As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worsebefore it gets any better.Registered User regular
edited September 2016 in Social Entropy++
Yes, SE++, now is the time of year when stuff gets spooky.

9JBsW3

Haunted hay rides, haunted corn mazes, haunted pumpkin patches. Basically any fall activity can become spooky if you append the words "haunted" or "zombie" to it. Maybe both!

Haunted Zombie hay ride!

Those zombies have seen some shit, man.

Anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XTgFtxHhCQ0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cjjIna3j1Nc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1Erm2C4iQ

http://youtu.be/UgG2-gcWjt4

I was just out smoking on my deck and there was a big harvest moon and then a bat started swooping around and it's very crisp and autumnal outside and it all feels very Halloweenish and I'm loving it.

So, my spooky fiends (see what I did there?), do you have any plans for Halloween? Any spooky movie recommendations?

LET US EXALT IN THE SPOOKINESS, LET US DISCUSS LITERATURE AND COMICS AND MOVIES AND SHORTS AND SPOOKY INTERNET POSTS AND OTHER STUFF WOOOOOOO!

Metzger Meister on

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Okay my partner is trying to remember a movie they saw some number of years ago in England, and my google-fu is not getting me anywhere, so I thought I'd try here. It's Spanish, set in modern day, about a family with at least one kid moving into a house that they start to think is haunted. While investigating, they discover it was an old boarding house or orphanage where Francisco Franco performed experiments on children thanks to some movie reels in the attic.

Some strong elements they remember include writing on the walls in blood, a sub-plot with a priest, and an actual demon inhabiting the house.

This movie is NOT The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, or The Orphanage.

They watched it sometime between 2010-2013, on UK Netflix or some equivalent.

This ringing bells for anyone?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    In spooky news, I stumbled upon "r/twosentencehorror", and learned that a lot of folks are terrible at writing horror!

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    It's a sultry Georgia night here with a gibbous moon hanging in the lowering sky. Clouds scud across the sky, warm winds blowing them to their destinations.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My official stance

AqoX7kUCQAA2YPJ.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Btw, is Shudder worth it? It's like Netflix for horror movies, right?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Btw, is Shudder worth it? It's like Netflix for horror movies, right?

It has a good selection of worthwhile movies. And the monthly rate is pretty cheap. But it only has a little over 400 movies, and odds are you've seen a fair number of them already, so...worth subscribing to for a few months or possibly a bit longer depending on how fast you go through the good stuff?

Ketar on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Halloween is the best. My friends and I are putting together some horror/gothic horror themed Magic the Gathering commander decks for October.

Anyone remember the 8 Films to Die For series?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Okay my partner is trying to remember a movie they saw some number of years ago in England, and my google-fu is not getting me anywhere, so I thought I'd try here. It's Spanish, set in modern day, about a family with at least one kid moving into a house that they start to think is haunted. While investigating, they discover it was an old boarding house or orphanage where Francisco Franco performed experiments on children thanks to some movie reels in the attic.

Some strong elements they remember include writing on the walls in blood, a sub-plot with a priest, and an actual demon inhabiting the house.

I did some searching, and this seems like the most likely candidate.

https://nekonekomovielitterbox.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/no-do-2009-aka-the-beckoning-aka-the-haunting-spanish-ghost-horror/

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Aw yiss, it's almost time for my annual marathon of stupid ghost hunting shows! My guiltiest of guilty pleasures.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Be sure your Ghostbusters service plan is paid up, spooky thread. It would be a shame if you were… repossessed!

DW2JVRr.gif
    Yuk yuk!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    More dispatches from a cabin in the woods.

I walked out on my porch with coffee and was nearly clipped by a vulture. I look around and suddenly a little more than a dozen fly off from some corner in the woods.

And now a murder of crows is going insane in the exact same location. Also included is an animal (probably a bird) noise that I cannot recognize.

These are like signs that I'll have a good day right?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »

I walked out on my porch with coffee and was nearly clipped by a vulture. I look around and suddenly a little more than a dozen fly off from some corner in the woods.

And now a murder of crows is going insane in the exact same location. Also included is an animal (probably a bird) noise that I cannot recognize.

Depends how hungry you are.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »

I'm more worried about how hungry they are tbh

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammer wrote: »

I'm more worried about how hungry they are tbh

Nah. They just ate.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

Well, whatever killed the thing they're eating is probably done hunting for at least a couple days?

