daily at 6:00 PM (Not in the email, but stated many other places)

Anyone know how this is going to work? Or just figure it out when we get there?

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    So, due to some crappy happenings, the boy and I will not be getting in until tomorrow morning now. Earliest we can reasonably be there is 12:30pm (more than likely it'll be later). Would I still be able to get medical badges (I have my form and such), or is that too late? If I can, where do I get them?