As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Tower

ashephard2003ashephard2003 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Critical Failures
Hey guys,

I posted awhile back about a DnD 3.5 campaign set in the 1200's. Well, it's going well. Well, was.

I lost interest in the campaign when I read the recently released Marvel version of the Dark Tower (I have read the books too). I see a lot of potential for a campaign in the worlds of the tower. The only problem is, I can't figure out which system would be best, or how to gather together all of the data found in the worlds. I hear that the "Complete Concordance" has pretty good stuff in it, and I'm going to pick it up, but do any of you guys know any other sources for Dark Tower info?

ashephard2003 on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've said the same thing a couple times -- The Dark Tower books are awesome and pretty fantastic, a unique sort of setting -- but then I started to wonder if the setting was really so awesome or if it were Roland his ka-tet that made it seem that way. I mean, the thousand-year-old gunslinger is something of a uniquety, yeah?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I thought that Roland and his two ka-tets were a large part of the main story. I was thinking of setting the campaign earlier on, during the battles you hear of between the Affiliation (Gilead) and the Good Man, before the fall of the gunslingers and the world moving on. Like the flashback in Wizard and Glass.

ashephard2003 on
  • Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Honestly, it's the characters that make the series. The setting itself, while interesting, would probably fall flat without Roland and his crew running around.

PsychoCucumber on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    On the other hand, it could still be fun to play a group of young gunslingers. :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really don't find the setting all that interesting, though admittedly, I'm only about 2/3rds of the way through book 4.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, here's what I was thinking:

Since I have a large party (6 people), I figure it would be best to place them either on the path of a class of gunslingers about to graduate (the trial that Roland faced). It's that or start them as a group that are drawn by a gunslinger, maybe Roland (leaving out Mr. Dean, Ms. Walker, Jake, and Oy). I think it would be interesting to bring them into Mid-World with the allowance that they can then fully meta-game. Any knowledge they have would be applicable, including prior firearms training (none of the group have ever read this series, if you didn't see my above post). From there they could free-form the campaign, with ka (a.k.a. the DM) directing the results of their actions.

ashephard2003 on