As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ah, well then. We're good!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Finally giving V20 a gander. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like there's too much here that what I have doesn't touch upon, apart from rule tweaks, more Natures/Demeanors, and some new Backgrounds(Black Hand Membership[NO], Rituals, Domain, Alternate Identity), none of which I see as being too crucial.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The Ability list in V20 is slightly different, the only importanat one that jumped out at me was that they got rid if the dodge talent and use the athletics talent for dodging rolls in combat.

The bigger thing I didn't notice before is that in V20 char creation, you get 7/5/3 dots for attributes and 13/9/5 dots for abilities.

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sounds like they took a page from NWoD's book there, like with most of the mechanics(for the better). Probably wouldn't need to homebrew it if I owned that. Oh well, close enough.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2016
    Yeah I've played oWoD and a little nWoD, and those numbers seemed high, but I only have a copy of V20 now.

I do like the dodge change though, it's an oddly specific skill.

If you like I can post the ability list. Like I said, it's like 85% the same.

Boozer on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    V20 is probably the best version of Vampire. Backgrounds and Abilities saw a lot of refinement.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    All right, I added to my attributes.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I should probably pick up V20 at some point.

I'm not really into the print on demand model yet, though. I should probably also get over that.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited September 2016
    Well, that was easy enough.

Six submissions, and so: six players. Three need to make blood rolls, unless I missed them.

Grunt's Ghosts, Lizzy Hell (Malkavian) - 8 Blood (Starting)

AustinP0027, Alexander Jones (Toreador) - 4 Blood (Starting)

Fencingsax, Maxwell Smart (Toreador) - 9 Blood (Starting)

Boozer, Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko (Brujah) - 12 Blood (Starting)

Maclay, Mickey 'Mouse' McGlynn (Malkavian) - 7 Blood (Starting)

Ardent, Deacon 'Deke' Braithwaite (Toreador) - 8 Blood (Starting)

Going to do the number crunching, so if you need to make any changes now, feel free. I aspire to have an IC thread up soon, possibly tonight, but no rush on that until your character goes into play.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My blood pool roll is 9

Ah, there it is, was looking for Geth.

wVEsyIc.png
    I used orokos. Also, added some mentor background

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    I might change my name, it had slipped my mind what Fencingsax's avatar was when I came up with it.
    If you want to do anything specific with my mentor feel free, if not I should be able to come up with something in the next few hours.
    Otherwise, if everything else looks legit,
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Blood Pool

Blood Pool:
    1d10+2 7 [1d10=5]

Eh, I don't mind.

edited September 2016
    Fencingsax wrote: »

His sire's backstory seems a little vague, unless that's deliberate. Also, what is his second language?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Since it doesn't seem like many people took on Merits/Flaws, I found a nice guide.

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/createvtm/merits2.html

wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2016
    Eh, I don't mind.

Well, it's partly to avoid any risk of confusion, but also because I'm not actually as obsessed with the letter M as it suggests:
    Maclay, Mickey 'Mouse' McGlynn (Malkavian)
    whose avatar is Madrox, the Multiple Man with the letter M tattooed on his face...

Anyway, if there are no objections let's try:

Danny Whelan

A nice normal name that won't draw any undue attention.

Edit: Added a section on my mentor to my backstory and changed the name.

Maclay on
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for blood

blood:
    1d10+3 8 [1d10=5]

Deacon 'Deke' Braithwaite

Background:
    A rebellious son of a New York real estate mogul, Deke Braithwaite smashed the glass walls of polite society with his silver spoon before he caught the eye of his Sire. Or maybe the legendary parties he threw are what caught the eye of Magdalena. Nobody really pretends to know what drives the flighty Toreador, but she Embraced Deke shortly after his 23rd birthday. Deke, a freshly minted architect with his New York state license in hand had been of a mind to settle in to his father's firm and work on the design part of the business, while his brother Thurmond managed the acquisition part. Magdalena declared this 'boring' and re-designated Deke 'boring' and lost most of her interest in him shortly after the Embrace. Magdalena, however, dragged him into the world of Elysium and its constant political squabbling, endless pissing contests, and fabulous parties. An environment Deke could thrive in, maybe, if he recovered his old spirit.

Statistics:
    Concept: Playboy

Demeanor: Bon Vivant

Nature: Capitalist

Haven (Domain): Braithwaite Opticon Hotel, Midtown

Strength 2, Charisma 3, Perception 3
    Dexterity 2, Manipulation 3, Intelligence 3
    Stamina 2, Appearance 2, Wits 2

Alertness 1, Brawl 1, Dodge (or Athletics, whichever we're doing) 1, Empathy 1, Streetwise 1, Subterfuge 1, Carousing 2

Etiquette 2, Performance 1, Stealth 1

Academics 2, Finance 1, Law 1, Politics 2, Science 2, Architecture 3

Auspex 1, Celerity 1, Presence 1

Allies 3, Contacts 2, Domain 3, Generation 3 (10th)

Conscience 1, Self-Control 2, Courage 5

Humanity 7

Willpower 5

Blood 8 (Max 13)

Freebies:
    Generation 1-3
    Allies 2-3
    Self-Control 1-2
    Carousing 1-2
    Perception 2-3

cj iwakura wrote: »

His sire's backstory seems a little vague, unless that's deliberate. Also, what is his second language?

No, that was me being kinda lazy. I'll go with Spanish.

I know I built Deke around his lack of hunting ability, but
    Finally giving V20 a gander. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like there's too much here that what I have doesn't touch upon, apart from rule tweaks, more Natures/Demeanors, and some new Backgrounds(Black Hand Membership[NO], Rituals, Domain, Alternate Identity), none of which I see as being too crucial.
    I will note that Domain does make a huge impact. Each point of Domain decreases the difficulty of a hunting roll (to a minimum of 3); so a vampire like Deke who isn't well-suited to hunting can let his Domain do the work for him. It seems small, but it makes replenishing blood pool substantially easier.

Ardent wrote: »
    I know I built Deke around his lack of hunting ability, but
    I will note that Domain does make a huge impact. Each point of Domain decreases the difficulty of a hunting roll (to a minimum of 3); so a vampire like Deke who isn't well-suited to hunting can let his Domain do the work for him. It seems small, but it makes replenishing blood pool substantially easier.

Since every character seems to have one, if anyone wants to make a change to include that background(or a reasonable one from V20), they're more than welcome to.

IC thread in the works.

wVEsyIc.png
    It looks like Fame does the same correct?

If so, I'll switch out a point in resources for another point in Fame since my blood pool is so low (thanks again Geth)

I have a leftover point, so I guess I'll put it in Domain. Worth noting v20 lets you put points in both domain size and security (keeping other folk off your turf).
    One point is basically a house, so in universe I guess it would be about luring a victim in?

It looks like Fame does the same correct?

If so, I'll switch out a point in resources for another point in Fame since my blood pool is so low (thanks again Geth)

Being famous city-wide in NYC presents its own problems, though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh how delightful!

a bunch of new Childe to play with.

What fun this will be!

Also, holy god that angelfire page for merits/flaws. I remember using that years years years ago.

edited September 2016
    That's true, but I kind of hinted at that with Mentor 2 and Protégé. Kind of feels like I'm taking the cheap way out if I don't take the extra challenge.

That said, I'd hate to torpedo everyone else because of it, so I'll just flip my resource 1 to a domain 1

AustinP0027 on
    edited September 2016
    Oh is that what domain is? I think I might need to change as well, I'll also take 1 from resource

Fencingsax on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    What is the dice rolling again?

Xd10kY?

I'm going to do a check to see if Lizzy has heard of the Pyramids, being a musical person.

I'd say Music + Perception, so 6d10.

wVEsyIc.png
    Okay, this isn't fair Austin.

Sarasvat is nowhere to be found.

wVEsyIc.png
    Sorry for the long intro post. Just felt like the opening scene explain your character thing, the rest will be shorter.

Just thinking, we don't have any clear appearance stuff in our bios do we? At least, I don't. I'm going to write a little section up to draw a picture (and also have other words to use when describing the character instead of just his name over and over)

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I always think of Lizzy looking like her real world counter-part Lzzy Hale

latest?cb=20130325204234

Grunt's Ghosts on
    If they existed, she would know. She's never heard of them.

wVEsyIc.png
    Updated my sheet, I had misunderstood the freebie points. I'll add a pic when I can find a decent one, posing in the IC thread soon.

Ah, yeah, I guess an actual picture works too.

I have no idea who this is, but I think this works as probably the closest to what I have Alex looking like in my head (sans stubble)
    qq1Zgx3.jpg

edited September 2016
    Going with Opie form Sons of Anarchy. Just imagine him with black hair, even bigger, and a trimmer beard.
    m67yu392dpib.jpg

Boozer on
    edited September 2016
    celebrities-who-look-so-young-they-must-be-vampires-paul-rudd-1999
    The everyman with inexplicable charisma.

Ardent on