As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Guess who got access to a laminator and decent printer?
    This guy!

Still not as nice as I could get, but I'm working on a budget here. This was my first test of printing some materials for games. They came out a bit lighter than I expected, may make some adjustments for the next ones.

xpkdX7Tl.jpg
    The Crossfire card is original game materials for comparison.

Still have one more mission and a promo card (Harlequin's Shadow) to print.

*links to Shadowrun peeps he knows*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Does anybody know what the story is with 51st State and it's various expansions vs. the Master Collection thing?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay. So with the license ending on GW and FFG, should I go rush out and buy a copy of Fury of Dracula?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Okay. So with the license ending on GW and FFG, should I go rush out and buy a copy of Fury of Dracula?

CoolStuffInc has already sold out of it, if that gives you any indication.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453

But is the game good?

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I think so, if you like hidden movement games. There is a PBP of it going in this subforum if you wanted to look at the rules.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

But is the game good?

It's regarded as very good.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

But is the game good?

*Checks with FLGS, cries over wallet*

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Fry wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Man, I actually had no idea Fury of Dracula was a GW license. Apparently they published the first edition way back when.

Whoa, really? Bizarre.

Games Workshop used to be a workshop for games before it turned into all Warhammerr all the time Waaargh Space marines Dakka Dakka.

Mmmmmmm Dark Future.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Fantastic new games keep coming out! For example, check out Potion Explosion.
    pic2730117.jpg

I want you to know that I saw this post while I was still in bed this morning and ordered this game without even getting dressed. I was still in such a sleep-haze that I had to check again after I got to work to be sure that I had actually ordered it, and didn't just imagine that.

This thread is dangerous, y'all.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

But is the game good?

I'm tempted to try get a copy of it before it's too late, but I guess it frequently runs over 3.5 hours? For that style of game, that seems ... too long.

As a fan of chaos in the old world and Mansions of Madness, I'm fine with that. I love hidden information games. And my flags is holding a copy for me after reading the su&sd review.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Fury of Dracula is a great game but the length makes it a game you won't play very often. But when you do it will be an Experience. I'm fine having a few of those big event games on the shelf, but know going in that it is a 3-4+ hour game.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I will say that I'm one of those people that really likes super long, complicated games, and even I would rather play Letters from Whitechapel over Fury of Dracula almost every single time. Letters from Whitechapel is fun every single time I've played it and takes an hour; Fury of Dracula has bombed almost half the time I've played it, and a 3 hour game that might bomb is a tough risk to take.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Potion Explosion does look great. I think that may be my next allowance target. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, Potion Explosion looks enjoyable and something my family would love. It's on my list now.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Of course, I say this having just panic-bought Forbidden Stars, which I doubt I'll ever get to the table due to its length. But ... that's the sort of game that I instinctively feel justifies its length, the sort of game we'd make a day of. I say this having never played Fury of Dracula, so I know that's unfair. I guess I need to be sold on it. Soon?

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    I will say that I'm one of those people that really likes super long, complicated games, and even I would rather play Letters from Whitechapel over Fury of Dracula almost every single time. Letters from Whitechapel is fun every single time I've played it and takes an hour; Fury of Dracula has bombed almost half the time I've played it, and a 3 hour game that might bomb is a tough risk to take.

I have the opposite experience, Whitechapel has bombed most times I've tried it, and Fury of Dracula 2E has been somewhere from good to great every time I've tried it (and I've heard that 3E is pretty much a straight upgrade).

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I have the opposite experience, Whitechapel has bombed most times I've tried it, and Fury of Dracula 2E has been somewhere from good to great every time I've tried it (and I've heard that 3E is pretty much a straight upgrade).

We're not that deep into it but I'm finding that I actually liked 2E's combat better so far in that play-by-post. The flow of the game overall seems better in 3E though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

I'm really curious, what was Whitechapel's failure mode for you?

edited September 2016
    Whitechapel definitely bombed in our first play of it, and we haven't touched it since. We felt it went on too long and just got samey. That's my worry with Fury of Dracula.

Specter Ops seems to have a nice balance of the gameplay shifting and play length, but I haven't really played it enough to say for sure.

Darric on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess those rumors of a Second Edition for Chaos were just that.

Looking forward to GW picking some incompetent company to make future games. Because clearly cheaper is better.

YL9WnCY.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Can't say that I'm a big fan of FURY OF DRACULA; much longer than it needs to be combined with few meaningful player choices, that equals tedium.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I spend a wildly disproportionate amount of time thinking about Sekigahara.

Let's be clear - it does not hit the table often. I payed $90 for the game (way, way between print runs), which I've played four times.
    By the prevailing standards of the industry & the community, this is not a good ratio.
    But If I had only gotten it to the table once, I would still be content with the purchase.

It the best. Ever.
    It represents a sort of Philosopher's Stone of game design.

Imagine you are playing simultaneous games of Chess and high-stakes Poker.
    Now imagine you can sacrifice Chess pieces to improve your Poker hand, or sacrifice cards from your Poker hand to gain extra moves on the Chess board.

It is just agonizing. Every card, every move. You feel it.

If you can get in on this print run, you probably should. It's only ever going to go up in price.

Sokpuppet on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Let's be clear - it does not hit the table often. I payed $90 for the game (way, way between print runs), which I've played four times.
    By the prevailing standards of the industry & the community, this is not a good ratio.
    But If I had only gotten it to the table once, I would still be content with the purchase.

It the best. Ever.

Now imagine you can sacrifice Chess pieces to improve your Poker hand, or sacrifice cards from your Poker hand to gain extra moves on the Chess board.

If you can get in on this print run, you probably should. It's only ever going to go up in price.

I think it will be the first game I try to run at my local boardgame convention.

It meets 3 times a year for 4 days at a time, and as long as you run 8 hours of games they fully comp the price of your ticket. So I figure I can do a 101 for it and run a game to eat up 4 of those hours, and maybe run like, Battletech or something.

Conventions are a great way to get your niche games to the table :)

Super excited for my copy of Sekigahara to get here.

• FryFry Registered User regular

I'm really curious, what was Whitechapel's failure mode for you?

I think most of the times I've played, it has ended anticlimactically. There have been a couple times when an inspector unexpectedly doubled back for no good reason on one of the first murders, tripping onto Jack as he tried to sneak past and allowing the inspectors to collapse on him. There have been games where Jack's hideout has been narrowed down to a couple houses on one back alley, allowing the inspectors to just camp out in a circle around it to prevent Jack from getting home on the last night when he doesn't have any tools left. And there have been other games where Jack is able to get away clean or nearly clean from some early kills due to some unfortunate choices in the inspectors' movements. Idunno, somehow it just never manages to feel good no matter who is winning.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Had to go check the rental library I'm subscribed to has all the ffg/gw games. The copy of Fury of Dracula is an older edition, but everything else good. I've been thinking about grabbing Blood Bowl Team Manager anyway, so maybe I'll just buy it rather than decide I like it enough to own a copy after it's all but disappeared.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Looking forward to GW picking some incompetent company to make future games. Because clearly cheaper is better.

Well, the *most* incompetent company they could pick would be doing them themselves, so...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

It the best. Ever.

Argh! Really? Really? I can't. I should. This isn't helping.

In other news, learned and played my first game of Eldritch Horror tonight. My friend who owns the game had never won before (approx 5 games), and we won tonight. I'm not entirely sure we got all the rules correct, but I hadn't read the rules ahead of time due to it being a last minute plan to play. Game took about 3 hours.

We fought Azathoth. My wife was the spy, I was the shaman, and my friend was the soldier.

Pretty much my wife won the game by herself. She completed 90% of the mystery goals, obtained and used most of the clues, and stopped a few bad things from happening while she did it. Meanwhile, I spent two turns in a row delayed, and failed probably 75% of the tests I rolled. It got so bad at one point about halfway through I got out my own dice I use for D&D and my dice tower to roll. Still only passed about 50% of the tests after that. Didn't help I was cursed for a few rounds so only 6's were successes. My friend spent the game fighting monsters and closing gates. Or attempting to close gates. Tried 3-4 times to close this one gate and wasn't pulling a card that would close it or would fail the card.

All in all it was decent. I convinced him to take out the "return solved mystery card" before we started. I had heard too many horror stories about it. I want to read up on the rules and hope for a shorter game next time. Also maybe a few more players. 3 seems a bit tight trying to move around the board. 4-5 seem like it would be ok without too much time between turns.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    FoD bought, sleeved, rules poured over.

I'm okay with my choice. I actually love hidden movement games. One of the games I'm happiest to own is AEG's Ninja, a version of Nuns on the Run set in the Legend of the Five Rings universe.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I can't unsee this now.

Take the basic mechanics from 40k Conquest, re-skin it into the Twilight Imperium universe, release it sometime down the road.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    You know, I can't unsee this now.

Take the basic mechanics from 40k Conquest, re-skin it into the Twilight Imperium universe, release it sometime down the road.

I think I saw someone say something very similar on Facebook or the FFG forums recently...

(wow, that was some wishy washy English there, eh Ath?)

I personally think Conquest is too brutal for TI's universe. There is no concept of diplomacy in that game, only bare knuckle brawling. Some of the mechanics may travel, but.. well.. we circle back to how L5R's going to be handled.

... Though I did notice there were "experienced" cards in Arkham Horror's preview this week, and Warhammer does "provinces..."

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Well, the *most* incompetent company they could pick would be doing them themselves, so...

Yeah I think GW is just done licensing out boardgame products because they realized they could stuff a mediocre game in with a bunch of miniatures and make it look like a bargain while still selling for a sick profit.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Maybe they'll license some RPG books. I can't imagine them bothering with that themselves.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The latest updates on Gloomhaven lay out that the game is finally in print, and us backers should be getting our copies in November. It'll be several months later than initially estimated, but it's a product being delivered so I count that as a win. If you've no idea what Gloomhaven is, it's supposed to be the Legacy game style laid over a Descent-ish dungeon crawly thingy, where the hidden Legacy bits are new character classes among other things. One of the key selling points I remember is that multiple groups can work through a box concurrently as the Campaign Book has several branching paths across the continent/planet/whatever.

The most recent update includes a link to the instructions/rule book;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ppELln5Z0reC10RFFmbHBQTGc/view

It is unbelievably component heavy, nearly all of it cards. I hope it's not a dud; my ultra-boardgame-collector buddy was at GenCon and watched a demo, said it looked pretty great.

• EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the story is with 51st State and it's various expansions vs. the Master Collection thing?

I'm not very familiar with the original, but my understanding is that some rules and mechanics have been changed, so it's not quite the same thing.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    They're actually not too expensive. I mean, you could buy a game for the cost of one plus materials, but it's less than $50 for most models.

We got one for my wife to laminate school stuff for the kids, so win-win.
    The [Board Game] thread typically makes me go out and buy board games, not office supplies. :D This thread is terrible for my wallet.

Dang, if you're a boardgamer and haven't spent at least five figures on binders, card protectors, cardstock, and fishing tackle boxes, then you're an amateur.

I've never bought or needed any of those things.

edit: WHOA WHOLE OTHER PAGE

As for Whitechapel vs Dracula, we never managed to get Whitechapel to the table since someone has to play a legendary murderous rapist and actually hunt down women. It just did not fly with my old group.

Magic Pink on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The best part of Fury of Dracula is that you get to do silly Dracula voices for 4 hours.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    WOOO!!!

My card just got charged for the next printing of Sekigahara.

It's happening!

But I have not!!!!! Ahhhh

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      WACriminal wrote: »
      JonBob wrote: »
      Fantastic new games keep coming out! For example, check out Potion Explosion.
      pic2730117.jpg

I want you to know that I saw this post while I was still in bed this morning and ordered this game without even getting dressed. I was still in such a sleep-haze that I had to check again after I got to work to be sure that I had actually ordered it, and didn't just imagine that.

This thread is dangerous, y'all.

Are any of these marbles red AND green because it looks fun but I'm color blind

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills