As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] Thread's dead, baby; thread's dead.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Barrage isn't worth making, is it?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Not anymore, I don't think. Full Charge is better even with the longer cast time, and isn't randomly selected targets.

Plus Barrage is a very plain animation.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    New FFXII event in JP turns Basch into a weird mix of P.Cecil and Gilgamesh with his BSB.

Entry is 6 hits of AoE holy damage. Enholy to Basch.
    Attack is 4-5 hits single target, with the 5th hit only occuring if the target is weak to Holy, or has been imperiled to it.
    Defend is a 2-hit AoE which gives him Retaliate status.

The Defend command is nigh useless without using Gaia Cross/Draw Fire first, as he has no built in Sentinel without his first SB from his Golden Axe relic. The Attack command is always going to be powerful against a large number of targets, and while Imperil Holy is rare, it is available on Agrias' BSB which was introduced in Japan's first OSB fest, and makes a reappearance in TGCid Banner 1. Beatrix's BSB entry also imperils to Holy, further cementing that a party of 5 Knights is pretty much an auto-win. :P

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    knights of the record keeper forever

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Cid Raines has an SSB with Imperil Holy, and Edward's BSB also does Imperil Holy (and +50% attack I believe, works well with Onion Knight BSB as an example). RIP Paladin Cecil though, it looks like (depending on multipliers) Basch's BSB is just better, though Paladin Cecil does get White Mage 4 and Basch does not.

steam_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    eh, that's fine. pecil spent like 9 months on top of DPS mountain.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I was weak and gave the VI banner some mythril. 2/11, got lightbringer and valiant knife! This finally breaks up the bad pull streak I had going!

Even now, I'm wondering how Pecil compares to Celes. Paladin Force does damage by itself, but Celes gets 4-hit burst commands.

• LuqLuq Registered User regular
    I was also weak and dropped 50 on on the VI banner. Two of Setzer's "Cards", w/ Prismatic Flash. Couldn't be happier with my new 6*! Well maybe if I'd gotten 3. The animation for attacking with them is great!

As a kid Setzer was always my favorite. He had some serious 90's cool going on. Throws cards as a weapon? Check. Trenchcoat? Check. Cool anime hair, check. Kidnaps women... oh. Well nobody's perfect.

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
    I love Cecil, he's my favorite of the main protags in the entire franchise. But the game seems dead-set on me not having any of his relics. I haven't whaled as hard as some have, but I'm okay with knowing his BSB among the top spots is declining so I don't feel so bad for missing out. :P

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Even now, I'm wondering how Pecil compares to Celes. Paladin Force does damage by itself, but Celes gets 4-hit burst commands.

The commands aren't what makes Paladin Force so good. Mostly, it's using it a second time after EnHoly is up. Celes doesn't get any benefit to doing so.

It's hard to compare anyway since they fulfill different roles. Cecil can self-sustain and AoE. Celes has the edge in single target, especially if dealing with fire/ice-weak enemies (where the en-holy does nothing anyway), and that she buffs the party.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Yeah Celes and Paladin Cecil definitely fit different roles. I think that Cecil ends up doing more damage because he can use Lifesiphon to fuel enHoly'ed sequels to the original Paladin Force, but Celes is certainly no slouch and also does the physical and magical buff. I've been using both and it's LOLtastic.

steam_sig.png
    I've been having Pecil use Saint Cross instead of Lifesiphon after the initial burst.

I've been having Pecil use Saint Cross instead of Lifesiphon after the initial burst.

Yeah what I usually do is Lifesiphon up to 1.5 bars, then Paladin Force > Saint Cross (usually twice) > Paladin Force > Saint Cross. It helps to get through those pesky weak phases quickly. I'm not sure if it's necessary to do the second Paladin Force while burst mode is still active, but it sure is fun.

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That's the idea. You use Lifesiphon to build meter, Burst, Saint Cross x4, Burst, then have two uses of Saint Cross left over if the enemy isn't a smoking husk already.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I have 4 uses of saint cross.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Then laugh at them because the enemy is probably dead.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    +30% party ATK/MAG adds up to quite a lot of damage over its duration, especially if you're under the softcaps (+60% physical and +54% magical damage), but it isn't as obviously bursty as Paladin Force.

They're both really good is what I'm saying.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm going through my backlog of dungeons. And there is a disturbingly large stretch of bosses that null or absorb holy. Most of them from the V realm. But then it jumps to X... which is Yunalesca, who's also a no go for holy. Then back to V for more "no holy" bosses.

