As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, September 6, 2016 - Geneva Hodgson Guest Comic

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2016 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, September 6, 2016 - Geneva Hodgson Guest Comic

Geneva Hodgson Guest Comic

Geneva Hodgson Guest Comic

http://campcomic.com/comic/350

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    aww

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    <3
    I love the coloring on this comic. It's very pretty, especially Seventeen's eyes.

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    awwww the last panel is the sweetest

• Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    So full of wisdom, yet so adorable!

• Options
    TimAusTimAus Registered User regular
    Best guest comic ever. Well done!

• Options
    ajax1515ajax1515 Registered User regular
    Wow, that's some seriously deep social commentary.

• Options
    Gilles.of.AugustineGilles.of.Augustine Registered User new member
    edited September 2016
    ajax1515 wrote: »
    Wow, that's some seriously deep social commentary.

Deep, and in many cases inaccurate. While it's true that doctors over-medicating children is an issue, the backlash against overmedication has also resulted in some parents refusing to medicate when their child truly needs it to function. I used to work in elementary education, and I saw it all the time: kids who were a just a little too energetic would get put on drugs for no reason, but other kids with severe ADHD would go unmedicated by their skeptic parents, and they literally could not function.

I grew up on a cocktail of Zoloft, Risperdal, and Ritalin. And contrary to what many would tell you, those drugs didn't "stifle my creativity" or "zombify me" so that I could "study like a good little worker drone." They allowed me to function. They allowed me to feel like the 'real' me. They freed me to fully enjoy the things I was already interested in, but couldn't excel before the medication because I would get too frustrated and have an emotional meltdown. And I wasn't even suffering from any serious psychosis or anything - I have Tourette's, ADHD, and mild OCD. That's it. But all together, those disorders were enough to seriously impede my enjoyment of *most* things in life. Not just school.

Medication isn't the right choice for everybody, but it is the right choice for *some* people. It's a very, very personal decision. So really, it all comes down to what this girl has, and what she's taking for it. If she's just a hyperactive kid who was given Adderall by an overzealous physician, then yeah, this is the beginning of a glorious new era for her. But if she was suffering from things that seriously impacted her socialization skills, impulse control, or emotional regulation, then life is about to get a *lot* harder for her.

Gilles.of.Augustine on
    "Changing the world is good for those who want their names in books. But being happy, that is for those who write their names in the lives of others, and hold the hearts of others as the treasure most dear."

- Orson Scott Card
  • Options
    evileeyoreevileeyore Grognard 100 hurricane swampRegistered User regular
    Best Guest Artist to date! Really nailed the character designs and the colors really work to capture the feel, but the ensure we know it is a guest piece!

• Options
    te-kunte-kun Registered User regular
    Adorable art style. Is the girl an avatar of the artist?

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    The teleology of ennui. Love it.

Where's the cat?

• Options
    FroytonFroyton Registered User regular
    @Gilles.of.Augustine That was a really insightful comment. Thanks for sharing. Very few topics in life are black and white; 99% of the time, the reality lies somewhere in the middle.

• Options
    David EdmondsonDavid Edmondson Registered User new member
    Yeah… I went untreated for ADD (non-hyperactive ADHD, technically) all throughout school and it definitely scarred me because people would succeed and I had no idea how or why. Even on medication, I have this nagging suspicion that I will fail everyone at some point because I forgot, or I didn’t hear, or I didn’t know I had zoned out. (Seriously, I can “lose time” where something happens and it’s like it has been entirely edited out of my perception of reality.)

ADD has allowed me to see the world on a macroscopic, systematic scale, which I would not trade away, because my subconscious has to constantly stitch together experiences and even conversations that have gaps in them that I don’t even know are there.

Quality treatment means learning how to manage the negative symptoms while also being on something that helps dial them down so they are actually manageable. I’m still *me,* and the person I am because of ADD is why I’m in urban planning, but now I can actually finish what I start, engage with friends, read without getting distracted or, conversely, hyperfocused.

That said, given the parental style Camp Weedonwantcha’s wards have had to endure, odds are this would be some kind of tranquilizer like Clozipine rather than a stimulant like Adderall or Ritalin.

• Options
    AgentParsecAgentParsec Registered User regular
    Just wanted to note, I like how the second-to-last panel still has her sniffling a bit. She doesn't just magically stop crying when the realization hits. It's just a small detail, but it's a little touch I appreciate.

~~~ The Timeline is Safe. ~~~
  • Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Childhood just happened.

• Options
    Jr. Mithrandir Jr. Mithrandir Registered User regular
    I don't think the idea here is that she's "better off" without her meds, but that she'll be alright in spite of it without any pressure on her. This is a really sweet comic!

• Options
    itsdvwitsdvw Registered User new member
    I'm far less worried about her running out of medication than I am about what's going to happen in the coming months and years as her braces never get adjusted or removed...

• Options
    ThesammichmasterThesammichmaster Registered User regular
    I have to say, this is REALLY a good guest comic, maybe the best one in months! (btw, where's the cat, and, just, Malachi's expression in panel 7 and 8 are awesome.)

• Options
    te-kunte-kun Registered User regular
    @ITSDVW braces are easier to get them off than people think. The plastic things holding the wire can be easily removed and the metal things glued to the teeth fall by themselves when you chew hard things. The only thing that needs some work to be removed is that metal band in the molar but that alone can't do much.

• Options
    TerradorTerrador Registered User regular
    Sounds like she is talking about these pills: http://campcomic.com/comic/111
    But the bottle looks different.

• Options
    Hawk1966Hawk1966 Leiche Central FloridaRegistered User regular
    Much better than the last guest comic. This is an artist/author I'd look into deeper. Very refreshing story. I like that medication isn't necessary at this camp, perhaps even a blessing seeing how these kids live. Not being focused, being fancy free. It's probably better for her this way.

• Options
    iczer6iczer6 Registered User regular
    While I like this comic and I think it's sweet I really, really dislike the belief the medication is 'unnecessary'. Because as someone with serious medical issues no, no it's not. And I think this belief hurts a lot of people, either discouraging them from getting help or encouraging them to go their medication when they really shouldn't

• Options
    zxczxczbfgmanzxczxczbfgman Registered User new member
    @Iczer6

In fairness, the medication depicted is probably vyvanse or something similar. As someone who actually takes vyvanse, I can vouch that it can be foregone with no ill effects (beyond the lack of attention that it was originally medicating, anyway).

• Options
    Geneva HodgsonGeneva Hodgson Registered User new member
    edited September 2016
    Hi there! Author/artist of the guest comic above here. Thank you all for your kind words- I really appreciate those who found it touching and particularly appreciate the attention to detail. I feel very warmed by the reception. It makes me really happy that Katie has such kind readers!

I just wanted to clarify the intentions of the comic for those who are curious: Katie asked for this piece to include myself as a camper. The character is totally just a kid version of me (though inaccurate!)

I have had lifelong ADHD that was only diagnosed as an adult. I take medication [adderall] and have a complicated relationship with it; I'm very grateful for it (I would have a much, much harder time functioning as a working adult without it), but it's easy to beat myself up over my weird brain sometimes. I wanted to talk about how the weird demands of life can give us an odd relationship with ourselves and our quirky brains. And a little bit about forgiving ourselves for that. (I was also indulging in a little bit of fantasy-- if I didn't have to work and pay bills etc, I probably wouldn't take meds.)

As JR. Mithrandir's comment stated, "I don't think the idea here is that she's "better off" without her meds, but that she'll be alright in spite of it without any pressure on her." Spot on!

Thanks all for reading and replying!

Geneva Hodgson on
  • Options
    arianeariane Registered User regular
    @ Geneva -

Thanks for popping in and sharing!

• Options
    JachraJachra Registered User regular
    Functioning in society is a maladaptive trait in your present circumstances, so don't sweat it!

"We do not allow wizards to cast spells in our game, for that is the most unbalanced rule of all."
  • Options
    GhostygooGhostygoo Registered User new member
    There are actually some theories that ADHD is so common because it's basically some sort of hunting/survival instinct. A lot of this theory hinges on the fact that ADHD like behaviors are actually pretty common in a lot of predator species.

• Options
    Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    Awww. She realizes "Wait.....I don't need to get stuff done. I'm at camp!" And I love the art in this strip, so pretty and cute!

• Options
    Jack Is DeadJack Is Dead Registered User regular
    what happens to the kids when it gets cold?

Winter is coming.