As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW noob advice

124»

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tav wrote: »
    Copper ore. 1-2g a stack, I can get a lot of it just pissing around the lowbie areas for an hour or two. Easy money at low levels.

Rule of thumb: NEVER sell bars of a mineral unless it's Bronze or was found in a treasure chest. Ore goes for much more because it can be prospected by Jewelcrafters.

Likewise, only leave Ore up in stacks of 5. Sure, it'll annoy a jewelcrafter who has a stack of 3, but in the long run it'll make more money.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Should I bother with the battlearena?

So far i'm level 21 and for the most part have been alone for almost all my quests except for occasional help and me helping people who're lower levels than me on quests i've already done.

Here's the thing, for pvp i've already figured out that the hunter class isn't fantastic. I got my arse handed to me a couple of times and as I was about to win one the guy losing did a runner.

Here's the thing, i've seen some items that you can only get/buy after competing in the battlearena. Would I stand to lose/gain anything from not bothering with the battlearena?

Frankly, when it comes to people in WoW i'd rather coop on dungeons and quests than pvp.

Oh and i'm in a guild of sorts. This is me.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Should I bother with the battlearena?

So far i'm level 21 and for the most part have been alone for almost all my quests except for occasional help and me helping people who're lower levels than me on quests i've already done.

Here's the thing, for pvp i've already figured out that the hunter class isn't fantastic. I got my arse handed to me a couple of times and as I was about to win one the guy losing did a runner.

Here's the thing, i've seen some items that you can only get/buy after competing in the battlearena. Would I stand to lose/gain anything from not bothering with the battlearena?

Frankly, when it comes to people in WoW i'd rather coop on dungeons and quests than pvp.

Oh and i'm in a guild of sorts. This is me.
    It's best to enter at the top of each bracket, so X8 or X9, hunters are brilliant in 20-29 once you've learnt how to kite other players. The only problem with the low level BG's (10-29) is that there's alot of 'twink' character in them (these are characters with the best possible items and enchants for their level and are stupidly strong compared to a normal player), so I usually avoid BG's on my characters till around level 38.

The items you get through BG's are some of the best at that level, however they're in no way a neccessity in order to level up your character quickly, infact stopping at X9 each time to upgrade your PVP items would take significantly longer than levelling your character without them, especially on a hunter. It's still fun to do though (I tend to stop each character at 39, 49, 59 while levelling just to PVP for a while before moving on).

815165 on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You should only PvP in WoW if you like it. In the grand scheme of things, only PvP at level 70 pays of in a way to advance your character faster then if you focus only on PvE content. Below 70, there are only a few things interesting to PvP for, most notably doing the Alterac Valley quest at level 51 for a very good weapon.

Short info on PvP: There are 3 types of "currency" associated with it in WoW: Honor, Battleground Tokens and Arena Points. Arena points come from Arena (level 70 only 2v2, 3v3, 5v5) and can be spend on very good gear. Honor comes from killing opponents and making battleground objectives, and can be spent at Ogrimmar for items of varying quality. Battleground tokens are only from finishing a battleground (3 for a win, 1 for a loss). These are the least important, required for certain items. Honor gained/kill is higher at high levels.

A new player will not excel in WoW low level PvP, due to a process called "twinking". This is using resources from your high level character to outfit a character purely for a certain PvP bracket (Mostly level 19 [10-19] or 29 [20-29]) very much above what a normal character will have. This involves getting very expensive, endgame enchants, buying BoE blues.

Here's a lvl 19 rogue twink: Twink the Twink Notice how much AP and HP he has, compared to your hunter.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, there are two things you could be referring to, there:

1) Battlegrounds. Warsong Gulch (brackets: levels 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70), Arathi Basin (levels 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70), Alterac Valley (levels 51-60, 61-70), and Eye of the Storm (61-69, 70). Before level 51 or so, you'll only be able to run WSG or AB, and each battleground has its own faction, with which you can spend earned honor points and/or marks earned per battleground to get gear specific to that faction's quartermaster. You can also spend honor points to get generic PvP gear from the officer's barracks in Orgrimmar or Stormwind, but pretty much all of that gear requires level 60 at least. WSG and AB have their own set of gear for each leveling-up bracket.

