As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tire issues

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
So I've had this recurring tire issue. On the highway, around 65-70 my tire starts to make a thumping sound. It comes and goes with no real pattern. I had the tire checked and they saw no issue. I had the tires rotated and the sound moved with the tire so I'm 100% sure which one it is.

Any idea? Something easy to miss? Thanks in advance!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I would assume they did this while inspecting and rotating the tire, but it's balanced right? I've had the shaking thing happen at high speeds when my tires weren't balanced.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I assume so! I may get a second opinion. The tire is fairly new, too.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Can you explain a bit more about the sound moving with the tire?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Thumping sound, like you're rapidly hitting the world's smallest speed bumps. Only happens at high speeds, but not immediately and doesn't last the entire trip. Once in awhile it makes a really loud thumping sound like I physically hit something. Checked the tires at every stop and nothing ever caught in them.

Edit: As in it went from back passenger to front passenger side. That's how they rotated the wheels, so.

Magus` on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Thumping sound, like you're rapidly hitting the world's smallest speed bumps. Only happens at high speeds, but not immediately and doesn't last the entire trip. Once in awhile it makes a really loud thumping sound like I physically hit something. Checked the tires at every stop and nothing ever caught in them.

Edit: As in it went from back passenger to front passenger side. That's how they rotated the wheels, so.

Has me wondering if when they set the tire on the rim they left a present inside the tire or rim.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Possible uneven wear on that specific tire from it having been out of balance?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Has me wondering if when they set the tire on the rim they left a present inside the tire or rim.

highly suspect there is a tool inside your tire.

Either way if you know it follows the tire and it's within the warranty period, record the noise and take it back. Raise a damn ruckus if they don't replace it for free.

You could also take it to a tire repair place and ask them to take it off the rim for you. Then look inside, examine the rim, then ask them to put it back and see if the problem continues. Shouldn't cost you more than $20 for that.

spool32 on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Wheel weight coming loose might do it as well.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Agree with all the "loose somethingorother" above.

Once upon a time, I bought an old...Buick, I think...that had wheel locks on it, but one of the previous owners either got tired of them or lost the key or something, so they took the "outside" parts off but had to leave the "inside" parts on. This left loose pieces of metal on my wheels that made weird clanky noises. Drove me insane until I found the cause.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    You'd think they'd notice something like that when they rotated the tires. I'll see what I can find out.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    They wouldn't have taken the tire (rubber) off the wheel (metal) when rotating them. If something is inside the rubber, it could have been missed.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    your wheel could be imbalanced. a wheel has to be weighted properly so that its circular motion is even and smooth. sometimes a weight can get thrown off

They come in different shapes and sizes, but some of them are simply glued on, and get thrown off.

You usually only notice at high speeds.

plymouth_tyres_wheel_weight.jpg

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Either way if you know it follows the tire and it's within the warranty period, record the noise and take it back. Raise a damn ruckus if they don't replace it for free.

You could also take it to a tire repair place and ask them to take it off the rim for you. Then look inside, examine the rim, then ask them to put it back and see if the problem continues. Shouldn't cost you more than $20 for that.

Throwing my hat in this camp. If it was a tire imbalance issue, it should be present at most speeds, but most importantly it should be happening all the time, not intermittently as OP states. Further, and imbalanced tire would not cause an audible "clunk" noise from the wheel/tire assembly.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    your wheel could be imbalanced. a wheel has to be weighted properly so that its circular motion is even and smooth. sometimes a weight can get thrown off

They come in different shapes and sizes, but some of them are simply glued on, and get thrown off.

You usually only notice at high speeds.

plymouth_tyres_wheel_weight.jpg

I'll check this, among other things.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    I forgot to ask: Just a thumping sound, or anything accompanying it? Steering wheel shake? Noticeable movement in the affected tire? Pulling in either direction?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

Throwing my hat in this camp. If it was a tire imbalance issue, it should be present at most speeds, but most importantly it should be happening all the time, not intermittently as OP states. Further, and imbalanced tire would not cause an audible "clunk" noise from the wheel/tire assembly.

Another vote for "something inside the tire." I would get that checked out post-haste.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    This happens all the time up here if you drive in heavy snow--snow builds up along the inside of your rims and imbalances your tire. And only at high speeds. It sounds like a really fast thump sound.

It's almost absolutely just an imbalanced tire, likely from a weight falling off.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Looks to be correct. The balance was off by 2.5 (whatevers) which is apparently "a lot". I haven't had a chance to road test it but I think that was probably the issue.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Well, if they re-balanced it and didn't feel something rolling around inside the tire, then ya sounds like they got it. I'm still perplexed as to why it was an intermittent vibration then, though.

All's well that ends well.

Oh, and tire weight is usually measured in ounces (oz). 2.5 oz would DEFINITELY cause a tire vibration, and would likely have made it worse when they rotated the tire to the front of the vehicle (vibration would have been felt in your seat, then up in the steering wheel after the rotation).

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, if the balance was off for a long time, your tire has probably deformed somewhat. If you've still got plenty of tread on it, it's probably not worth replacing, but you WILL continue to hear the sound even after it's rebalanced.

On my car this happened with basically new tires because I'm an idiot who needed to have my shocks replaced. Everything is balanced and functional now, but I still have road noise when driving because the tires are oddly shaped now.

What is this I don't even.