As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] of Lovecraft: West Victory!

ElendilElendil Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Prologue:

I was the fourth doctor to travel to Bolton in the hopes of stopping the plague that had swept over the town. The first had himself died of the illness; the second fled, claiming there was nothing that could be done. The third vanished.

The doctor who left claimed it was a particularly stubborn form of cholera, one that wouldn't respond to any of our treatments or preventative measures. My own researches have led me to the same conclusion. The town had largely fallen into decay. The population had dwindled to fewer than fifty; most of those that could leave had done so and those left behind were dying off.

As with any plague like this, suspicions about the "real" cause were many. Church services were always full, as the town gathered to hear sermons of fire and brimstone and uttered prayers of repentance. I was resented wherever I went--I labored vainly, and each night and day, more died. Some of the more paranoid among them turned their suspicions toward their neighbors--rumors of poisons spread around Bolton. The classic New England fear of witchcraft was back in full force. I heard not a few half-remembered tales of Satanic cults and eldritch rites.

The suspicions threatened to tear the town apart as much as the plague itself. Malice hung in the air like a miasma.

Perhaps the town was indeed beyond saving.

My notes were gone.

The past few days had proven fruitful, as I began to uncover the reasons behind my difficulty--there had indeed been at least some murders. I found more and more signs of poison. The village's paranoia had perhaps not been misplaced. I meant to keep my findings to myself until I could definitively find the solution, fearing the potential explosion that revelation would bring about. I feared that confirmation of the village's suspicions would cause what was now just tension, to escalate into full-blown violence.

It seemed that it was too late now. My notes were stolen--they had to have been--and my fears would come true.

Rules:

Each night, the village votes someone for execution, e.g. I !vote for Elendil. Retractions are not necessary. You can retract votes; it's just not required if you're simply changing your vote. If you want to retract, but don't want to vote again right away, that's fine.

Only certain forms of death will reveal a player's role and affiliation. Other players' will remain unknown until you exhume the body. To exhume a body, vote for a dead player (e.g. I! vote for Elendil). Exhumation will reveal role, affiliation, and cause of death.

Voting closes at 10 PM EST (all role actions must also be in by that time).

A tied execution vote is RNGed.
In a tied exhumation vote, the last vote wins.

No anonymous contacting, sharing of role PMs is okay (as they will be public anyway so who gives a fuck).

If for some reason, you find it necessary to drop out of the game, PM your intentions to Elendil.

All players got villager PMs.

There are six cultists, three in each cult.

Request clarifications as usual, e.g. Clarification: etc.

Player List:

1. B:L
2. DasUberEdward
3. gundam470
4. Romantic Undead
5. DevoutlyApathetic
6. IreneDAdler
7. MrBallbaggins
8. Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
9. Fluffy, Our Beloved Flopsy Bunny Friend
10. Satan Himself
11. Smasher
12. LaOs
13. Plutonium - Cultist of the Church of Starry Wisdom
14. Brainleech
15. Lady Eri
16. Raakam
17. FreeAgent
18. evilbob
19. TheFallenLord
20. cheez
21. TehSpectre
22. zanmatto
23. Picardathon
24. Richy
25. Medopine
26. Variable
27. Last Son
28. hesthefastest
29. James
30. Saburbia
31. Aldo
32. PRËTËNTIÖüS
33. durax
34. Qorzm
35. DarkPrimus - Cultist of the Esoteric order of Dagon
36. cj iwakura
37. KrunkMcGrunk - Cultist of the Esoteric Order of Dagon
38. chamberlain
39. Quid - Cultist of the Church of Starry Wisdom
40. Zot

Clarifications:

No vote retracts necessary.
Inactivity is at my discretion. Don't make a habit of non-participation.

Action order:

"Passive" abilities
Cultist sabotage*
Execution
Cultist Killings
Searcher, Arsonist, Revenant, Necromancer

*Cultist death methods are slow. If the last cultist of one group is killed, the last kill will still go through.

Exhumed players are officially removed from the game.

Night 1: Narration, Update
Night 2: Narration/Update
Night 3: Update
Night 4: Narration/update
Night 5: Narration, Update
Night 6: Update
Night 7: Narration, Update
Night 8: Narration, Update
Night 9: Narration/Update

Elendil on

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Roles:

Aligned with Village:
    ...a Villager, consarnit!

You don't care what that "educated" doctor claims, your neighbor is responsible for all of it! It's bad enough he never returns your tools. Or maybe it was demons. Yeah, that's it. Demons from beyond the stars. But what if your neighbors are demons? That's it! You've had it up to here with some god-damned-space-demons-masquerading-as-your-no-good-son-of-a-bitch-neighbor. Somebody has to die tonight. Somebody with some tools that don't belong to him...
    ...the Drunk!

Ah, alcohol. The best medicine. The cure for high standards, unattractiveness, and wife-left-me-itis. If what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, your liver must be some kind of badass. You can take in just about any toxin without succumbing. Too bad your immune system is a slacker. You are friends with the Guy That Never Washes His Hands, [...]. You know he's not a bad guy.
    ...the Guy That Never Washes His Hands!

That is gross. That is a disgusting habit. On the plus side, you've been exposed to just about every pathogen to ever exist. Your immune system is brawny. You're the one guy who's not afraid of all this disease claptrap. Of course, that doesn't rule out the possibility of poison. But still though... god, that's gross. No wonder your only friend is the town Drunk, [...]. He couldn't hurt a fly...like that one that just landed on your meal. You're not going to eat that, are---ugh!
    ...an Arsonist!

You like to burn things. Some would say that's your solution to everything. You would say it hasn't been wrong yet. So set some dudes' houses on fire.

That's pretty much it. That's your role.

On odd-numbered nights, PM Elendil the name of the individual whose house you would like to set on fire.
    ...an Arsonist!

You like to burn things. Some would say that's your solution to everything. You would say it hasn't been wrong yet. So set some dudes' houses on fire.

That's pretty much it. That's your role.

On even-numbered nights, PM Elendil the name of the individual whose house you would like to set on fire.
    ...the Gravedigger's Son!

Fucking hell, you hate your dad. Always on your ass about this, or that, and now he's got you digging up corpses? What the hell? God, what a douche. Just a little bit longer until you're totally running away from this hick town.

While you're alive, the second place winner of the exhumation vote will also be exhumed. You may also PM Elendil to defend yourself against either poison or disease.
    ...the Watcher!

Are the actions of the village a little extreme? Of course not! In fact, they don't go far enough! You vow to catch one of these miserable bastards in an ambush if it's the last thing you do. You vow to become...the Dark Knight of Bolton.

You may observe another player for signs of an attack (PM Elendil). If that player is attacked, you will charge in and intervene--you won't be able to save them, but you'll kill the bastard that tried to kill them. Of course, this is dangerous work, and your luck will run out at the second intervention, sacrificing your life in the process. If you're attacked, you will kill your attacker (but you'll be unable to save your own life). If you're bandwagoned, you will kill one random person that voted for you.

The cultists, being far more secretive and subtle than you give them credit for, will completely avoid your notice.
    ...a Searcher!

Horrified by the brutal slayings, you join the search for the bestial creatures. Your own armament is meager, but it will do the job. You refuse to sit around waiting for your gruesome death. Twice in the game you may PM Elendil to kill the player of your choice.
    ...the Illuminati Necromancer!

Dedicating your life to protecting humanity against the horrors of what lies beyond the curtains of the earthly realm, you have come to this town to eradicate the re-emergence of the cults of the old gods, by either protecting the innocent, or destroying the insane.

Each even night, PM Elendil the name of the individual other than yourself who you wish to defend, and on each odd night, PM Elendil the name of the individual you will kill. However, should you be investigated or killed, your collection of occult objects will undoubtedly raise questions, and you may be mistaken for one of the cultists you hunt.
    ...an Unknown Special!

Yeah, you're special. How? I dunno. Well, I do. You don't. You have a role not yet introduced into the game. You will receive another PM when it is. Tease.

Cultists:
    ...a Cultist of the Church of Starry Wisdom!

That Nyarlathotep can put one hell of a light show. You had to get in on that, so you joined his church and became knowledgeable in the arcane art of alchemy--with a particular interest in the workings of poison. You are a remnant of the "disbanded" Church of Starry Wisdom in Providence, Rhode Island. Pfft. Like that's ever stopped you. Now you've arrived in town with the noble task of eradicating everyone, like the vermin they are.

You even have help from a fellow cult: the Esoteric Order of Dagon, formerly based in Innsmouth.

The Cultists of the Church of Starry Wisdom are [...].
    The Cultists of the Esoteric Order of Dagon are [...].

Win condition: The total number of cultists (regardless of particular cult affiliation) must outnumber the survivng villagers.

As a cult, you may decide on one player to kill (via poison). PM your choice to Elendil prior to vote close. Other role mechanics may be added as the game progresses.
    ...a Cultist of the Esoteric Order of Dagon!

So your dad may have fucked a mermaid. And not one of the hot ones, either. Try not to think about it too hard. Nevertheless, you have the totally sweet advantage of eternal life. And all you need to do to have it is shamble around and worship the Elder God. That's doable. Oh, and infect everyone with horrible disease. That's doable too. You'll even get help from a fellow cult: the Church of Starry Wisdom.

The Cultists of the Esoteric Order of Dagon are [...].
    The Cultists of the Church of Starry Wisdom are [...].

Win condition: The total number of cultists (regardless of particular cult affiliation) must outnumber the survivng villagers.

As a cult, you may decide on one player to kill (via plague). PM your choice to Elendil prior to vote close. Other role mechanics may be added as the game progresses.

Solo Faction:
    ...Herbert West!

The rebel doctor that breaks all the rules, Dr. Hou--er Dr. West. You've got a cure for death. It just needs testing. Lots and lots of testing. You need corpses. Lots and lots of corpses. So you volunteered to "help" this plague-ridden town. I suppose it's not altogether moral, but this is for science.

Your role's existence will remain hidden for several days.

You possess a veritable cornucopia of abilities:

Immunity to both poison and disease: Because you're not just a doctor. You're a good one.

A revolver: If you get attacked (cultist attacks not included) you strike back in self-defense. That'll learn'em to mess with you. If you get voted off, well, you're still screwed, but you don't go alone. You have six shots.*

*Don't jump to conclusions. You'll fire all six shots at once. Herbert West doesn't half-ass things.

The reagent: Ah, here it is. The chemical that can bring back the dead. Sure, it has a few kinks to work out (like the whole mindless monster thing) but these things take time. You may use this to revive a dead player as a Revenant. There are limitations, however.

The syringe: This lets you immediately convert a living player to a revenant.

Win condition: Living villagers are outnumbered by revenants, West survives.

Neutral Faction:
    ...a Revenant!

...A Revenant? Who says death had to be a constant? You are a corpse revived by one Dr. Herbert West. You are effectively still dead (no posting and no contact with other players!) but you may kill one player each night. If your corpse is exhumed, the village will find an empty grave and catch on to your existence--you will be publically revealed as a revenant. You have only one instinct--to kill, particularly the abominable Creator, Dr. West.

As a revenant, you have separate win conditions: in order to win, you must either outnumber the villagers at the close of the game (West must be dead), or a revenant must personally kill Herbert West.

Elendil on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I !vote for Elendil

Quid on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    !Vote DA he's obviously evil

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My Elendil bandwagon will totally beat yours.

Quid on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goddamnit, viruses and I don't get along well. :x

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I !Vote for Zot
    based on his double posting.

Picardathon on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Woah, this is gonna be hard.

Medopine on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    B:L wrote: »
    Goddamnit, viruses and I don't get along well. :x
    <3

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Woah, this is gonna be hard.

!Vote Medopine

Your resistance only makes it harder.

edited November 2007
    Ew!

Medopine on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Countdown to someone coming up with the "Who didn't get the villager PM?" plan in 5... 4...

Smasher on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So... who's side are the arsonists on anyway? Or are they just some ambiguous pyrophilic third party?

Picardathon on
    edited November 2007
    So... who's side are the arsonists on anyway? Or are they just some ambiguous pyrophilic third party?
    Village.

Elendil on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Who didn't get the vanillager PM?

Is Zot the seer?

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
    edited November 2007
    Raakam wrote: »

Is Zot the seer?
    This post makes my evilometer go off the scale, Raakam.

P10 on
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I'm vanilla again. I don't mind if I get offed at all, all I ever do is accurately call out the bad guys. In fact, MacSpectre should take me under his wing as apprentice detective. Maybe as Raak P.I. or something. Time to try and photoshop a Tom Selleck mustache on Captain Falcon.

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Picardathon's apparent inability to read the OP makes me go !vote Picardathon. Last time I mistook Rakaam's evilness for stupidity, and now I know better.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Picardathon's apparent inability to read the OP makes me go !vote Picardathon. Last time I mistook Rakaam's evilness for stupidity, and now I know better.

I think Elendil might have edited those in there after Picardathon asked the question.

Smasher on
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We shall preserve and be victorious, as always.

Lady Eri on
    edited November 2007

Is Zot the seer?

In the OP

Medopine on
    edited November 2007
    Smasher wrote: »

I think Elendil might have edited those in there after Picardathon asked the question.
    Yeah.

Elendil on
    edited November 2007
    Clarification: What's the dealio with retractions?

edited November 2007
    Oh, I'm vanilla again. I don't mind if I get offed at all, all I ever do is accurately call out the bad guys. In fact, MacSpectre should take me under his wing as apprentice detective. Maybe as Raak P.I. or something. Time to try and photoshop a Tom Selleck mustache on Captain Falcon.
    Getting defensive while at the same time saying you "don't mind getting offed", wrapped in a MacSpectre joke morsel. How deliciously evil of you.

P10 on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Getting defensive while at the same time saying you "don't mind getting offed", wrapped in a MacSpectre joke morsel. How deliciously evil of you.

Clearly, he is one of THEM!!!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited November 2007
    B:L wrote: »
    Clarification: What's the dealio with retractions?
    I'll just count your last one. No need to retract.

Elendil on
    edited November 2007

Is Zot the seer?

In the OP

Yes Medopine, I know. Sarcasm is hard on intarweb forums.

And Umlauts, if I were evil, I'd be coming up with reasons right now why we should vote for you. Instead, I'm tired, I have to get up at 5:30am tomorrow (again) and I'm hoping we win the Star Trek mini phalla.

I'm amazed Zot doesn't have 14 votes against him already!

Raakam on
    My padherder
    edited November 2007
    And then dismissing my argument and "leaving" while somehow claiming you are innocent because you aren't trying to off me (which would just be getting more defensive and digging a deeper evil hole) with more jokes involved.

This is fun.

P10 on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    !Vote Raakam because you seem shifty.

Satan. on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Is Zot the seer?

In the OP

Yes Medopine, I know. Sarcasm is hard on intarweb forums.

And Umlauts, if I were evil, I'd be coming up with reasons right now why we should vote for you. Instead, I'm tired, I have to get up at 5:30am tomorrow (again) and I'm hoping we win the Star Trek mini phalla.

I'm amazed Zot doesn't have 14 votes against him already!

You could try voting for him, at least.

LaOs on
    edited November 2007
    And then dismissing my argument and "leaving" while somehow claiming you are innocent because you aren't trying to off me (which would just be getting more defensive and digging a deeper evil hole) with more jokes involved.

This is fun.

Alright Drez, you can log off Marx's account and let him be retarded all on his own... here though, Raakam can die if it makes you happy.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    edited November 2007
    Voting for yourself is a nice touch. Definitely convinces me that you really don't care if you die because you are a villager.

P10 on
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

Yeah.

Oh. >.>

Ok, well, !vote Pretentious. He's being a meanie-head.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Haven't seen a real bandwagon spring up this fast in a while.

Is anyone here a mormon? I just had one knock on my door a few minutes ago and I want my revenge.

Smasher on
    edited November 2007
    Haven't seen a real bandwagon spring up this fast in a while.

Is anyone here a mormon? I just had one knock on my door a few minutes ago and I want my revenge.
    I hear Raakam is a Mormon. He was actually the one at your door.

Satan. on
    edited November 2007
    I'm actually two Mormons.

And off to bed. Let's see where this will be tomorrow morning.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    edited November 2007
    I'm actually two Mormons.
    I knew you were shifty!

Satan. on
    edited November 2007
    And off to bed. Let's see where this will be tomorrow morning.
    Please continue beating us over the head with how much you don't care if you get voted off. It's amusing.

P10 on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zot wrote: »
    !Vote DA he's obviously evil
    Wrong subforum.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited November 2007
    Oh. >.>

Ok, well, !vote Pretentious. He's being a meanie-head.

Yeah, one Drez-type argument is enough to last a while. I don't want to see another one here. :|

!Vote Pretentious

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    and we're off to the bandwagon races...

wait, why does everything look so grey?

vote raakam

chamberlain on