As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where to eat at West

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ok what I just remembered I need is a recommendation for a kick arse BBQ place (BBQ is not the same as a churrascaria). I've been to Jack's and really liked their BBQ chili. Any other good suggestions?

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hole in the Wall is good, but it would be about a 10-12 block walk.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    It's updated at http://bit.ly/2aZGyxl I purposefully left the year off as it was meant to be a living updated document. For those unaware of how the document works take a look at the first post in this thread http://bit.ly/2bmmn0u The "show me" column is really nice for mobile users. Glad Curse kept the format.
    One note/update for your list: Cyber Dogs has closed, sadly. PAX people trashed it on Yelp but it was one of my favorite places: veggie dogs in a weird, cramped space connected to the convention center, complete with vintage computers connected to the "internet." Open till midnight. It was awesome, and I was so sad to find its empty storefront when I went to look for it last year. Zombie web site lives on at www.cyber-dogs.com.

Damn, I kept walking by every year and making a mental note of it but didn't go in. :(

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • mral777mral777 Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    Top Pot Doughnuts, down 5th from The Westin, has been a must for me and my cousin. We found it in 2014 and haven't been disappointed yet. Nice selection of doughnuts as well as a decent cup of joe.

mral777 wrote: »
    Top Pot Doughnuts, down 5th from The Westin, has been a must for me and my cousin. We found it in 2014 and haven't been disappointed yet. Nice selection of doughnuts as well as a decent cup of joe.

Pretty good wifi on the upper level too!

• kr0490kr0490 Registered User regular
    Sorry if this was already answered, but what are peoples recommendations for lighter fare such as sandwiches, a quick hot dog, etc with short lines and reasonable price within a short distance from convention center. I'm staying in the springhill Marriott so anything on that end too.

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Umma's lunch box, its a cheap korean bbq place in the underground mall. Only open during the weekday at lunch hour's, they have reduced prices 230-330 to clear out product, so you could buy literally almost 2 pounds of food for 8 bucks. Tastes great and it wasnt crowded.

May PAX be upon you.
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    kr0490 wrote: »
    Sorry if this was already answered, but what are peoples recommendations for lighter fare such as sandwiches, a quick hot dog, etc with short lines and reasonable price within a short distance from convention center. I'm staying in the springhill Marriott so anything on that end too.

Westlake Center food court. 5 minute walk, many decent options.

• oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    kr0490 wrote: »

Westlake Center food court. 5 minute walk, many decent options.

Thanks. I'm also looking for options that aren't swamped. I get the impression if you walk a little, you can avoid some crowds, which is my preference. And gives us a some breathing room from the throngs.

• kalanikalani Straight Edge O.G Edmonds WARegistered User regular
    What. Cyber Dogs closed too. Man that sucks .How is Cyber Dogs and goldberg's deli closed. But over priced subway and taco del nasty still open

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Headhunter wrote: »
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    Outside, I like the Daily Grill in the Sheraton hotel for both the breakfast buffet and night time entrees.

These guys have a really great buffet breakfast but its gosh awful expensive around $30 we would only eat there once a weekend after we saved up all our $5 room service tickets at the Sheraton.

If you want an epic Breakfast Buffet for $50, go to Salty's on Alki. It's famous even around Seattle and has been there forever. They literally have three rooms of food. Recommended especially if you're from a land-locked location and want to get some great seafood with a stellar view. Make sure to make reservations, it's always full on the weekends.

Wow that looks fantastic, any specific item recommendations?

Me personally, I like oysters. And it's basically all-you-can-eat raw oysters, steamed crab and peel-and-eat shrimp. They go so fast that nothing sits on the buffet too long. If that's not your thing, the carving station usually has a minimum of three different roasts.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Kaollasu78Kaollasu78 Portland, OrRegistered User regular
    NYC Deli attached to the Grand Hyatt is delicious! The staff is super friendly and always open extremely late, they'll often stay open past closing because of the convention traffic.

919eoupaoo36.png
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Kaollasu78 wrote: »
    NYC Deli attached to the Grand Hyatt is delicious! The staff is super friendly and always open extremely late, they'll often stay open past closing because of the convention traffic.

Thanks for this! Hubby and I are staying at the Grand Hyatt. Normally we just eat at Lil' Woody's, but if we don't feel like walking, grabbing a sandwich in the hotel is perfect.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I love to have some Dick's whenever I'm in Seattle. I'm also happy that I reached my 13th birthday so I can post this in these forums.

jCyyTSo.png
  • ioriyagamiioriyagami Registered User new member
    Is Six Arms still open? I tried it last year and liked it. It is an American gastropub with some selection of local beers and pretty decent food (and totes, man I love totes). I am surprised it is not in the list, so that is why I am asking if it is still in business...

ioriyagami wrote: »
    Is Six Arms still open? I tried it last year and liked it. It is an American gastropub with some selection of local beers and pretty decent food (and totes, man I love totes). I am surprised it is not in the list, so that is why I am asking if it is still in business...

It's open. I added to to the map. I don't control the spreadsheet.

• cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ioriyagami wrote: »

It's open. I added to to the map. I don't control the spreadsheet.

Added to the spreadsheet.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    My suggestions I don't see on the list, from $-$$:

In the Bowl (vegetarian)
    U:Don (which is next to Rachel's Ginger Beer and others)
    Captain Black's (meh food, nice patio tho)
    Bait Shop (good fried fish, tacos... very good happy hour from 4-6pm)
    Witness (get there for the 10pm sermon - and that's from a nontheist!)
    Revolver (Monday all day happy hour- $2 basket of fried okra and good spins)
    Nate's Wings & Waffles
    Ba Bar (street food at $$ price, good ambiance and the ox-tail pho is my one true love)
    Tacos Chukis (why is that not on there?!)
    Highline (vegan grub, metal bar- there may be shows in the evening tho)
    Ian's Pizza (if Sizzle Pie is too busy, this place is pretty accessible)

(These are all .6 to 1.2 miles away by foot - closest is Revolver, farthest is Bait Shop)

Nullthread on
  • cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Nullthread wrote: »

In the Bowl (vegetarian)
    Nate's Wings & Waffles
    Ba Bar (street food at $$ price, good ambiance and the ox-tail pho is my one true love)

(These are all .6 to 1.2 miles away by foot - closest is Revolver, farthest is Bait Shop)

Updated the list.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
    curse wrote: »
    Nullthread wrote: »

In the Bowl (vegetarian)
    Nate's Wings & Waffles

Updated the list.
    Ditto the map.

• Mastiff_AwarenessMastiff_Awareness Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    OK, I couldn't resist registering and sharing these spots.
    Definitely hit up Paseo http://www.paseorestaurants.com/ for their seared scallop and grilled pork sandwiches. They are seriously do die for! If you're in the mood for poutine, check out Skillet: https://skilletfood.com/restaurant/seattle-center/ for a quick bite.
    Also, it'd be pretty cool if y'all came to the Nindies@Night event to come play Gurumin 3D, and/or swing by the Nintendo booth during PAX to play the demo, say hello, and let us know what you thought of the places if you decide to eat at either.
    Hope to meet you all at some point. If not, have fun at the show and be safe. :D

Mastiff_Awareness on
  • TheAngryPunTheAngryPun Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    I'll second Headhunter here: The Juicy Cafe in the convention center is reasonably priced and very healthy, and they sell the wonderful brew known as PAX Crack (an arcane healing potion of cayenne pepper, ginger, blended green veggies, and fruit juices) during the show.

TheAngryPun on
  • somenewguysomenewguy Registered User new member
    I like to eat at Kraken Congee in pioneer square. The have tasty Filipino/S.E. asian influenced food and are located fairly close to the convention center in pioneer square. Pork belly adobo pinch buns, five spice duck confit congee all for very reasonable prices(I'm fairly sure if you mention that you are in town for pax they will even give you 10% off the bill).

• dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Vito's. Best Italian food anywhere. Best old fashioneds anywhere. Awesome atmosphere. I go every PAX at least twice.

dm_magic on
    bn4KEyz.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    OK, I couldn't resist registering and sharing these spots.
    Definitely hit up Paseo http://www.paseorestaurants.com/ for their seared scallop and grilled pork sandwiches. They are seriously do die for! If you're in the mood for poutine, check out Skillet: https://skilletfood.com/restaurant/seattle-center/ for a quick bite.
    Also, it'd be pretty cool if y'all came to the Nindies@Night event to come play Gurumin 3D, and/or swing by the Nintendo booth during PAX to play the demo, say hello, and let us know what you thought of the places if you decide to eat at either.
    Hope to meet you all at some point. If not, have fun at the show and be safe. :D

FYI on Paseo: it is fantastic...but there are no locations within walking distance of PAX. You're in for a 10-15 minute drive in traffic to get to one.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • treboniustrebonius Registered User new member
    edited September 2016
    I recommend Cafe Yumm as an option that's both very quick and healthy. It's very close to the convention center, they are fast, and it's not a heavy meal that will put you to sleep. And I love the sauce they put in their bowls. https://goo.gl/maps/WQ1LAAvsBtA2

It's not a must-visit type place, but it's great for when you're hangry at the convention center.

trebonius on
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Being greasy like my cosplay, I usually stick to the faster places near the convention center. Chipotle on 3rd, MOD Pizza south of the convention center, and the Jimmy Johns south of the Sheraton are my perennial go-to's.

Here's my food map from 2014. I didn't get around to updating it, so not everything is accurate. A few updates I do know:
    - The Motif is not a venue
    - The Urbane dot is the Olive 8 venue
    - The Westin venue is that double-barrel building just south of the north-west McDonalds.
    - Speaking of McDonalds: Don't go to the one on 3rd and Pine, southwest of Westlake. That intersection is called The Blade and the city cannot control it; it should be avoided. (Chipotle's corner of 3rd usually isn't so bad; stick to Pike when walking west.)
    - Cyberdogs is closed, and the spot labeled Metropole changes names every year.
    ED6PBSb.jpg

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Remember guys, the light rail pick up like three blocks from the door, and goes both to Cap Hill and Chinatown.

And the Cap Hill stop, which is one stop away, is right across from Dick's!

• jnyamajnyama Registered User new member
    Just joined this forum for the express purpose of giving feedback on the taco place in the convention center, which I had for dinner tonight: Bleh.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I don't know what you expected of a taco chain that was experiencing an extremely high volume of traffic during PAX. I've had it non-PAX and it was fine - like any other Taco del Mar. I had it during PAX and it was less than optimal but still edible.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    4th St Westlake park food trucks were great. Off the Rez Indian tacos were great and the Seattle Chicken and Rice is just as good as Boston's :P

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Is the Pine Box included here yet? Fantastic bar on Capitol Hill, right by Lil Woody's. Great food if You need it and they are not stingy with the booze. Plus, they love PAX goers.

What happened to the food trucks this year? There were a bunch outside the convention centre almost every day last year, only saw 1 game promotion related truck this time around.
    trebonius wrote: »
    I recommend Cafe Yumm as an option that's both very quick and healthy. It's very close to the convention center, they are fast, and it's not a heavy meal that will put you to sleep. And I love the sauce they put in their bowls. https://goo.gl/maps/WQ1LAAvsBtA2

It's not a must-visit type place, but it's great for when you're hangry at the convention center.

I finally tried them, quite good!

What happened to the food trucks this year? There were a bunch outside the convention centre almost every day last year, only saw 1 game promotion related truck this time around.

There were 1 or 2 at the Magic: The Gathering street fair pretty much the whole time.

• zenprimezenprime That Cat that ain't a Cat T-Town, WARegistered User regular
    Tried out Dragonfish Asian Cafe this year. It was weird. Maybe because it was 12am, maybe not.
    • They had great prices for happy hour going all the way till 2am.
    • Weird pan-asian fusion choices
    • One chicken dish smelled like crap. Tasted okay-ish. Bad mix of sauces.
    • Had an actual written policy against split checks, I asked the hostess and a server about it: Hostess said she was new and had no clue, Server just shrugged.
    Not going back.

Gourmet Dog Japan is a shadow of it's former self, menu was slashed in half, and whenever I trekked down there, they weren't cooking for some reason. Cyberdogs is gone. All I have left is Dog in the Park across from Westlake for a Seattle Dog.

PAXing till I Plotz
    xSBUZyE.png
    PAX Weast 2017 Status: Badges [X] Room [X] Fried Rice [X]
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've brought up Cyber Dogs being closed before, but that may have been for a different con.

Woody's was delicious as always. Big gooey burgers and cheesey fries which aren't really great fare to walk around on all day but if you're the type to not eat until you're starving when at a con it'll definitely fill you back up. I never know if that's a secret spot or not, it's not far from the WSCC but it's up a steep-ish hill which may deter some people. But you also get to walk past a dog park which is great!

There were 1 or 2 at the Magic: The Gathering street fair pretty much the whole time.

Really? Damn, I'll ask earlier in the show next year.

Really? Damn, I'll ask earlier in the show next year.

For 2 of the days, it was nothing fancy. Just straightforward grilled sandwiches and hot dog cart. But they were good, and it was outside in nice weather. But at least one day The Cheese Wizards were there, and that was some tasty grilled cheese. That is a general PAX problem, it's hard to find out about specific cool stuff happening. Even in the Convention Center, a cool thing might be pretty well hidden.

• windfallwindfall Registered User regular
    So labor day derailed my monday food plans, but otherwise I was able to stick to the spreedsheet more or less. Didn't get to hit up many bars to due to exhaustion though. But I'm so looking forward to next year!

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Had pretty decent food luck, aside from the westlake food court being down for renovation. Had to settle for Buffalo Wild Wings which is...meh. But caught the light rail a couple times to get food offsite (Dicks!), and hit up Ohana (hadn't been) and Blue Water (had been to one elsewhere).

Oh and the People's Burger food truck was legit, and free for anybody who packed into the Wargaming shindig Saturday. Which was free, and didn't even require a PAX badge. And had free beer!