As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Internal Conflict

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Internal Conflict

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    armatur3armatur3 San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the subtlety of the blood soaking through the shirt. I didn't catch it or the fact he spit blood in the second panel until after the punchline. lol, nice.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I feel like maybe a FPS isn't the best type of game to base a CCG on, since the popularity of any specific FPS rises and falls with the new moon. (Or something.)

Like, I'm not dogging Titanfall. I've never played it cause I'm a PS4 guy. So I don't know. But like, there's no way they're gonna be able to sustain popularity long enough to sell more than maybe a month worth of packs during the release month of the game.

As consumers, surely people realize this, right?

Is there even room in the market for another CCG? I feel like between Magic, Pokemon, and Yugioh, the physical CCG space is pretty much accounted for. And Hearthstone dominates the digital CCG space, with Pokemon CCG and Magic Planeswalkers having respectable userbases as well.

I dunno. Maybe I don't understand the market.

• Options
    SazankSazank Registered User new member
    I have a huge weakness for any and all card games. I'll give most a look even if I know I'm not going to play them.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I feel like maybe a FPS isn't the best type of game to base a CCG on, since the popularity of any specific FPS rises and falls with the new moon. (Or something.)

Like, I'm not dogging Titanfall. I've never played it cause I'm a PS4 guy. So I don't know. But like, there's no way they're gonna be able to sustain popularity long enough to sell more than maybe a month worth of packs during the release month of the game.

Is there even room in the market for another CCG? I feel like between Magic, Pokemon, and Yugioh, the physical CCG space is pretty much accounted for. And Hearthstone dominates the digital CCG space, with Pokemon CCG and Magic Planeswalkers having respectable userbases as well.

Pretty sure it is a digital CCG, of which there are a ton.(I have six at least on my PC right now.) Obviously Hearthstone is a juggernaut, and won't be challenged, but there is always room for a small fan base. Or insane people like myself, who love playing card games, though I probably won't look at this one.

• Options
    noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    Heart = Black Lotus not sure what he would have used for the rest.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    His blood is all copies of Phyrexian Oil.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I ran into a similar situation with cheesy crunch gorditas from Taco Bell. Pretty much the same results too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Giancarlo MagnoGiancarlo Magno Registered User regular
    Maybe he should go see a card-iologist? Lol... anyone?...no?... ok, I'll show myself out.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    I know that feeling, Tycho. I once tried to play both MTG and the Pokemon TCG competitively at the same time. As a 17/18 year old working part-time. Not the wisest decision, in hindsight.
    Sazank wrote: »
    I have a huge weakness for any and all card games. I'll give most a look even if I know I'm not going to play them.

Same, really. The only thing that keeps me from diving into every one I see is time constraints.

There's a substantial number of niche physical CCGs that thrive in the shadows of the big 3, and before Blizzard shelved it in August of 2013 (probably with Hearthstone development well underway), the WoW CCG proved that there was room in the American market for 4 physical CCGs, being consistently competitive with the Pokemon TCG for sales in local game stores. It did lag drastically behind You're still sort of right, though, as a lot of those niche CCGs I mentioned have origins in Asian markets. Most CCGs based on more mainstream western IPs (like FPS games and things like Harry Potter) tend to flop within the first couple of years because their target demographic is the mainstream rather than at CCG addicts.

It's a mobile phone based digital CCG, though, so it's probably going to do just fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Maybe he should go see a card-iologist? Lol... anyone?...no?... ok, I'll show myself out.

Cardiology would have been an ace title for this comic.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »

Cardiology would have been an ace title for this comic.

I see what you did there.

• Options
    Dang, I don't think anyone can trump that pun.

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Although subtle as a club, it still hit like a spade to the heart. A true diamond of a pun.

• Options
    A pun like that is worth a lot of coin.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

There's a Titanfall card game coming out?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    For a good while my passion was collecting physical CCG's that had already failed.

I still wish I had a solid collection of the oldest LotR game. And I wish I still had my Jyhad cards. And my Rage cards. And someone to play my 7th Sea, Warlord, and Battletech decks against.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Decipher Star Wars CCG, 4ever

• Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular

You got it right for the most part. Back in the day Star Wars competed with MTG fairly well. I personally like Netrunner, both the original short lived version and the current one that's doing a bit better. But MTG owns that market, much like WoW owns the MMO market, and that seems unlikely to change. Everyone else is competing for second place.

Pokemon and Yugioh, IMO, don't really count, as they are aimed a different age range. They're basically a gateway drug leading to MTG.

As others have pointed out the digital CCG field is a bit wider. Easier to get people hooked when there's little to no cash required to get started. I'm somewhat surprised that MTG never really broke into that stuff, but I guess they don't really care to.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Back in the day, I really liked Vampire. Also made by Wizards Of The Coast. It was like Commander/Conspiracy MTG long before those things existed. A multi-player based game from the ground up. It was fantastic for our college play-group, unlike the MTG rules of the time.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Back in the day, I really liked Vampire. Also made by Wizards Of The Coast. It was like Commander/Conspiracy MTG long before those things existed. A multi-player based game from the ground up. It was fantastic for our college play-group, unlike the MTG rules of the time.

You mean Jyhad, yes?

Edit: Oh, they changed its name to "Vampire: The Eternal Struggle" huh.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »

You mean <redacted>, yes?

Edit: Oh, they changed its name to "Vampire: The Eternal Struggle" huh.

That is not a word I type on the internet. But yes, that game. It did not get the popularity it deserved.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Decipher Star Wars CCG, 4ever

A good game wrapped up with the worst rarity=power card design ever.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.