As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of [Phalla] - Game Over. The Village Wins.

AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
edited September 2016 in Critical Failures
nI9ZVw2.png?1

Legend of Phalla
Special Thanks for MrBlarney for helping game balance!

Scenario
Hyrule is engulfed in Chaos! Ganon, the Prince of Darkness, has invaded the kingdom and secured the Triforce of Power, a magical artifact bestowing great strength. In an effort to save her kingdom, Princess Zelda has split the Triforce of Power’s counterpart, the Triforce of Wisdom, into eight fragments, hiding them in secret dungeons throughout the land to prevent them from falling into Ganon’s hands.

Game Overview

Genre: Battle Mechanics, Dungeon Crawling

This is a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. Please view the linked thread if you need more information.

This game is inspired by the video game Legend of Zelda (NES). No knowledge of the source game is required to play in this game. In fact, some things have intentionally been changed so prior knowledge won’t provide additional benefit.

Most players in the game will play the role of Link, a hero that is seeking out the pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom in order to be able to defeat Gannon. In this game, each player has the ability to take additional actions beyond public discussion and voting, to search dungeons or possibly attack other players.

Stats and Actions

Every player starts the game with three full heart containers (6 HP) and a wooden sword (Attack power of 1).

As the game progresses, items can be found to refill heart containers as well as increase player attack power.

If a player’s heart containers are empty, they will die.

Each night, a player can take one of two actions:
  • Explore Dungeon - Player chooses a dungeon to explore. If the player has any Dungeon Items, they choose an item to take with them into the dungeon as well.
  • Attack Other Player - Target one other player. They will take HP damage equal to the amount of your attack power.

Actions are submitted via Private Message.

Items

Items are found as players explore dungeons successfully.

Items can be broken into three categories, and will be labeled appropriately when they are found:
  • Dungeon Items - These items are used in dungeons only. When a player explores a dungeon, if they have any dungeon items, they will select one to take with them. Certain items provide secret rewards if used in the correct dungeon.
  • Player Action Items - These are items that directly affect actions taken by the player against other players, or actions that target the player from other players. Once found, they will be always be associated to the player (unless otherwise specified)
  • Access Items - Not all dungeons are able to be explored immediately. Certain dungeons require Access Items to be found before they are able to be explored

Dungeons
Dungeons are broken out into three categories:
  • Open Access - These dungeons are explorable from the beginning
  • Access Item Required - An item must be found from a previous dungeon that will open this dungeon
  • Full Triforce Required - The final dungeon requires the entire Triforce be assembled before it can be entered

The following dungeons are available to be explored:
  • Lake Hyrule - Open Access
  • Eastern Woods - Open Access
  • Western Forest - Open Access
  • Lost Hills - Open Access
  • The Graveyard - Open Access
  • Lake Hylia Island - Access Item Required
  • Dead End - Access Item Required
  • Western Hyrule - Access Item Required
  • Spectacle Rock - Full Triforce Required

Dungeon Map
9DZbKCc.png

Triforce Pieces
Each dungeon contains a unique piece of the Triforce of Wisdom.

When a player successfully completes a dungeon, they will receive that dungeon’s piece of the Triforce of Wisdom.

A player must collect all 8 unique pieces to gain access to the final dungeon to attempt to battle Ganon.

Triforce pieces can be traded/given to other players. A player must notify the host that they wish to give a piece or pieces away and what player they wish to give them to. No player may have more than 1 of each unique piece of the Triforce.

Final Dungeon

Spectacle Rock

Once a player has collected the 8 unique pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom, they will have access to the final dungeon, Spectacle Rock. A player may then choose at any point to enter the dungeon and challenge Ganon.

Multiple players are able to enter and challenge Ganon in one day, assuming each player has the 8 unique pieces of the Triforce.

Host Warning: Ganon is powerful and cannot be easily defeated. The game will not automatically end when the first person enters Ganon’s lair. It is strongly recommended that equipment is gathered and/or multiple people are present for kill attempts.

Voting

In addition to exploring dungeons or fighting other players, everyone has the ability to gang up on a single player that is suspected of being an agent of Ganon. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious in bold red with "!vote for <player name>" or similar phrase. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be eliminated from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then only the first person to hit the tied value will be eliminated. The vote resolves first in each day, before any player actions are resolved.

Voting will normally close each day at 7PM PT / 9PM CT / 10PM ET / 2AM UTC; any actions before the hour (x:59) will count, any actions on the hour and later (x:00) will not.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. There is no maximum nor minimum cap for signups for this game.

Inactivity

Players must only vote every day to avoid inactivity. A public warning will be posted on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the inactive player will be eliminated from the game.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

If any players create "proboards" for private communication or conversations including more than two players, please send links for them to the host.

AustinP0027 on

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

Q and A

Order of Operations is Vote>Trades>??>Attacks>Dungeons

Do dungeon explorations automatically succeed? Are there penalties for failing dungeons? Is voting out the mafia needed for victory or just defeating gannon? Alternatively, can victory be achieved just by defeating the mafia?

Dungeon explores always succeed.

Victory can be achieved either through getting rid of all Mafia members, or by defeating Gannon.

What happens to a player's items when they die?

The items are removed from the game. Items can only be gained via Dungeon exploration, they cannot be traded to others or gotten from killing other players

Do you want to be copied on PMs?

No, I'd only need to be added to any proboards that are created, and be copied if any Triforce trades are requested (me and two people wanting to trade)

Do trades happen as soon as they're agreed upon or do they happen at the end of the day?

End of the Day.

Players
    1. Grunt's Ghosts
    2. ObiFett
    3. Cythraul
    4. Brody
    5. Burnage
    6. Auralynx
    7. MamaWolf
    8. MrTLicious
    9. enlightenedbum
    10. corvidae
    11. ZombieHero
    12. Locus
    13. 38thDoe
    14. WACriminal
    15. JPants
    16. JayKaos
    17. Phyphor
    18. Matev
    19. Sir Fabulous
    20. Preda
    21. Cantide
    22. Discrider
    23. Green
    24. Premium
    25. Gizzy
    26. Dragon6860
    27. JusticeForPluto
    28. Raiden333
    29. Martoss
    30. Schuss

Reserves:
    1. Chamberlain
    2. Assuran
    3. Kime

Narrations
    Day 1 - Ganon Attacks!
    Day 2 - An Infiltrator Falls!
    Day 3 - Continued Hope
    Day 4 - Time's Running Out
    Day 5 - Pieces Coming Together
    Day 6 - Are We There Yet?
    Day 7 - The Final Countdown

AustinP0027 on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Press Start

ieemntye06oj.png

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    /Insert Game Genie
    /Insert Legend of Zelda
    /AVVLAUSZ
    /Start

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Yes!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Blue

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I put on my red tunic and elfin hat

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    t27cghT.png

Do dungeon explorations automatically succeed? Are there penalties for failing dungeons? Is voting out the mafia needed for victory or just defeating gannon? Alternatively, can victory be achieved just by defeating the mafia?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I dive-stab it. Then I bounce on its head until it dies.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I !sign up I shall smash all the pots and cut all the grass till I defeat Gannon!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20091012224240

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    signup

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    why not?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ugh, I love Zelda, but I'm on vacation now. When will this start?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    38thDoe wrote: »
    t27cghT.png

Dungeon explores always succeed.

Victory can be achieved either through getting rid of all Mafia members, or by defeating Gannon.
    kime wrote: »
    Ugh, I love Zelda, but I'm on vacation now. When will this start?

Depends on how quickly people sign up, but given it's already Tuesday, I would assume that we're likely to get going by Friday at the soonest

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm a little bit skeptical of the game design - it sounds like the time limit here is on the mafia, rather than the townies. On the other hand, how often do phallas reach 9+ days to where the "kill Gannon" win condition would be likely come into play? (yeah, I saw the trading thing, but ehhh)

I'm curious if you playtested the obvious strategy of "nobody votes for anybody ever" and see whether mafia can kill all the townies before Gannon is defeated. If the mafia can win under that condition, is it still possible for the town to win if they ARE voting, but have a non-perfect hit rate?

Fry on
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    See: Trading

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    It's a secret to everybody

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Depends on how quickly people sign up, but given it's already Tuesday, I would assume that we're likely to get going by Friday at the soonest

How many people are you looking for?
    Also you missed me

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Clarification request:

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yes please

How many people are you looking for?
    Also you missed me

You didn't actually say you were signing up yet, so I didn't want to be presumptive.

I'm hoping for 30+, but I think the design can be adjusted if somehow we land under that.
    Fry wrote: »
    I'm a little bit skeptical of the game design - it sounds like the time limit here is on the mafia, rather than the townies. On the other hand, how often do phallas reach 9+ days to where the "kill Gannon" win condition would be likely come into play? (yeah, I saw the trading thing, but ehhh)

I'm curious if you playtested the obvious strategy of "nobody votes for anybody ever" and see whether mafia can kill all the townies before Gannon is defeated. If the mafia can win under that condition, is it still possible for the town to win if they ARE voting, but have a non-perfect hit rate?

If no actions were taken other than the mafia kills and the dungeon explorations, then no, it wouldn't be possible for the mafia to win (assuming 30-40 people) before Gannon was killed. The design was made with assumptions that the village will be voting (since it's mandatory to avoid inactivus), as well as other actions will be taken outside of just exploring dungeons.

Locus wrote: »
    Clarification request:

The items are removed from the game. Items can only be gained via Dungeon exploration, they cannot be traded to others or gotten from killing other players

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    This is super premature, but the "Defeat Gannon" win condition sounds like a trap for the village.

Right? Because then next phalla they are all Return of Gannon game over. Why is that automatically game over? Didn't we beat him in like 90 other realities or whatever?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Haven't done one of these in a bit.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I skip all the heart pieces to beat the game with 3 hearts

Not six skyward sword, three

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Will it keep me safe? (Linked for big)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Going to be gone for the start this weekend so can I Reserve up?

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Burnage wrote: »
    This is super premature, but the "Defeat Gannon" win condition sounds like a trap for the village.

This is what I was thinking. Given the facts that 1) we need all 8 of the Triforce pieces for each person who wants to enter Spectacle Rock, and 2) we can't even get to four of those eight unless we have specific Access Objects, then even if we're pretty damn coordinated in getting and trading them to the correct people, we're highly unlikely to get more than one or two people who can even enter Spectacle Rock, much less defeat Ganon.

And that's before accounting for the fact that the mafia will almost certainly prioritize killing anyone who accumulates more than a couple pieces of Triforce.

EDIT: That said, I have faith in our host! This is just early speculation as to optimal planning.

WACriminal on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Oh man I love Legend of Korra!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

This is what I was thinking. Given the facts that 1) we need all 8 of the Triforce pieces for each person who wants to enter Spectacle Rock, and 2) we can't even get to four of those eight unless we have specific Access Objects, then even if we're pretty damn coordinated in getting and trading them to the correct people, we're highly unlikely to get more than one or two people who can even enter Spectacle Rock, much less defeat Ganon.

And that's before accounting for the fact that the mafia will almost certainly prioritize killing anyone who accumulates more than a couple pieces of Triforce.

It looks like five of the dungeons have no prereqs, so I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for a mini network of ~4 townies to send someone to Spectacle Rock by day five. That can be slowed down if the group is infiltrated by a mafia or one of the members gets shot by the mafia, but on the other hand there could be seven or more groups independently doing the same thing.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    SURE!

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Right? Because then next phalla they are all Return of Gannon game over. Why is that automatically game over? Didn't we beat him in like 90 other realities or whatever?

[Pedantic]It was game over in the sequel because Ganon's followers needed the blood of the hero who killed Ganon in order to revive him. So it's not just "Ganon's back, game over", it's "Link's dead, Ganon's back, game over".[/Pedantic]

I can't resist a Zelda game.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Reserve

Not gonna lie, I'm really busy with Legion launch, so it's best I'm a reserve right now. If you need me, put me to full but my attention won't fully be there.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    In a surprise twist, this game is now Wooden sheilds vs Like-Likes

discrider on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Oooh yes, sign up

• premiumpremium Registered User regular

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine