As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's get ready to [Hearthstone]! Tournament Details in OP

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Welcome to the Penny Arcade Forum Variable Tournament!

Our (un)official Penny Arcade Forum will focus on adding some variety to the normally stagnant HS tournament scene. But not only that, there will be prizes!*

Each round of the tournament will feature a different rule set in order to spice up the variety and fun! Each round's restrictions will be stated below except for the final which will be revealed before the game begins to truly test our finalist's deck-building skills!

GENERAL INFO
    • Tournament will take place on Saturday, the 24th at 11:00 am (PST)
    • This will be a 3-round tournament featuring 8 players
    • Decks must be built and submitted before the tournament to me
    • Each round is win with 3 different decks to proceed
    • There are a lot of games so players are encouraged not to play too slowly
    • Players must have Paypal accounts to claim 2nd/3rd place prizes
    • Screenshots are encouraged as well as spectating
    • You might be streamed if someone is up for it
    • Top 4 players will need to communicate so please be chat ready
    • First 8 people are in, all others are alternates
    • If you want to stream or commentate, let me know

ROUNDS
    1st round: Ladies Night! Make 3 decks from different classes containing only cards that feature females. Win with all 3 decks to move on!

If you're unsure if a character featured is female, do a quick Google search (example: Alexstraza is female). Mechs, giants, and beasts are all considered neutral and therefore unplayable. The lone exception is Misha who is confirmed female, allowing both Animal Companion and Call of the Wild playable. This is Wild format and any debatable cards will be settled by me. Please note: Read the alt text for hints...especially Master of Disguise.

2nd round: Arena Constructed! Go to Hearthhead Arena and choose one of the 3 classes offered. Draft a deck as usual. After you finish, you'll make two extra decks out of the remaining cards you didn't select. Win with all 3 decks to move on!

This obviously can't be perfect given the restrictions of Constructed rules (2 cards max per type), so try and draft accordingly. Like, if you're offered a 3rd Fireball, don't select it for your first deck. In the rare case you're offered 7 Fireballs, well one will become a Forgotten Torch or something equivalent. Your first deck will be set in stone, but your follow-up decks can have lots of synergy! Draft smart and make sure not to select all the good cards!

If you're given card choices that you don't have, let me know and we'll find an equivalent card. Also, the site is a little buggy, so don't draft too fast. Sometimes cards don't have images, but are still selectable. If this occurs, get a screenshot and choose a card. The other cards will show up in the final tally and I'll allow for substitutions with proper documentation. I highly suggest doing a practice round to get used to the site before going all-in.

Finally, make sure and screenshot your final card choices in case you forget a card or whatever. Make sure you complete this well ahead of time so it won't slow the tournament down. This will be on an honor system, so no rerolling classes or reloading card choices please. All questions, card alternates, and so on will be settled by me.

FINALS Surprise round! Our two finalists won't know the rules until they begin play. Each will have 10-minutes to create a deck based on mystery restrictions. Should be silly fun! 3rd/4th place will also be playing in this hidden format.

PRIZES
    • First Place! A $20 Blizzard gift card generously provided by our own @Roz! Buy 15 card packs of your choice! Perhaps get those two alt art heroes! Buy an Adventure! It's your credit, do with it as you please!
    • Second Place! I'll buy you an alt art Hero! Choose between Magni, Alleria, or Medivh! Already have 'em all? Well, put that $10 towards cards or whatever.
    • Third Place! I'll buy your Welcome Bundle! That's right, 10 free packs + a guaranteed class legend! A $5 value on me!

Winners will be expected to take pictures of their rewards and post 'em on the forums!

*Prize notes: First prize will be a $20 gift card code that I will PM to you. In order to claim your 2nd or 3rd place prize, you MUST have a Paypal account and be willing to share your email address via PM with me. Please keep this in mind if you enter the tournament. If you win, you can always forfeit your prize to someone else with a Paypal account if you choose. While you are receiving money, I do fully expect you to spend it on your actual reward so please post screenshots of your winnings!

PLAYERS:
    Kime
    Yilias
    KoopahTroopah
    MMMig

OK! 4 MORE BRAVE SOULS REQUIRED!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I don't really understand the rules of the second bit.

steam_sig.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So I checked my calendar and I forgot that I had some plans for next Saturday. Bummed since I did want to try my hand at playing in the PA tournament. Hopefully there will be some fun decks posted after the tournament.

I forgot to @MNC Dover you when I posted this. Think I'll still come up with some deck ideas and theorycraft how well they would have worked.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    @ronzo I lied it's not edited into that post
    DogReno.png

Is...is that a good deck? Traditionally Reno Mages have not been the best. Looks like it would be a blast to play though.

I'm like 5-0 with it at rank 14 ish for whatever that's worth

I'm able to play very slowly and still win which is my favorite thing ever

just got reno freezing-trapped. yessss. I had an alex in hand so I think I was gonna win anyway but that sealed it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    My starter bundle haul:

Jaraxxus (dupe, free legendary)
    Al'Akir (dupe)
    Golden Demolisher
    Golden Shadowstep
    Force of Nature
    Patient Assassin

In total about 1400 dust. Not bad for $5.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    edited September 2016
    I don't really understand the rules of the second bit.

Here's a quickish breakdown:
    • Go to this website to do a mock Arena draft
    • Draft your cards like normal
    • After you finish, you'll create the deck you just drafted as a Constructed deck
    • Then, you'll create two extra decks out of the cards you didn't select (which are all conveniently at the bottom of the completed draft)

For example, here's the results of a draft I did for Mage:

4r43d7nwn1kh.png

As I was drafting, I started to see some synergies and altered my drafting style a bit. For instance, several Freeze spells showed up (Shatters, Cone of Cold, etc) which you can see at the bottom of the page. Now I can create two more decks out of the 60 "rejected" cards. Looks like I've got some Mech synergy, Freeze synergy, and Teacher/Secret/Spell/Avian stuff I could put together.

Deck 2:
    1. Goblin Blastmage
    2. Clockwork Knight
    3. Psych-o-Tron
    4. Force-Tank MAX
    5. Blingtron 3000
    6. Mechanical Yeti
    7. Snowchugger
    8. Alarm-O-Bot
    9. Spiteful Smith
    10. Goblin Sapper
    11. Dlaran Aspirant
    12. Zealous Initiate
    13. Tentacle of N'Zoth
    14. Dalaran Mage
    15. Salty Dog
    16. Blackwing Corruptor
    17. Reckless Rocketeer
    18. Servant of Yogg-Saron
    19. Pit Fighter
    20. Ravenholdt Assassin
    21. Silent Knight
    22. Southsea Deckhand
    23. Undertaker
    24. Servant of Yogg-Saron
    25. Gnomish Inventor
    26. Jungle Panther
    27. Polluted Hoarder
    28. Fossilized Devilsaur
    29. Animated Armor
    30. Shatter

Deck 3:
    1. Violet Teacher
    2. Arcane Anomaly
    3. Avian Watcher
    4. Effigy
    5. Mirror Image
    6. Shatter
    7. Spellslinger
    8. Ice Barrier
    9. Archmage
    10. Frostbolt
    11. Forgotten Torch
    12. Dragon's Breath
    13. Babbling Book
    14. Rhonin
    15. Arcane Explosion
    16. Cone of Cold
    17. Firelands Portal
    18. Cult Sorcerer
    19. Ice Barrier
    20. Arcane Intellect
    21. Mirror Image
    22. Shatter
    23. Duplicate
    24. Arcane Missiles
    25. Demented Frostcaller
    26. Ice Lance
    27. Sen'jin Shieldmasta
    28. Polltued Hoarder
    29. Animated Armor
    30. Volcanic Drake

Does that make sense?

MNC Dover on
    1.PNG 1.2M
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I got Grom and nothing else good at all :( but then I hardly need to be welcomed

loving this mage deck still. I yogg'd when I didn't need to but I've found I'm waiting way too long in my games to play it. you end up wanting too much or needing it to not hurt you at all, etc.

this game I just wanted to swing things a bit. sure enough, low level minions get killed which was helpful, my board replenishes a bit, and I get a secret

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Fun and Interactive Hunter still works. Up to rank 9- 4 stars even though I've been part-timing it while I'm on vacation.

