As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DFO] Dungeon Fighter Online Global - 2nd Awakenings! M.Slayer, F.Mage out

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    DFO is now available on Steam i believe, but with no linking of old accounts to steam. So it doesn't really matter to anyone still keeping up with this thread unless you had a stable of friends who were like "i'd play it but it's not on steam" and you were willing to throw any progress you previously made away to make a new account, though.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    DFO is now available on Steam i believe, but with no linking of old accounts to steam. So it doesn't really matter to anyone still keeping up with this thread unless you had a stable of friends who were like "i'd play it but it's not on steam" and you were willing to throw any progress you previously made away to make a new account, though.

I might.

Awakended costumes are worth it.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'm always trying to peddle dfo to others. I'll be getting this event set legendary stuff on my spit. It's a good excuse to level him.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just downloaded and set up DFO on my PC.

Not sure at all what I want to play. I know the balance in games tends to be "play what you want/is fun to you" but eff that. What's a solid class to play (don't care if it's fixed or percentage) in both the physical and magical categories? I did note that P10 has Exorcist as being capable of both roles equally, and that sounds interesting.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Not sure at all what I want to play. I know the balance in games tends to be "play what you want/is fun to you" but eff that. What's a solid class to play (don't care if it's fixed or percentage) in both the physical and magical categories? I did note that P10 has Exorcist as being capable of both roles equally, and that sounds interesting.

when you say solid that really encompasses almost all of the classes, very few classes are gimped or "bad" in the game's current state so it's kind of hard to give a recommendation solely based on those parameters

i would say in my experience that Asura is a very good all-round, self-sufficient magic damage class that doesn't require a high amount of funding to solo most of the stuff in the game. is that the kind of class you're looking for?

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

when you say solid that really encompasses almost all of the classes, very few classes are gimped or "bad" in the game's current state so it's kind of hard to give a recommendation solely based on those parameters

i would say in my experience that Asura is a very good all-round, self-sufficient magic damage class that doesn't require a high amount of funding to solo most of the stuff in the game. is that the kind of class you're looking for?

I've always preferred M. Grappler myself. Physical, clears fast, has fun smooth-feeling combos. Technically can be hard later on as the class is pretty gear dependent in higher levels but there's always some kind of gear event going on in-game so you'll never have to worry about that.

In any case, this game is set up to be alt-friendly to the point of giving you all kinds of bonuses for having characters at high levels/max level so if you make something and don't like it just roll another character (until you hit the daily creation cap of two characters per day).

Also it's noteworthy that within your first fatigue bar you can progress a class to its first advancement and run a couple dungeons with it to get a basic feel. After that, it typically takes two more fatigue bars to get to around level 30 which is sort of the benchmark level where you'll have access to enough of a class's kit that you'll be able to decide whether you really like the class or not (about 6-7 hours in total if I remember correctly).

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    Capped vanguard in 4 days just to get it out of the way. Thankfully got to skip the last 2 levels thanks to leveling tickets, was cutting it pretty close at the end.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

I mean, we're talking about a game where all classes are fairly viable up to a certain point near level 75+ where a class's "worth" is determined by either whether they can solo, do good team-work, or carry a party. Generally speaking, Crusaders, Elementalists, and Soul Benders get the most love. The first and last of the 3 would practically get you a complete guarantee in a party if you're geared right.

From there it's a matter of figuring out which class is good at what. Male Rangers for example are good at doing pure room-clearing damage and a well funded high level Ranger is accepted by everyone (a lot of male rangers can be jerks though, as a common rule. They think because they do big damage they deserve the most praise). Fighters are typically fine in PVP and in the case of female nens, they're great at PVE party support, while male nens focus on pure offense for the most part.

Some classes are geared towards grouping and breaking the very common "Super Armor" effect by using Super Hold-based skills, some of which are grabs. Basically any class that has a move which can hold groups in place is gonna get respect in some regard.

On the magic side Asuras, Female Spitfires, Elementalists (as mentioned), Magic Exorcists, and Glacial Masters are fairly good magic damage nukes (or set-ups with multi-damaging tools)

So yeah.... play what you want or what is fun to you.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

Really late response but:

Strong physical classes for newer players are Rogue(which is pretty easy to get an end game equipment set on), vagabond, launchers or sword master. Vagabond can do everything we have right now, especially when you farm a level 85 legendary set. Sword master uses either short sword or bludgeon at level cap to start out. They have a class specific gear set for each that adds a ton of damage. Launchers have a lot of damage, especially when geared.

Strong magic classes are Nen Master(male for damage, female for a hybrid of damage and support), Asura, Chaos, Summoner, and Female Spitfires.

Soul Bender and Crusader are support classes. Soul benders weaken the enemy's magic defense, while crusader buffs his party into gods. I haven't played either, but my brother found Soul Bender to be super weak while leveling.

if you play soul bender you better have a friend willing to level with you who is playing a damage class or you are much better off leveling as an other class (probably asura) all the way to 49 (the cutoff point for free class switching) and then swapping back to soul bender before you awaken

because leveling soul bender solo is miserable

sure once you gear up at end game plenty of people will want you in their group but the journey is tortuous

Also as a note to people still playing this game, these new events are extremely good; with plentiful rewards to help gear up. Most notable is the obtainable Gigantic Presence accessory box, which would normally take a month+ of doing normal Anton dungeons daily to earn enough Antonium to buy. The Gigantic Presence pieces are some of the best legendary farmable pieces you can get, so be sure to take advantage of the essentially free one they're giving out. They are also handing out more quest legendary pieces (get your Gracia pieces while they're hot) and as always, more chronicle gear boxes.

Quick tip on the Antony event: run Natram with a bunch of nets prepared; the turtles you have to throw the net at spawn directly in front pf you when you enter the boss room so you can just use the net immediately to catch one or both if you're quick enough. In pretty much every other boss room you have to chase them down since they start moving all over the place.

if you play soul bender you better have a friend willing to level with you who is playing a damage class or you are much better off leveling as an other class (probably asura) all the way to 49 (the cutoff point for free class switching) and then swapping back to soul bender before you awaken

sure once you gear up at end game plenty of people will want you in their group but the journey is tortuous

Post-Revamp Soul Bender is way easier to level solo, but yeah you'd want to consider playing another class like Asura than sub-class switch at level 49. Soul Benders aren't geared to take down mobs quickly.

jagobannerpic.jpg

Post-Revamp Soul Bender is way easier to level solo, but yeah you'd want to consider playing another class like Asura than sub-class switch at level 49. Soul Benders aren't geared to take down mobs quickly.

oh yeah, since the change to scenarios practically any class can level solo

it's just that soul benders and saders are by their nature just going to be slower since their offensive toolkit is substantially less than other classes.

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    I updated this and played a bit.

They added dyes, and they cost golds instead of dollars. So I guess I am never spending my golds on anything besides buying clothing bundles from other players ever again.

Explain to me dimensional rupture and mirror arad and anything else I should know : (

Dimensional Rupture is Mirror Arad. You have 10 entries a day to go in and run randomized old dungeons, and you get a pot after the end of every run (assuming you did the mission objective - it's possible to clear the dungeons w/o clearing the objectives sometimes, which is dumb but w/e) that contains an Endless Eternity Pot, a Powerful Energy Pot, and an xp pill.

The XP pills are for alts, the Endless Eternities are for going into Ancient/Requiem Ancient Dungeons, and the Powerful Energies are for refining your weapon (benefits fixed and hybrid fixed/percent classes, does literally nothing for pure percent classes unless they have some kind of status effect damage).

There is a whole bunch of new content, namely Anton, which involves some Scenarios and Anton dungeons/eventually raid, 86 cap, Castle of the Dead area and dungeons, Dark Elf Temple (daily dungeon you run 2x for various mats) and overall some class rebalancing/buffs/updates. I might have gone over some of them in previous posts here - there are also a bunch of new events too.

Right now I'm just doing story stuff on my grappler and level 70 launcher. And I did the forest event thing that lets you buy an epic box.

Is any of the new daily stuff something I should definitely not miss? I just sell my endless eternities mostly because lol grinding a dungeon for a month to get stuff : (

I think I'm pretty close to being able to finish the short sword...otherverse whatever set for my sword master. Chronicle? Hopefully I can finish that, then limit my chronicle farming to event boxes because the otherverse grind was a real drain.

Dark Elf Temple can help alleviate Chronicle gear grinding somewhat - it drops its own fragments that you can trade in at the merchant nearby to get Chron set rings/necklace, belts, or shoulders. You can do Dark Elf Temple 2 times a day and it costs no FP, but the mobs inside can be pretty annoying and certain rooms also have gimmicks. However, it doesn't take nearly as long as an entire OV run to complete so there's that.

The Hell Road event box is only a level 70 epic, and the only notable level 70 epic I can think of is Doppel Fist, which synergizes extremely well with a Chronicle Set (Luminous Fist) for Nen Masters. It's still worth running because Epic Road can potentially drop 60-80 epics, with 80 epics being usable if nothing else and some 75 epics are good too.

I would try and do the finding Antony event because you can pick up a quest Legendary box, which is one of the ones you would normally have to grind a month for in Ancient dungeons. You can also get 2 Chronicle Set boxes from collecting enough Turtles in addition to the Gigantic Presence accessory box, so there's that too. Preparation for Anton event also yields some free Interdimensional frags if you turn in the supply boxes they want consistently, but you might just want to use them instead of turning them in, since Supply 2 boxes give Interdimensional Frags and Supply 3 boxes give Demon Invites (and you're probably only interested in the Interdimensional frags from the turnin rewards anyways). Other than those three events nothing really sticks out as "must do", since the Back to DFO School is just a chance for actual stuff and not ingame rewards and you get the chances for entering those from running dungeons naturally.

Are the 70 epics not any better than 80 pinks? That's basically the only competition they are up against.

They might do ok but there are now a lot more 85 pink weapons.

So one thing that might have been introduced since the lást time you played the game are Halidom equipment, which are unique quality gear anyone can farm for and which give a stacking stat bonus the more pieces you havve equipped so long as you have a Halidom weapon equipped. The thing is that you can make an 85 Halidom weapon by using a recipe that drops from Castle of the Dead bosses on a regular magic sealed piece of gear, and all you need is some mats that you can get from a couple of days worth of grinding Castle of the Dead circulation mode (which becomes available after you clear al the storyline quests there). Halidom Weapons also give +1 from all skills from 1-<whatever level weapon it is>, which is quite good for most classes since an 85 Halidom would give +1 to all skills, includding buff skills, passives, and Awakenings as oposed to drop/boss uniques that are of varying use to classes based on their effect.

edited September 2016
    Tl;dr an 85 Halidom weapon provides consistent bonuses that benefit any class (and most importantly, can be relatively easily farmed for) ; in best case scenarios a 70 might tie an 85 Halidom (disclaimer, there's only one case I can think of where it might be true) but in most cases are not better, and definitely lose out when you consider the Halidom stacking bonus. Also if you are a fixed class since higher level weapons not only start out with higher independent attack, they gain more per level of refinement - the same goes for reinforcement but there is theoretically a point where 70 epics can beat or tie higher level weapons, but that involves reinforcing over +10 which is dangerously risky and a money sink even if you have ewuipment protection tickets.

Orphane on
    So, I think I've fallen back into DFO with the Steam Release and those sweet, sweet awakened ones costumes. Like,I already bought the two I could buy on my primary steam account. I'm starting a new Steam account. So I can have TWO MORE.

I think the first two character's I'm leveling are Vanguard(LUU BUUUUU) and Vagabond because of course at least one Fem Slayer.

Any general information I should know about those two? Pretty sure Vagabond is gonna be a casual in Halidom since, well, they apparently don't scale well.

But I have no idea what to go for on my Vanguard, which will probably be my "main".

You are in luck, because Vanguard and Vagabond are both neutral classes, aka the answer is I hope you like farming Noire Ferra for days

The Gracia legendary set is a consistent and powerful set that is (relative to epic sets) easy to obtain - it's also flexible in that its max set bonuses are at 6 but there are 10 pieces total, which allow you to swap out pieces depending on if you have epics you want to keep on.

The most common setups are all the armor pieces (Shoulder, Top, Bottom, Belts, Boots) and Sub Equip piece, or in the event that you are using a legendary sub equip or epic the Magic Stone. This leaves your accessory slots fully free for, say, the Gigantic Presence accessory set (you should have the damage to do Anton normals if you have a solid weapon and full Gracia 6) or epic/legendary accessories.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    My Vagabond is at 4 piece Gracia now. Goes well with her lightsaber.

Well, in trying to make Rogue work for me and get used to her, on a whim, I tried out Shadow Dancer with the free subclass change thing.

I don't know why, really.

But I can't go back. Shadow Dancer is just...it just feels RIGHT.

Sure, I do shit for damage since I'm only 32 and eight levels away from assassination. But I love DFO's backstab system, and wiping a room by backstabbing one dude while your shadows backstab the rest is COOL AS FUCK.

Shadow dancer is possibly my 2nd favorite character due to the visceral satisfaction assassinates give

Well, I finally got 6 pieces of Monster Ruler. And I got the superheat short sword because why not I had the meteors.

I am...a lot stronger.

Then I finally got my first usable epic weapon from the event dungeon. Level 75 bludgeon.

I am not going back : (

Yagrush and Ayamur seems like a giant hassle anyways

Also monster ruler 6 is when ss + chrons really takes off in terms of roiding out medley proc speed

I think 9 just gives more damage

Internet was down for several days so I couldn't play, but luckily the War Preparation event is still at large. No way in hell I'll miss the chance on a free Giant Presence set piece. Demon Lancer/Vanguard is the only actual class I hit level cap with so far, but man is he fun as fuck to play. Just crowd-control and burst damage combos for days. Once I get that 9 piece Destruction set, he can even spin-to-win.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Both Lancer's have great spin to win options.

So, I did Epic Road today on my Vagabond, and got 3 epics.

Ikan Hand Cannon for Launcher(70)
    Aqua Crystal for...mages and maybe creators I think?(70)

And the Bone Red Dragon Short Sword.

I can use that last thing. At least, Dark Templar can use i...oh FUCK. NOW I REMEMBER WHAT IT'S FOR.

IT'S FOR GODDAMN SWORDSMASTER, ISN'T IT.

I'm a Swordsmaster now, aren't I....

i mean, technically BoneRed is self-sufficient in proccing its HP shred effect since it also has a burn proc

but Sword Master will make the best use of it in general since DT is pretty much completely shadow locked and Vagabond just wants weapons with as much phys attack as possible

Also got my Fnen's Mana Reinforcement to +12

it's no Berserk, but boy has my Fnen come a long way

I got an Invisible Sword Arges. Huh...

edited September 2016
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I got an Invisible Sword Arges. Huh...

On your SM? Congrats. Now you can do Real Soviet Damage!

Arges is one of the good short swords for SM, its bonuses actually allow it to beat out some higher leveled weapons.

Orphane on
    I put in a request to join Penny Aradian, since I'm 100% sure I'm sticking with this account.

Hit level 70 on my MAN Lancer too....now that 70-86 Hump begins.

Good news is, when I hit 84, I'll hit 86 so whoo!

I'll accept when i get home, maybe p10 is around so he can add you

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    oh you can actually transfer being guild master now
    *abdicates all responsibility*

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions