As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Comparing the MCU sound tracks to the likes of Star Wars, BttF, Indian Jones and such is a bit like me being critical that my band didn't write Stairway to Heaven of Bohemian Rhapsody or Dream On or something.

No, it's like expecting a major studio in charge of one of the largest and culturally significant movie franchises to put a bit more effort in to one particular aspect of that franchise.

Wait it's not like that, it is that.
    Criticize away, sure, but keep it in its own league.

Comparing them to the all time greats like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, BTTF, Superman etc is silly. Those are far far far away from normal and not even in the realm of what you can reasonably expect from a sound track. Its like asking why every basketball player isn't Michael Jordan.

If any one expects sound tracks to regularly be like those they are really setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm not content with maintaining continuously low expectations for all time.
    Not everything needs to be scored by John Williams. I love his scores, but he would never have given us something like Winter Soldier or Iron Man. Being okay with everything not being up to the level of the guy who's so well known he's the only movie composer who's a household name is not a low expectation.

It is considering the amount of effort and creativity Marvel puts in to the other aspects of their movies. Especially when the person I'm replying to thinks Marvel's films should he kept in a different "league" which absolutely implies lower expectations.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The incredible hulk theme is actually really good. It's a shame it never got reused.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Incredible Hulk was, as a film, a collection of great things that didn't work out well together

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    It's official: Marvel's Punisher is happening and Ben Barns is going to play someone, possibly Micro(chip).

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Other than Star Wars and the original Superman movies, I don't humm any of the theme music you guys have mentioned.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Comparing the MCU sound tracks to the likes of Star Wars, BttF, Indian Jones and such is a bit like me being critical that my band didn't write Stairway to Heaven of Bohemian Rhapsody or Dream On or something.

No, it's like expecting a major studio in charge of one of the largest and culturally significant movie franchises to put a bit more effort in to one particular aspect of that franchise.

Comparing them to the all time greats like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, BTTF, Superman etc is silly. Those are far far far away from normal and not even in the realm of what you can reasonably expect from a sound track. Its like asking why every basketball player isn't Michael Jordan.

If any one expects sound tracks to regularly be like those they are really setting themselves up for disappointment.

Not everything needs to be scored by John Williams. I love his scores, but he would never have given us something like Winter Soldier or Iron Man. Being okay with everything not being up to the level of the guy who's so well known he's the only movie composer who's a household name is not a low expectation.

FWIW, I've had basically this exact argument about the music in Ep7. Twice. And that was only after someone pointed out that there actually was new music in it, since it was so nondescript that I thought they had only reused the original trilogy songs. And that was with John Williams, who totally should score everything.

Also, I don't get the thread title.

steam_sig.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I just take this music problem as a good sign. If that's one of their biggest issues score. Better would be better, of course, but not going to ruin the movies if that's their weakness.

Spoit wrote: »

P sure it's mimicking Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

And Coulson does drive a car.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I just take this music problem as a good sign. If that's one of their biggest issues score. Better would be better, of course, but not going to ruin the movies if that's their weakness.

It does speak to their overall weakness, that they play things too safe and the movies can feel too similar as a result. We've had a few too many evil industrialists and fights over glowy tchotchke. The scores are the biggest symptom of that problem, but it's easy to see why they are the way they are; put two wildly different pieces of music in one score, it's gonna feel incongruous. Play Iron Man's "Driving With The Top Down" theme over a scene of him kickin' ass in Avengers Assemble, it's not gonna belong. Cause that's Iron Man's score, but it's not Cap's, or Thor's, or Hulk's. It's much easier to mash up visuals than audio, IMO.

Can't find the link now, but there was an article a couple weeks back talking up how great Michael Giacchino's score is for Doc Strange, for whatever that's worth. I believe the trailers both use original score rather than trailer music? They're both pretty good (and consistent with each other) but nothing revolutionary...

Oh brilliant
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That is not one of their biggest issues.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

And Coulson does fly a car.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

And Coulson does drive a car.

I was very sleepy OK

was referring to Ghost Rider driving a car now. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I only got around to watching the EFAP video yesterday evening, and as always it's very well argued. I wasn't aware of the whole temp score thing, but the examples he shows are pretty striking.

I'd also agree with Fencingsax and Dark Raven X (and anyone else who's made the point): the music is somewhat symptomatic of Marvel's weakness. I like the films (some more, some less), and Civil War was one of the movies I enjoyed most this year, but they're definitely at risk of sticking too much to a safe formula, and already within the existing films there have been cases of diminishing returns, as far as I'm concerned. I love the characters and like what they do with them, but the films could use better, more varied plots, more varied villains and threats, more varied cinematography and editing. They've got a house style, which is okay, but within that style they could definitely play around more, and IMO the MCU would benefit from this. (It's one of the reasons why I think it's such a shame that Edgar Wright didn't do Ant Man in the end.) Here's hoping they'll do some of this with Doctor Strange.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That is not one of their biggest issues.

For me it is, thankfully. I suspect that to change after phase 4, but then here's hoping!

• NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

It is considering the amount of effort and creativity Marvel puts in to the other aspects of their movies. Especially when the person I'm replying to thinks Marvel's films should he kept in a different "league" which absolutely implies lower expectations.

the MUSIC. The music is in a different league. You cant just go and write something like the theme songs to Superman or Star Wars or Indiana Jones every time. Even if you really want to.

Just like you can't write bohemian rhapsody or stairway to heaven or dont fear the reaper every time you sit down to write an album. Sometimes, as musicians, every thing goes perfect and you write a jem, but very very very few things will ever be legendary like those songs no matter how much you want them to be. They are in a different league and to expect the same is to set yourself up for failure. If it happens, great, but it probably wont.

the MUSIC. The music is in a different league. You cant just go and write something like the theme songs to Superman or Star Wars or Indiana Jones every time. Even if you really want to.

Just like you can't write bohemian rhapsody or stairway to heaven or dont fear the reaper every time you sit down to write an album. Sometimes, as musicians, every thing goes perfect and you write a jem, but very very very few things will ever be legendary like those songs no matter how much you want them to be. They are in a different league and to expect the same is to set yourself up for failure. If it happens, great, but it probably wont.

Which brings us back to: I personally am not content to maintain low standards forever.

The current music is fine. It could be better. It's not an especially controversial idea that good things could he great things.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Of that mediocre things could be good, if not great. The point is a wider one about modern movie music, not just a way of hammering Marvel movies or people who like them, and the way that temp tracks limit the possibilities for a movie's music and serve to keep the scores timid and unmemorable.

Which brings us back to: I personally am not content to maintain low standards forever.

The current music is fine. It could be better. It's not an especially controversial idea that good things could he great things.

Good things can be great things yes, but they probably wont be legendary things. No matter how good they are. That's why i'm saying the metric needs to be shifted. To be pointed, thats like asking a basketball player why he isn't Michael Jordan. Maybe he is really good, maybe even great, but no matter how hard Kobe tries he will never be Michael Jordan. Even if he is a better player in all respects, he'll still never be Michael Jordan

When you compare music to the Star Wars sound track and use that as your basis of expectation you are already setting yourself up for failure. Its an impossible metric. Williams cant even write the Star Wars theme again. Hell, if star wars never existed, and then came out next month, - with the exact same theme - it wouldn't be as culturally legendary. Somethings are perfect for the time and space they exist in, and then become a cultural phenomenon and take hold in the public conscience.
    To ask someone to hum the Star Wars theme and then compare it with MCU movies is just a silly thing to do.

I'm not saying lower expectations, I'm saying have realistic ones.

The humming thing was to prove a point ffs. He isn't saying all the Marvel movies should have music as great as the Star Wars theme. He's saying they have barely any memorable music at all, and then talks at length about why this is the case for the Marvel movies, how they use music, how they're scored and how this applies to lots of other modern movies as well.

Bogart wrote: »
    The humming thing was to prove a point ffs. He isn't saying all the Marvel movies should have music as great as the Star Wars theme. He's saying they have barely any memorable music at all, and then talks at length about why this is the case for the Marvel movies, how they use music, how they're scored and how this applies to lots of other modern movies as well.

and i'm saying its a false metric ffs.
    Especially when the rest of the EFAP talks about temp tracks and makes a better broader point with the Thor theme (regarding using music that follows the on-screen action vs emotionally thematic music).
    If i were to have made that video, i would have left Star Wars out entirely and just used the Harry Potter theme (if you insist on proving that point). Then the time periods are the same, modern cinema styles are the same and the cultural fandom is roughly the same as well.
    Personally, i would have skipped the whole hum thing and gone straight to showing clips of movies with the almost exact same music playing and gone from there.

They did a post about Zhou's video on the AV Club, and in the comments thread there was a guy who kept arguing that the MCU music is plenty memorable, and that you could walk through Chicago and hear people whistling the Captain America theme. That was the point he kept returning to: those denizens of Chicago, whistling the CA music. It was quite surreal.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Marvel needs to release something soon, posters are getting into arguments over music. Luke Cage is near, right?

