As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    JonBob wrote: »
    Fantastic new games keep coming out! For example, check out Potion Explosion.
    pic2730117.jpg

I want you to know that I saw this post while I was still in bed this morning and ordered this game without even getting dressed. I was still in such a sleep-haze that I had to check again after I got to work to be sure that I had actually ordered it, and didn't just imagine that.

This thread is dangerous, y'all.

Are any of these marbles red AND green because it looks fun but I'm color blind

Looks like they come in red, blue, yellow and black.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Finally managed to get my girlfriend into Imperial Settlers, after several plays of her declaring she hated it.

Turns out she was getting to that second round point where you've got a bunch of cards in hand but nowhere near enough resources to play them all, and the decision tree for how to get from that stage to the end game was giving her awful analysis paralysis and she was just playing any old shit for the sake of it. Which doesn't work very well. So we talked through some ways to prioritise at that point of the game and it clicked, and she finally started to enjoy it.

Which is great, because I was starting to feel a bit foolish for having three expansions for the damn thing when we never played it.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    pic2730117.jpg

I want you to know that I saw this post while I was still in bed this morning and ordered this game without even getting dressed. I was still in such a sleep-haze that I had to check again after I got to work to be sure that I had actually ordered it, and didn't just imagine that.

Are any of these marbles red AND green because it looks fun but I'm color blind

Looks like they come in red, blue, yellow and black.

I have played with colorblind people without big issues. The colors are pretty distinct to them, and also there is no hidden information so it is easy to ask if you're unsure.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My copy of Arboretum just arrived in the mail.

I'm on the way to a bar crawl.

Too soon? :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    The leftmost 4 marbles in the middle row are each different colors and make up the only 4 colors in the game. If you can distinguish between those 4 marbles, you're good.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

The cards are too pretty to take to a sticky bar table.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    God I love feeling so smug in Codenames, it's the best feeling.

After two simple 1-card clues and trailing the other team, I get three straight 2-card clues:

- Spider
    - Water
    Clue: Itsy-bitsy 2 (Thank god there wasn't any yellow, polkadot, or bikini)

- Maple
    - Capital
    Clue: Ottawa 2

- Princess
    - Moscow
    Clue: Anastasia 2

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    God I love feeling so smug in Codenames, it's the best feeling.

After two simple 1-card clues and trailing the other team, I get three straight 2-card clues:

- Spider
    - Water

- Maple
    - Capital
    Clue: Ottawa 2

- Princess
    - Moscow
    Clue: Anastasia 2

Codenames is awesome. I love the desperation 5-6 at the end that somehow end up working a decent amount of the time. With a good playgroup even losing can be tons of fun.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    That moment when you're moving all your board games and the bottom falls out of Mascarade and cardboard coins spill out all over your full closet and you stare down, expressionless, with "The Sound of Silence" playing in your head...

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    That moment when you're moving all your board games and the bottom falls out of Mascarade and cardboard coins spill out all over your full closet and you stare down, expressionless, with "The Sound of Silence" playing in your head...

I'm afraid the Mascarade is over.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    - Spider
    - Water

I was thinking about this exact clue in a game IRL last week, and asked the other spymaster if it would be legit since I thought it might be two words. We pulled out the phones and the highest google hits were separate words, although looking online now, it's coming up with the hyphen. Argh.

Anyway, I ended up giving the clue "itsy" and they got spider but missed whatever the other thing I was clueing was (I think "note"). It was a really rough board and my teammates not being psychic didn't help.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I also love the "blah 0" as clue, to try and eliminate both the assassin and one of the opposing team's clues when they're one (or two) away from winning it.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's Incy-Wincy you phillistines. Is this a colonialism?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I should really stay away from Kickstarter because I just backed a game called Mint Works, which sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I should really stay away from Kickstarter because I just backed a game called Mint Works, which sounds like it would be right up my alley.

I'm not sure words can describe the current intense internal struggle between my curiousity and desire to check this game out, and the rational side of my brain that knows if I do and it looks good i'll end up backing it and i already have way too many games backed and truly don't need any more for a very long time.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

what the fuck?

admanb on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    *ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

It's a pocket-sized 1-4 player worker placement game that only takes 10-20 minutes, comes in a mint tin, and costs $10 all in?

Damnitsomuch

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

what the fuck?

*googles incy wincy*

AHHHHHHHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phck__iZFGU

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    pic2730117.jpg

It helps when your tastes/that of your game group are a bit... off the average (for the thread)

There are countless games this thread raves about for pages that almost my entire group would never play (or would only play grudgingly). They have their style, that's how they enjoy it, and it is almost the polar opposite of what is universally beloved here.

Basically I'll catch up on 20 pages of "omg my wallet nooooo" and think "nnnnope, that'd just sit in the closet forever, and if anything my next apartment is likely to have even less space than this one."

Since it has been asked, my current top games are Shadows of Brimstone, Shadowrun: Crossfire, and Xia.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

It's a pocket-sized 1-4 player worker placement game that only takes 10-20 minutes, comes in a mint tin, and costs $10 all in?

Damnitsomuch

And backed. Ugh. I consider it saving money because I'm going to cancel another pledge.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    My work here is done...

Edit: Example of Mint Works gameplay from a 3rd party (that's legal, right?)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Good weekend for board games. Played a big game of Eclipse last night, 5 players, with a bunch of the expansions. I had barely played before, so I got trounced, but I made some good moves and didn't get wiped out or anything. I like that game, but you really have to be ok with dice rolls determining large chunks of what happens - which I can only get so excited about. I'm not really a dice chucker at heart. I really like the action and economy management though, I just need to get better at actually paying attention to what gives victory points.

Today warmed up with Spyfall and For Sale, then got a 4 player game of Vast, first time for all of us. I was the cave - this is a really interesting puzzle, having to keep track of each other player, and how close they are to winning, which is different for everyone. Everyone thought I was going to win for a while, but then we really thought the dragon was going to win, and then the knight won. In one turn, with the dragon being at full health. A fully charged knight at the end of the game can really wreck the dragon!

sig.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

ArcSyn wrote: »

Damnitsomuch

And backed. Ugh. I consider it saving money because I'm going to cancel another pledge.

Fuck you all. Goddamn it.

Backed. This looks like potentially another good lunchtime game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The cards are too pretty to take to a sticky bar table.

I went to a different bar that has board games but the game is too heavy and the crowd too drunk for it.

DC has a dedicated board game bar called The Board Room that I'll visit tomorrow.

Cantido on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Damnitsomuch

Son of a... A pocket-sized Waterdeep-lite?

Yeah. I'm in.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I loved Carcassone on Xbox Live and the phone app version is passable, but I can't fathom counting score in it in real-life play.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I loved Carcassone on Xbox Live and the phone app version is passable, but I can't fathom counting score in it in real-life play.

It's not any worse than any other game I can think of that counts at the end. Just keep a score tracker running during the game like anything else.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Damnitsomuch

Yeah... I've thrown $10 at nonsense with much less return value so this seemed unavoidable.

• Options
    A feel like I've finally contributed to the board game thread.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Yeah and we're all looking like your avatar shaking our fists at your posts while we confirm our backer levels...

In other news, why do I have a tab open to Ninja from AEG? I can't remember and it's been sitting there for a while. Someone mention it?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Damnitsomuch

Yeah... I've thrown $10 at nonsense with much less return value so this seemed unavoidable.

Exactly. Also this is the good kind of kickstarter. The mechanics are already all worked out, and all he has to do is produce, and it's fairly straight forward. Like he said the biggest deal will be getting the metal tins at a good price then shipping them to the card manufacturer for kitting. All the stretch goals are just more cards except for the fancier tins so that is pretty straight forward too. It is all a good setup at a fair price. It has the ingredients of success.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

Some of the more bizarre expansions can be a bit difficult. My 7 year old has no trouble keeping score with the base game.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Yeah and we're all looking like your avatar shaking our fists at your posts while we confirm our backer levels...

In other news, why do I have a tab open to Ninja from AEG? I can't remember and it's been sitting there for a while. Someone mention it?

I mentioned it in the last day or so - can't remember if it was here or SE++.

And.. yeah.. that mint works game, *sigh*

Though I feel a bit conflicted right now. My LGS isn't going to carry One Night Ultimate Alien, because he believes Beizier is too big to need Kickstarter and they are using it as a glorified preorder system. He let them know that, and said "they didn't care..." Apparently he's part of an alliance of stores that is going to stop supporting certain companies/games for non-store friendly practices.

On the other hand, I'm planning to back One Night Ultimate Alien to an absurd level for the book and the plastic tokens.. though the store owner was like "we can make those tokens for 5 bucks"... Which is true, the price does seem WAY too high.. But.. ugh.

Then AEG announced a new Thunderstone kickstarter, and I'm like.. what?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Dunno if this has been posted already, but...
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

FFG and Games Workshop are splitting.
    It's the end of days, I tells ye.

EDIT: Of course you guys knew already, what was I even thinking. Still, sad times (in part).
    On the other hand, TI3 and L5R, ahoy!

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Though I feel a bit conflicted right now. My LGS isn't going to carry One Night Ultimate Alien, because he believes Beizier is too big to need Kickstarter and they are using it as a glorified preorder system. He let them know that, and said "they didn't care..." Apparently he's part of an alliance of stores that is going to stop supporting certain companies/games for non-store friendly practices.

On the other hand, I'm planning to back One Night Ultimate Alien to an absurd level for the book and the plastic tokens.. though the store owner was like "we can make those tokens for 5 bucks"... Which is true, the price does seem WAY too high.. But.. ugh.

Woah woah woah, more Thunderstone???

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Athenor wrote: »

Woah woah woah, more Thunderstone???

https://youtu.be/q92OCWcwIHM

EDIT- I played Arboretum and Forbidden Desert at Washingcon. They are as out fucking standing as this thread says. But Panic Legacy is an expensie pill to swallow. They wont demo it because of the permanent effects.

Pandemic has an Android version that is a full game and not a companion. Does anyone know if it's good?

Cantido on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Mint Works backed! So cheap I got a triple pack, now I have two gifts.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The Pandemic app is a very good implementation. The On the Brink expansion is available as DLC.

• Options
    I'm playing Mysterium now too. I named the yellow lady Madame Mustard. That's who she is now.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    In for one on Mint...
    Nice find @MNC Dover!

Jerk....

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636