So.

There's that!

• Options
    Real excited to find out what they were eating. Not like animals to just walk up to one of the few human inhabited places and croak.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    It will be a young bull moose, his antlers spreading like the dome of the sky itself, his heart torn from his great chest. The rest of the mighty animal, untouched. The moose's eyes are open in death, spread wide in blind terror, and there is a smell like every dead and rotting thing in the world gathered into one place.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Real excited to find out what they were eating. Not like animals to just walk up to one of the few human inhabited places and croak.

You're gonna be super-disappointed / relieved when it turns out to be roadkill or someone having disposed of meat lazily.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

You're gonna be super-disappointed / relieved when it turns out to be roadkill or someone having disposed of meat lazily.

Given where I live I'm going to be very confused if someone disposed meat in front of my house. Nearest neighbor is three miles out.
    It will be a young bull moose, his antlers spreading like the dome of the sky itself, his heart torn from his great chest. The rest of the mighty animal, untouched. The moose's eyes are open in death, spread wide in blind terror, and there is a smell like every dead and rotting thing in the world gathered into one place.

Hey could be an elk. Never know! Could be a Jason waiting in rest till tonight.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    2SPUKE4U

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Chimera kitty! :D

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Given where I live I'm going to be very confused if someone disposed meat in front of my house. Nearest neighbor is three miles out.

Hey could be an elk. Never know! Could be a Jason waiting in rest till tonight.

So...

Literally half of a deer. Like a deer if you sawed it in half.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, don't panic. How much salt do you have on hand right now?

Also, the beast is probably in your house right now so be careful.

• Options
    When I'm a little less distracted I'll type up my actual monster experience from when I was 14. Same cabin too.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Nullzone wrote: »

I did some searching, and this seems like the most likely candidate.

https://nekonekomovielitterbox.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/no-do-2009-aka-the-beckoning-aka-the-haunting-spanish-ghost-horror/

This was totally it, you are amazing! Thank you :D

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Just watched The Nightmare on Netflix, that was a real cool documentary! I do wonder why so many of the sufferers can't accept the medical explanation for what's happening and jump to some spiritual or metaphysical explanation.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Because it takes a whole lot of mental energy to get comfortable with the fact that your brain is a kludged-together Rube Goldberg machine that will lie to you whenever it's convenient. And if you're not comfortable with that, sleep paralysis is really hard to explain in a way that feels true when measured against the evidence of your own experience.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    When I'm a little less distracted I'll type up my actual monster experience from when I was 14. Same cabin too.

Oh, you went back

Alright see ya, it was cool

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Oh, you went back

Alright see ya, it was cool

Oh yes. This cabin is where I lived the first 14 years of my life followed by a seven month stint after I graduated college. Now I'm a month into another run of it.

But here's my monster story.

The setting-A cabin in the woods on the highest point of our mountain. Deep in the Arkansas Ozarks. Neighbors are literally miles away. All of the roads are dirt and rather treacherous to newcomers. Also to this day there is no cell phone receptions.

But onto the story. This was one of the last nights I spent out here before moving down into valley with my mom after the parents divorced. Dad stayed in the cabin and I was there for one of the weekends. Being 14 or so I was up entirely too late playing video games (GTA 3 probably, who knows doesn't matter) and I hear a call from down stairs to go to bed. Dutifully I do so, but I'm not particularly tired. So I end up just staring at my ceiling for quite some time. And that's when I heard it.

I've never quite gotten the description to a place where I feel it adequately describes what I heard. It wasn't the call of any animal I recognized, from bear to mountain lion to any assorted bird. It sounded like four or five different animals at various different tones trying to harmonize. Everything from a high pitched screech to a deep guttural roar. I was suddenly and quite terrifyingly frozen. I spent the next ten minutes trying to convince myself that I just had dozed off for a second and had a nightmare. Well of course things had to continue on and dissuade that notion.

At the time my dad had an enormous rottweiler by the name of Bruno who slept on our deck. The extended silence after the noise was broken by Bruno whimpering and scrambling off of the deck. This was immediately followed by the sounds of grunts and extraordinarily heavy sounding footsteps. I could hear it make its way up the stairs and then circle the deck a time or two. And then I heard the screen door swing open. The door handle jiggled a couple times. Luckily my father is a rather paranoid sort. So even without neighbors for miles he still locked the door. The screen door slams shut. And I hear a series of exasperated grunts. And it stomps off the deck, and into the night.

I then heard Bruno hop back onto the deck and let out a few hollow barks. Maybe to maintain an illusion that he was a good security dog.

Didn't spend the night at the cabin for a year or two.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    As a native Arkansan what you witnessed good sir was the Ozark Howler. It's honestly nothing to be afraid of. It was just scouting the nearby area for its master and most likely wouldn't have bothered you had it been given free reign into your home. That being said don't let the damn thing in your house of your own free will and do not attempt to remember too clearly the details of what you saw or heard.

It's best to just forget about that night.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I had sleep paralysis exactly once.

... well, that I know of, I guess?

but yeah it was scary as shit.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Scratchy wrote: »
    As a native Arkansan what you witnessed good sir was the Ozark Howler. It's honestly nothing to be afraid of. It was just scouting the nearby area for its master and most likely wouldn't have bothered you had it been given free reign into your home. That being said don't let the damn thing in your house of your own free will and do not attempt to remember too clearly the details of what you saw or heard.

It's best to just forget about that night.

So on the Ozark Howler, in all my research in Ozark folklore I've never actually seen reference to them before the late nineties and mostly on the internet. They certainly seem to appear only in the latest books on Ozark cryptids and what not. Like I can find references to the GowRow, SallyBally, and literally any of the most obscure creatures that roam these hills in books dating back to the late 1800s, but not a dang thing on the Howler. So I think it's the Ozark's first internet derived legend. Still neat though!

I could always go with the apparent ghosts on this mountain. Two friends and I have been yelled at by ghosts in the graveyard here. Or UFOs which everyone here has at least some kind of story with. Despite having a monster, ghost, and ufo story I still remain a steadfast skeptic for what it's worth.

And if the actual stories weren't true and so damn dark I'd allude to the cult history of this county (of course the worst story of that comes from this specific mountain)

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    is the ozark howler the rake????

(i hate the rake it has ruined so many "MYSTERIOUS CREATURES CAUGHT ON TAPE???" videos

it's so much harder to get on board with those things when they reference something the internet came up with in the last five years or whatever like that guy and slenderman)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I was gonna do my usual thing and pretend to contact your local Ghostbusters franchise for a consultation but the only one in your entire state by my records is some clownshoes operation out of Old Ft. Smith near the Oklahoma border and the Ghostbusters of the Ozarks operate out of Missouri. You're on your own, I'm afraid. Best of luck to ya!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I was visited by a wraith last night. I managed to sneak some video of it.
    https://youtu.be/v4IC7qaNr7I

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I don't know that it's to quite that degree. And there's still a chance I've missed any literature on the howler. But another friend with a fairly in-depth library of Ozark folklore and crypotozoology is pretty much with me in not being able to find anything.

Which I dunno. Most of these things come from tall tales and fibs. Especially your Ozark equivalents. Gowrow booths were used around here to actually swindle folks out of money. They'd hold a sideshow to see it. But once they lifted the curtain there'd just be a hole dug in the ground and the presenter would freak out about its escape. So I think internet urban legends seem like a pretty natural transition into folkloric storytelling. And honestly just as true in spirit to their oral storytelling brethren. Like there are so many variations and origin stories of so many cryptids and monsters in oral traditions that the you could say they were made by a crowd too.

Is a bummer as far as research goes though if you are trying to be academic about it. Cus stuff like Slenderman and the Rake have made it very popular to add fibbed historical records of folktales and stuff.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    And really odd timing. A friend just sent me a link to a cryptozoology wiki site that uses some of my art for its Gowrow entry. So that's neat I think.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Honestly the howler was something that was recently brought to my attention and I think it's the dumbest thing ever. Most likely a mountain lion grabbing a rabbit nearby. The screams of rabbits is the stuff of nightmares.
    Night terrors and rabbit screams. Truth is scarier than what anyone can make up.

Edit: Rotts are smart, Poor dog wanted inside when he heard that and pawed at the door when the big cat came. Or it was a goddamn Bigfoot, who knows?

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It was me

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Trying to decide if I want to try and get Halloween off this year, otherwise my work shift is such that I'd miss out on spooking kids at my parent's place

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra