As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    We were going to try Vast over the weekend, but whoever brought it for the common games shelf at the mini-convention hadn't actually punched any of the pieces.

I was reluctant to unpack and learn someone else's game.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    If we're talking games around 12 players, 2 Rooms and a Boom is perfect.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    We were going to try Vast over the weekend, but whoever brought it for the common games shelf at the mini-convention hadn't actually punched any of the pieces.

You do not want to try to learn Vast on the fly. At a bare minimum someone needs to have read the rules going in, but for a good experience I'd say have everyone watch the intro video for the role they are going to play.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

You do not want to try to learn Vast on the fly. At a bare minimum someone needs to have read the rules going in, but for a good experience I'd say have everyone watch the intro video for the role they are going to play.

Yeah, I've got some information gleaned from the internet and I was like "What the heck, let's go!" and then I opened the box and went "Huh, what if we just play Lagoon?"

Speaking of which, I picked that up in the auction they had going. I've played it before, so I know (and like) the game; no issues there. It's got the wooden kickstarter pieces and also some expansion bits I don't recognize what are for. Anyone have any idea what tokens using the Astral symbol or what seems to be a bonus faction using the Haven symbol do?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    how the fuck

have I not seen any reviews

OF VAST

/emphatic and exasperated hang gestures

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Reviews have been limited because supply is limited. It's a new publisher, and they didn't plan on going to distribution (but they will in the second printing because of the great reception the game is getting). They pretty much sold out of the run between Kickstarter fulfillment and Gen Con sales. You can pre-order directly from them for the early 2017 arrival of the reprint, or it will probably be in stores after that point.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/
    Games Workshop has been a fantastic partner for the past eight years, and we’re thrilled that we had the opportunity to work together and bring so many new and exciting games into the world. As much as we have enjoyed creating these games, our current licensing term is coming to an end.

Speculation was out there about this but here's the official announcement.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Games Workshop has been a fantastic partner for the past eight years, and we’re thrilled that we had the opportunity to work together and bring so many new and exciting games into the world. As much as we have enjoyed creating these games, our current licensing term is coming to an end.

Just saw that. Makes me glad I never got into the 40k lcg despite wanting to and bring very tempted by the sales the other day.

I never saw the speculation so I dunno what the assumed reasons are for the termination.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Reviews have been limited because supply is limited.

Also it's kind of difficult to explain properly since there's so much going on.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    We've finally gotten past the noob threshold of Doomtown: Reloaded, and it was awesome. My brother-in-law was itching for revenger after losing two games from the tutorial decks. This time, he used the recommended Sloane deck while I switched to the recommended Morgan deck. I got trounced twice because I kept losing lowball, but on the third game I managed to pull off a desperate defense by capitalising on the fact that he had no money and Ramiro Mendoza takes no cheques. Ramiro also took the bait on a showdown at the town square against my Jon Longstride, but ended up getting Pinned Down and ultimately sent to Boot Hill. So goddamn satisfying.

This really does not help me resist getting a second core set, but so far I'm holding to the fact that I'll be able to get the next 3 expansions within the month.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Just saw that. Makes me glad I never got into the 40k lcg despite wanting to and bring very tempted by the sales the other day.

I never saw the speculation so I dunno what the assumed reasons are for the termination.

I just bought the core set on CSI's sale...but I'm fine with it. I just want to try it myself and see how it goes, then maybe look at the Tyranid/Necron expansions. I don't need all of the things.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I actually had reply from the Vast chaps when I asked about UK stock.

They were polite, but most certainly under pressure by the sounds of things. They're pushing out the game as fast as they can, but copies are still scarce.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    WOOO!!!

My card just got charged for the next printing of Sekigahara.

It's happening!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Some games I'm hyped about right now are

CTHULHU WARS because god damn do I have fun playing this game my stars
    KEYFLOWER because it looks neat and I haven't played it yet
    VAST because it looks neat and I haven't played it yet
    SIMURGH because it looks neat and I haven't played it yet
    DAWN OF THE ZEDS because it looks neat and I haven't played it yet

I can go on for a while here

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    I actually had reply from the Vast chaps when I asked about UK stock.

They were polite, but most certainly under pressure by the sounds of things. They're pushing out the game as fast as they can, but copies are still scarce.

They seem a great group. They were highly apologetic that they were out of stock at their Gen Con booth.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

no more Relic. :(

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, I actually had no idea Fury of Dracula was a GW license. Apparently they published the first edition way back when.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Forbidden Stars is a real good war game. Probably my favorite. If moving dudes on a map is your thing at all, you might want to take a look into it before it's gone forever.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Man, I actually had no idea Fury of Dracula was a GW license. Apparently they published the first edition way back when.

Whoa, really? Bizarre.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

I just bought the core set on CSI's sale...but I'm fine with it. I just want to try it myself and see how it goes, then maybe look at the Tyranid/Necron expansions. I don't need all of the things.

Although it sucks that there's not more of it if you enjoy it, it's kind of nice to know that you can easily get a complete set. That is until it stops being sold and people charge crazy amounts for it.

I've just asked the guy who spies our game group with discounts to pick me up fury of dracula and forbidden stars. They were on my wishlist but may as well get them before the price gouging begins.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Welp, time for Fury of Dracula to go back out of print! :rotate:

Damn it all, I really like the Warhammer Quest card game and was hoping for a lot more for it.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    guess i should look and see whats going OOP and see if theres anything i want a copy of. i already have Fury of Dracula, but i had been eyeing the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game and maybe Blood Bowl Team Manager...

edit: dang Talisman is going OOP too...

Ah_Pook on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    How long does it typically take for a title to go from out of print to $Texas?

Fury of Dracula is pretty high up on my shortlist of games, but I've already blown a decent wedge board gaming in the last few months...

Fury of Dracula is pretty high up on my shortlist of games, but I've already blown a decent wedge board gaming in the last few months...

With 3E having come out earlier this year it'll probably be at least a few months before things get bad. There'll still be copies on game store shelves and so on.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Depends on supply. It could be a matter of hours.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    all of the talisman expansions are out of stock on CSI, for instance. don't know if they were earlier today or not, but they are now. some are still available reasonably on amazon, some arent. i didnt check around, but id say dont wait if theres something on that list you have to have.

Fury Of Dracula is also up to $70+ on amazon right now, though there are plenty of regularly priced copies on ebay and such... for the moment.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    WOOO!!!

It's happening!

I'm happy for you guys, and I want to own that game so much, but it would NEVER hit the table. I don't know who I would ever play with. Enjoy it!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Depends on supply. It could be a matter of hours.

I'm playing that game right now with Doomtown. I need to pick up three of the pine box sets, and they're hovering around $15-17 each. I picked up one a few months ago for $10, so I'm hoping that they drop down to that again before they go out of print/availability.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    WOOO!!!

It's happening!

Same. I'm pretty excited. I had forgotten about this.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

The end of organized played was what stuck with me. Obviously I wasn't involved, but it is essentially impossible to get people to play dead card games. With an actual OP setup you have a chance. But I have no one to play the game with otherwise and I have a basement full of other stuff I could play if my wife and I want to.

edited September 2016
    Guess who got access to a laminator and decent printer?
    This guy!

Still not as nice as I could get, but I'm working on a budget here. This was my first test of printing some materials for games. They came out a bit lighter than I expected, may make some adjustments for the next ones.

xpkdX7Tl.jpg
    The Crossfire card is original game materials for comparison.

Still have one more mission and a promo card (Harlequin's Shadow) to print.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Guess who got access to a laminator and decent printer?
    This guy!

Still not as nice as I could get, but I'm working on a budget here. This was my first test of printing some materials for games. They came out a bit lighter than I expected, may make some adjustments for the next ones.

xpkdX7Tl.jpg
    The Crossfire card is original game materials for comparison.

Still have one more mission and a promo card (Harlequin's Shadow) to print.
    Now I want to get a laminator...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

That said, besides Codenames, what social/party games do you feel will work well with people who don't know each other very much?

naked Twister, obvs

Cards against Humanity.

By the end of the first few rounds, you will know something about everyone. Usually just how perverted they are.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    They're actually not too expensive. I mean, you could buy a game for the cost of one plus materials, but it's less than $50 for most models.

We got one for my wife to laminate school stuff for the kids, so win-win.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    They're actually not too expensive. I mean, you could buy a game for the cost of one plus materials, but it's less than $50 for most models.

The [Board Game] thread typically makes me go out and buy board games, not office supplies. :D This thread is terrible for my wallet.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I wanted a color laser printer, but ended up with another ink jet due to cost. Color laser would have been amazing for pnp projects, but getting a good one with scanning is a few hundred. Ended up with a Brother with duplex printing for $50. Nice machine though and cheap ink supplies from third parties are readily available.
    We've already printed about 500 sheets of double-sided tests and worksheets for the year.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

The [Board Game] thread typically makes me go out and buy board games, not office supplies. :D This thread is terrible for my wallet.

Dang, if you're a boardgamer and haven't spent at least five figures on binders, card protectors, cardstock, and fishing tackle boxes, then you're an amateur.

Now you just need a CriCut!

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I helped a random person buy board games today! He was buying for a class/group of 13 year-olds, and already had the Target classics (Catan, TTR, Pandemic, Codenames). He had already decided on Dixit, but didn't want Dominion, so I showed him 7 Wonders, Takenoko, Hive, Carcassone, and Five Tribes. He ended up buying 7 Wonders but was interested in the others and will likely come back when budget allows.

Felt awesome to help someone buy games that they'll enjoy!