As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I mean its really sort of a choice you have to make. On which side are you willing to give up something?

Because you do have to give up something no matter the choice you make. You can always just Dual Boot.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah, I transitioned completely a couple years ago. I really don't mind it at all, but I'm also a really cheap gamer. So you'll see me put down money for FTL and Shadowrun and such, not so much the big AAA titles.

And yeah, if I really need to play one, I have a PS4.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I also intend on voting with my wallet. When I see a Linux port of a AAA that interests me, I plan on paying full price to show that there's a market.

Keepin' my fingers crossed that the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Linux rumors are true. :D

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Just stopping by to say that I'm very happy with my decision to switch our servers from Arch to Ubuntu LTS.

Yay, stability!

Uh, yeah. Arch is not for servers, brah.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Speaking of Arch for stuff/development, would it be okay for use as a web development environment if the apps were being deployed to Debian? I currently have Manjaro installed (and love it), but would like to put Debian or Ubuntu on my Linode server

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Yeah, Arch is fine as a development environment, provided you're willing to put the time in to maintain it.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I've been running Lubuntu on my home server for a while and really enjoy it, it's very stable, and does everything I ask without any issue.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Speaking of Arch for stuff/development, would it be okay for use as a web development environment if the apps were being deployed to Debian? I currently have Manjaro installed (and love it), but would like to put Debian or Ubuntu on my Linode server

If you're deploying to Debian, just run Debian?

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

If you're deploying to Debian, just run Debian?

My PC is a bit of a mess. Couldn't get Xubuntu to install on it. Manjaro is already on it, and I don't feel like fucking with it further :shrug:

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Yo. I have fully transitioned to Linux, but honestly, I also have a PS4, so if I can't get a game on Steam, it's likely there. WINE has historically had a pretty hit or miss success rate, but last I looked, it couldn't do anything DX11+ and had major trouble with 64bit games. For me, that notably meant Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 were both PS4 purchases, even though I'd have preferred KBAM for the former and 60FPS for the latter.

Dunno about VR on Linux. VR doesn't interest me at all.

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm stuck. Stuff like DS3 I'd really prefer to pick up for PC, but I do have a PS4 now and I suppose I can just buy the AAA games on that. It also means I can play multiplayer with a buddy of mine who lives a fair distance away. There's also PSVR coming, so that's always an option.

Hmm. What a quandary...

Apparently virtual machine GPU pass through is now a thing. I haven't played with it but some people on Reddit were talking it up.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Yo. I have fully transitioned to Linux, but honestly, I also have a PS4, so if I can't get a game on Steam, it's likely there. WINE has historically had a pretty hit or miss success rate, but last I looked, it couldn't do anything DX11+ and had major trouble with 64bit games. For me, that notably meant Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 were both PS4 purchases, even though I'd have preferred KBAM for the former and 60FPS for the latter.

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm stuck. Stuff like DS3 I'd really prefer to pick up for PC, but I do have a PS4 now and I suppose I can just buy the AAA games on that. It also means I can play multiplayer with a buddy of mine who lives a fair distance away. There's also PSVR coming, so that's always an option.

Hmm. What a quandary...

Apparently virtual machine GPU pass through is now a thing. I haven't played with it but some people on Reddit were talking it up.

I asked a friend who is a die hard Linux gamer about this a while back. First, you need two graphics cards (one can be onboard) and two monitors, because pass through requires the whole card to itself. Then there's a ton of configuration. Then you pray that the VM doesn't blue screen while you're gaming, because if it does you have to hard reboot. Also I seem to remember something about a 10% performance penalty? I might be making that part up.

His description of the affair was sufficient to kill my enthusiasm before I got started.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Hmm. What a quandary...

I asked a friend who is a die hard Linux gamer about this a while back. First, you need two graphics cards (one can be onboard) and two monitors, because pass through requires the whole card to itself. Then there's a ton of configuration. Then you pray that the VM doesn't blue screen while you're gaming, because if it does you have to hard reboot. Also I seem to remember something about a 10% performance penalty? I might be making that part up.

His description of the affair was sufficient to kill my enthusiasm before I got started.

That's good to know. I'm not even sure I'm interested in trying it anymore. I think I need to nuke my current Arch install on my laptop from orbit and start again, now that I know what I'm doing to a certain extent. I made some mistakes when I installed Steam and now I'd like to have another run at it with the knowledge of what I did wrong. Unfortunately, doing that means I might as well blow the entire install away because I installed so much cruft I have no idea what to get rid of and what to keep.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

Hmm. What a quandary...

That's good to know. I'm not even sure I'm interested in trying it anymore. I think I need to nuke my current Arch install on my laptop from orbit and start again, now that I know what I'm doing to a certain extent. I made some mistakes when I installed Steam and now I'd like to have another run at it with the knowledge of what I did wrong. Unfortunately, doing that means I might as well blow the entire install away because I installed so much cruft I have no idea what to get rid of and what to keep.

Next time I use Steam on Linux, I'm probably gonna use Docker. It completely side steps all the issues with games requiring specific versions of libraries that may not be installed out-of-the-box on not-Ubuntu.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Hmm. What a quandary...

Next time I use Steam on Linux, I'm probably gonna use Docker. It completely side steps all the issues with games requiring specific versions of libraries that may not be installed out-of-the-box on not-Ubuntu.

Looks interesting. I'll have to give it a little more of a look before I nuke from orbit.

EDIT: Is there a WM available yet that only uses Wayland?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

Hmm. What a quandary...

I gotta start using docker for environment setup, it sounds really cool.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Anyone have any good resources (preferably online but nooks are OK too) for Linux security?

I've got a lot of the basics down, but lack experience and want to be as prepared as possible.

I'm looking for anything that could be helpful from checklists of things to do when you get access to a system for the first time or know you need to fix/secure/defend, examples of common vulnerabilities, suspicious process or file examples, possible backdoors. Stuff like that.

Fraz on
    Depends on the level of security they want, etc.

Like if they're super paranoid, the answer is "format the disk and install OpenBSD". For most systems it will be "sudo apt-get/yum/etc upgrade" to get the latest packages and pray that nothing breaks too terribly.

Most semi-modern distros have all the really bad stuff (unsecured telnet, etc) turned off out of the box, so all there really is to do on the admin end is make sure the stuff you do have turned on is up to date and using a secure configuration (authentication on, good encryption, etc) if it is facing the network.

The problem with the question is "security" isn't an end-point. One does not achieve "security". True security is a set of human policies and processes for constantly monitoring for potential threats, schedules for updates to mitigate new and yet unknown exploits, controlling access to resources, and recovery plans and strategies for when you get targeted despite all your security.

So, uh, I dunno. Maybe start with PCI guidelines and work from there?

To clarify, this is a blue team exercise for school that I'm getting ready for.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    So is the machine coming to you with known vulnerabilities?

You might want to look at the RHCSA/RHCE material and focus on the Security stuff. That might be helpful.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Entaru wrote: »
    So is the machine coming to you with known vulnerabilities?

You might want to look at the RHCSA/RHCE material and focus on the Security stuff. That might be helpful.

Yeah that's most likely the case. It will probably have known vulns and possibly already be compromised.

Thanks for the replies

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    My cubox i4 openelec box chewed its Sd card again

WHY YOU DO THIS

elementary os is really nice

Fraz wrote: »

What is so great about it? It's been on radar but I've never tried it.

Fraz wrote: »

What is so great about it? It's been on radar but I've never tried it.

The design somehow feels minimal, consistent, fast ans modern at the same time. I find it difficult to find all of those things in a DE. It's ubuntu based which is what I'm comfortable with, but seems to have smoothed out some of the issues I'm having with Ubuntu GNOME (or hides them better).

I threw it up on a Virtualbox, but will probably put it on my Thinkpad.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Tried eos and it seems like gnome-shell without the stuff I don't like but it's just to framey on my low-spec laptop.

Anyone here running Ubuntu and regularly doing distro upgrades?

I remember that was super broken about 5 years ago and I would routinely just do a clean install when I wanted to upgrade my distro. Has that gotten better?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not much

still takes a piss all over your boot stuff, hope you gave your boot partition like 20 gigs

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited September 2016
    That's a total bummer.

I'm been in Mac land too long, I now expect OS updates to be painless. The concept of having to backup all my data, do a fresh install to upgrade the distro and then restore has exactly zero appeal to me.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited September 2016
    That's a total bummer.

I'm been in Mac land too long, I know expect OS updates to be painless. The concept of having to backup all my data, do a fresh install to upgrade the distro and then restore has exactly zero appeal to me.

Fedora has been a pretty seamless upgrade for me. The package manager can even roll back to previous versions of the distro; I was once on the beta channel and accidentally missed the release window. Getting to the release version was a surprisingly non-terrible experience. I hardly use my dedicated Linux partition though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Other than that, putting /home on it's own partition makes upgrading and distro switching way less of a pain.
    As long as you use the exact same user name when switching distros, that is. :wink:

Frem on
    I want to like you, KDE Plasma, but you have so many weird quirks and broken behaviors. :P

I'm now on lxqt again, and just wondering what the point is when I could be running Openbox on it's own.

KDE is gross.

Yeah, but I wanted to dip my toe into the QT side of things, since GTK is pretty much Gnome-centric these days and I don't like the way they keep breaking themes.

What are people using for Linux laptops these days?

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    What are people using for Linux laptops these days?

I'm using an ASUS N550J, pretty happy with it, been dual-booting, using the touch screen, all of it. Fantastic field laptop for me.

My boss has been ordering System76 laptops for people. They specifically make their laptops for Linux, they even pre-load Ubuntu on there for you, and add their driver repo. They're pretty nice laptops, though I like mine slightly more.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    How is Linux in general on higher DPI displays? I've been spoiled by the Mac Retina displays.

From what I've read it's OK if you stay within the Gnome apps on recent versions. But it varies widely from program to program.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Thinking about getting an HP Chromebook to turn into a light and fast Linux laptop, I'd probably run Lubuntu.

Any opinions?

Thinking about getting an HP Chromebook to turn into a light and fast Linux laptop, I'd probably run Lubuntu.

Any opinions?

I use GalliumOS on my Acer C720.