As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Golem's Resurrected thread of art-ombies

GolemGolem of SandSaint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
edited September 2016 in Artist's Corner
Hi been gone awhile from the forums just started coming back, also started working on my art again. I hadn't really picked up a pencil in nearly 4 years and over the last few months I've been driven to draw again. I have a sickeningly long way to go to get anywhere. I'm also working on getting a proper scanner hopefully these pics will give you guys a place to help me improve and move from here.

2011-04-2721-11-15763.jpg
2011-11-2003-36-27104.jpg

some webcomicy designs really just got me started doodling and let me vent my frustrations at getting stuck in a fast food job.

These two are my latest creations

IMG_20120201_010248.jpg
here is the reference for this drawing
spoony-headshot2.jpg
IMG_20120201_112534.jpg

these are some of my older drawings

2011-11-2003-50-02692.jpg
2011-11-2003-51-40373.jpg
2011-11-2003-52-09856.jpg
2011-11-2003-50-50710.jpg
2011-11-2003-50-19337.jpg

Golem on

• Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Saved spot for posting of future works

comparison.jpg

Golem on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    comparison2.jpg

Edit: Was really hoping to get some advice or critics

Golem on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Your cartoons are OK, but when you try to draw more realistically you seem to have more trouble.

Luckily, if you keep drawing from life (people/faces/still-lifes) you will improve your realistic drawing as well as your cartoons. Your first mistake is the most common one, and that's drawing not what you see, but what you know. I don't need to look at this nose, I already know what noses look like! Nope! Something like an ear/nose/lips/eye and incredibly complex to draw realistically, and the only way to do so successfully, is to forget what you think you know, and begin practicing them by breaking them down into simple shapes. This will help you understand drawing things that take up actual 3D space and not just flat cut outs.

If you're not gonna take classes for it, you'll just need to practice a hell of a lot, and maybe buy a few books here and there for pointers. I'm sure there's a few forumers that can recommend some good ones to start with.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Your first mistake is the most common one, and that's drawing not what you see, but what you know. I don't need to look at this nose, I already know what noses look like! Nope! Something like an ear/nose/lips/eye and incredibly complex to draw realistically, and the only way to do so successfully, is to forget what you think you know, and begin practicing them by breaking them down into simple shapes. This will help you understand drawing things that take up actual 3D space and not just flat cut outs.

First off, thank you very much for taking the time to look over my work, I REALLY appreciate it ^_^

Could you by chance recommend a book or point me in an example of the shapes break down. When I googled it I got mostly over all body stuff, which is good and I saved for reference but, some examples to backwards engineer would be awesome.

IMG_20120216_203327.jpg

Golem on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    hey no prob

Again, I am just not the best to chime in here about anatomy, since I am pretty bad at it, but I have some of the Burne Hogarth books. His name is pretty awesome, but his books are too. I have one on anatomy and another one on Light and shade. They were not that expensive, and I did not regret purchasing.

I find them kinda overwhelming, but they do a good job of showing how things break down into shapes. They also have a lot of advanced stuff like drawing muscles and things.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Here is my first post for my draw everyday resolution thread, which I joined this week.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22205401#Comment_22205401

thumbnails below

th_IMG_20120217_1616279.jpg
    th_IMG_20120218_012303.jpg
    th_IMG_20120216_203327.jpg

IMG_20120218_113732-1.jpg

I thought drawing the medical anatomy of a nose before trying to break down shapes may help. I'm just going to continue doing my shape studies on anatomy for awhile.

Golem on
  • Options
    Golem wrote: »
    Finallly! This thread was giving me error msgs all day long!!

Been working on shading objects and drawing parts on the human face.

th_IMG_20120303_135059.jpg
    th_IMG_20120227_114158.jpg
    th_IMG_20120303_014823.jpg
    th_IMG_20120303_014829.jpg
    th_IMG_20120303_014836.jpg
    th_IMG_20120303_014845.jpg
    th_IMG_20120303_014850.jpg

• Options
    Okie well this is going to break down into a two groups, Storyboard sketches and Art doodles. Im going to be setting up some real still life that Im going to take my time on. Please feel free to critic anything on the art doodles, the storyboarding I'd like critics on scene selection and framing / paneling type stuff.

Storyboards:

hr0IjsZ.jpg
    EzWDqnW.jpg
    N7wHY9L.jpg
    Reference for 9.19.16 (and 9.20.16)
    ENvGyIM.jpg
    Revision of 9.19.16 (9.20.16)
    d1286eU.jpg

Doodles!

Emq7IRM.jpg?2
    OJoySmJ.jpg?1
    HbcMinR.jpg?1

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Welcome back! I just came back like a couple months ago after a few years of hiatus too so we are pretty much in the same boat

I am not worthy of criticizing your works so I will just be rooting for you instead heh

• Options
    @Peas Thanks! I'll be rooting for you as well!

Before I head to bed...this damn pose-able figure...that damn cleft in the chest...I can't seem to get it right.
    KGtVnWM.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Try to resize your images before posting them on the forum these are a bit large. They are also pretty dark and at angles. Buy a scanner or put your work flat, light it , and shoot from directly above. Trying to critique dark, blurry slanted drawings always makes me feel like "if they don't care, why should I spend the time to write something up?"

I suggest you start walking back a bit and do some simple shapes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqGkHWC5IU

Proko has great, easy to follow videos. The Draw a box link at the top of peas post is also a good resource. If you want to see more improvement in your work, starting with the absolute basics is the way to go. You want to begin understanding all the underlaying principals that are holding you back.

• Options
    I will work on buying a scanner. Sorry. Thank you for your advice.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    No worries friend. If you put your drawing flat on the ground with decent light and stand above them, you can usually get a good shot. I usually shoot things on my desk, if I'm just taking a photo.

• Options
    If you have no actual scanner like me check out apps like camscanner and genius scan for your phone, its really handy

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I'll be picking up a scanner on friday, I will also check out those apps. This is my last ghetto post my daily story boarding effort. I also started drawing a bunch of lines, as per this reddit learn to draw course I found via @peas thread.

b2MqrwE.jpg?3

Golem on
  • Options
    oQS4K6v.jpg?1

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I really dig how much detail you put into your storyboard, if you work on your perspective skill for a bit more your drawings would look even better too. It's almost there you just need to get your edges to converge towards the vanishing point properly

https://youtu.be/Zy8m799mkzs
    https://youtu.be/1ViVkHMfidk
    https://youtu.be/s_qqXs7ya04
    https://youtu.be/BfHRReALvVc

Peas on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Thanks @Peas I used that cam scanning app for that picture as well. I'm going to be making a trip to local Art supply store for a couple of supplies, pens for the line drawing exercise, better selection of pencils. Then to Wally World, for a cheap scanner.

I've got quiet a backlog of educational materials to work through, it always so overwhelming isnt it?

Golem on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yea it's gonna be a slooow burn

By the way I forgot to say that I noticed too that your pictures were always taken with low lighting like Iruka mentioned. Do you typically draw in an environment like that as well?

Peas on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Im actually in a normally lit room, and taking pictures with flash on. I generally do draw at night on the smoke pad at the factory at work, which is not well lit. Or in my computer room.

Golem on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Welcome back! Good to see you putting in a lot of work. Perspective will be a massive help for your drawings, definitely check out the videos above.

I notice that you often draw with very scratchy lines. It's a difficult habit to break, but if you work on drawing your lines with fewer strokes and greater accuracy, your drawing will massively improve. The exercises in this video could be a big help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk

It's definitely not the only way to draw, but it will help you build that confidence.

Good luck!

Flay on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hmm try taking a photo without flash and see if the result will be better inside that room, I run into the same problem from time to time too but yea I don't really know how to take good photos myself so i couldn't give you the correct advice

You might also want to look into tackling your lighting situation too so you can work on light and shadow stuff better later on

Peas on
  • Options
    @peas Yeah some of my problem is when I'm working on stuff on days I work (I work 6pm-6am 4 times a week) so the time I can draw the conditions are dark and at night, with a few flood lights to draw by. When I'm at home which will be this weekend, I'll have a desk with a light and etc.

And hopefully with the scanner I'll be getting Saturday I'm hoping it clears up all my lighting issues.

• Options
    I got some pens and marker. Played around with them to color in some of the shading I did in pencil. I'm also filling up page after page with line practice from /r/Artfundamentals.

jPZKgsJ.jpg
    FxIokAm.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2016
    icnmUx0l.jpg
    D73dxe9l.jpg

This is the first part of my homework from /r/Artfundamentals I noticed @peas doing the same exercises earlier in their post. So I figured a good place to start since my art still has mountains to climb.

Golem on