As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gene Wilder dies at 83

CogCog What'd you expect?Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37215553
US actor Gene Wilder, remembered by many for his namesake role in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, has died at the age of 83, his family confirmed.
The comic actor also starred in classic films such as The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.
Mr Wilder frequently collaborated with writer and director Mel Brooks as well as stand-up comedian Richard Pryor.
The two-time Oscar-nominated actor was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 1989.

Holy shit this is depressing. People always say how much a certain celebrity impacted their lives and how sad they are, but this one honestly hit me like others haven't before. Gene Wilder influenced so much of my childhood and sense of humor.

Wow, I am sad as fuck.

Cog on

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Very sad and he'll be missed but I am glad he was able to live a good long life.

of many great performances, he'll always be Willy Wonka to me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Genuinely unlike any other actor. He was wonderful.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Well I know what I'm doing tonight.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    I've said it too many times already, but 2016 sure has been an awful year.
    Definitely firing up Blazing Saddles as soon as I can.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    "Are we awake?"
    "I don't know. Are we black?"
    "Yes."
    "Then we're awake."

So many classic lines.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    For the last year and a half of my PhD, one of my friends printed out a picture of Gene Wilder from Young Frankenstein and taped it to my door saying "Dr. Arch will see you now" because at the time (and, now that I haven't had a haircut in a while) my hair looked just like his in the early scenes of that movie.

I loved it because that movie is a classic, and Gene Wilder was one of my favorite comedic actors of all time.

Rest in Peace, Gene

:(

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wow.

I think if an actor could die who would impact me the way Robin Williams did, it's Wilder.

What a tragedy. Rest in Peace, Gene. Say hi to Gilda for us...

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.
    Anything you want to, do it; want to change the world? There's nothing to it.

It's not an uncommon sentiment to say that Gene Wilder was the Willy Wonka, but he was in so many amazing movies, and made so many movies amazing. I like See No Evil, Hear No Evil in particular.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I am getting a little tired of your shit, 2016.

This is terrible. So many of his movies I can basically recite from memory, they're so good. This is a tragic blow to comedy, acting and humanity.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Yeah. Between Prince, Alan Rickman, Gene Wilder, Muhammad Ali and Frank Kelly this is a pretty terrible year.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Yeah. Between Prince, Alan Rickman, Gene Wilder, Muhammad Ali and Frank Kelly this is a pretty terrible year.

And David Bowie. Like, this year is destroying all the cultural icons I grew up loving. Just another sign I'm getting old, I guess.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

fuck right in the feels. Having lost my favorite aunt recently to alzheimers I am happy to hear that Gene was with his family to the end.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    2016, can you please just go and eat a chocolate dick? I've had enough of your bullshit and there's still 4 months to go.

:cry:

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Is the grisly reaper mowing?

Yes... :(

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    the year 2016 is doo doo

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    oh fuck I just can't take this. 2016 has be awful. Not just for celeb deaths but for me personally.

I lost my dad 2 weeks ago and one of my dogs yesterday.

Just fuck this year. seriously.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    *flips coffee table*

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Well this sucks. He'll be sorely missed, but at least he got a long life and went out with his family with him.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

fuck right in the feels. Having lost my favorite aunt recently to alzheimers I am happy to hear that Gene was with his family to the end.

I just lost my favourite Aunt to Alzheimer's too. Her funeral was today. I'm too numb to feel anything right now. I expect this one will hit me in a few days.

• Options
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Well... 83 is a good age and Alzheimers is a shitty disease. Him going out peacefully is for the best.

Still hurts, but his movies are still with us.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Heard on NPR that before he got involved on stage he was a trained fencer.

Then they did a bunch of fencing puns relating to his comedy style on screen.

I was just talking about Hear No Evil See No Evil today before I heard about the news.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

I just lost my favourite Aunt to Alzheimer's too. Her funeral was today. I'm too numb to feel anything right now. I expect this one will hit me in a few days.

I lost my grandmother to it earlier this year.

Internet group hug. :(
    Rius wrote: »
    If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.
    Anything you want to, do it; want to change the world? There's nothing to it.

It's not an uncommon sentiment to say that Gene Wilder was the Willy Wonka, but he was in so many amazing movies, and made so many movies amazing. I like See No Evil, Hear No Evil in particular.

That's one of my favourites too. Wilder and Pryor were such an amazing double act.

RIP, sir, and thanks for all the laughs.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

I motion that we all move directly into 2017 now.

Maybe 2020, to be on the safe side.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gene Wilder was amazing and a world in which he doesn't exist is inferior to a world in which he does.

But you know, he lived a long life and died peacefully, beloved by millions and in the care and comfort of family. It's hard to imagine a better life than his, and equally hard to imagine a better death.

I think I'll introduce my children to Young Frankenstein.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Gene Wilder was amazing and a world in which he doesn't exist is inferior to a world in which he does.

But you know, he lived a long life and died peacefully, beloved by millions and in the care and comfort of family. It's hard to imagine a better life than his, and equally hard to imagine a better death.

I think I'll introduce my children to Young Frankenstein.

This post, and those like it.

I want to be more upset than I am, but everyone has to go sometime, and it would be rather presumptuous to hope for a happier ending than living 80+ years that were more good than bad, dying peacefully among those you love, and leaving behind a world that will remember you fondly for years to come.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2016
    From a joint interview they did with Ebert.
    “What are you doing next?” Wilder asked Pryor.

“It’s a movie called Which Way is Up?” Pryor said. “This, uh, Italian director, Lina Wertmuller.”

“No!” said Wilder. “Oh my God! I’ll kill myself!”

“What are you moaning about, man?”

“You’re going to work with Lina Wertmuller? She passed right by me and saw you and said, ‘I must have that young man’?”

“You didn’t let me finish,” Pryor said. “She made this movie called The Seduction of Mimi, and this will be a remake, set among the grape pickers of California. Somebody else is directing.”

“I would have killed myself out of envy,” Wilder said.

“And then,” said Pryor, “I’m in a remake of Arsenic and Old Lace.”

“My favourite play next to Hamlet,” Wilder said. “All black cast, I suppose, nothing for me.”

“And then,” said Pryor, “I’m doing Hamlet.”

Bogart on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Young Frankenstein is one of my all time favorites, I watch it every Halloween. It is so much more of the spirit of season to me than any horror flick. Some sillyness, some ludeness, a bunch of laughs.

Wilder being from Milwaukee, this is getting an extra bit of attention here.

Saw this on my way home last night.

Capture_1472521871338_45425805_ver1.0_640_480.PNG

And one of the local radio stations this morning played Putting On the Ritz from Young Frankenstein, monster yowling and all. Which always makes me regret I don't know how to tap dance.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    In the Life's Great Injustices Department, tonight I went onto Netflix to see what Gene Wilder movies might be available for streaming.

The answer is: none. Not a one. The goddamn search didn't even recognize his name. Not even a "Movies Like..." for any of his films.

What the fuck, Netflix?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I basically tore my room apart last night looking for my copy of Young Frankenstein.

And then today NPR was playing an interview with him from 2005 and just hearing his voice on the radio had me sad and happy all at the same time.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    In the Life's Great Injustices Department, tonight I went onto Netflix to see what Gene Wilder movies might be available for streaming.

The answer is: none. Not a one. The goddamn search didn't even recognize his name. Not even a "Movies Like..." for any of his films.

What the fuck, Netflix?

Sane with Hulu. Same with Prime. Same with HBO Now.

Nobody is streaming any of these movies and it's a damn tragedy.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

What the fuck, Netflix?

That's crazy. The Irish / British version of Netflix has The Little Prince, Hear No Evil See No Evil and Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask. How the hell does the American version have nothing?!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its a shame that so much of his filmography simply isnt available. We need some kind of dvd box set

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

What the fuck, Netflix?

That's crazy. The Irish / British version of Netflix has The Little Prince, Hear No Evil See No Evil and Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask. How the hell does the American version have nothing?!

Amazon has several of his movies for rent, including all those, but none on Prime. I recently started Netflix's disk service, and I'm sure they have at least some.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I haven't watched it probably since the 80's, but Haunted Honeymoon was one of my favorite movies of his. Vaguely in the same ballpark as Clue: a throwback screwball comedy. Great performances from Wilder, Gilda Radner, and Dom DeLuise.

I just looked it up on IMDB and WOW! It also has three great actors from Game of Thrones! Maester Aemon, Mace Tyrell, and the High Sparrow are all in it too.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    edit: wrong thread

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I still remember the first time I ever watched a movie with Gene Wilder in it. It was Blazing Saddles. My older brother and I watched it in the living room on TV with my parents, and it was the hardest I had ever laughed for a live-action show (I was young enough at that point, that my laughter was usually reserved for saturday morning looney toons cartoons).

After that, whenever I came across a movie on TV that had Gene Wilder in it, I always made a point of watching it because it was guaranteed to entertain me and make me laugh. Suffice it to say, I will deeply miss the esteemed Dr. Frankensteen.

May his memory live long, and his humour follow him to whatever afterlife awaits him.

• Options