Edit: Ok, so I'm looking at my tracking data and this is a better win-rate than I had with Secrets Pally.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If anyone wants to farm some easy gold, I think this Tavern Brawl deck is unstoppable:

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

I've played 13 games with a 100% win rate, most games over by turn 4.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    If anyone wants to farm some easy gold, I think this Tavern Brawl deck is unstoppable:

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

Hmmm... I beat a similar deck (swap Fist for Silverware Golem) with a Barnes+Ragnaros+Innervate deck. Does Fist really add that much?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

Hmmm... I beat a similar deck (swap Fist for Silverware Golem) with a Barnes+Ragnaros+Innervate deck. Does Fist really add that much?

Think about it. Golem adds three damage next turn that you can naturalize first; fist adds four damage immediately. It adds up.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

Yes. Basically, each mana becomes 8 damage and draw X cards where X equals the number of imps in play. It's not unreasonable to play 2 Soulfires a turn,

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

Think about it. Golem adds three damage next turn that you can naturalize first; fist adds four damage immediately. It adds up.

Well I wasn't running Naturalize, but yeah, the 4 damage would add up quickly a bunch probably.

Steam profile
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    I think the premium heroes should also get custom skins for the class cards. Like Magni could have a hammer skin for fiery war axe, for example. I dunno, just feels like they lost an opportunity there.

Mace1370 wrote: »
    I think the premium heroes should also get custom skins for the class cards. Like Magni could have a hammer skin for fiery war axe, for example. I dunno, just feels like they lost an opportunity there.

That adds a lot more work to each hero. They already come out slowly enough :P

Steam profile
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

I beat someone running this with a weird mage deck (I think intellect / mana wyrm / torch), though they had a few turns where they didn't do anything; I couldn't tell if it they were just letting me win or really had no play

Gdiguy wrote: »

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

I beat someone running this with a weird mage deck (I think intellect / mana wyrm / torch), though they had a few turns where they didn't do anything; I couldn't tell if it they were just letting me win or really had no play

With that deck, they were probably super tempted to wait a bit and try to combo spells with multiple mana wyrms. It's probably too slow for this brawl.

Steam profile
    edited September 2016
    The correct Mage deck is to run Forgotten Torch Arcane Intellect and Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Edit: I also just played a game with that Warlock deck that did 20 damage by turn 2.

Edit #2: Can confirm this deck also crushes all of the mill decks in this brawl.

Vanguard on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    They don't want to do that for clarity. I think they have a point there.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Paladin + Bran + N'Zoth = Tirions 2 and 3 + Selfless Heroes 2 and 3 = Warrior Concede

Gotta save that Brawl

Steam profile
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Gotta save that Brawl

He didn't have one.

Some kind of dragon warrior, running Dragonlord, Chromaggus, Nefarian, and maybe some others? My turn 10 play was Bran + Twin Triplet Emps; I already had Tuskarr Jouster on the board, which I used to clear the 4/4 something he'd gotten from his Portal.

He played Dragonlord, leaving him with 2 cards in hand, and cleared one of the Emps with most of his other minions (one was a Bookwyrm, that lived, and I forget the other, which didn't). On my turn, I ran everything into Dragonlord to clear it before he drew more cards (and to clear my board), and he got only Chromaggus out of Dragonlord's Deathrattle. Then I dropped N'Zoth for the minions described above, hit him in the face with Ashbringer #1's last charge, and used Bran to kill the Bookwyrm minion.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I have kinda enjoyed wisp, tinyfin, brave huntress. Can pretty easily hit for 10+ on turn 2.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

I got to 6 wins. Mill druid took me out.

I had 6 fists in my hand and 4 soul fires and I was at full health while the Druid was at 12 HP I believe.

used first soul fire. it discarded a soul fire. used second soul fire and it discarded a soul fire. got milled the next turn.

:rotate:

steam_sig.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I bought that starter bundle. Got me Ysera, Leroy Jenkins and Jaraxxus (the free class legendary) + around 350 dust + a few golden cards.

I finally finished the "get 7 wins for 5 more old gods card decks" quest - I could have sworn it got me another legendary. Hm, maybe that was on the American server instead of Europe.

Anyways - I have about 2500 dust right now. What do I do with it?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm back from a tabletop game night. Android Netrunner is my new waifu. No card rarity, bluffing matters, no RNG, it was delicious. Also, I got slaughtered.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited September 2016

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

I had 6 fists in my hand and 4 soul fires and I was at full health while the Druid was at 12 HP I believe.

used first soul fire. it discarded a soul fire. used second soul fire and it discarded a soul fire. got milled the next turn.

I am now at 28-2. Both losses are from some similar situations - where I didn't draw into enough Soulfires or they got discarded.

However, against mill you do not want to play Malch's Imp. What I usually do is play all of my burn cards I can and then drop imps. Since they will fill your hand for you, all you need to do is hit the face with Soulfire. If you run out of burn but still have imp's, drop them anyway to give them a naturalize target and make room in your hand for more Soulfire.

Vanguard on

Malch's Imp
    Soulfire
    Fist of Jaraxxus

I am now at 28-2. Both losses are from some similar situations - where I didn't draw into enough Soulfires or they got discarded.

However, against mill you do not want to play Malch's Imp. What I usually do is play all of my burn cards I can and then drop imps. Since they will fill your hand for you, all you need to do is hit the face with Soulfire. If you run out of burn but still have imp's, drop them anyway to give them a naturalize target and make room in your hand for more Soulfire.

I also learned in that game that you can naturalize your own minion. Imagine my surprise when I thought I was safe.

steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm back from a tabletop game night. Android Netrunner is my new waifu. No card rarity, bluffing matters, no RNG, it was delicious. Also, I got slaughtered.

Wait until you play against the ginteki guessing game/betting cards. *shudder*

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Netrunner is so good, but always hard to find people to play with D:

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    I stopped playing arena lately cuz I found it so stale and frustrating. Decided to try one run for the hell of it. I got rogue, so that's good! One of the two OP classes. Problem is I ran into nothing but the MOST OP class, mage. Multiple flamestrikes, fireballs, flamecannons and babbling books giving more flamestrikes. It was atrocious. Went 1-3 and was so discouraged. Not gonna fool me again, arena!!

Then I opened the old gods pack and got golden shifter zerus. Uh... o..ok? Thanks arena you're the best! Getting a choose your own legendary like that when you're still missing so many basics is awesome.

Wow - Mill druid in this weeks brawl. Thats just not right.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Raven Idol, Innervate, Malchezzar has tended to make them surrender fwiw.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Malchezzar with anything really will make them surrender. Can't mill through 60 cards.

steam_sig.png
    Auralynx wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Raven Idol, Innervate, Malchezzar has tended to make them surrender fwiw.

While it doesn't make them surrender, this deck I posted upthread steamrolls them pretty easily.

Well, I played Mill druid for a few games, so that I can finish the quest. That was something else. Won a couple of Druid vs Druid matchups too :biggrin:

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Mage arcane bolt, barnes, deathwing dragon easily the best deck that beats all of them. ;)

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    New prize added to the tournament!

There will be a special prize awarded to the player with the most innovative deck build gets 7 packs of their choice, a $9.99 value! This prize requires a Paypal account and is being generously provided by @envoy1.

I still need 4 players! Sign up now!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited September 2016
    I hate/love when you're in position where you basically can't lose and you have your fun cards in hand but it's not the right play... and you probably wouldn't throw the game by playing them but WHAT IF YOU DID?!?!?!

and you gotta just close it out in the most boring way possible.

Variable on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

The wife asked me to post this here after opening her starter pack.
    6e436ca5dnt4.jpeg

Her words were something along the lines of "your cries of anguish are like music to my ears"

Note she already had two golden yseras that she refuses to dust. Oh and her free legendary was a second antonidas

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra