As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Use Alertness. Oh, you already rolled. That's fine. For Auspex, you could use Alertness, for future reference.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    @cj iwakura What would be the roll for legwork and/or communication with the locals to find an underground entrance. Wits+Investigation, empathy/manipulation+streetwise, something else?

We probably should coordinate to figure out who should roll what, if we want to make any progress.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I was kind of waiting for us to reach that point via story.

Feel like that's probably the area that I'll likely want to roll in, see if some mix of Charisma/Appearance/Empathy/Subterfuge plus my Merit of Friendly Face helping it along.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Whatever you feel most comfortable with. Elizabeth and Deke have the most information at hand, but you can also go with Wits plus Investigation(or a preferred ability) or use Charisma/etc. for a social route.

A mental roll entails searching, social means conversing with locals.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    How many different skills/attributes can be mixed to roll?

I'm not 100% still on picking the right count for dice. Is it just primary attribute+skill, or is it multiple skills, or a mix of all attributes and skills that make sense?

How many different skills/attributes can be mixed to roll?

I'm not 100% still on picking the right count for dice. Is it just primary attribute+skill, or is it multiple skills, or a mix of all attributes and skills that make sense?

An attribute plus an ability or background, along with a discipline if relevant.

wVEsyIc.png
    Sorry, being a bit anal just to ensure I get the first roll right.

Charisma+Subterfuge+Auspex (or would Auspex not work for social roll)?

So 4+2+1 = 7 which is a 7d10o10h8 roll?

edited September 2016
    Auspex would not, unfortunately. That's for Investigation. Presence or Dominate would.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Well, I have 1 in Presence too, so that works. Alright, let's cross our fingers and try this out

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is there an assist mechanic in some way?

Huh.

The roll form looks correct, but I'm not getting how it got 4 successes in that roll.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It looks like it counted the initial 10s as successes?

Yeah 4 successes is correct. you got:
    7d10o10h8 4 [7d10o10h8=1, 5, [10, 6], [10, 6], [10, 8], 3, 4]

The three 10s are a success each, which is correct, plus you get an additional die roll for each. So the first two extra 10 rolls failed, but the last one got an 8, so 4 successes total.

Fencingsax wrote: »

In what sense?

wVEsyIc.png
    Boozer wrote: »
    Yeah 4 successes is correct. you got:
    7d10o10h8 4 [7d10o10h8=1, 5, [10, 6], [10, 6], [10, 8], 3, 4]

The three 10s are a success each, which is correct, plus you get an additional die roll for each. So the first two extra 10 rolls failed, but the last one got an 8, so 4 successes total.

Ah thanks. That makes more sense now. I didn't quite understand why the 10's were being rerolled earlier, but now I get it, it's a success reroll not just a random reroll.

Even if I should have used a h7 for Friendly Face, it wouldn't have changed anything there. Didn't have any 7s.

edited September 2016
    cj iwakura wrote: »

In what sense?

Can we give the person rolling an advantage in any way? Like a bonus or something? Some systems I've played with have that, I don't know about the nuts and bolts of V:tM. I don't know of any, but I just wanted to check.

Fencingsax on
    cj iwakura wrote: »

In what sense?

Can we give the person rolling an advantage in any way? Like a bonus or something? Some systems I've played with have that, I don't know about the nuts and bolts of V:tM. I don't know of any, but I just wanted to check.

Depends. In some situations if you're capable of assisting, yes, such as working together. It more likely means a reduced challenge or a dice pooling.

wVEsyIc.png
    Since Elizabeth has surprise on the kid, she has an opportunity to act before he reacts.

wVEsyIc.png
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Seems like a bad idea to try to get close enough to hear what they're saying. Any suggestions on what to roll to interpret body language?

edited September 2016
    You have Auspex 2, Auspex 1 gives heightened senses so you should be able to overhear them. Not sure if you need a roll to make it out among the busy market.

Now that I mention it reading the suits Aura would also be interesting

Boozer on
    V20 says Perception + Empathy for aura perception. Unless it's different in the other versions I don't think it would be viable and as a paranoid Malkavian it might be considered 'out of line' for me to be able to rely on that to any reasonable degree.

Still you're probably right that I could hear what they're sayimg.

At a distance it would be difficult, but he should have an easy time of getting closer.

wVEsyIc.png
    What's success against a roll listed in the rule book?

It says that whenever there is something that could capture attention, it's a Self-Control roll against a difficult of 6. What's that translate to when I roll? Rolling for a hit of 6 instead of 8 and if any hit I resist?

You roll your self-control + willpower dice pool, and have to get a total of six successes. If it doesn't happen at first, you can try again after time passes.
    Either that, or you can expend a temporary willpower to resist it.

wVEsyIc.png
    What's the temporary willpower expending mean?

To get 6 successes, I basically have to hit with all dice or hope for a couple 10s....

You have one less willpower for the night.

It does seem really harsh, but I suppose the idea is that you shouldn't be able to easily escape the clan weakness.

wVEsyIc.png
    Eh, it's early in the game, let's take a shot ;)

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Yeah the weaknesses are supposed to be significant hurdles. It's easier with some (i.e. Toreador) and harder with others (e.g. Lasombra). I'll probably burn a WP point here too.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    You would think Toreadors would invent some sort of blinders. "Follow the red light. Look at my eyes"

*sigh*

I imagine some wear something like that when going to museums or art galleries for that very reason. By your next action, or by Bulldog dragging you out(whichever comes first), you'll have snapped out of it.

wVEsyIc.png
    The group's route back to the vehicle will inevitably lead through the marketplace, unless they opt to take a much longer way around, as in walking an entire block.

wVEsyIc.png
    Danny is used to going the long way. He also likes what Lizzy said about splitting up to not draw so much attention. I have no objections to going with whatever the group decides though. Maybe one person goes to get the van and picks everyone else up nearby?

I agree with the long way too. I don't mind splitting up into two or three groups, but I'd rather stay within eyesight of each other, which may defeat the pirpose if splitting up. We probably draw some attention regardless.

Assuming we get out without incident, do we head for Deke's, or back to Elysium to report? Not sure if we have time tonight or wanted do more investigating/research.

Would we go back to the Elysian before we had any real info? Seems like we have "bad guys are coming" but not much more than that.

How are we going to investigate next? Do we need anything else from chinatown?

Staying together may give whatever's watching us slightly more pause, but I dunno.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    It's more than they knew at the beginning of the night. Before they just knew the Nosferatu had left New York en masse. Now they know that they had a fear of the arrival of something driving them.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    edited September 2016
    Any ideas on how to follow this lead further would be good.

So a couple ideas for next steps I had:
    Talk to Deke's Nos contact in case this info jogs a memory
    Do some occult research
    Go to elysium to report progress, see if we can generate more leads
    Go investigating underground? No idea where to go and we're probably screwed if we find anything anyway though.

Personally I prefer Elysium, but I may be missing ideas.

Boozer on
    At some point, I should probably check my contacts.

The group has around three hours at their disposal before sunrise, which would allow them to perform one more task after leaving the city before they have to go to ground.

wVEsyIc.png
    I'd rather avoid wandering around underground.

Preference is probably to see if contacts have any further info.