As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Legion: I have sacrificed everything...

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Demon Hunter any fun at 110?
    Outside of the glory-that-is-double-jump, they seemed pretty bare at 100...

I'm really liking it as Vengeance. Keep in mind you're missing like 5 talents worth of abilities/passives if you're only at 100. You get a lot of fun/neat tools.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    And so additionally:
    Sylvanas is a thorn of the Horde's relations with the Alliance because of the New Plague she tried to create as well. This was before the Vy'Krul. This attempt was succeeding under the radar of the other Horde leaders but came to a head when Putress, the leader of the group creating the toxin, defected to Arthas' side betraying Sylvanas at Wrathgate and trying to take over the Undercity in a coup attempt. This failed but in the end it is a direct result of Greymane being all "I told you they retreated" when the Horde was protecting the flank over the hill and getting thier butts kicked as well. And it is why Voljin always had issue with her and brought it up to her during the Horde broken isles intro quests.

After the New Plague events Thrall basically told Sylvanas to stop the shit and banned what she was doing. But it is the nature of individuals I guess to want their people to live on so she began the line with the "angels" in Cata.

Slight correction
    Putress wasn't on Arthas' side. He was working for the Dreadlord that used to hang out with Slyvanas. The Legion wanted everyone (re)dead.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Just finished Stormheim last night and was pleasantly surprised by a cutscene. I have questions...
    -Was this Sylvanas hidden objective while at Stormheim? I know I was there to get a Pillar(?) but the whole capture a Angel goddess thing flew over my head. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention enough to story text.
    -Why did she need the goddess angel being?
    -What did Sylvanas do to Greymanes son?

Most of the others handled it fine.
    She is trying to not have her people go extinct. They cannot reproduce and each war must have the numbers drop. Sylvanas has tried on multiple occasions to find a way for her people to reproduce.
    I still find it the dumbest idea. I mean heavens forbid the faction that was all based about revenge against the Lich King for raising them as undead be AGAINST raising more people.... NOPE! In for a penny of evil, in for a pound of kicking puppies and eating babies.

I'd think that any sane Forsaken would be happy if they went extinct, and I look forward to Helya coming to collect her due and everything blowing up in Sylvannas' face. She *is* owed something due to that bargain.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I know I feel compelled to be the Negative Nancy, but, seriously, this app should have been developed two years ago.

I remember they were specifically asked about doing exactly this with Garrison missions and they gave some bullshit answer about it would ruin the experience or something along those lines.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I'm guessing they developed an API along side Class Halls this time that they just didn't think about when developing garrisons.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Just finished Stormheim last night and was pleasantly surprised by a cutscene. I have questions...
    -Was this Sylvanas hidden objective while at Stormheim? I know I was there to get a Pillar(?) but the whole capture a Angel goddess thing flew over my head. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention enough to story text.

She is trying to not have her people go extinct. They cannot reproduce and each war must have the numbers drop. Sylvanas has tried on multiple occasions to find a way for her people to reproduce.
    I still find it the dumbest idea. I mean heavens forbid the faction that was all based about revenge against the Lich King for raising them as undead be AGAINST raising more people.... NOPE! In for a penny of evil, in for a pound of kicking puppies and eating babies.

I'd think that any sane Forsaken would be happy if they went extinct, and I look forward to Helya coming to collect her due and everything blowing up in Sylvannas' face. She *is* owed something due to that bargain.
    The conspiracy theorist inside me wonders if Sylvanas wasn't trying to get a hold of "pure" Val'kyr as a way to reverse the undeath curse. I'd guess the ones that Eyrie creates don't create zombies (at least, we never see any in Stormheim).

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    And so additionally:
    Sylvanas is a thorn of the Horde's relations with the Alliance because of the New Plague she tried to create as well. This was before the Vy'Krul. This attempt was succeeding under the radar of the other Horde leaders but came to a head when Putress, the leader of the group creating the toxin, defected to Arthas' side betraying Sylvanas at Wrathgate and trying to take over the Undercity in a coup attempt. This failed but in the end it is a direct result of Greymane being all "I told you they retreated" when the Horde was protecting the flank over the hill and getting thier butts kicked as well. And it is why Voljin always had issue with her and brought it up to her during the Horde broken isles intro quests.

After the New Plague events Thrall basically told Sylvanas to stop the shit and banned what she was doing. But it is the nature of individuals I guess to want their people to live on so she began the line with the "angels" in Cata.

Slight correction
    Putress wasn't on Arthas' side. He was working for the Dreadlord that used to hang out with Slyvanas. The Legion wanted everyone (re)dead.

My bad. Yes that is correct.
    PMAvers wrote: »

I could see that but they are also not mindless scourge anymore and thus sentient. So it is hard to fault them for wanting to live on. That is one of the sad parts of the forsaken quests. The quests involving finding keepsakes and the like. And the infamous locket quest that I heard someone complete the other day in Ogrim that made me want to make an alt and do it again with.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I know I feel compelled to be the Negative Nancy, but, seriously, this app should have been developed two years ago.

I remember they were specifically asked about doing exactly this with Garrison missions and they gave some bullshit answer about it would ruin the experience or something along those lines.

Well they are no longer working with all those angsty people who were left on the "old" wow project in favor of TITAN. With all the Titan crew returning to WoW, they actually like, give a shit again.

Everyone knows full well that was just an excuse given because they absolutely had to give something, and the real answer was just because they didn't want anyone doing it on an app.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I think Sylvanas's next attempt should be to reproduce what created the Forsaken in the first place. there are tons of Scourge sleeping/in stasis up in Northrend, now that Arthis is Dead, and new lich king is sleeping, they would be susceptible to being broken of the mindlessness just like the forsaken were.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I am happy that I can log in from work, like I just did, and finish a mission and start another. Too bad they didnt refurb the crafting side as well and throw it in. That was one of my favorite things about Neverwinter.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Well they are no longer working with all those angsty people who were left on the "old" wow project in favor of TITAN. With all the Titan crew returning to WoW, they actually like, give a shit again.

Everyone knows full well that was just an excuse given because they absolutely had to give something, and the real answer was just because they didn't want anyone doing it on an app.

Yeah, I was always pretty sure the real reason was "we added this free-to-play-like Facebook time waster stuff as an excuse to get you to log in every day, putting it on an app would invalidate that goal"

I was honestly more surprised they actually changed their minds.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    its faster to do everything in the legion app than it is to do it in game even when you're already standing in the class hall

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I haven't done any forsaken questing. Is living an eternal parody of life fulfilling enough that you'd want to thrust that torture on your friends and family? Or is living jawless liberating in a way that's just extremely difficult to describe?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    its faster to do everything in the legion app than it is to do it in game even when you're already standing in the class hall

This isn't super surprising to me. WoW foists a lot of its UI usability onto fan-supported mods, and has a very minimal approach to its default interface.
    Honestly it would be insulting if they weren't able to make a better UI than the decade-old system that they currently use in game.

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »

This isn't super surprising to me. WoW foists a lot of its UI usability onto fan-supported mods, and has a very minimal approach to its default interface.
    Honestly it would be insulting if they weren't able to make a better UI than the decade-old system that they currently use in game.

I'm annoyed that the game still uses the same 12 year old UI it did in 2004. I don't know why they haven't at least revisited this to look nicer/cleaner/be more useful. I like my UI addon but it breaks every expansion until the guy fixes it. And every expansion more and more mods stop receiving updates as the creators move on from the game...

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to not having to spend all day in a garrison/class hall.

Less excited about the sudden burning desire to level every alt to 101 instead of focusing on my main >.>

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to not having to spend all day in a garrison/class hall.

Less excited about the sudden burning desire to level every alt to 101 instead of focusing on my main >.>

You have to agree that Class Halls are a ton more social then garrisons ever were. Honestly, for me class halls are great because I am surrounded by only my class for the first time in the game history.

Need advice for your class? Just ask.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Oh yeah, they are great step, and the flavor is so good. I imagine I will love having a place to chill when I'm at that point.

Just trying to stay out in the world a lot right now and the convenience of the phone is too alluring.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So the app is great in its interface and world quest tracking (it even tracks profession quests! The base game can't do that for some reason). Only problem is that the mission interface is bugged to hell and back. It seems to give me a default mission interface with no complete button.
    azith28 wrote: »
    I think Sylvanas's next attempt should be to reproduce what created the Forsaken in the first place. there are tons of Scourge sleeping/in stasis up in Northrend, now that Arthis is Dead, and new lich king is sleeping, they would be susceptible to being broken of the mindlessness just like the forsaken were.
    The Lich King isn't sleeping. He is very much active this time around.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Operation: Murloc Freedom, the one world quest where all the dozen or so people in there instantly come to an immediate truce with each other because we all want to kill those fucking Naga.

Except the people who turn into Murlocs who immediately try fucking everything up.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I still like going to my garrison, mainly to get away from everyone else. But then again I can be pretty reclusive. It has been annoying to get mission completion notices from my garrison on my main, though. I'm still doing missions for garrison resources which I then trade for fur which I then send to my tailor alt so he can (slowly) make hexweave bags.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I still like going to my garrison, mainly to get away from everyone else. But then again I can be pretty reclusive. It has been annoying to get mission completion notices from my garrison on my main, though. I'm still doing missions for garrison resources which I then trade for fur which I then send to my tailor alt so he can (slowly) make hexweave bags.

