As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat people opinions required!

2»

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I'll second World Best cat litter. Flushable litter, with a litter box in the bathroom, I can't believe it took me 6 months to figure that out. Oh, and hacking an Ikea cabinet to partially hide the litter box helped too.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Amazon reviews for pine litter indicate that if you do go that route, you can save a ton of money by going to a feed store and getting horse pellets instead.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Thats a gorgeous little beastie, man.

Well the little is arguable heh. To put pic in perspective I am 6 foot 3, 240 pounds.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    I'll second World Best cat litter. Flushable litter, with a litter box in the bathroom, I can't believe it took me 6 months to figure that out. Oh, and hacking an Ikea cabinet to partially hide the litter box helped too.

YMMV. World's Best totally didn't work for my cats. My male cat sniffed it and would occasionally eat a little of it, and neither of my cats ever used it for its intended purpose.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

YMMV. World's Best totally didn't work for my cats. My male cat sniffed it and would occasionally eat a little of it, and neither of my cats ever used it for its intended purpose.

We cheated. They were used to traditional litter and switched it out slowly before the cat had the bonus claws removed. With anything cat related you have to condition and trick them over time.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Not sure what horse pellets or pine litter is, but if they are the little compressed sawdust cillinders, then yes, those are amazing.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular

Where's the obligatory photo of the setup?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Litter crystals are amazing for litter trays. Absorbs all the odour, absorbs all of the liquid from liquid waste, so you only have to put a plastic bag over your hand once or twice a day and scoop the poops out, apart from that you change the tray once a week or so.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    As someone who owns a half maine coon rescue, you do understand how big they get right? my Half maine is almost 40 pounds,

a full maine is basically a large dog.

Wait seriously? That's like double the normal weight of a Maine Coon. That is a huuuuge kitty.

Ours growing up was 28lbs at his peak and the vet was actually worried about that. They generally don't break 20lbs.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Every now and then, it's probably best to change all of the litter, not just refilling.

Some cats are really picky about food. But some cats will just keep eating as long as there is food, and indoorsy cats don't need as much energy as outdoorsy cats. It's not always a good idea to keep the bowl full, especially with leftover people-food for big, lumbering humans.

Indoorsy cats may end up swallowing a lot of hair all year round.

Think the most cats I've had to deal with at the same time was like ten.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Cat's have some complex math attached to them.

For instance, if you can get them as kittens at the same time (3-4 months max), 2 cats are better than one.
    However when you have an older cat and a second newer cat, the imaginary numbers add up to hissing and annoyance.

As far as the litter goes. The best litter Ive found in a mass market, reasonable cost product is the BLACK color branded Tidy Cat. It's very good at clumping and odor control especially if you scoop every day/other day.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Iruka wrote: »
    My rescue is super, duper cuddly, and when we leave him alone he gets sad. I would suggest pairs. One bored cat with nothing to do will occupy himself, sure, but its probably important to note that they may occupy themselves by fucking up your shit if they lack attention. Also if you are a light sleeper, they might occupy themselves with their new lifelong game: bat at the humans face for food.

Seconding the advice for pairs. Having a buddy cat means they'll suffer less separation anxiety when you're gone. The downside is that it may mean they are less generally cuddly, since they don't need you for cuddles. The cats Strikor and I have are independent like that, but also have their cuddle moments. I am happy that I rescued them at the same time because it's much harder to make cats bond if you don't adopt together.

I kind of disagree. I got my two at the same time, and they definately get jelious of attention...if ones rubbing on you, the other will be along shortly.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    As someone who owns a half maine coon rescue, you do understand how big they get right? my Half maine is almost 40 pounds,

a full maine is basically a large dog.

Wait seriously? That's like double the normal weight of a Maine Coon. That is a huuuuge kitty.

Ours growing up was 28lbs at his peak and the vet was actually worried about that. They generally don't break 20lbs.

Ya Vet constantly double checks his weight and bmi, he's just a big muscle fluffball

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Iruka wrote: »
    My rescue is super, duper cuddly, and when we leave him alone he gets sad. I would suggest pairs. One bored cat with nothing to do will occupy himself, sure, but its probably important to note that they may occupy themselves by fucking up your shit if they lack attention. Also if you are a light sleeper, they might occupy themselves with their new lifelong game: bat at the humans face for food.

Seconding the advice for pairs. Having a buddy cat means they'll suffer less separation anxiety when you're gone. The downside is that it may mean they are less generally cuddly, since they don't need you for cuddles. The cats Strikor and I have are independent like that, but also have their cuddle moments. I am happy that I rescued them at the same time because it's much harder to make cats bond if you don't adopt together.

I kind of disagree. I got my two at the same time, and they definately get jelious of attention...if ones rubbing on you, the other will be along shortly.

It definitely depends on the cat's personality as well. Some cats can never get enough cuddles.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Every now and then, it's probably best to change all of the litter, not just refilling.

Some cats are really picky about food. But some cats will just keep eating as long as there is food, and indoorsy cats don't need as much energy as outdoorsy cats. It's not always a good idea to keep the bowl full, especially with leftover people-food for big, lumbering humans.

I dunno, but i think emptying and cleaning the litterbox is a weekly job. Maybe bi-weekly if you have outdoor cats that do most of their business "elsewhere".

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    bwanie wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

I dunno, but i think emptying and cleaning the litterbox is a weekly job. Maybe bi-weekly if you have outdoor cats that do most of their business "elsewhere".

When I'm on litter box duty, I don't scoop. I do a full change once a week.

My housemate scoops daily and only does a full change once every 4-6 weeks or so.

I can't really tell any difference between the two strategies. I just hate scooping. His strategy definitely uses less litter tho.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it will depend on the cat. our guys are ok with once a day/every other day with fresh litter added when i t gets low.

but some cats need more, some need less.

i would recommend getting a metal scoop. soooo much better than those shitty plastic ones

camo_sig.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I use heavy duter liners for my cats' litter, and they still shred the hell out of it. That dictates when I change the litter more than anything else, really.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like liners. Even if they get shredded, they prevent litter from sticking to the pan.

You can't just pull a liner out and carry it to the trash, though. They don't substitute for a garbage bag.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    You actually need to be cautious about being "too clean" when you do litter pans, especially when the cat is in a new environment. There really isn't a need to dump the entire thing every week anyway unless the cat is ill. Just be careful about using any cleaners or washing excessively. You may put the cat off using the pan because it doesn't smell right.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the other thing that keeps litter from sticking to the bottom is actually having enough litter in the pan

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    the other thing that keeps litter from sticking to the bottom is actually having enough litter in the pan

This is a pretty good thing to mention. Lots of people put half an inch in the pan and then wonder why it's such a mess. It should be a few inches deep at least.