As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prepare for rain

DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
edited September 2016 in PAX West
For the first time in years, it's gonna be a rainy weekend at PAX this year. Steady light rain Thursday evening, heavier rain Friday morning, then scattered showers through Saturday. So bring a hat!

komonews.com/weather

Dreamwriter on

• adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Last year sucked too, at least Saturday did anyways. My friends had to leave PAX early cause the power was off at their house due to the storm. This weather signals fall and I'm not ready for summer to be over :(

adele822 on
  • beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    Just remember for those from out of town... Seattle rain is 95% drizzle. It's pretty rare for a downpour. Most people here don't even own umbrellas because the inconvenience of using one is out weighed by the tiny, misty rain.

I was just talking to someone the other day about how there are as many words for types of rain in Seattle as there are for snow in parts of Alaska. I started listing some off and it seemed accurate. My favorite is "spitting rain", as that seems to be the norm.

• sushislushiesushislushie Registered User regular
    First time in years...? It was rainy last year wasn't it? I distinctly remember wishing I had an umbrella OH HEY THANKS gonna go pack one now.

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    beowuff wrote: »
    Most people here don't even own umbrellas

My husband is from California and he couldn't believe I've never owned an umbrella. I said "why?" and he gestured out the window (where it was lightly misting at best) and said "because it rains ALL THE TIME". I said "that isn't rain. I'll tell you when it's raining".

5 years later (read: 5 cycles of fall, winter and spring rain) he looked at me and said "I get it now"

one of us one of us

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    One word for out of towners that sums up the Seattle rain culture and vocabulary:

Sunbreaks.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Bring on the tempest!

boTdSSK.png
  • sqizRoxsqizRox Mountain Goat Central Valley, California, USARegistered User regular
    First time in years...? It was rainy last year wasn't it? I distinctly remember wishing I had an umbrella OH HEY THANKS gonna go pack one now.

Yes. It rained crazy hard a couple of times. I got nearly soaked to the bone after being in it for a few minutes.