If you have an auctioneer robot it's still a super convenient place to sell stuff and hit your bank as well. I'm eyeing my mission table for Marks of the Legion too because screw grinding out rep with laughing skulls/etc...

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

If you have an auctioneer robot it's still a super convenient place to sell stuff and hit your bank as well. I'm eyeing my mission table for Marks of the Legion too because screw grinding out rep with laughing skulls/etc...

This is why I go back, because God forbid they put an auction house in Dalaran. *sigh*

Also, I am sick of seeing my Draenor garrison mission completed toasts pop up everytime I screen load somewhere too. YES, I KNOW. SHUT UP ALREADY. I would stop doing them but there is an achievement for the shipyard missions...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Fuck you, Nomi. I hate your stupid face every day. I am 770 cooking which, in terms of the game fantasy puts me somewhere between Mossimo and Jesus effing Christ's personal chef but I have to surrender my hard earned meat and fish to this HACK so he can turn it into dirt. 240 ribs later and NOTHING? Just dirt! DIRT! I give you the literal best cooking materials in the world and you make DIRT that I sell to a troll for copper!

I hate you, Nomi. You're stupid. You're a stupid bear who is a bad cook and is also a thief and probably some other bad things I don't even know about.

DIRT. FROM GOLD, NOMI. DIRT.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    This is why I go back, because God forbid they put an auction house in Dalaran. *sigh*

I quite like that there isn't one. I don't like it when expansions cram every last inch of content into one continent and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist for max level players.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Ok yeah the companion app is amazing.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    Fuck you, Nomi. I hate your stupid face every day. I am 770 cooking which, in terms of the game fantasy puts me somewhere between Mossimo and Jesus effing Christ's personal chef but I have to surrender my hard earned meat and fish to this HACK so he can turn it into dirt. 240 ribs later and NOTHING? Just dirt! DIRT! I give you the literal best cooking materials in the world and you make DIRT that I sell to a troll for copper!

I hate you, Nomi. You're stupid. You're a stupid bear who is a bad cook and is also a thief and probably some other bad things I don't even know about.

oh shoot not looking forward to this on my cook

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »

Yeah he must have had an awful teacher.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    There's no reason why I should be getting 40fps in this game at the optimized settings through GeForce Experience with a 4790k, 1070 GTX and 32gb of ram. Some of these areas seem insanely poorly optimized.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Man, Paladin class campaign was awesome. Even if it was gated with 8 hour missions and then 12 hour missions. And you have to do 30 WQs. That app would have been really awesome earlier today when I finished them.
    So, Light Dreadlord guy is better delivered than it seems for such a dumb idea. You buy into this unstoppable Army of the Light, that now has a Night Elf. Also, the whole thing of Turalyon going through the stars kicking the Legion's ass is cool, specially since you get to see his son getting all amazed because he still lives.

Besides that, 825 so ready for Mythics and very up on the Alchemy quest chain, want to get flasks up before raids open. Alchemy is not that bad, you aren't farming mobs for bear butts or anything, but it does requieres traveling very, very far. Couple of examples:
    You get asked to talk with a guy hidden up in a mountain in Highmountain. Thank god the place has a flying path.

Just did the quest when you have to talk with people in Thunder Bluff, Undercity and Booty Bay. Now is up to farm like 80 of each herb for some flask recipes (kind of on the way there already), then the rank 2 ones come from quests on heroic dungeons (in which I could still use some pieces), then done until Emerald Nightmare.

I did liked the quest when you open a door in Vault of the Wardens and you can only see the lock with the special sight potion to kill an extra boss, though I asked guildies to help me with that.

Probably need to get into Suramar, only did the bare minimum and there's the meta and the dungeons and stuff.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    There's no reason why I should be getting 40fps in this game at the optimized settings through GeForce Experience with a 4790k, 1070 GTX and 32gb of ram. Some of these areas seem insanely poorly optimized.

It is a 12 year old game engine. What are you expecting? Turn down shadows and SSAO by one or two notches. They make almost no discernable difference to visuals and nearly double my FPS on a 980Ti.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I pretty much leapt over the Dreanor content. I have a mage over there. I started a demon hunter and dove into Legion. I'll probably go back after getting through all the zones.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

It is a 12 year old game engine. What are you expecting? Turn down shadows and SSAO by one or two notches. They make almost no discernable difference to visuals and nearly double my FPS on a 980Ti.

I don't quite understand the correlation between age and FPS here. I mean, the older a game is generally the more frames you get with newer hardware. It's not like if I load Quake I get 10fps or something. I expect bare minimum, I guess is the answer. It's just odd to have 40fps on practically higher end hardware when I can load any modern game and get mostly 60fps+ at 1440.

• Options
    I don't quite understand the correlation between age and FPS here.

That's evident.

A 12 year old game engine was not written with many features in mind that the devs have since added to the game. Modern graphical processing like SSAO and dynamic shadows are something that didn't exist when WoW was first made.

The devs are working black magic to keep the engine running as well as it is, but it was not designed for the tasks they are asking of it and it shows.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I don't quite understand the correlation between age and FPS here.

That's evident.

A 12 year old game engine was not written with many features in mind that the devs have since added to the game. Modern graphical processing like SSAO and dynamic shadows are something that didn't exist when WoW was first made.

The devs are working black magic to keep the engine running as well as it is, but it was not designed for the tasks they are asking of it and it shows.

I guess you can go ahead and throw away the rest of my comment that is seemingly irrelevant, sure-why not. I mean, my complaint is rational here, there's no reason to seemingly justify shitty performance when we're paying full price for expansions plus a monthly fee. Seems real silly to defend that shitty performance.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I've thrown it away because your viewpoint is coming from a faulty origin. You are comparing WoW's performance to modern games and asking why they don't run as well, and I've explained why.

But I'll address the other things you said anyway.
    I mean, the older a game is generally the more frames you get with newer hardware. It's not like if I load Quake I get 10fps or something.

This is a very, very flawed comparison.

If you loaded up vanilla WoW you'd get a bazillion frames a second too. But WoW is not vanilla WoW anymore. It has been updated constantly, with shinier, and shinier textures, better graphical effects, and constant upgrades to the size of zones and the amount of detail in those zones. But the core game engine is still the same and still relies on an architecture that was designed fifteen years ago.

Adding features like SSAO or shadows to a game engine that wasn't designed for them is never going to deliver the same results as a modern engine that was optimized around the existence of those features.
    It's just odd to have 40fps on practically higher end hardware when I can load any modern game and get mostly 60fps+ at 1440

I'm running at a near-rock solid 100fps @ 1440p on near max settings on the game. The only settings I've turned down, like I suggested you do, is Shadows and SSAO. Everything else is on max, and I never drop below 60 fps even in the most demanding areas.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I can defend it pretty damn well, because this game is running modern features on near 15 year old tech. The "bare minimum" effort they could be putting in would be just not having those features at all, and then you'd have your great 100+FPS all the time, without the great new shadows or SSAO or any other of the new graphics features they've put in over the years. Go boot up vanilla WoW and see the fantastic framerates you get.

I can't expect them to completely overhaul the technology in a game over a decade old, because that would be hilariously expensive.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular

TryCatcher wrote: »
    Man, Paladin class campaign was awesome. Even if it was gated with 8 hour missions and then 12 hour missions. And you have to do 30 WQs. That app would have been really awesome earlier today when I finished them.
    So, Light Dreadlord guy is better delivered than it seems for such a dumb idea. You buy into this unstoppable Army of the Light, that now has a Night Elf. Also, the whole thing of Turalyon going through the stars kicking the Legion's ass is cool, specially since you get to see his son getting all amazed because he still lives.

Besides that, 825 so ready for Mythics and very up on the Alchemy quest chain, want to get flasks up before raids open. Alchemy is not that bad, you aren't farming mobs for bear butts or anything, but it does requieres traveling very, very far. Couple of examples:
    You get asked to talk with a guy hidden up in a mountain in Highmountain. Thank god the place has a flying path.

Just did the quest when you have to talk with people in Thunder Bluff, Undercity and Booty Bay. Now is up to farm like 80 of each herb for some flask recipes (kind of on the way there already), then the rank 2 ones come from quests on heroic dungeons (in which I could still use some pieces), then done until Emerald Nightmare.

I did liked the quest when you open a door in Vault of the Wardens and you can only see the lock with the special sight potion to kill an extra boss, though I asked guildies to help me with that.

Probably need to get into Suramar, only did the bare minimum and there's the meta and the dungeons and stuff.

My only problem was that if you do the thing that comes naturally to every true paladin and try to tank all the demons that pour out of the last wave of portals, you die in an unskippable cutscene and it breaks the scenario.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So the app is great in its interface and world quest tracking (it even tracks profession quests! The base game can't do that for some reason). Only problem is that the mission interface is bugged to hell and back. It seems to give me a default mission interface with no complete button.
    azith28 wrote: »
    The Lich King isn't sleeping. He is very much active this time around.

He's also kind of a dick, if you've done anything like the Felo'Melorn quest.

But I suppose that kind of happens when you're a plagued, charred, tortured corpse wearing armor containing the spirit of Ner'Zhul.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Hit 110 on my Mage without even touching Highmountain. Did a few of the quests to open up Suramar and got my third artifact weapon.

This discussion has been closed.