As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FIOS Router and Other ISPs

Moving shortly to an area that only offers Comcast and Verizon FIOS. Existing resident had Verizon FIOS, so the ONT box is still in the basement. From doing a little research, it sounds like I need some special equipment (either Verizon FIOS' modem/router combo, or a NIC and my own router) to get it to work. Doing Cable + Internet + Phone, and the box is currently set up to output coax. I understand I can try to get it to output ethernet, but then I have to convert ethernet to coax for TV/Phone.

All that said, how good are the newer Verizon FIOS routers? And if down the road I were to switch to Comcast, can the Verizon FIOS router be used as a regular router (I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem already)? I had been meaning to buy a new router, so if the Verizon FIOS router can be used as a standalone and is relatively good, at least it won't be a total loss.

I did a forum search and the most recently stuff I could find was like 2010, which is why I am asking now, given stuff has changed in the last few years.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Meant to put this in the Tech Tavern.

@Echo @A steak! @Bobkins Flymo Able to lend a hand and move this for me?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm still using the old one but my mom has the new one. The old one only had G, so I've got it connected to a TPLink router for better wifi.

The old one was an Actiontec with FiOS software. Not sure if they swapped manufacturers for the newer one. My mom doesn't seem to have the wifi issues she used to have with the old one, so I'd say it's passable to decent as a standalone router.

Honestly if we didn't use our DVR, we probably would have just removed the FiOS router from the chain. I have read of others hooking it up at the ONT box and then running their own hardware everywhere else.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Yeah, I've read that if the ONT is set up to output Ethernet instead of Coax you can get rid of their router, but it sounds like then everything comes out Ethernet, so if you have TV you have to convert it back to Coax to plug it into their TV box. I asked them on the phone if only internet could come out Ethernet and TV comes out Coax, but they told me it couldn't (but he seemed less than sure).

He told me this is their most recent model:

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-FiOS-G1100-Gateway-FIOS-G1100/dp/B0145REEA0

• Options
    Yes, it is. I still need to call and yell at them about swapping my router out. I mean, we're paying rent on it anyway (like we had a choice), so we should get the updated hardware.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Years ago I had FiOS and had them switch the ONT over to Ethernet output. When they did this the service tech told me that there was no way to make this setup work with the FiOS TV box, you need coax from the ONT to work with TV. (I only needed internet so I didn't care). I don't know if that's still the case, but don't count on being able to convert back to coax at the TV box.

edit: when they switch to Ethernet output it disables coax output from the ONT (or at least did in my case)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Yes, it is. I still need to call and yell at them about swapping my router out. I mean, we're paying rent on it anyway (like we had a choice), so we should get the updated hardware.

Yes, you definitely should. The old router is supposed to be free now, I think.

We have the quantum gateway. It is a solid router as far as I can tell - no issues. I don't think we've rebooted it in over a year.

The ONT is in the basement of course (not sure if they ever remove it), but did the previous resident buy the FIOS router and leave it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    No, we got it when we turned on FiOS after we moved in 4 years ago. We just got our most recent bill so I'll check the price.

I may actually just buy that router outright via Amazon and swap it myself. I'll have to call them with the new MAC address, though. It'll be cheaper than renting/installment-ing it from Verizon directly.

Edit: just checked; we do not pay rent for the router

Mugsley on
  • Options
    I bought mine directly from them. Currently on sale for $150 (Amazon was a bit cheaper, but call it $15 fee so that if I have any issues I can contact Verizon directly for warranty stuff). Decided to just buy as at that price, it pays for itself in 15 months and it has a 24 month warranty, so effectively $90 savings, more if it goes beyond lasting two years.

And that's what I thought about the ONT; it's either coax or ethernet, not both. And we are doing a triple play, so it sounds like coax is what I need.