As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Legion: I have sacrificed everything...

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The Brulfist Idol needed to be nerfed, but not this much. It's not even fun now. It's about the same height as a regular jump. It should still launch you high enough to at least knock off some health.

edit: Or they could've just applied an unremovable stun while you're in the air. Then it remains funny and largely useless, like toys should be.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    if I wanted a zone to myself with convenient access to everything I'd play a single player game. Having other players around is half of what makes an MMO worth playing. if you don't see any other players outside cities, what's the point?

It sounds silly, but I don't think you can underestimate the effect of passing other players on the road frequently in making a world feel vibrant, alive, and real, instead of just a collection of polygons.

Flying makes everything easy, and if everything is easy then nothing is satisfying.

Dhalphir on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Saeris wrote: »
    The Brulfist Idol needed to be nerfed, but not this much. It's not even fun now. It's about the same height as a regular jump. It should still launch you high enough to at least knock off some health.

Or just give it a super long CD like they did for the kite.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The cooldown added was excessive.

Maybe upping it to around five minutes would have been good, but now it's only a sometimes thing you use in sparse situations. Whereas before I was using it to do some wild, and quite simply fun stuff.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Saeris wrote: »

Or just give it a super long CD like they did for the kite.

Or that, yeah. I'm surprised to see them apply such a heavy-handed hotfix when they've shown so much thought in their designs in this expansion thus far.

borb_sig.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Because most humans are terrible and I can get my MMO doing other things.

In the past week I've been griefed at least 3 times a day in some form or another. Mob training by people seems to be the crowd favorite right now. More my own faction since I'm a tank and it's cool to get me to tank shit for them.

I don't see how flying negates any of what you're saying. Oh well I won't run into people on my way to the next objective? It's not really a salient point, it's just a feel good because you happen to agree with that notion. I never noticed dead zones in wrath or bc or literally anything else other than 3 months out and no one's questing anymore except alts.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    Mob training by people seems to be the crowd favorite right now. More my own faction since I'm a tank and it's cool to get me to tank shit for them.

And what's the problem with that? As long as they're sticking around to help you kill it (and i've never seen someone train a mob onto you and then fuck off to let you kill it for them) then that's kind of part of the whole MMO experience and what makes world quests so great in my opinion - everyone working together to do them.

Although I hate flying and wish it was never added to the game, I can sympathize with the folks who just want to get where they're going. To some people, that's the game. Not the immersive world, just the theme park. Nothing wrong with that. It's just unfortunate that flying damages immersion so much.

I wonder how many people would play on a no-flight server.

borb_sig.png
    Mob training by people seems to be the crowd favorite right now. More my own faction since I'm a tank and it's cool to get me to tank shit for them.

And what's the problem with that? As long as they're sticking around to help you kill it (and i've never seen someone train a mob onto you and then fuck off to let you kill it for them) then that's kind of part of the whole MMO experience and what makes world quests so great in my opinion - everyone working together to do them.

they don't, they usually fuck off to find more to try and drag them to me

other faction just watch you

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

This is a small problem for me atm. I am a tank and usually do world quests in bear form. Alliance tend to drag stuff through my AOE and then suddenly I am tanking more than I planned for. Stuff I am not going to even get credit for.

It doesn't help that my server is like 80% Alliance and they don't seem to realize that cross faction tagging only works on named mobs.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited September 2016

Saving you the time of running off to get them yourself? Enabling you to play to your strength by AOEing a lot of mobs while they go and get them from where they are all spread out to. Sounds like the ideal way to do them. If they're dragging mobs onto you past the point where you're done with the world quest, just run off. It's not like you can be dazed, just run out of range when you're done.

It kind of sounds like you're complaining about something that benefits you because it benefits them more.

Dhalphir on
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Alliance tend to drag stuff through my AOE and then suddenly I am tanking more than I planned for. Stuff I am not going to even get credit for.

It's not like it takes you any more effort to tank 8 mobs than 4. You're not going to die either way and it doesn't add to your workload. What's the big deal?

Is it some deep-seated desire to avoid doing anything for anyone else if it doesn't benefit you, even if it doesn't cost you anything?

Saving you the time of running off to get them yourself? Enabling you to play to your strength by AOEing a lot of mobs while they go and get them from where they are all spread out to. Sounds like the ideal way to do them. If they're dragging mobs onto you past the point where you're done with the world quest, just run off. It's not like you can be dazed, just run out of range when you're done.

It kind of sounds like you're complaining about something that benefits you because it benefits them more.

Look, I get it, you are a small minority of wow players that likes that shit.

But yes, it is annoying, and people are annoying, and sometimes I'm done with those quests and it's hard to kill things and leave combat when people keep training shit onto me since half of my abilities are aoes.

It's stupid.

edited September 2016
    But yes, it is annoying, and people are annoying, and sometimes I'm done with those quests and it's hard to kill things and leave combat when people keep training shit onto me since half of my abilities are aoes.

So don't kill them? Just stop using abilities so that you're not AOEing new mobs, jump on your divine steed and run away. Mob leash ranges are tinier than they've ever been, a single divine steed would get you more than far enough away. It'd not even take ten seconds to drop combat.

Honestly, you are showing a really precious attitude here. You can't handle taking ten seconds to drop combat. You want to drop combat, mount up on your flying mount, fly to the next quest objective, do that one, then hearth back and...do what? You're rushing through playing the game without realising that you're making it just a list of chores instead of an actual game. Slow down and enjoy the cooperation and you might find that everything is a bit more enjoyable.

Your exact word choice from the first post about this reveals a lot about your attitude. You called it "griefing" when people drag mobs to you. That's your projection, not the reality. The exact same action, interpreted with a different intention, becomes other players trying to help themselves and help you at the same time by dragging a ton of mobs to you because you're a tank, AOE damage is your forte, single target damage is not, it allows them to DPS freely without fear of aggro, and allows you to complete the quest with a minimum of running around.

Everybody benefits but you call it griefing.

Change the way you think about it and you'll not find it so bad.

Dhalphir on
    okay

edited September 2016
    Alliance tend to drag stuff through my AOE and then suddenly I am tanking more than I planned for. Stuff I am not going to even get credit for.

It's not like it takes you any more effort to tank 8 mobs than 4. You're not going to die either way and it doesn't add to your workload. What's the big deal?

Bear isn't quite as indestructible as it used to be. I'm still getting used to having to use most of my rage on defense cooldowns, and Frenzied Regen is totally different now. It doesn't just give a bunch of health, it mostly gives you back health you lost in the last 5 seconds. So I'm still learning to keep an eye on how much health I lost and trying to calculate the best time to use it.

Does it get me killed a lot? No. But it can get me into trouble. Especially if I've overestimated what I can handle or it's somewhere that elites also roam around.

...and then after I've helped them kill all the stuff in the area, I get to wander off somewhere else to find more mobs because I didn't get credit for any of that.

Is it some deep-seated desire to avoid doing anything for anyone else if it doesn't benefit you, even if it doesn't cost you anything?

Clearly.

MuddBudd on
    edited September 2016
    Last word on the topic.

If you could pick a word to describe the design direction of Legion as an expansion, besides stuff like "class fantasy", the big one would be "cooperation."

Every single mechanic in the game seems designed to foster cooperation above all else, and multi-tap showcases this in a big way. Multi-tap on resource nodes means players can't be beaten to an ore node by two seconds, and can't lose out on a herb node while killing a mob guarding it because someone stole it. Multi-tap on quest mobs and rares encourages cooperation over competition when completing quests, which hasn't EVER been the case in WoW before.

If you're killing a quest mob for a world quest and a druid runs by and moonfires it to get credit without stopping to help you kill it, don't take it as an insult that he's trying to have you do your work for you. Why would it be an insult? It didn't take you any longer to kill the mob just because he tapped it, and now you both get credit. Next time you run past him and he's killing a mob, you can do the same thing. Hell, send him a whisper, if you're a tank, and suggest he round up mobs and bring them to you! Maybe you'll make a new friend.

For a long time, the optimal way to play World of Warcraft when it came to open-world content was to play it as a solo player. You got things done more quickly if there were no other players around. It was actually a bad thing if you ran into other players while questing. Legion is not like that, and you need to approach it differently, because everyone else will be.

Dhalphir on
    If you're killing a quest mob for a world quest and a druid runs by and moonfires it to get credit without stopping to help you kill it, don't take it as an insult that he's trying to have you do your work for you. Why would it be an insult? It didn't take you any longer to kill the mob just because he tapped it, and now you both get credit. Next time you run past him and he's killing a mob, you can do the same thing. Hell, send him a whisper, if you're a tank, and suggest he round up mobs and bring them to you! Maybe you'll make a new friend.

As I said, this only applies to named stuff in the world quests. Like, if the quest is 'kill 10 harpies, then kill this named harpy', I will only get cross-faction credit for the named harpy. Alliance are SEVERELY over-represented on Proudmoore. Seriously, seeing other Horde is extremely rare.

As I said, this only applies to named stuff in the world quests. Like, if the quest is 'kill 10 harpies, then kill this named harpy', I will only get cross-faction credit for the named harpy. Alliance are SEVERELY over-represented on Proudmoore. Seriously, seeing other Horde is extremely rare.

Severe faction imbalance situations definitely throw off some of the benefits of the whole multi tap system. I'll Grant you that. I really think they should have just made multitap work across factions as well. Especially on PvE servers.

My server is pretty evenly balanced so although I do grab aggro from Alliance players from time to time, it's by no means the overwhelming majority, and I can see how having to pay your way through 40 mobs just to get credit for 10 would get tired after a while.

Yes it would be way less frustrating on a more balanced server. But them's the breaks.

making it cross faction would 100% remove my problems with it tbh

I think once you gear up a bit more as a tank it will also become even less of a problem. When I was first doing world quests at 785 item level after just hitting 110, taking aggro from 7 or 8 quest mobs would have been a big problem. But now at nearly 850 I really don't care how many mobs are on me. I could have 30 on me and I'll still be fine. Even if they aren't ones that I can get credit for because they are opposite faction tagged, it's still fun to look at Skada and see a couple of million DPS because I'm AOE tanking so many.

Also, I apologize for my insinuations in previous posts, I didn't consider that you might be dealing with a majority of quest mobs being tagged by your opposite faction.

edited September 2016
    Also I would just like to register once again how ludicrous item level inflation is these days. The gap between 785 and 850 is almost as large as the gap from starter raids to endgame raids in Wrath of the Lich King.

And we haven't even started raids yet

Dhalphir on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Order Hall quest: "Locate Thunderfury and bring it back to Silithus."

It's in my bank! I don't need to go find it!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have the bindings and the sword on my Tauren warrior so which do you want?

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Also I would just like to register once again how ludicrous item level inflation is these days. The gap between 785 and 850 is almost as large as the gap from starter raids to endgame raids in Wrath of the Lich King.

They have already said that they are doing another stat squish in the next expansion.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Did someone say Thunderfury?

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Man, I started doing Highmountain and it's just sapping it out of me. I think it's the fact that so far it reminds me entirely too much of Mulgore and the Tauren portion of Thousand Needles.

Not that it's Tauren, but the storylines that are being used are pretty damn close to the Tauren storylines in those zones.

Nobody on
    Highmountain was so fucking long

easily 2 zones worth of content

edited September 2016

They have already said that they are doing another stat squish in the next expansion.

I don't mean related to stats squishes, I just mean the ludicrous gaps in power that we start to see between a fresh max level and a geared max level. The power gap between me right now at 847 item level and a fresh max level at 790 item level is about the same as the gap between a Naxx raider and a heroic icecrown raider in Wrath.

Dhalphir on
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Order Hall quest: "Locate Thunderfury and bring it back to Silithus."

It's in my bank! I don't need to go find it!

Similarly, protection Paladin being sent to Stormheim to recover a powerful Titan shield. Of which they already have one.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So, when can I get a follower that counters cursed for Mages? It's like every damn mission I'm getting now has it and has some chunky reward that I'd have to miss out on (especially the class storyline ones).

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    So, when can I get a follower that counters cursed for Mages? It's like every damn mission I'm getting now has it and has some chunky reward that I'd have to miss out on (especially the class storyline ones).

I can't remember when exactly I got my follower who could counter it, but it might have been shortly after I hit 110. Keep in mind you don't have to counter everything to succeed at a mission! It's not like the old garrison quests. You usually just need to counter the first thing and you'll be able to push past 100% with another follower and/or minion.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Secondary effects like cursed can require any of the secondary counters to deal with - counterspell, blizzard, blink, etc. It's not tied to a specific skill. You just need to have minions that can cover whatever is needed. I can't make a recommendation for you as such since I don't know what skill it's demanding that you use to counter the curse. Vargoth and Meryl are both really effective when you get them, however, as frost is at a premium compared to fire. Kalec becomes a monster when upgraded to uncommon as well.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I can't remember when exactly I got my follower who could counter it, but it might have been shortly after I hit 110. Keep in mind you don't have to counter everything to succeed at a mission! It's not like the old garrison quests. You usually just need to counter the first thing and you'll be able to push past 100% with another follower and/or minion.

Cursed removes bonus loot however, so that tactic doesn't work.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Today was a good day:

Bracers_zps9jjrlnzz.jpg

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, sorry, I completely forgot about bonus loot, which was the whole reason he brought up the cursed effect. D'oh.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Did not know Stormheim would have such an elaborate beginning.

You can really tell that this game engine can't really handle what they want to do. I had to load the scenario up a second time.

Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The ghost elves of Aszuna are odd. It does not seem like being a ghost is a really bad thing. I think they are playing off the idea that eternal existence would make life meaningless.

Krathoon on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ah, you mean Normal Elves

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.