It's really quite annoying. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Could be worse. There were two Dungeon Updates in a row that had like, 2-3 bosses that were ranged-only. Running everything with your physical A Team only to have to change direction and suddenly throw mages or gunners in there was annoying.

Hrm now I'm wondering if Celes with her BSB and two pieces of +Holy gear would fit into a mage party as the token physical character. Probably best to just use her as a RW for a mage party I guess. Though it could be fun times to bring a party of Ramza (Shout), Pecil (BSB), Celes (BSB), Kuja (enDark SB) and Relm (Portrait) and using RW Wall (or even forego bringing wall entirely I guess). Kuja with two +30% MAG buffs and the Dark aura should hit the damage cap even against the silly resistance levels of a U+ boss, I would hope.

steam_sig.png
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

The commands aren't what makes Paladin Force so good. Mostly, it's using it a second time after EnHoly is up. Celes doesn't get any benefit to doing so.

It's hard to compare anyway since they fulfill different roles. Cecil can self-sustain and AoE. Celes has the edge in single target, especially if dealing with fire/ice-weak enemies (where the en-holy does nothing anyway), and that she buffs the party.

She can't lifesiphon either so it's not like you'd be spamming her BSB if it did damage anyway. They are different
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Hrm now I'm wondering if Celes with her BSB and two pieces of +Holy gear would fit into a mage party as the token physical character. Probably best to just use her as a RW for a mage party I guess. Though it could be fun times to bring a party of Ramza (Shout), Pecil (BSB), Celes (BSB), Kuja (enDark SB) and Relm (Portrait) and using RW Wall (or even forego bringing wall entirely I guess). Kuja with two +30% MAG buffs and the Dark aura should hit the damage cap even against the silly resistance levels of a U+ boss, I would hope.

Yep Celes and her BSB give you more freedom to make whatever the hell party you want. That's why I wanted it anyway. I think two pieces of holy gear on her is overkill. Enholy, 1 +holy gear piece, her BSB buff, and standard burst mode buff? You should cap saint cross easy.

Only time you wouldn't want to bring her is maybe a fight with no elemental or holy vulnerabilities.

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
    edited September 2016
    Oh damn. I forgot about her lack of Lifesiphon. How does one kit out Celes, then? Dr Mog's or Ace Striker, maybe? And then I don't know what abilities she'd carry.

Just looked at the profile info for Celes's opera costume. Really, RK? She "jumped at the chance to bask in the limelight"? That's your takeaway from that scene?

Enlong on
    Luq wrote: »

She can't lifesiphon either so it's not like you'd be spamming her BSB if it did damage anyway. They are different

Yep Celes and her BSB give you more freedom to make whatever the hell party you want. That's why I wanted it anyway. I think two pieces of holy gear on her is overkill. Enholy, 1 +holy gear piece, her BSB buff, and standard burst mode buff? You should cap saint cross easy.

Only time you wouldn't want to bring her is maybe a fight with no elemental or holy vulnerabilities.

Yeah certainly capping Saint Cross wouldn't be difficult, I was wondering if her burst command would hit for more than 20k without any other attack buffs though. 3.4x/2 isn't hard to cap, 2.16x/4 might be more difficult to get over 20k damage though. And I figure I might as well use two pieces of +Holy gear, since I have Platinum Shield, IVcalibur, Vcalibur (x2), VIbringer and IXcalibur. So in IV, V, VI and IX I can bring a synergy weapon that has +Holy as well as Basch's shield, though probably in a realm like VII or X where I have good swords but none with +Holy I would be better served using the synergy weapon.

steam_sig.png
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

If you have a mage sword, Celes has BLM 4 and can throw out -ja spells.

Oh damn. I forgot about her lack of Lifesiphon. How does one kit out Celes, then? Dr Mog's or Ace Striker, maybe? And then I don't know what abilities she'd carry.

Just looked at the profile info for Celes's opera costume. Really, RK? She "jumped at the chance to bask in the limelight"? That's your takeaway from that scene?

If you're bringing her to be a spellblade, she'll do fine just hitting the weakness. That gives extra meter. If you're bringing her for her buff, you'll usually have Dr. Mog/Mako Might on her to get it up ASAP.

ztrEPtD.gif
    edited September 2016
    Celes can hit every elemental weakness except Dark and (for now) Earth, so give her Mako Might and an appropriate ability to hit a weakness. If the boss has no weaknesses, just do Saint Cross and Drain Strike or Banishing Strike. If you're willing to wait on her buff until partway through the fight, give her +30% spellblade damage RM and your favorite/best spellblade abilities, since her commands are in the spellblade school. This is a good argument for making the 6* spellblade and the later chain spellblades.

-edit- OK technically Celes can use Quake to hit an Earth weakness and Drainga to hit Dark weakness, but it seems pretty sub-optimal.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I almost always go with Elemental/Drain on her. And if i specifically need to use my Indom Blade I will give her Dr. Mogs. Otherwise she'll usually get Pride of the Redwings or whatever the skill is called that gives significant spellblade ability damage.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I always wondered

I mean, the FFRK people can't be bothered to even know what's going on in their own game judging by their twitter. I think its asking an awful lot to have them know what is going on in another game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I mean, to be fair, spritework can make character emotions kinda ambiguous. I suppose one could read Celes's reactions as attempting to preserve her untouchable General demeanor in the face of an infiltration plan that reads like a farce, in spite of being interested in taking the stage.

But that's not exactly how I read it when I played the game.

edited September 2016
    If I'm using her and hitting a weakness, she's capping damage far more often than not, so any kind of damage boost like that is wasted. It'd help with Drain Blade and her SSB, but I'd rather get the occasional double procs or more often SSBs. I guess maybe if you're relying on the BSB's commands, but for the day to day regular abilities...

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Yeah. I'd say that Ardent Blade and Frigid Blade would benefit more from Dualcast Spellblade RM.

Man, I wish the attacks could've been called Blade of Darkness and Blade of Starlight.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I have trouble finding people with SBs, so since I don't really use sphere levels and I noticed that you can sort by it, I gave everyone with a non default SB one or more sphere levels. Now I can sort by people with SBs. Mostly.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've only used Record Sphere on two characters so far -- Kain and Yuffie.

I'm holding a TON of Spirit Motes and Wisdom motes at this point, and I really don't know who to spend them on, so I'm just holding them.

I'd like to do Y'shtola, but she of course doesn't have a Record Dive yet. Neither does Yuna.

I want to get my spheres to Greg for Dragoon 5. And maaaaaybe Galuf, for Equip Swoeds.

edited September 2016

I was curious about this and checked the original Japanese script.

Japanese
    セリス そ、そんな! 私は元帝国将軍よ。そんなチャラチャラしたことできるわけがないでしょ!
    --Celes runs into dressing room--
    セリス あー あー ラララー らー あ うん マ ァ リィ アーー

Woolsey's script:
    Celes: H-hold on here! I'm a former general, not some opera floozy!
    Mi... Mi... Do, re, mi... Faaa...*hack* *cough*... Maaa...riii...aaaaaa!

Woolsey's script definitely embellishes/makes up Celes coughing/hacking there. There's room for interpretation on her reaction too. そんな is kind of a catch all "No way!" or "Don't be silly!" phrase with a billion possible translations in various contexts. The key word/phrase is チャラチャラ (charachara), which is an onomatopoeia for jingling, like attracting attention or being glamorous. It CAN mean flirty, but it's not inherently derogatory, and her running in to immediately begin practicing does seem to me to indicate that she's not really against it. Personally, I'd probably have given a base/literal translation of something like:
    "N-No way! I was an Imperial general. I couldn't possibly act that glamorous!"
    "Aah... Aah... Lalalaa... Laa... Ah, okay. Maariiiaa..."

The glamorous line desperately needs some localization help though, so I can definitely see how it got shifted a little bit in editing... or general Woolsey changes. If it was up to me, I'd have shifted the whole sentence structure around and applied more of the often implicit in Japanese context. "D-Don't be ridiculous! I can't fake elegance! I used to be a general!"

TRANSLATION, BITCHES.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Are there any existing/upcoming relics that give a knight a decent AoE heal? With the amount of mitigation I can currently stack, I only need a dedicated healer for one or two moments of a fight.

Narbus on
    Narbus wrote: »
    Is there any existing/upcoming relics that give a knight a decent AoE heal? With the amount of mitigation I can currently stack, I only need a dedicated healer for one or two moments of a fight.

Ramza's Grand Armor~.

He's technically some level of knight.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Is there any existing/upcoming relics that give a knight a decent AoE heal? With the amount of mitigation I can currently stack, I only need a dedicated healer for one or two moments of a fight.

Ramza's Grand Armor~.

He's technically some level of knight.

Yeah, but he's there for Shout/Breakdowns, and then I usually just RW a Wall.

This discussion has been closed.