Harry Dresden on
    If i were to have made that video, i would have left Star Wars out entirely and just used the Harry Potter theme (if you insist on proving that point). Then the time periods are the same, modern cinema styles are the same and the cultural fandom is roughly the same as well.

Personally, i would have skipped the whole hum thing and gone straight to showing clips of movies with the almost exact same music playing and gone from there.

Congratulations, you've made a more boring video that doesn't start with an interesting, funny demonstration of the wider point for no reason.

... posters are getting into arguments over music.
    Why shouldn't they? Music is an integral part of the whole package. (Which doesn't mean that certain arguments might not veer in a silly direction, but music isn't inherently less relevant and worthy of discussion.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Bogart wrote: »

Congratulations, you've made a more boring video that doesn't start with an interesting, funny demonstration of the wider point for no reason.

Thank you.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Everything DC does is to be criticized, but nothing Marvel does is allowed to be criticized. Unwritten rule.

Good things can be great things yes, but they probably wont be legendary things. No matter how good they are. That's why i'm saying the metric needs to be shifted. To be pointed, thats like asking a basketball player why he isn't Michael Jordan. Maybe he is really good, maybe even great, but no matter how hard Kobe tries he will never be Michael Jordan. Even if he is a better player in all respects, he'll still never be Michael Jordan

When you compare music to the Star Wars sound track and use that as your basis of expectation you are already setting yourself up for failure. Its an impossible metric. Williams cant even write the Star Wars theme again. Hell, if star wars never existed, and then came out next month, - with the exact same theme - it wouldn't be as culturally legendary. Somethings are perfect for the time and space they exist in, and then become a cultural phenomenon and take hold in the public conscience.
    To ask someone to hum the Star Wars theme and then compare it with MCU movies is just a silly thing to do.

I'm not saying lower expectations, I'm saying have realistic ones.

They've already created what's going to he viewed as a legendary franchise through hard work, money, and risk taking. It is not unrealistic to expect them to do the same with their music.

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Why skip it? It's there for a very specific reason. It didn't have to be a hum, it could be anything. The point was to show something memorable.
    Star Wars, Harry Potter, the original Superman movies, Jaws... all have at least at least one memorable theme, if not several.

Hell, even Pacific Rim has a track that sticks in my head. But the Marvel movies don't have anything I can really recall (other than licensed music like Iron Man's AC/DC tracks and GotG's soundtrack).

All the start of that video was doing was getting this point across in a catchy and easy to relate way. I do agree that they could have just kept it to Harry Potter however, as that's not only relevant, but also fairly recent.

At this point i dont know how to make my point any other way than how i've already made it. TBH.
    Yea, Marvel needs to drop something new. If this is what we're squabbling over. lol.
    I do think Dr Strange will still be "house style" when it comes out. I'm ok with that.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I think dr strange will end with a strange mordo romance guaranteed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Everything DC does is to be criticized, but nothing Marvel does is allowed to be criticized. Unwritten rule.

You're participated in MCU threads before, you know this is untrue.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    do you guys need a new doctor strange trailer or something

• KPCKPC Registered User regular

I don't think you need to resort to strawmanning.

edzepp wrote: »
    do you guys need a new doctor strange trailer or something

*scratches neck and looks around nervously*

why man...you got somthin?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    KPC wrote: »

I don't think you need to resort to strawmanning.

It's called Captain Americaing

TexiKen on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I love the music in the Dr. Strange trailers. Its not really hummable but I can instantly recall it now and I havent seen the trailer since it dropped.

Just like the Stranger Things theme isnt hummable, but instantly recognizable (and fucking awesome, if I may say so)

People are putting too much stock into being able to hum it. The last truly hummable theme song was from Game of Thrones, 6 years ago.

jungleroomx on
    Walking Dead theme is a great example of not hum-able but instantly recognize-able too.
    But good point on GoT.
    Man, that gets stuck in my head for DAYS.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Hell, even Pacific Rim has a track that sticks in my head. But the Marvel movies don't have anything I can really recall (other than licensed music like Iron Man's AC/DC tracks and GotG's soundtrack).

Pacific Rim has one of the best complete soundtracks to a film, and possibly the greatest soundtrack to an action film in the last 30 years (Fury Road is a very close second).

Marvel movies are weird. When I'm rewatching them, I know the sound cues that are coming. I can remember and predict them in the context of the film. But outside of the film? They just vanish.