2) Arenas. These involve forming arena teams, getting a ranking, playing matches against other teams, and earning arena points, separate from the original PvP honor points system. The gear from arenas is currently the best PvP gear in the game, but you need a skilled team to earn points quickly, and you can't get a points-earning arena team until level 70 (it will still allow you to play practice matches below level 70).

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nothing wrong as a new player with getting your feet wet in some WSG and AB, or even doing some arena scrimmage (if you can find teammates.) But to be successful, you want to be in the top end of the level bracket (so, 26-29, 36-39, etc.) More skills, more HP, and so on.

As far as loot goes, it isn't super relevant at this point. You might get a piece or two of battleground loot without much trouble, but like most loot before level 60 or so, you'll replace it with something else pretty soon just be leveling up.

Summary: if you enjoy pvp, sure, go ahead. If not, you're not missing anything gearwise at this point.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think i'll hold off on arena/pvp stuff for a while then.

Another thing has cropped up, so I finally got myself the ability to create medium armour kits. I made 10 of them stacked and have put them up on the auction house, the pricing is around the 2-3g point. However, I got to thinking people probably don't want to buy them in stacks of 10. Probably 1-3 at a time, is it possible with stacks of an item to split them up?

So for example, say i've made 10 medium armour kits, they're stacked in a single slot in my backpack as 10 but I only want to put 3 on the auction house. How could I split them up?

EDIT: Never mind, googled it and figured it out. Shift click.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think i'll hold off on arena/pvp stuff for a while then.

Another thing has cropped up, so I finally got myself the ability to create medium armour kits. I made 10 of them stacked and have put them up on the auction house, the pricing is around the 2-3g point. However, I got to thinking people probably don't want to buy them in stacks of 10. Probably 1-3 at a time, is it possible with stacks of an item to split them up?

So for example, say i've made 10 medium armour kits, they're stacked in a single slot in my backpack as 10 but I only want to put 3 on the auction house. How could I split them up?

EDIT: Never mind, googled it and figured it out. Shift click.

Also.
    If you are running auctioneer (addon), when you go to the auction house to put them up, there is an option to split the stacks up while you post them.. So say you had 30 armor kits (3 stacks of 10).. and you wanted to make 10 stacks of 3 each on the AH for say 1 g. You set the stack size, the quantity, and then the amount, and click post auctions.. and it splits them all up for you. Very handy and time saving.
    Nice that you can keep everything in full stacks and not have to worry about splitting them yourself.

mfc144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mfc144 wrote: »
    *snip*

Also.
    If you are running auctioneer (addon), when you go to the auction house to put them up, there is an option to split the stacks up while you post them.. So say you had 30 armor kits (3 stacks of 10).. and you wanted to make 10 stacks of 3 each on the AH for say 1 g. You set the stack size, the quantity, and then the amount, and click post auctions.. and it splits them all up for you. Very handy and time saving.
    Nice that you can keep everything in full stacks and not have to worry about splitting them yourself.

Yep, got auctioneer. Not really played with it extensively yet, just added stuff like tomtom, auctioneer and lightheaded so far.

Been looking for an addon that allows me to move/drag the windows around rather than being locked in place, I found one yesterday but it doesn't work in 2.2.x if memory serves correctly.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So, mounts time!

This is me. As you lot can see i'm level 39, I expect to hit 40 tonight as i've got a bunch of quests just ready to do for quick levelling.

Time taken for levels 1 to 40: A month and a few days. - I've probably put a bit too much time in.
    Money: I currently have around 325 gold, I am now making 10 - 40 gold per day depending on my obsessiveness. (for example yesterday I went from 288 gold to 325'ish)

Now, i've been told for the first mount is something like 90 gold. No biggie, I can afford that. Is there anything specific I should know?

