As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Voter Registration Assistance: A Judgement Free Zone

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello PA!

Elections are coming up this year and every state has a different set of equally confusing rules and regulations regarding voter registration.

This thread serves as a meeting place for anyone who needs help finding their voter office information, their state's rules, or how to make sure that your vote will count in November.

A few rules:

1) No politics. No talking about who you are voting for. No urging people to vote a certain way. No linking of partisan sites that "assist" with voting.

2) No judgement for knowledge or lack of knowledge about our voting system. We are here to help and only help!

3) No posts about how you are not voting because our system is run by snake people.

4) No civics or bureaucratic lectures on the election process itself.

The easiest way to figure out if you have already registered is to call your county voter board or office and just ask them to verify your current address and that you are registered. It takes three minutes tops.

Here are a few websites:

https://vote.usa.gov/
A federally operated web portal that will take you to your state's online registration if you have it.

http://www.canivote.org/
A web portal that will tell you if you are registered to vote in your state.

https://www.fvap.gov/citizen-voter
A web portal for Americans overseas and military members that wish to vote.

Register as early as you can. Many states have new voter deadlines.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread regarding voting and how to get registered to vote! Any and all questions are welcomed and encouraged.

Voters Assisted: 6

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Virginia Useful Info:

https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation - Find out if you're registered, where your polling place is, who are your current senators/representatives/etc

http://elections.virginia.gov/voter-outreach/whats-ballot.html - Find out what's on the ballot in upcoming elections and what days they are taking place

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnI25Pu19k

Hank Green set up a channel with 50+ videos explaining how to vote in each State/Territory

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Fuzzy FYI the FVAP portal applies to military residing in the U.S. as well.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    If you want a quick review of your state's voting policies and requirements, How To Vote In Every State has videos covering all 50 States, DC, expats, military personnel, and residents of US territories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnI25Pu19k

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    For those you prefer videos, Hank Green is heading a series of YouTube videos called How To Vote in Every State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8spm2Qh60U4

Check the channel and find your state: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7SMwipBlDwBPEwxq8QD8sw

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Quick question somebody might be able to help with. I moved states last year, and registered when I had my ID changed. I will be moving again next month, staying in the same state, but moving to a different suburb. Will I still be able vote at the location I am currently registered to or will I need to get the address on my ID changed to my new address and re register?

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Quick question somebody might be able to help with. I moved states last year, and registered when I had my ID changed. I will be moving again next month, staying in the same state, but moving to a different suburb. Will I still be able vote at the location I am currently registered to or will I need to get the address on my ID changed to my new address and re register?
    If you are switching to a new county, it depends on your state. Give your current county office a call and ask that question.

Some states require your license to match your new address. Others do not.

edited September 2016
    If you are switching to a new county, it depends on your state. Give your current county office a call and ask that question.

Same county, different city.

LostNinja on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Same county, different city.

a thing to consider is whether or not your state has a registration date limit and whether or not you will be able to vote if you change your registration too close to the election

might want to check with your registrar and see what your options will be since you know you'll be at a different address by election time

Okay, found an email address for election questions for my county I check with. My states voting website says I can register within 21 days to be pre registered or register the day of.

I don't mind going to my currently registered location if I'm still allowed to, it isn't that far away from my new location. I just didn't want to commit any type of fraud by doing so.

i'm not really sure of the legal issues with going to the place where you are currently registered even if you don't live there anymore, but i imagine it's at least frowned upon

edited September 2016
    Okay, looked it up. I can register day of at my new location with an ID that doesn't show my new address as long as I have a bill or copy of my lease with the address of my new location.

Edit:
    Chanus wrote: »
    i'm not really sure of the legal issues with going to the place where you are currently registered even if you don't live there anymore, but i imagine it's at least frowned upon

Yeah, I kind of assumed that too and had no intention of doing so without talking to someone official who told me it was okay first (I'd sooner not vote). My schedule for the next few weeks though made having a new ID with the correct address in time difficult.

LostNinja on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I recently moved from California to Texas, and have been staying at my parents' place. I have not yet officially become a state resident, as far as filling out any paperwork (I've forwarded my mail and changed my work address for tax purposes, but haven't registered my car or switched my driver's license or anything). On October 1st I'm moving into the place I'm going to be living for the next year, and that's when I plan to do all the official stuff. This second residence is in a different county.

I have no idea if I'm currently registered (I was in CA). I believe but am not sure that the deadline to register is October 11ish. I don't want to deal with this until I've moved, but I also don't want to, you know, fuck up and not vote.

On a scale of 1-10, how stupid am I being and what's the best way to do this less stupidly?

Secondarily, what's my registration deadline and is it the same state-wide?

This an awesome thread, thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If your mailing address is texas you are probably fine to register? I guess your polling place will be based off of where you register though, so that maybe a pain. The deadline is the 11th and I think its state wide.

We have stupid ID laws for the polls themselves, but its not all TX based, so I dont think you have to do your car stuff now:
    Bring one of the following. The ID must be current, or be expired for less than 4 years:

Texas driver license issued by the Department of Public Safety
    Texas election ID certificate
    Texas personal ID card
    Texas license to carry a handgun
    US military ID card with your photograph
    US citizenship certificate containing your photograph (doesn’t need to be current)
    US passport

If you don’t have any of these, you’ll need to (1) sign a sworn statement that there is a reason why you don’t have any of the IDs listed above, and (2) bring one of the following:

Valid voter registration certificate
    Certified birth certificate
    Current utility bill
    Government check
    Paystub or bank statement that includes your name and address
    Copy of or original government document with your name and an address (original required if it contains a photograph).

If you have a passport, you'll be fine, but its worth checking over this list. I've had issues using my fucking Maryland birth certificate before in DMV situations, so if you plan on using something else, make sure you have the right doc.

I have a birth certificate but nothing in the first list, so I guess I should get my license taken care of before the deadline.

Thanks for the info!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You know, they dont really specify but it might need to be a Texas birth certificate? If you dont get the drivers license you might want to get one of these: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/electionid.htm

But yeah, just getting your ID is probably the best bet. Don't be like me and live here for three years and not get you correct ID.

I used my out of state birth certificate to register to vote in Texas. Do not try same day provisional voting (which you do have the right to do). My vote got thrown out and my correct registration came several days later.

Astaereth wrote: »
    I recently moved from California to Texas, and have been staying at my parents' place. I have not yet officially become a state resident, as far as filling out any paperwork (I've forwarded my mail and changed my work address for tax purposes, but haven't registered my car or switched my driver's license or anything). On October 1st I'm moving into the place I'm going to be living for the next year, and that's when I plan to do all the official stuff. This second residence is in a different county.

I have no idea if I'm currently registered (I was in CA). I believe but am not sure that the deadline to register is October 11ish. I don't want to deal with this until I've moved, but I also don't want to, you know, fuck up and not vote.

On a scale of 1-10, how stupid am I being and what's the best way to do this less stupidly?

Secondarily, what's my registration deadline and is it the same state-wide?

This an awesome thread, thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

https://youtu.be/uTF5o-Ma1Yg

I definitely don't want to vote in California, Hedgie.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited September 2016
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I definitely don't want to vote in California, Hedgie.

Sorry, misread.

https://youtu.be/BWas4N2d-0E

Looks like the registration deadline is 10/9, so you should be good to go.

AngelHedgie on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Every time these guys hit me up I tell them I'm good but I also thank them for their service.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    http://www.votefromabroad.org

This is another site set up for voting from abroad as either an expat or military. It's an extension of Democrats Abroad, a political organization.

I'm more than happy to talk about either one if anybody is curious.

edited September 2016

(As much as I'm not a fan of Fight for the Future, they are a legitimate organization.)

AngelHedgie on
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    What email address am I supposed to send my scanned+signed voter registration pdf to for Washington DC?

Website says:
    "DC allows registration by email. To submit by email, click on the email button to generate a PDF of the application, print it, complete and sign it, scan it into your computer, then attach it to an email to your election administrator. "

...who is my election administrator? There is an email address for DC board of elections given as Director@DCBOEE.org, but it's not clear if this is the right address, and since they take a while getting back to you, I'd rather get it right the first time.

I am super braindead right now and want to do this asap but can't figure it out.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

(As much as I'm not a fan of Fight for the Future, they are a legitimate organization.)

Man, I hope they've got good security. I tried to do it but they couldn't process IL.

@credeiki
    I called the DC office. You need to email your form to
    dcregistrations@vote4dc.com
    or you can use the other one that you talked about.

Here is a confirmatory tweet.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @credeiki
    I called the DC office. You need to email your form to
    dcregistrations@vote4dc.com
    or you can use the other one that you talked about.

Here is a confirmatory tweet.

@Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud ahhhh thank you so much! Now I will be able to vote where I actually live!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Once you are registered, see when you can vote. Early voting has already begun in a few states, including Iowa. Closing times for polling places vary by state as well.

For early voting locations in Iowa, check Iowa Votes Early.com

Mayabird on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I was registered last year (Austin TX) but the website where I can search to see if I am still registered won't turn up anything. I think it has to do with the confusing Counties here in TX (Where, even though I live in the city, it isn't Austin County).

Is there any harm in attempting to register again? I have the form filled out and ready to mail but just wanna be sure.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Isn't Austin largely Travis county?

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If I'm an absentee is it too late to register? I know I registered for the primary (didn't vote, caucuses in my current state instead)

Or do I still have time?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    I mailed my registration form today so I should be good. Thanks for the help here.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Paladin you might still have time.

maybe 1 or 2 days left if you're abroad.

I'd look up on your state's Dep of Elections

Fake Edit: Or here, a link for you from Ballotpedia
    https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_in_Minnesota#Absentee_voting

"There are no eligibility requirements to vote absentee in Minnesota.[12]

There is no specific deadline for applying for an absentee ballot. A completed ballot must be returned on or before Election Day for it to be counted.[13]
    Early voting"

And you can Register to vote online here

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

There is no specific deadline for applying for an absentee ballot. A completed ballot must be returned on or before Election Day for it to be counted.[13]
    Early voting"

The problem is I've been living there for a year, but my driver's license and stuff is California as well as last year's tax stuff. I got the California ballot by mail but threw it away since I already voted.

Oh well, if it's close then I guess I should see if I'm still registered in California on Monday, then check minnesota

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    EDIT: ALSO, does anyone know if I can register to vote in NJ but still hold my TX state ID? It's hard for me to get to the DMV on time to get a new state ID but I definitely need to register to vote.

Crossposting for @Mim

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    @Mim
    call your local office and check
    I was able to use a TX ID to register in another state, I just needed secondary identification, which I used my passport.

Paladin wrote: »

Early voting"

The problem is I've been living there for a year, but my driver's license and stuff is California as well as last year's tax stuff. I got the California ballot by mail but threw it away since I already voted.

Oh well, if it's close then I guess I should see if I'm still registered in California on Monday, then check minnesota
    @Paladin
    Check with your local office. I was able to use an out of state ID to register in another state, I just needed secondary identification, which I used my passport.

I was registered last year (Austin TX) but the website where I can search to see if I am still registered won't turn up anything. I think it has to do with the confusing Counties here in TX (Where, even though I live in the city, it isn't Austin County).

Is there any harm in attempting to register again? I have the form filled out and ready to mail but just wanna be sure.
    @Local H Jay Go down to your local office and ask in person if they have you on record. Or call their office and ask. It is a super simple call and they can say yes/no much easier than the website can.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Got my new voter card!

Never bothered updating when we moved, but this seemed like a good year to do it...

MichaelLC on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also - a note on provisional ballots - they are generally thrown out UNLESS their total number would make a difference in one of the elections.

A note on Poll Watching:
    You may see poll watching volunteers from each party. They generally are there to just tally who has/hasn't voted to drive Get Out the Vote efforts on those who have not voted. They can also request challenges on any vote. If they appear to be intimidating voters or doing anything other than sitting quietly in a corner and occasionally talking to officials, call the FBI/DOJ at 1-800-253-3931. That leads to their civil rights division, and they'll have many on-call folks in many areas the day of voting. Also call the local opposition party (R or D), as they should have lawyers ready to go in terms of petitioning polling places directly to shut that shit down.