As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

research

docdocdocdoc Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in PAX Archive
Hi my name is Chris Groom and I am a student at Lancaster University on the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology course (email c.groom@lancs.ac.uk). I am doing a study into the effects of online game playing on lifestyle factors and general health in men aged 18-40, which involves filling in some questionnaires. All participation is voluntary and participants can withdraw from the study at any time. If you are a man in that age group who plays MMORPG’s regularly, and this sounds interesting please go to the following website for more details.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=99232690777

Many thanks, much appreciated
:D

docdoc on

• Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Welcome to the forums.

You're probably going to want to talk to Robert Khoo before you poll the forums for data. It's kinda frowned down on.

Here's his e-mail address. rkhoo@penny-arcade.com

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i suggest you rethink some of your questions .. . some lacked enough answers . . . there was atleast one that needed a "none of the above" and a few that needed Not applicable.

also towards the end of the study I got the distinct impression that you seem to think gamers want to kill themselves

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm pretty sure the exact same survey was posted on another forum I frequent about a year ago. That one included the ladies, or at least, they didn't specify it was a sausage-fest sort of thing.

I remember it being very poorly worded, if not down right biased, too.

Waz on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Chances are it's just another bot harvesting IPs and marketing data.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Chances are it's just another bot harvesting IPs and marketing data.

no its genuine and I can provide more info if you would like it

docdoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Waz wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the exact same survey was posted on another forum I frequent about a year ago. That one included the ladies, or at least, they didn't specify it was a sausage-fest sort of thing.

I remember it being very poorly worded, if not down right biased, too.

maybe similar imstruments were used but this is an original study and I cam give youy more info if you would like it

docdoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    i suggest you rethink some of your questions .. . some lacked enough answers . . . there was atleast one that needed a "none of the above" and a few that needed Not applicable.

also towards the end of the study I got the distinct impression that you seem to think gamers want to kill themselves

hi most of the the questions come in as standarised "instruments" I can't play around woth the ansers as it affects their integrity

as to me thinking that gamers wanting to kill themselves - not at all

docdoc on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Have you talked to Khoo yet?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    docdoc wrote:
    hi most of the the questions come in as standarised "instruments" I can't play around woth the ansers as it affects their integrity

alright let me give you an example of a question that needs to to be rethought. i don't recall the exact questions or the exacts answers but i can appoximate them enough to make my point.

do you or have you taken medication for such and such condition
    yes/no

if yes when did you start taking this medication?
    10-20
    20-30
    30-40
    40-50

are you taking this medication now?
    yes/no

if not when did you stop?
    10-20
    20-30
    30-40
    40-50

each of these last three questions required me to answer them regardles of how i answered the yes/no qustions.

if i answered no to the first question i still had to answer the second question. if your not going to program the survey to ignore such questions when applicable then you need to include the answer not applicable to the end of those questions. not doing so affects the integrity of the entire survey.

ass

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yes - fixed that

docdoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006