So, I know that as a Tauren i'm limited to certain mounts and that I have to be exalted with other factions if I want to get their mounts.

I was also planning to do a splurge on new stuff when I hit 40 too, maybe new weapons, armour etc.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At level 35-58, i'd invest on a few good pieces of gear and enchant them, not buy new gear every few levels. The TBC enchants are a lot, lot better then anything from a gear upgrade.

For a hunter:

~10g = 24AP on bracers, 26AP on gloves, 12stam on boots
    ~30g = 12agi on cloak, 150mana on chest
    ~60g = 12agi on boots
    ~120g = 85AP on 2h weapon (Savagery)

When you find a nice blue (instance, outside) enchant it if you feel comfortable spending the money, and the enchanted piece will last you till outlands vs any unenchanted piece, guaranteed. In outlands, gear will upgrade so fast from quests and gets better so fast, especially up to level 64, that you just keep on switching.

Note that at level 60 you want to be able to afford an epic mount (~600g now i believe?).

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would second the epic mount thing, didnt get mine until 62 and oh what a joy it was !

Epic riding skill = 540g
    Mount = 90g (or you can get 30 wsg / ab / av tokens and get one for freeeee! - which i did)

Afty on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Afty wrote: »
    I would second the epic mount thing, didnt get mine until 62 and oh what a joy it was !

Epic riding skill = 540g
    Mount = 90g (or you can get 30 wsg / ab / av tokens and get one for freeeee! - which i did)

Or you can say "Fuck WSG!" and earn 50 AV marks.

Seg on
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    :O

I ... I .... /cry

Afty on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »
    At level 35-58, i'd invest on a few good pieces of gear and enchant them, not buy new gear every few levels. The TBC enchants are a lot, lot better then anything from a gear upgrade.

For a hunter:

~10g = 24AP on bracers, 26AP on gloves, 12stam on boots
    ~30g = 12agi on cloak, 150mana on chest
    ~60g = 12agi on boots
    ~120g = 85AP on 2h weapon (Savagery)

When you find a nice blue (instance, outside) enchant it if you feel comfortable spending the money, and the enchanted piece will last you till outlands vs any unenchanted piece, guaranteed. In outlands, gear will upgrade so fast from quests and gets better so fast, especially up to level 64, that you just keep on switching.

Note that at level 60 you want to be able to afford an epic mount (~600g now i believe?).

Savagery is only 70 AP, but this man speaks the truth. Since the pre-60 enchants are fairly lackluster (Some are nice), getting anything your level won't be that useful. However, I had some fairly terrible weapons by BC standards until around 65 because of their enchants (Bone Slicing Hatchets for those who remember UD Strath)

You have a lot of gold for your level too, so whatever you're doing to make it, keep it up.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So yeah, I got myself a brown kodo mount and bought some new weapons and various little stuff. I ended up spending around 150-180 gold. (I didn't keep count)

So, this is something I never bothered learning until yesterday. Teaching your pet skills from other tamed pets.

I tamed Bhag'thera as a test and noticed he had "Dash rank 2". Bob formerly known as Echeyakee has been trained up by skills I bought from the pet trainer but doesn't have anything like bite, dash etc.

As per petopia I went around killing bears etc in Feralas for a while with Bhag'thera making sure to use Dash as often as possible, however I never seemed to learn the skill. Is it required that before I can learn a rank 2 skill (in this case dash rank 2) I have to learn the rank 1 skill?

Also, is it possible to learn a skill from using your pet on low levels non-xp monsters?

For example, say I go and kill wolves or something near thunder bluff. I won't get any xp from it but will I still learn the skill from the pet in order to train it to other pets?

Or is it required that in order to learn a skill I must be gaining xp?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    no, the pet just has to use the skill. sometimes it takes awhile.

