As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Legion: Kingdoms are being burnt

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    People are going to be 110 and well geared enough to start Mythics

And here I am still level 101.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Humm... well i hit 110 last night. Slower then some but I think i have a majority head start. This afternoon after work, I should have enough empowered soul shards to continue the class hall quests (Damn time sinks...I had to do 5 8-12 hour missions). I'm a tailor so I think I want to press that questline as hard as i can, get to the point of making imbued silkweave wraps since everyone is going to need those for Obliterum forges.

I need to make friends with a leatherworker or two and a blacksmith...maybe we can form an obliterum cartel before anyone else and corner the market.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I'm almost done with Highmountain as far as I can tell. While I love new content, I haven't really liked the zone all that much. I'm hoping my next choice will turn out a bit better. It has been mostly made up for by my glee at seeing Light's Wrath is getting hot! Randomly nuking things for 500k is amusing for sure. I can't really tell how many levels you're "supposed" to get per zone, but I just crested 103 with no rested, so maybe 3.5-4?

I finished Aszuna last night and had some rested for it and did all 4 artifact quests and some of my order hall items. It got me to just barely past 104 for that one zone.

I recall Highmountain being one of the longer and less interesting zones when I did it, but a lot of that is personal preference. Stormheim and Valsharrah are my next two destinations and hopefully I'll hit 110 without needing to do Highmountain.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm lvl 101 atm, would it be at all worth it to do some questing in Tanaan Jungle? I'm a returning player, entirely skipped MoP and WoD.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I'm lvl 101 atm, would it be at all worth it to do some questing in Tanaan Jungle? I'm a returning player, entirely skipped MoP and WoD.

Not really. Just go do the new Legion content. You'll get more XP and gear, artifact power, and relics.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Kai_San wrote: »

I'm already 826, because I jumped in with a bunch of guildies doing mythics.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I may start a Demon Hunter just so I have another high level hordie to play with folks. Even though I really don't have much interest in them.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Save it for later if you are into lore and want to get the backstory of what led to legion. You can make some decent money as well at max level + selling/DEing all the crap.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you can't really quest in tanaan without doing a fair amount of prep work in draenor that you don't really want to do at this point

you would be better served to just read a summary or something, and maybe go back later and build a garrison if you wanna see what the fuss was about

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Definitely listen to that audio thing they did if you're lore curious. Leads directly up to the broken shore scenario and has a lot of cool stuff in it. Surprisingly decently written too.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I may start a Demon Hunter just so I have another high level hordie to play with folks. Even though I really don't have much interest in them.

You say that now because you have never Double Jumped.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    A little delayed on this, due to being distracted by the updated Titan Quest...
    Is there a reason to make engineering goggles? They're lower iLevel than my pre legion event hat (715 vs 720)

is it just not worth making anything until level 110 and you get rank 3?

Also I saw some level 103 crafted leather pants but engi goggles look like they're always level 101 so idk

I feel like I'm missing something

Engineering goggles have a metric fuckload of secondary stats on them. Something like 3x of a normal item.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    From what I've been told, heroics are silly easy. Mythic (regular) dungeons are basically old heroics. You can't queue LFD for them, you have to go in a pre-made group. I'm not talking about mythic+ which is basically like rifts from diablo where you use a geegaw to make them hit harder.

So basically I was wondering who would be interested in being 110, and no terribly well geared and lenient with people and want to hang out and try some dungeons.

I'm in a guild with like 5 friends in it but they're all varying levels. I'm not a hard core guy but I'm hoping since most of my shit is alliance that I can get a couple of you crazy bastards interested in things on sunday so we can hang and try some content with people.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    you can't really quest in tanaan without doing a fair amount of prep work in draenor that you don't really want to do at this point

you would be better served to just read a summary or something, and maybe go back later and build a garrison if you wanna see what the fuss was about

Cool. My main is a boosted character so I think I have a garrison, not sure what the state of it is though. Also I have no professions at all and while I normally ignore them in MMOs, this time I'm kind of thinking it might be fun for various reasons. I'll have to look into some way to catch up on that, get them leveled.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    From what I've been told, heroics are silly easy. Mythic (regular) dungeons are basically old heroics. You can't queue LFD for them, you have to go in a pre-made group. I'm not talking about mythic+ which is basically like rifts from diablo where you use a geegaw to make them hit harder.

So basically I was wondering who would be interested in being 110, and no terribly well geared and lenient with people and want to hang out and try some dungeons.

I'm in a guild with like 5 friends in it but they're all varying levels. I'm not a hard core guy but I'm hoping since most of my shit is alliance that I can get a couple of you crazy bastards interested in things on sunday so we can hang and try some content with people.

Hop in discord. I'm sure once more people get mythic ready we'll be organizing runs through there. I know I plan to.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular

I'm almost 101! (Fuck you work)

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    I need to stop listening to this, but it's so funny.

(Spoilers for Warrior Class Hall stuff)

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think my Mage is 103 or 104, it'd be higher but Blizzard keeps getting ddos'd around midnight.

Granted, it's helping to make sure I go to bed earlier

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Outside of a talent being horribly under/overpowered, you should pick the talent that works best with how you play as that will garner more performance than picking whatever talent is theorycrafted to be 1% better than the rest. So if you think the more complex talent is more fun to play with than the passive talent then play with the complex talent. No one here is part of a world first guild that needs to actually care about the miniscule differences between talents/artifacts/specs/classes and putting too much stock into that stuff will just lessen your enjoyment of the game.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Outside of a talent being horribly under/overpowered, you should pick the talent that works best with how you play as that will garner more performance than picking whatever talent is theorycrafted to be 1% better than the rest. So if you think the more complex talent is more fun to play with than the passive talent then play with the complex talent. No one here is part of a world first guild that needs to actually care about the miniscule differences between talents/artifacts/specs/classes and putting too much stock into that stuff will just lessen your enjoyment of the game.

Honestly, I think this is partly why I'm diving into this expac so easily. Back in the older expacs (Cata and earlier), I would look at theorycrafting and such and try to decide if the 1% or 2% potential damage loss of picking a particular talent was worth the fun I'd have with a different choice I'd have to make. Most of the time, I took talents that weren't "the best" and made them be good because they fit my playstyle and what I enjoyed using. Now I don't have to bother with worrying about making a sub-optimal choice since most of them for any class/spec are actual sidegrades or situational. I can take the passives on my "lazy" character and only have 3 buttons to push, and I can take the ultra complex rotational choices for the characters where I love the added complexity that they add to the basic rotations or priorities. And noone is going to yell at me for it! (Except for Barrage and Sidewinders, those are always the "wrong" choice, because god forbid there's an accident and my finger slips, suddenly there's 30 extra mobs charging the poor healer. I really should just not play hunter...)

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Resubbed tonight, currently trying to get my priest up to 100. Actually that's a lie, I'm currently downloading mods and trying to get my UI to not look like ass.

Priest has changed a bit it seems, I'm going to have to read up on this Insanity mechanic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah the new talent system has created a lot of "well this is good and this is good, this one more situational." For talents. I swear other games are expanding and putting more shitty number crunching talents, but wow has actually gotten to a point where the talents are flavor and not neccessity.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    xiears wrote: »
    Resubbed tonight, currently trying to get my priest up to 100. Actually that's a lie, I'm currently downloading mods and trying to get my UI to not look like ass.

Priest has changed a bit it seems, I'm going to have to read up on this Insanity mechanic.

Shaaadow raaaaaaaaaage

• Options
    Is it a good idea or a bad idea to raise my 100s to level 101 to get their artifact and class hall missions going?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Not a terrible idea, though without actively questing you'd run out of resources soonish?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I loved the reaction one of the demons in Dreadscar Rift had when you bring in the
    Light's Heart.

"This a prank right? Right?"

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    that, and all you can really do before 110 is get the class hall campaign missions done (and maybe not even all of those, probably depends on what champs you start with.) All I've really done with my alts so far is get to their class hall and get their rested exp cooking.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

But what if you are stuck on a rather dead server is it still not like random heroics or dungeons?

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm having fun on my Mage. I've gotten my three artifacts, I've cleared Azsuna, and I've reached level 103. But I also want to play the other classes and see their order halls.

I'm thinking that I get all my alts their first artifact and let my Mage's rested XP accrue.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

I like this version better just because of the end

• Options

I like this version better just because of the end

If you watch close at the end of the one I posted, he types in "wat" which is what did it for me. I'm just imaging the character walking up, waving, and then everything goes to 11 with no warning.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Keemossi wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    An option that you explicitly said you find fun is equal to the other talents on the row?

The occasional mistake you might make renders your character crippled? Okay.

I have news for you. You are making mistakes much more significant in impact every time you walk into an instance. Using a single drinking brew at the wrong time is more significant a mistake than messing up ten blackout combo ability triggers.

Yeah, I find it *way* more fun. But it is more prone to errors and needs more effort. If I can make my character better by having the more boring talent by removing risk of errors, obviously that's better. Much of WoW is about increasing the character's power, and not choosing the objectively better talent pretty much goes against that.

And yeah, I do think the talent could be much more impactful. That's pretty much my point.

I just got ranged AoE skinning. That's pretty neat!

The problem with making it more powerful is that then forces people who do NOT find the talent fun to take it, because now it's the best.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I think mythic+ is a bad name but that makes sense!

They are actually called Mythic Keystone dungeons. The community dubbed them Mythic+.

Also, yeah, plain Mythic dungeons aren't as hard as you might think. They are a step up from Heroic, but not a massive one. We went in there with me as an 825 tank, an 825 healer, and a smattering of DPS from 800-815 and while we wiped a few times we got through four of them in the end.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

Honestly, I think this is partly why I'm diving into this expac so easily. Back in the older expacs (Cata and earlier), I would look at theorycrafting and such and try to decide if the 1% or 2% potential damage loss of picking a particular talent was worth the fun I'd have with a different choice I'd have to make. Most of the time, I took talents that weren't "the best" and made them be good because they fit my playstyle and what I enjoyed using. Now I don't have to bother with worrying about making a sub-optimal choice since most of them for any class/spec are actual sidegrades or situational. I can take the passives on my "lazy" character and only have 3 buttons to push, and I can take the ultra complex rotational choices for the characters where I love the added complexity that they add to the basic rotations or priorities. And noone is going to yell at me for it! (Except for Barrage and Sidewinders, those are always the "wrong" choice, because god forbid there's an accident and my finger slips, suddenly there's 30 extra mobs charging the poor healer. I really should just not play hunter...)

Yeah, I was stuck in a minmaxing trap for a long time, even though I stopped "hardcore" raiding during TBC and even semi-serious raiding after WotLK. It wasn't until halfway through WoD that I finally had the revelation that I have no reason to care about any of that stuff at all anymore. Now I mostly pick talents based on visual effects and/or whichever talent results in the smoothest rotation.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Yeah, I was stuck in a minmaxing trap for a long time, even though I stopped "hardcore" raiding during TBC and even semi-serious raiding after WotLK. It wasn't until halfway through WoD that I finally had the revelation that I have no reason to care about any of that stuff at all anymore. Now I mostly pick talents based on visual effects and/or whichever talent results in the smoothest rotation.

Yea, exactly. I was stoked when I found out DH had a talent that removed the "builder" ability for their energy thing. People I talked to called it boring and not as good as the others in that row, but I cared not. My DH only cares about murdering things that are demons, and he does that best when he doesn't need to build up rage or fury or whatever it's called and can just dash around and slash stuff like he's an anime character.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    The problem with making it more powerful is that then forces people who do NOT find the talent fun to take it, because now it's the best.

And the problem with making it equal in power is it forces people (well, it forces me, in any case) to pick the incredibly boring talent that's just better because you can't ever fail with it. If the two talents are equal with very good play, the stupid boring talent is inevitably better since humans make mistakes.

Got around to running some mythics as well. It was damn fun, some of the bosses felt like the glorious times of early Cata heroics. Went from 818 to 829 from like 4 mythics. Maw of Souls and Vault of the Wardens end bosses were rough (and really enjoyable), the rest wasn't too bad. Brewmaster self heals are insane when on low health, it's easy to sustain health almost indefinitely against bosses with healer dead.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Keemossi wrote: »

And the problem with making it equal in power is it forces people (well, it forces me, in any case) to pick the incredibly boring talent that's just better because you can't ever fail with it. If the two talents are equal with very good play, the stupid boring talent is inevitably better since humans make mistakes.

And my point is that you are blowing that potential dropoff from making mistakes WAY out of proportion. A mistake might drop the power of Blackout Combo to 99% of High Tolerance, but you're acting like it drops it to 30% of it.

Other mistakes you make like missing an interrupt, failing to silence a caster, or any other mistake tanks can make, is going to be 10x more significant than occasionally flubbing your blackout combo.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, but you can interrupt regardless of what talent you take. If we're doing hyperboles, raiding with the cool fishing pole is obviously ok because it's better than jumping off the cliff. Or something, I'm not very good at this. Anyway, if you fail with the more complex talent, you should take the stupid boring talent instead. And since they're more or less equal when you fail very little.. why would you ever take the more complex talent? It's inevitable that any player will make mistakes.

Also, the fact that making a mistake with Blackout Combo (and other more interesting talent choices) isn't very impactful is part of the problem I have with this. It should matter what you do, what buttons you press.

One thing that makes me happy with the early dungeons is tank damage being relevant. I'm often above some dps players even in boss fights.. could be it's the dps or their gear to blame, but regardless it's so much better than doing <30% of what dps does. It matters, especially in 5 mans. I hope this does scale into raids at least somewhat.

Keemossi on
This discussion has been closed.