As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    This'll do:
    Lkq3hOf.jpg

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    So are weapons allowed in Elysium in Regent Julia court? Is this summons to an Elysium? I would be armed if it's allowed so I wanted to ask, assuming my char would know.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Weapons are typically never allowed in any Elysium, unless you hold office or have a damn good reason. Your character should know better, unless your Sire wasn't much for Elysium or politics.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    This is a relative approximation of the woman.
    LzTytLD.jpg

One roll per post, apparently.

Good to know. (I imagine it's to avoid editing for better rolls.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I assume no one is accepting the vitae offered. It restores a blood point if taken.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I assume no one is accepting the vitae offered. It restores a blood point if taken.
    "Never accept blood from strangers you haven't hunted down yourself" sounds like something a Sire would say.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So we are introducing ourselves to the lady?

Being that Lizzy has been in NYC since 2008, wouldn't she know who or if there was a Malk Primogen?

• Options
    You don't have to, but it's probably a good idea.

And that depends on how active Lizzy's been in local politics.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Did what I did count, or do I have to do it again?

• Options
    You can make a more formal introduction if you wish, since this is to become Acknowledged in the city. That was just to get in the door.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Seeing the die rolls, I'm going to be asking for help when I reach a point of needing one because Ardent's latest roll has me staring at the screen like O_O.

I don't honestly understand yet what the roll patterns are for skills here, probably just need an example to start.

• Options
    Sure.

4d10o10h8 1 [4d10o10h8=3, 2, 1, [10, 4]]

4d means 4 dice

10 means 10 sides to the dice

o10 means a result that comes up 10 is rerolled until it is not 10

h8 means count any result greater than 8 as a success.

Orokos -- which is the engine Geth uses to roll -- is very robust.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Thanks.

The "o10h8" was where I got lost.

The next step is understanding the needs of the system. I feel like I'm understand the that number of dice you roll is based on the points you have in attribute/skill (or whatever the combo of those is).

Is the 8 or more is a success and/or reroll any 10s a V:tM or NWoD requirement? Have the rulebooks, but I didn't get farther than character creation for now.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    8 succeeds is an nWoD thing, I think. Original V:TM had variable difficulty numbers, but if CJ is running this with the nWoD rules it's always going to be 8. The o10 thing might change based on some abilities, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    8 succeeds is an nWoD thing, I think. Original V:TM had variable difficulty numbers, but if CJ is running this with the nWoD rules it's always going to be 8. The o10 thing might change based on some abilities, though.
    Not always. If I remember correctly Vampires are sometimes rolling against difficulty 7 for Discipline-enhanced rolls?

*shrug* Most of the time it is 8, though.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, really just keep the formula Xd10o10 and let cj decide what passes.

Edit... I rolled a 12 from a d10?

Geth roll 6d10o10 for Fun!

Fun!:
    6d10o10 42 [6d10o10=6, 9, 5, 4, 6, 12]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Because you had an open roll w/o the success threshold defined.

Ardent on
  • Options
    Unless it's something I deem more challenging than normal, I'll typically allow it to succeed with 1 success. I'll be up front when a situation will make it more challenging.
    Feel free to ask prior to making a roll.

I honestly forgot about the o10 rule, so feel free to add that in going forward. (I'd been under the impression that 10s just resulted in exceptional successes.)

8 or higher will count as a success.
    Thanks.

The "o10h8" was where I got lost.

The next step is understanding the needs of the system. I feel like I'm understand the that number of dice you roll is based on the points you have in attribute/skill (or whatever the combo of those is).

Is the 8 or more is a success and/or reroll any 10s a V:tM or NWoD requirement? Have the rulebooks, but I didn't get farther than character creation for now.

You're pretty much spot on. To give another example(from the NWoD book), you'd roll Wits+Investigation to examine an area. If you had 3 in Wits and 4 in Investigation, it'd be 7d10. But if you have, say, 2 points in Auspex, and are using that as well, it'd be 9d10.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    @Fencingsax I don't think Danny would be opposed to people referring to him by a nickname, if Max thinks 'Mouse' would be a good fit based on what he's seen, he's welcome to see if it sticks. But I don't think Danny has been 'Mouse' yet.

• Options
    If Lizzy when out the side where Sybil had a smoke, would that be considered leaving? I was thinking of smoothing things out with her but that one line about the Lobby was opened and nothing else makes me wonder.

• Options
    Technically, but if she stays in the immediate area, a complaint is unlikely.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    So I am thinking of running a vampire game hoped to get some thoughts and ideas and feedback.

My main idea (before I get into plotting) is to run the game much more as a narrative with a lot of hidden information. The basic structure would be that the prince of a city has given your group a task and expects you to carry it out.

Players would then have to report back individually and as a group every month of in game time. So a player might give me two tasks they want to complete in the time and how they want to complete it and what they bring and what resources they're willing to use so on and so forth and I make the rolls and tell them how they fare and then they get to write up a report to the rest of the group.

Thus the only "scenes" as it were would be the stories each character tells to the rest of the group.

This lets players do all their long writing without things getting bogged down. It lets them interact with NPCs and write about how they reacted without waiting for the GM to tell them what is up. It lets combat happen without a lot of game slowdown. And also lets players take actions against other players/be sneaky/play like actual goddamn vampires. As a nice side benefit it means that the posting/writing requirements for the GM isn't 4+ times that of a player.

I haven't figured out exactly how I am going to structure things (like how many "actions" do you get per week) or how I am going to build/present the game world or what exactly the over plot is et al. But I figured I can start work on the first part which would be figuring out how to structure things(at least for the start)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    What version of Auspex are we using?

• Options
    Depends on the ability. Typically Auspex+(appropriate stat). Investigation for Aura Perception.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So I am thinking of running a vampire game hoped to get some thoughts and ideas and feedback.

My main idea (before I get into plotting) is to run the game much more as a narrative with a lot of hidden information. The basic structure would be that the prince of a city has given your group a task and expects you to carry it out.

Players would then have to report back individually and as a group every month of in game time. So a player might give me two tasks they want to complete in the time and how they want to complete it and what they bring and what resources they're willing to use so on and so forth and I make the rolls and tell them how they fare and then they get to write up a report to the rest of the group.

Thus the only "scenes" as it were would be the stories each character tells to the rest of the group.

This lets players do all their long writing without things getting bogged down. It lets them interact with NPCs and write about how they reacted without waiting for the GM to tell them what is up. It lets combat happen without a lot of game slowdown. And also lets players take actions against other players/be sneaky/play like actual goddamn vampires. As a nice side benefit it means that the posting/writing requirements for the GM isn't 4+ times that of a player.

I haven't figured out exactly how I am going to structure things (like how many "actions" do you get per week) or how I am going to build/present the game world or what exactly the over plot is et al. But I figured I can start work on the first part which would be figuring out how to structure things(at least for the start)

You may want to ask in the general RP thread, but IMO, sounds like it would kill most if not all opportunities for group interaction.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So how much would a typical vampire in NYC with no dots in Occult know about Kuei-Jin?

I just read up on them in wikis thanks to Google but I'm not familiar with them myself.

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Very, very little. You've heard of them, know they're from Asia, and not to be trifled with.

Of course, there are likely others who know more, if you care to ask around.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    @cj iwakura If you want to jump ahead to leaving Deke's apartment, that's fine. Unless you want me to describe a posh NYC condo?

• Options
    Well, no one had talked with the Seneschal as directed... I was going to basically gloss that over, and then yes, that's acceptable. The same night, or the one afterward? Technically there is time that evening, though it's up to group preference.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I think we actually agreed in character to go tonight.

• Options
    Unless Danny disagrees, that seems to be the case.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Danny doesn't like to be in charge of decision making. He'll acquiesce to majority rule a lot of the time.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Unless anyone has more to ask of the Seneschal or anyone at Elysium, they are free to leave and prepare before meeting up later.

If you care to do any investigating or use any resources to learn more about Chinatown or the Kuei-Jin, you have that option as well(roll Wits + Investigation + [Background]).

Asking around at Elysium will not require an investigative roll. Asking around the city will.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I think Deke's Contacts may just have carried the day again. 2 successes on 4 dice. *sweatdrop*

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Presumably, we arrange for a time to meet at Deke's?

• Options
    I believe everyone was going to make it there in about an hour. Which would leave half the night to explore Chinatown...s sewers.

• Options
    Okay, I got confused.

• Options
    If I'm in chinatown (I have it written up but not posted) and I want to spot the Kuei-Jin among the people there, would that be Perception, Alertness, and Auspex or Perception, Streetwise, and Auspex?

• Options
    It's assumed you went along, yes. You could try Aura Perception, but you'd be trying to spot one in a crowd. AP requires focusing on one person.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I was mostly just thinking of a general look around and thought "Auspex heightens senses, let's use that" but I guess I'll just not as I'm looking for anyone who stands out as vampire in the crowd.