Some people think that it helps if you're in melee with your pet, or if your pet is fully happy, but its really hard to say.

Just keep trying and make sure your pet uses the skill you want to learn as often as possible.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, that's an odd problem.

When you learn a new skill from your pet, you do not need the pre-requisites, and in all honesty, it took me a whole 3 seconds to learn a skill (At most it takes 2 mobs to learn it).

Then again, I've usually outlevelled the pets. The only thing I could think of, would be if there's a minimum level on Dash Rank 2 that you don't satisfy, or that the pet you got it from is bugged (Since it is a rare spawn).

However, the level of the spell is 40, and you have a mount, so that's not it.

Try taming another pet that has the skill (http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=5286 Long Tooth runners from Feralas).

I'd post in the hunter thread too, incase a hunter who had that problem but doesn't read this thread sees it :P

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    There aren't any level requirements for learning skills. If you can tame a beast and it has the skill, you can learn it.

Level requirements to teach the skill to your pet, on the other hand, yes.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    There aren't any level requirements for learning skills. If you can tame a beast and it has the skill, you can learn it.

There are level requirements on skill. Growl for example. Most of them are hidden since the pets you learn them from are a higher level then the requirement.

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So....how do you make so much money at that level. I found the scarlet chest, and I'm gonna sell it to a twink to finance my mount. I won't have near that amount, however.

Toothy on
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Toothy wrote: »
    So....how do you make so much money at that level. I found the scarlet chest, and I'm gonna sell it to a twink to finance my mount. I won't have near that amount, however.
    There's the tried and true If It Can Go In The Bag It Goes In The Bag approach. No trogg toenail or zhevra nosehair is left behind! The "take two gathering professions" advice is good as well (unless you're gonna be a tailor and pay too much for that cloth later).

That aside, like folks were kvetching about in the Love/Hate thread, cloth - especially mageweave and wool, or lower level ore fetches a pretty decent price. Any blue or decent green whose required level ends in 9 is usually a sucker magnet as well.

It's so much easier to make money these days. All of my alts have had significantly more cash than my main had leveling up.

wrong_button on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

There are level requirements on skill. Growl for example. Most of them are hidden since the pets you learn them from are a higher level then the requirement.

those are bought.

I'll say again, if you can tame the pet, and it has the skill, you can learn it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Toothy wrote: »

Before I went spending crazy I had 350 gold. (currently got around 185 gold)

It was from selling almost everything I didn't use at the auction house and making armour kits (in stacks of 2), i'd vary the price depending on the competition.. I think the most expensive I sold medium armour kits was for about 1 gold 50 silver (for a stack of 2). However when there is competition around it drops down to the 25-75 silver point.

Clam meat, spider meat etc sells really nicely. After I found the right places to get them I simply hung round an area killing baddies that dropped them and made money very quickly. For a stack of 10 clam/spider meat I sell for 1 gold 50 silver with a buyout of 2 gold. Normally people simply buyout.

Depending on how much meat I collect (on my mood if I feel like collecting some) then i'll make between 10 to 40 gold per day.

Also, remember.. there are no competition commisions around. If there is competition selling at a significantly reduced price then you can simply use buyout and then resell at your nice inflated price... :)

It's capitalism at its evillest. :)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A murloc hunting I shall go~:whistle:

Toothy on
  • Options
    boselecta1980boselecta1980 Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Aye its all about the Grind :|

boselecta1980 on
    It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

www.igs.com
  • Options
    sYnistersYnister Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i rolled a draenei shaman the other day and only have experience playing with hunters and rogues. i got him to 15 but still have trouble playing with him. as of right now i only have points in ancestral knowledge and play by setting down a stoneskin totem, flametonguing my weapon, putting on a lightning shield and then pulling with lightning bolt and going into melee while shoving an earth shock in there every once in a while. even with that, the mobs 2 lvls higher being me down to like half health before they go down. what am i doing wrong?

on that note, what buid is good for lvling? i want this shammy to be very helpful in groups by dropping totems and doing some decent damage. and what stats aer good for these shammies? im rocking some +int and +stam gear. seem right?

sYnister on
  • Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sYnister wrote: »
    i rolled a draenei shaman the other day and only have experience playing with hunters and rogues. i got him to 15 but still have trouble playing with him. as of right now i only have points in ancestral knowledge and play by setting down a stoneskin totem, flametonguing my weapon, putting on a lightning shield and then pulling with lightning bolt and going into melee while shoving an earth shock in there every once in a while. even with that, the mobs 2 lvls higher being me down to like half health before they go down. what am i doing wrong?

on that note, what buid is good for lvling? i want this shammy to be very helpful in groups by dropping totems and doing some decent damage. and what stats aer good for these shammies? im rocking some +int and +stam gear. seem right?

Don't remember much about shaman low level grinding but a mob 2 lvls higher could bring you low on hp.
    Lightning Shield, I don't use it that much myself (lvl 46 on my shaman) since it's pretty mana intensive. Also once you get it, Flame Shock is more mana efficient damage.

The stats you need depend entirely on the way you want to spec yourself. If you go ranged nuking (elemental) then +int, +spell damage, +sta is the way to go. For melee you need +str/ap, +crit/agi, +sta.

It's all down to how you like to play, if you're not sure which style you like better then experiment. Later on you get a lot more tools in the form of totems and weapon enchants (Windfury) that will help you.

About the spec, I can't say much about elemental since I'm not familiar with it but if you like melee and stick with that go

5/5 Ancestral Knowledge

5/5 Thundering Strikes

1/1 Shamanistic Focus

2/2 Enhancing Totems

2/2 Improved Ghost Wolf (Improved Lightning Shield, if you fancy it, might be a better choice)

5/5 Flurry

That there is a pretty standard Enhancement build for lvl 29.

mirarant on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Low-level shaman is all about mana conservation. (Might've changed with 2.3) But get yourself a two-hander, throw some lightning bolts at 'em, and a fire shock. The rest of your mana is for healing. Totems are a waste of mana for the low levels. I hardly ever use them when grinding.

Just use the fact that you're half caster half melee to your advantage. Once you hit 20+ you start having talents that will allow you to prefer one type over the other. If you keep dying or getting too low on health, remember you can equip a shield.

Toothy on
  • Options
    sYnistersYnister Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    wow this is gonna seem stupid but i never thought to look if i could use shields D:
    so im guessing since i want to go enhance i should equip some hunter-like leathers (+agi for crit) and some +str? should i get some +stam for health too or will me healing take care of me enough?

and maybe for mobs does this look right?

make sure flametongue is on
    no totem or lightning shield (or use stoneclaw if there is more than one to offtank other mob)
    pull with a lightning or two, flame shock when theyre close
    wail away at them with mace and use mana only to heal? (until i get some good melee spells)

sYnister on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, the fact is for shaman, you don't really get good melee spells per se. You get a variety of totems that can help alot if you have a big pull or need to combat certain kinds of monsters. The only real melee attack you ever get is Stormstrike, but between that, shocks, and duel-wielding you don't really need to do too much more to a target. Windfury will take care of the rest.

Now...I still use totems from time to time. I use stoneskin on berserking mobs for example. I use grounding alot for spellcasters. Totems become alot easier to use at level 30 because you get totemic recall. You won't have to worry about them pulling aggro.

One thing I can definately say is take advantage of your racial HoT. It's way better than a straight heal for grinding. You can spend it early in a fight, when you haven't taken a whole lot of damage yet. As they wail on you, it'll keep on going.

Just wait until you get into an instance, though. You'll blow the competition out of the water for DPS for most of the first half of the game. If you plan on staying enhance, make sure you grab a Bonebiter from the Scarlet Monastery quest. It'll be your best friend.

Toothy on