As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Games and Technology
bf1797365c475fdafc0f3ea43cfe9b85_original.jpg?w=1536&h=864&fit=fill&bg=FFFFFF&v=1463743630&auto=format&q=92&s=a3fc5dff9d384e953bd971cec7d02779

Kickstarted sequel to the fantastic original.

Now with tons more shit!

Divinity.jpg

More playable races - such as the dwarf, undead and lizardperson!

Origin story for your character granting unique quests and reactions!

More classes including community picked ones!

Your choices on character creation effect how you can interact with the world and it's characters!

4 player co-op where everybody has their own goals and options!

Combo_Fire_002.jpg?format=1500w

More elements and better combat!

For Kickstarter backers, the beta is LIVE TODAY!

Medium Dave on

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Awesome! I'm downloading that now. How much content is in the beta?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I didn't know this was coming. I got the Enhanced Edition fo the first around Christmas last year and damn if it didn't turn out to be one of the best RPGs I think I've ever played.

I think it's the closest thing I've played that resembles my love for BG II.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Can't wait to start up the Lizard Man and Mr. Bones source detective agency.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    Awesome! I'm downloading that now. How much content is in the beta?

I think they said it was going to be the opening area, the prison.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I usually hold off until my kickstarted games get out of early access, but damn this is awfully tempting. Anyone playing? Got impressions?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mmmm... that new thread smell. I'll just sit here inhaling it while the game installs itself.

I played D:OS 1 EA only for like 20 min to see what it was like, then waited for the full game. But now that I've played that one several times and haven't gotten tired of it yet I'm pretty sure I can play all of the EA content without ruining my first actual playthrough in the finished version.

• Options
    First proper battle, I drop an ooze barrel next to an enemy and toss a molotov's cocktail at it on my first character's first turn. It blows up, I end my turn, enemy's first character casts an Earth spell that oozes oil into the battlefield, oil is set on fire by the fire I started, resulting explosion kills my second character before he even gets to act on the first round. Never change D:OS combat, never change. :D

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    More elements? More power to the mage gods

Has anything been said about non mage characters? I always found it a bit annoying that Mages had a billion spells to choose from as they all used int, but make a Warrior, an Archer, or a Rogue, and you were working with a very very limited move set. Especially warriors who even had a two handed/shield split within their own class.

• Options
    Early Access for everyone sometime today. KS backers just got it a day early.

One skill you can have is Corpse Eater. You eat corpses to steal their memories.

• Options
    Looks like I screwed up by creating Loethe as a warrior - you only create one character and recruit the rest if you are playing solo. Now my full team has a warrior, another warrior, a rogue and a ranger which is hardly ideal for D:OS combat. Good to know for the actual full-release playthrough, though.

One thing I'm not happy about is that they removed the ability to remove stat and skill points when you are leveling up and still not quite sure where to put them. Better save the game before leveling up or you can get stuck with useless skills if you misclick or have a brain fart.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    More elements? More power to the mage gods

Has anything been said about non mage characters? I always found it a bit annoying that Mages had a billion spells to choose from as they all used int, but make a Warrior, an Archer, or a Rogue, and you were working with a very very limited move set. Especially warriors who even had a two handed/shield split within their own class.

I didn't see what else was down the skill tree but one of the warrior starting skills was a smash attack that goes out in a line away from themselves and clears ground effects in its path.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Sounds like theres an elven racial talent now that allows you to
    eat corpses and gain their memories.

Looking forward to seeing how that synergizes with pet pal.
    Get into an argument with a rat about who gets to eat that dead guy over there.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    So I'm reading that early access has access to act 1?

I liked the mechanics of the previous divinity original sin and I really need to pick it up again, but the story at the start of the game never really hooked me and I flailed around in the world until I got bored and forgot what I was supposed to be doing.

Does the sequel set the hook better?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Largely buggy unplayable mess for me.

• Options
    I haven't had many serious problems in 4 hours, though ranger's heal sometimes not healing has been annoying. My team setup with three melees and no mage is a far bigger pain in the ass for me. Since you have no idea what companions are available in the game when you start and you only get to make one character you can get screwed like that. Just had one fight against 4 melee enemies who all blew up into large firestorms when they died, not very fun with my crew.

• Options
    my biggest bug so far was getting into the convo with three guys at fort joy when you first enter, where they are trying to bully the elf woman. I trigger combat; the elf female takes half an hour or so to figure out what she's going to do. When its my turn, i go to attack who she is attacking:

it moves, it spends my ap, it does all the animations, but the targets are not effected in ANY way.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Is the target a scrawny, blond italian with stupid hair?

• Options
    Just noticed Necromancy is now in.

Fuck yeah, baby!

• Options
    last patch seemed to fix all of my problems;

the game is really good.

• Options
    Dabbled a little this weekend.

The tag system is cool; keywords associated with your character that give you more options in conversations.

I ate a dude's leg and learned a new spell.

Combat still feels great. Like some of the new stuff they added to melee fighters, like an action where you charge forward into an enemy and it clears all spell effects on the floor like acid or oil.

I'm not gonna play too much more since I want to experience it new when it comes out but I think I'll fiddle around in town for a little this evening.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I should go back and complete the first game at some point.

• Options
    FalvesFalves Registered User regular
    I ate a dude's leg and learned a new spell.

acb.jpg

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    The story - so far - is a lot less frivolous and jokey than the first one which is a good change. I just couldn't take the first games story seriously, and just played the game for the combat (which started to grate after awhile).

Combat in this one is much improved. There's still some wonky bullshit but the additions/tweaks that have been made are great. The Physical/Magical Armor system I think is quite nice, as is the "delay" mechanic that allows you postpone a heros turn in order to set up better combos. They've also made ranks in "class skills" give more than just access to new skills and cheaper old ones, they have buffs associated to make your characters feel a bit beefier and warrant investing in class skills even if there are no new skills to learn.

I will say I do not like the fixed starting skills; I couldn't recreate my favorite character from the first game and wasn't happy about that at all. Hopefully this is just a quirk of the Alpha and will not make it into the final game.

Overall the game is insanely improved over the first, and this applies to the graphics/armor details as well (everyone isn't a human this time around, and they just aren't slapping the same armor designs on characters; they've gone the DA:I route here which is awesome). There are definitely bugs which are a bit obnoxious, but the combat and world building so far are pretty top notch. Fort Joy is HUGE and I've spent about 8 hours farting around, killing most things, and locking myself (likely) out of future quests.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    you could delay in the first one, they just hid it in the normal abilities (when you press K) - if you mouse over the skills during char creation, they tell you that customization of those are turned off for the early access.

• Options
    the story is -almost- good but they kinda drop the ball. spoilers below.
    ok, let's round up these source-users... and... let them just sorta do whatever they want? I mean, we're locking them up to turn them into mindless slave soldiers... but... let's... let them run around all willy nilly?

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Fort Joy is HUGE and I've spent about 8 hours farting around, killing most things, and locking myself (likely) out of future quests.

They've stated several times that you should be able to finish all the quests even if you kill everything. Not sure how well it works in practice but I expect there's talking to ghosts and so on.

• Options
    One of the things I remember appreciating about the small touches in the first game is that atleast some vendors don't automatically assume you're trying to steal from them and attempt to cut your face off because you picked something up.

Of course I was trying to steal from them but thats beside the point.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Well, I heard good things about D:OS, the first one, so I picked this up. Made a lizard dude, got to the first encounter and promptly blew myself up. But it was kind of fun! I restarted, blew away the bugs instead of myself, and made it to the first camp, lost track of what I was supposed to do, and somewhat accidentally murdered about a quarter of the camp. I only meant to murder one person, but apparently others took offense to that.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like that the elves are creepazoids.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Is there any form of unarmed combat in the game? I want to make a dwarf that runs around punching people's shins to death whenever I get around to buying the game.

butts
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    Any news on the campaign editor this time though?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Medium Dave on
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm so excited to realize my lifelong dream of running around as a cannibal, undead elven blood mage. 8-)

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Guys.

I am so pumped for this game.

Been trying to finish up the first, but I had no idea the game was this long. Don't think its gonna happen anymore

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Guys.

Been trying to finish up the first, but I had no idea the game was this long. Don't think its gonna happen anymore

I broke the 100 hour mark wrapping up the first game. I tend to move slowly through games like this and just take it all in, talk to everyone, but about halfway through I dispensed with all the extra lollygagging and it still took me another 50+ hours to finish. I am so extremely hyped for the second one today!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm excited for this and I've not even finished the first!
    And it'd be SUPER DUMB to buy this given that fact.
    And yet it tempts me. I love me some non-human races for playable chars. I hate playing humans in RPGs, really.

• Options
    Huh, 16 GB download even though I had the early access version already installed. I guess a lot of it is voice acting.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Guys.

I broke the 100 hour mark wrapping up the first game. I tend to move slowly through games like this and just take it all in, talk to everyone, but about halfway through I dispensed with all the extra lollygagging and it still took me another 50+ hours to finish. I am so extremely hyped for the second one today!

Yeah, I heard about the sequel a few weeks ago, and so I decided I was gonna start a new solo game (my friend and I started the game close to launch, but kinda petered out and we never found time to get back to it). I know next to nothing about whats in the sequel, but I'm definitely gonna try and finish the first game before trying the next.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Huh, 16 GB download even though I had the early access version already installed. I guess a lot of it is voice acting.

Yeah, I think on their website it says they hired around 80 voice/recorded 70k lines of dialogue - so I'm sure that has something do with it

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I'm excited for this and I've not even finished the first!
    And it'd be SUPER DUMB to buy this given that fact.
    And yet it tempts me. I love me some non-human races for playable chars. I hate playing humans in RPGs, really.

To be fair this takes place quite long after the first one and so I assume the references will be fairly vague. Personally, I've given up on finishing the first and I've picked this up, sooo....