As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2016 - Prime is dead, long live PAX

1151617181921»

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well I'm going to give him a rash of shit anyway.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    A Tonkka says what

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    What.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    this was

the wrong thread

since I posted in the wrong thread, I replaced my previous post with something that may still fit in with Tonkka's response

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    What.

yes, indeed

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    OH SURE YEAH DO THAT.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I feel like this PAX had some pretty high highs for me and some low lows. I've been to every PAX in Seattle since, well, it's technically been in Seattle (so, 2007). I remember that show fondly, though I doubt I could watch more than 5 seconds of Wil Wheaton's keynote today. The only PAX I've been too that stands out as bad was probably 2008, which I still remember as "CrowdedPAX", especially relative to 2007.

This PAX had some stuff on the floor that I really liked. I managed to get into the Horizon: Zero Dawn demo and while I don't think it'd make me buy a PS4, it does look like a pretty cool game. I walked through the Indie Megabooth and saw a game that caused me and probably, like, 10,000 other people to say "hey, this reminds me of SimTower!". (On a related note, I just played Project Highrise for the past 4 hours.) I attended the preliminaries of the Omegathon for the first time ever and enjoyed that thoroughly. The initiatives to make the Expo Hall less crowded have paid off and it's noticeably easier to get around than it used to be. While I'm not crazy about Twitch's super-large booth or anything, the Expo Hall, to me, almost makes West worth it on its own. (As the Post-PAX survey has put it in the past, I enjoy the sheer spectacle.) I attended Acquisitions Inc for the first time ever and enjoyed shouting "GREEN FLAME" with 2500 people at the same time.

And, of course, I hung out with a bunch of y'all.

There were some downsides, though they're mostly my own fault. Neither of my usual crew could make it this year, which left me scrambling for accommodations at the last minute that didn't cost $200/night. Thanks to one of my friends here, I was able to stay with his aunt and uncle in Kirkland. And indeed, on a given morning, counting the time it took to get a car, it'd take me about 30 minutes to get into town. All things considered, that's not bad. (And, as you might guess by the fact they let basically a stranger stay in their house for five nights for free, they are incredibly nice people.) But the downsides are that having a room in town helps a ton as a base of operations, so to speak, and if nothing else just a place to take your shoes off for a few minutes. Also, there were some early morning lines I wanted to get in, and while I realize I could've gotten up earlier, it would've been much easier to get in those lines if I could just walk into them.

So yeah, note to self: next year, figure out the hotel situation before, say, mid-August.

So safe to say Project Highrise was pretty good? I saw it and immediately went "oh this is just a simtower clone and they're ripping them off" then realized its been like 20 years since Simtower, so its probably safe to say a spiritual sequel is due.

I honestly hadn't thought about SimTower in a while until I saw it on the show floor, and well, being ASimPerson I had to check it out. I'm about to give it another whirl.
    The Geek wrote: »
    Also, those of you who came to karaoke night, what did you think of the set up and venue? Any suggestions for next year?

As @#pipe put it, that room after an hour or two was "like an armpit". I was okay with the setup otherwise.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yah, ventilation wasn't the greatest, but the app was fine and the company made everything so delightful I didn't really care I was probably sweating my jumpsuit sheer.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Have Mike and Jerry stopped playing the omegathon final games altogether now? I haven't watched any of the recent east/south ones so I don't know if this is new for them.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think they did Goldeneye at east

• Options
    Maybe it's not a trend. I'm thinking back to previous years and I don't remember them playing Spy Party or Trials either, but those went on for longer.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not sure if there's much that can be done about the ventilation situation but I can find out.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    BYOB situation. They provide a power strip and we bring our own blowers

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

...is "Phrasing" still out?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Next year Road Virus shows up in the blow mobile.

Yes I did think about this post.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Mike and Jerry may feel that we're getting our fix of watching them compete directly with the For The Watch matches? Given how precarious they've said that head to head gameplay between them can be, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd agreed to a hard limit of one match per PAX.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

There were two fans already going. One was a big ass industrial fan. After a while, fans don't matter because it's just blowing around the hot air around.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Mike and Jerry may feel that we're getting our fix of watching them compete directly with the For The Watch matches? Given how precarious they've said that head to head gameplay between them can be, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd agreed to a hard limit of one match per PAX.

Oh true, I forgot they were doing that now. I did watch the Overwatch one, too!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    My PAX so far: when I checked in at the airport this morning, I received an unexpected extra ticket: an added layover between Chicago and Seattle, in San Francisco. I foolishly assume the airline knows what it's doing. That's what I paid them for, right?
    I arrive in San Francisco after two packed and cramped flights, look at the flight board to see where my next gate is, and discover my flight to Seattle has been canceled. I hot-foot to the customer service desk and find a whoooooole lot of angry people who also got bumped.
    The customer service folks proceeded to tell us that there are no more flights to Seattle until the 3rd. After I got angry, and asked for a supervisor, dude looked again and says he found me a seat for 8:15 tomorrow morning. They're putting me in a hotel for the night. Supervisors nowhere to be found. I'm told my only recourse is to complain through the website.

Update: United finally replied and gave me a $200 voucher. Not quite the cost of my ticket to Seattle, nor the missed night at the hotel on Thursday. I suppose I'll fly them one more time before I switch to another airline permanently.

• Options
    $200 VOUCHER?! Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

You should get your own airplane for that horseshit.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    united is terrible, it is known

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I was hoping for at least the cost of my flight there, but free money is free money, I guess. Also they spelled my last name in the email once the right way, and once the wrong way, so just an all around disappointment in how they've treated this entire situation.

• Options
    They make it super fucking hard to spend those vouchers

• Options
    I'm gonna book my PAX south flight this weekend and try it then. I don't see why they'd blackout those days - there aren't any holidays or anything.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My PAX so far: when I checked in at the airport this morning, I received an unexpected extra ticket: an added layover between Chicago and Seattle, in San Francisco. I foolishly assume the airline knows what it's doing. That's what I paid them for, right?
    I arrive in San Francisco after two packed and cramped flights, look at the flight board to see where my next gate is, and discover my flight to Seattle has been canceled. I hot-foot to the customer service desk and find a whoooooole lot of angry people who also got bumped.
    The customer service folks proceeded to tell us that there are no more flights to Seattle until the 3rd. After I got angry, and asked for a supervisor, dude looked again and says he found me a seat for 8:15 tomorrow morning. They're putting me in a hotel for the night. Supervisors nowhere to be found. I'm told my only recourse is to complain through the website.

Update: United finally replied and gave me a $200 voucher. Not quite the cost of my ticket to Seattle, nor the missed night at the hotel on Thursday. I suppose I'll fly them one more time before I switch to another airline permanently.

You can always try contacting them again and saying a 200 dollar voucher isn't good enough. I mean pointing out that the hotel room was more than that would be a good start.

• Options
    I got one for a massive flight diversion and when I tried to spend it they said I could only spend it on that route for some reason. I had no desire to go to fucking philadelphia so never spent it.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

You can always try contacting them again and saying a 200 dollar voucher isn't good enough. I mean pointing out that the hotel room was more than that would be a good start.

Also tweet it to their public twitter handle.

Companies bend over backwards for that stuff.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hey I'm thinking that I am going to book my hotel for PAX next year super early. I really want to stay at the Moore.

It's CHEAP ($160 per night for two bedrooms connected by a shared bathroom which could easily sleep 4, as well as suites with different setups for slightly more money), nice and close to everything (2nd and Virginia, 4 blocks or so from the convention centre) and it's also old and funky and fun.

They also have "Euro Suites" which is a single bedroom with a shared bathroom in the hall for $85 per night. A couple could do this on the VERY cheap.

It would be awesome to make a big group booking for a bunch of rooms.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man.

If I could plan my life better I would arrange to visit the Austin office next year the week after PAX and just do a weekend layover. The difference between rolling in jetlagged as fuck v hungover as fuck isn't that big.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Also tweet it to their public twitter handle.

Companies bend over backwards for that stuff.

These are good points. Twitter is the next step if this last email doesn't result in anything.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    BTW, if you're worried about PAX East tickets, you have a reprieve:

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey I'm thinking that I am going to book my hotel for PAX next year super early. I really want to stay at the Moore.

It's CHEAP ($160 per night for two bedrooms connected by a shared bathroom which could easily sleep 4, as well as suites with different setups for slightly more money), nice and close to everything (2nd and Virginia, 4 blocks or so from the convention centre) and it's also old and funky and fun.

They also have "Euro Suites" which is a single bedroom with a shared bathroom in the hall for $85 per night. A couple could do this on the VERY cheap.

It would be awesome to make a big group booking for a bunch of rooms.

Em and I just stayed at a "Euro Suite" place like this in Portland and it was phenomenal. The Moore is super rad, too, although in the interest of fair disclosure, it's actually 8 blocks from the Convention Center (still less than ten minutes by foot).

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting down to play Secret Hitler with strangers. WE'LL SEE HOW THIS PLAYS OUT.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN