As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

19495969798100»

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The reason why I am putting so much stock into SU&SD's Seafall review is that they love legacy games. Pandemic Legacy was their favorite game of last year and maybe of all time?

In comparison I don't think Risk or Pandemic Legacy have been particularly good. Interesting experiences worth having? Sure. But actually good games? Not personally. I never finished my copy of Risk Legacy and while Pandemic was much better when it was all said and done our group was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.

Now 4x games I love. So a legacy 4x could be great. But for Quinn the guy that loves Legacy games to be that cold on Seafall is a huge red flag to me, the guy who thinks Legacy games thus far have been more novel than good.

So they love Legacy games and the ones they loved, you didn't.

Shouldn't that mean that the Legacy game they didn't like you may actually like a lot more?

No.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The reason why I am putting so much stock into SU&SD's Seafall review is that they love legacy games. Pandemic Legacy was their favorite game of last year and maybe of all time?

In comparison I don't think Risk or Pandemic Legacy have been particularly good. Interesting experiences worth having? Sure. But actually good games? Not personally. I never finished my copy of Risk Legacy and while Pandemic was much better when it was all said and done our group was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.

Now 4x games I love. So a legacy 4x could be great. But for Quinn the guy that loves Legacy games to be that cold on Seafall is a huge red flag to me, the guy who thinks Legacy games thus far have been more novel than good.

Shouldn't that mean that the Legacy game they didn't like you may actually like a lot more?

No.

Why? I mean, you're kind of saying they're the one true opinion on Legacy games even while disagreeing with what they've said in the same breath.

There's obviously something they value a lot more than you do so if they find something they don't like conceivably it may end up being the right configuration so that you may enjoy it a ton.

Magic Pink on

No.

Why?

Because I know my tastes, I know their tastes, and I am intelligent enough to derive my likely feelings about a game based on how those two tastes intersect based on past experience.

No.

Why?

Because I know my tastes, I know their tastes, and I am intelligent enough to derive my likely feelings about a game based on how those two tastes intersect based on past experience.

But you said you haven't played a Legacy game you've enjoyed.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, by the way; it just seems like you're shorting yourself and I can't figure out why.

No.

Why? I mean, you're kind of saying they're the one true opinion on Legacy games even while disagreeing with what they've said in the same breath.

There's obviously something they value a lot more than you do so if they find something they don't like conceivably it may end up being the right configuration so that you may enjoy it a ton.

I'm kind of insulted that you would think that I think anything like a "one true opinion" actually exists.

Please stop trying to tell me how to interpet data to form my opinions on the likelihood of enjoying a boardgame purchase. It's incredibly condescending.

No.

Why?

But you said you haven't played a Legacy game you've enjoyed.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, by the way; it just seems like you're shorting yourself and I can't figure out why.

Yeah I'm done with this conversation. I appreciate your "concern" about my inability to make intelligent purchasing decisions.

No.

I'm kind of insulted that you would think that I think anything like a "one true opinion" actually exists.

Please stop trying to tell me how to interpet data to form my opinions on the likelihood of enjoying a boardgame purchase. It's incredibly condescending.

Good thing I'm not.

Clearly you're determined to take this personally so yeah, skip the game.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Denying the antecedent is just bad logic as well.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, wtf, Inq?

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    1) I don't enjoy metal music in general.
    2) However, there is some metal music I can tolerate (but not love), and it comes highly recommended by my metal-loving friend.
    3) My metal-loving friend doesn't think very much of Album X.
    4) I find it unlikely that I will enjoy Album X, because I both dislike its genre and it doesn't come highly recommended as a specimen with broad or strong appeal from those who are well-acquainted with said genre.

I don't see a problem with Inquisitor's reasoning.

edited September 2016
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Yeah, wtf, Inq?

What? I did a thing that all of us so in the thread all the time. I watched a review for a game. Based on the review, my tastes, and knowing the tastes of the tastes of the reviewer I have decided not currently not buy the game.

This is a thing that we do constantly. I don't appreciate Magic Pink essentially cross questioning my ability to decide for myself what I want to buy. I am also not interested in explaining every step of the process that lead me to my conclusion.

Personally, I found his tone and line of questioning to be very rude.

To be clear, why I find it rude is that Magic Pink is essentially stating that the sole reason why I am not going to buy Seafall Legacy is just because Quinn's didn't like it. I find that insulting, as it implies a lack of intelligence and ability to take information from reviews and other sources to form my own opinion about a game.

Inquisitor on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, wtf, Inq?

What? I did a thing that all of us so in the thread all the time.

I'm talking about stuff like this:
    Inq wrote:
    Yeah I'm done with this conversation. I appreciate your "concern" about my inability to make intelligent purchasing decisions.

Like, pretty uncalled-for, mate, and being unnecessarily hostile, in what's otherwise a very friendly thread.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    hoooo maaaaan that was some good Yomi

made it to top 10 in my own tournament with this latest win

still alive in the losers bracket after taking a loss in round 2!

*Googles Yomi, sees anime titties*

Hmmm...

Self-promotion alert: check out the link in my signature for tournament commentary videos.

...which, depending on your familiarity with the game, may or may not be entirely contextless and incomprehensible?

.../jazzhands?

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    hoooo maaaaan that was some good Yomi

made it to top 10 in my own tournament with this latest win

still alive in the losers bracket after taking a loss in round 2!

*Googles Yomi, sees anime titties*

Hmmm...

Self-promotion alert: check out the link in my signature for tournament commentary videos.

...which, depending on your familiarity with the game, may or may not be entirely contextless and incomprehensible?

.../jazzhands?

Ooh, there's an app? That's sick.

And speaking of apps, I just tried to solo Eldritch Horror and made it about five turns in and was just overwhelmed (needlessly, mind you, its not that bad). I'm intrigued by Mansion of Madness having a phone-app DM, so I'm going to a demo of it at a con this weekend.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Yeah, wtf, Inq?

What? I did a thing that all of us so in the thread all the time.

I'm talking about stuff like this:
    Inq wrote:

Like, pretty uncalled-for, mate, and being unnecessarily hostile, in what's otherwise a very friendly thread.

Subjectivity and all that, but I wasn't finding the conversation friendly at all. Which, to be fair, isn't a good reason to be unfriendly back, so I do apologize for that.

But let's stop bogging down the thread with this.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I played a game of Cthulhu Wars this past weekend. Was fun. This was my second time playing (both times as yellow sign). The first game i was stomped hard, but this time around i came in pretty close to winning. I have zero desire to play the other factions until i get a win as them though.

The roving undead party train is just too much fun. I ended up getting Zynga pretty early, and didn't leverage it well at all. Maybe next time.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Any time Tom Vasel thinks a game is a 'brain burner' and too hard, it's probably a good sign that I'd like it, along with SUSD thinking that a game has too much mechanics and not much theme, so it's not as if the concept is impossible. It's not inherently insulting to bring up the idea.

sig.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    SUSD didn't just completely dismiss Seafall, and they have done full reviews where they are not very impressed with games before. The review is based around all the excitement and hype that people (SUSD included) have built up in anticipation of the game, and the game is not delivering on those inflated expectations. They were disappointed in Seafall, and they don't feel it's a great game, but they also don't think it's bad, necessarily. It's just not the New Messiah they were hoping for, not even close.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I played a game of Cthulhu Wars this past weekend. Was fun. This was my second time playing (both times as yellow sign). The first game i was stomped hard, but this time around i came in pretty close to winning. I have zero desire to play the other factions until i get a win as them though.

The roving undead party train is just too much fun. I ended up getting Zynga pretty early, and didn't leverage it well at all. Maybe next time.

The problem with Zynga is that, to really leverage it, you have to fuck someone hard early on, usually red or blue, by crippling their cultist power base.

This is awful and unstoppable for them, and also throws off the power balance (especially if you do it to blue, who often keeps other factions on check by threatening captures and quick attacks) which you might regret as it might let Cthulhu get too strong and he's the one who can really ruin your party when he gets six books.

Imo it's hard to beat the "move cultist, summon King (take Screaming Dead), move back with King, desecrate" opening. You can try for a gate with your last 3 power instead of moving back, but blue will eat a bunch of your cultists to get his spellbook and prevent a turn 2 Hastur.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I don't want a new thread, can we just buy an expansion for this one?