As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supernatural [Phalla]Day 8: Victory, but at what cost?[GAME OVER]

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    I have some ideas that I'm going to try (no private communication for townies, "night" phase in between days to give mafia time to think about their kill, game-related public communication banned during the night phase), but these aren't really transferrable to what seems to be the typical style of game people run around here.

I think this could work as it would be similar to real life mafia. I would say apply the same rule to the mafia- they know who the others are. But maybe limit their conversation to who to kill.

You could do something like all caps if someone really wants to kill someone. Ala like the night phase in mafia and a mafia enthusiastically points to someone to kill.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm surprised I wasn't killed off. I though for sure my vote record would of got me killed.

I also want to say I'm thankful for all who take the time to host.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Throw a bunch of crazy ideas at a wall and see what sticks, that's my approach to hosting.

Ain't nobody gonna be inactive when they're a grandma made out of nanobots.
    Ain't.
    Nobody.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Yes I've seen it mentioned by several different people that they are purposely laying low / don't have anything to add midgame. As far as having nothing to add I strongly disagree.

I think by day 3 though - there is enough information in thread to contribute, even if no Mafia have died.

1. Vote analysis - it's not rocket science - just look for anything that looks odd, and if nothing jumps out choose folks according to how they are positioned in past wagons. I usually spend the whole game looking back at especially how people voted on day 1 (bc while the village was completely random, the Mafia was not voting randomly)
    2. Gut check - I usually post this in PM to the nethead and sometimes vote according to snippets of it in the thread. I write down everyone who is alive and what I feel about them and what made me lean that way. Early on there are a lot of neutral feelings but there's usually about 3-4 folks I'm feeling villager about, and a couple I'm leaning more suspicious than nuetral. Some folks I don't realize I thought were suspicious until I start writing it out and others I may have a change of heart. This list changes every day I live as my opinions change.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm half tempted to just design a game where everyone can keep talking, even after death. Only the people who are alive can vote, but everyone gets to keep chattering. Just see what happens (and obviously, inflict penalties of some sort if the dead try to vote or fake vote, because as a host, screw having to track all that)

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    JFP! I was a strong advocate for your demise!

I mean I was wrong pretty much 100% this game, but yeah I found the things you had to say suspicious. I am terrible.

Has there been a game with 2 sides that aggressively convert each other and also some killing to stir things up?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I'm half tempted to just design a game where everyone can keep talking, even after death. Only the people who are alive can vote, but everyone gets to keep chattering. Just see what happens (and obviously, inflict penalties of some sort if the dead try to vote or fake vote, because as a host, screw having to track all that)

You would definitely want to prevent PMs with the dead, otherwise conversation will never, ever take place in-thread because the first villager to die will be nethead.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    I mean, I'm not gonna ask to be murdered, but I'll just say my birthday is next month and I'll probably see if there is a game kickin around.

*wiiinnnkkkk*

Mine is November 6, although the forums thinks it's the day I registered with Penny Arcade (May 26), so if I can be immortal again for that game, I'd love fuck with the village more!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @Gizzy I'm really sorry I never got a chance to give your PM a real response before you got killed. Weekends get rough.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    JFP! I was a strong advocate for your demise!

I mean I was wrong pretty much 100% this game, but yeah I found the things you had to say suspicious. I am terrible.

Has there been a game with 2 sides that aggressively convert each other and also some killing to stir things up?

Sounds like a good game for a cultist to run.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Yes I've seen it mentioned by several different people that they are purposely laying low / don't have anything to add midgame. As far as having nothing to add I strongly disagree.

I think by day 3 though - there is enough information in thread to contribute, even if no Mafia have died.

1. Vote analysis - it's not rocket science - just look for anything that looks odd, and if nothing jumps out choose folks according to how they are positioned in past wagons. I usually spend the whole game looking back at especially how people voted on day 1 (bc while the village was completely random, the Mafia was not voting randomly)
    2. Gut check - I usually post this in PM to the nethead and sometimes vote according to snippets of it in the thread. I write down everyone who is alive and what I feel about them and what made me lean that way. Early on there are a lot of neutral feelings but there's usually about 3-4 folks I'm feeling villager about, and a couple I'm leaning more suspicious than nuetral. Some folks I don't realize I thought were suspicious until I start writing it out and others I may have a change of heart. This list changes every day I live as my opinions change.

jdark was doing it, I'm often doing it now though mostly I just moved to PMing like a crazy person, etc. It is just easier to keep quiet to try to avoid the mafia going "Aha! X tuned in! Kill them!"

Also people seem to assume I must have some sort of crazy mafia scheme if I personally talk, which I think has been proven untrue.

On the other hand, waiting a couple days to see if JPants would contact me and telling WACriminal he hadn't and that was odd was what got him vigged this game, so "wait and see" can in fact cut both ways. ;p

• Options

Purposely laying low needs to be expanded on. Like you said, non powered villagers should be trying to clog up the mafia's guns with their corpses.
    No info to add, I think you need to have a certain confidence in your theories to stand up before the whole class. It probably works better in real life. When we used to play Battlestar Galactica, there were some absurdly heated moments.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Part of it is that I usually dont have a lot of time to dedicate to these games. And I know we don't have a lot of players so I feel bad sitting out. Plus I did have fun the last few days!

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

jdark was doing it, I'm often doing it now though mostly I just moved to PMing like a crazy person, etc. It is just easier to keep quiet to try to avoid the mafia going "Aha! X tuned in! Kill them!"

Also people seem to assume I must have some sort of crazy mafia scheme if I personally talk, which I think has been proven untrue.

On the other hand, waiting a couple days to see if JPants would contact me and telling WACriminal he hadn't and that was odd was what got him vigged this game, so "wait and see" can in fact cut both ways. ;p

I wondered how I earned WA's wrath! I thought it was just for being a shitty villager!

I tend to network less in vanilla games. Not that this was vanilla, but for the few days I was around it certainly looked that way.

• Options
    Yeah it does take the courage to be incorrect, and the patience to accept being eliminated over being wrong sometimes.

Also it feels bad to accuse people in general, I get that.

• Options

You asked in PM why I voted for you... i think it was largely the change in how you usually present info (your gut check list) compared to that one day you posted in depth analysis on 4 people. Seemed very "un-gizzy".

• Options
    I guess that was unlike me a bit - but I'm too terrible of a liar to be Mafia and make a detailed wall of text post accusing a bunch of people at once.

(I would have been the most boring Lucifer ever)

@Grunt's Ghosts - I really enjoyed watching you play this game

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I told Gizzy, that your response could have been mafia or village. Since a mafia could have very well said the same thing and not be lying. :D

Also @Jpants , I was impressed with how confident you were certain people were innocent. The fact you seemed 100% certain made me think there was a good chance you were mafia trying to earn people's good graces.

I.E. that is : you knew for a fact the people were innocent :D

Egos on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned in thread that I was talking more this game, but I've just trying to talk more in general lately. Being quiet is boring. At least talking more hasn't gotten me killed yet!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Egos wrote: »
    I told Gizzy, that your response could have been mafia or village. Since a mafia could have very well said the same thing and not be lying. :D

Also @Jpants , I was impressed with how confident you were certain people were innocent. The fact you seemed 100% certain made me think there was a good chance you were mafia trying to earn people's good graces.

I was pretty certain and 100% wrong!

My analysis does tend to work off of assumptions (especially in vanilla games when there's no funky mechanics to work off of), at least for the first half of the game. Try out different assumptions, see what shakes out if they were true, etc. It's a pretty bad way to play (and how Aura tricked me something like 7 out of 10 games at one point) but I've also caught mafia that way. No idea if it's at a better rate than RNG though.

• Options
    I think you were pretty normal till later on.

I thought there was a chance you the one mafia siding with WA. which would have been smart, considering all others were anti-WA in the thread. But special made sense also.

• Options
    edited September 2016

hah I forgot about Raiden, which had good reasoning.

I meant more Fry and discrider. I was pretty certain Fry wasn't mafia- but I could have seen him as a SK. Considering he didn't reveal his role and just mentioned an ominous power.

Disc screamed good guy to me also...Odd, considering I usually find him suspicious.

edit: you rightly voted Virgil though.... I'm a bit curious why he defended the RNG esp. since Magic wasnt mafia.

Egos on
  • Options
    Cythraul wrote: »
    Someone mentioned in thread that I was talking more this game, but I've just trying to talk more in general lately. Being quiet is boring. At least talking more hasn't gotten me killed yet!

I'm always down for people to reach out to me. More so in games like Portend or Obiphalla where there are lots of juicy details to trade/discuss. But even in vanilla games. I'm just bad at reaching out for the most part, other than a couple go-to's like Aura or premium.

• Options
    edited September 2016

hah I forgot about Raiden, which had good reasoning.

I meant more Fry and discrider. I was pretty certain Fry wasn't mafia- but I could have seen him as a SK. Considering he didn't reveal his role and just mentioned an ominous power.

Disc screamed good guy to me also...Odd, considering I usually find him suspicious.

Ah, yeah. That's my gut assumptions think for the most part. Sometimes I get bad at making it clear i'm talking from the gut/assumption, especially when I'm rushed/busy. Fry definitely didn't read mafia (though I don't know that we've seen mafia Fry so I could be wrong about that) and I don't even remember what had me convinced about disc.

I forgot about Virgil! At least I got one, eh? I think the thread had it right in that he was defending someone he knew was mafia to earn cred. I imagine he assumed MP would die anyway and everything would be dropped and he'd have a good vote record.

JPants on
  • Options
    Cythraul I mentioned you were talky in my grand list of people still alive. I think its a good thing. The game is really boring when no one is talking.
    Yeah it does take the courage to be incorrect, and the patience to accept being eliminated over being wrong sometimes.

Its not just that it feels bad to accuse people, but explaining to the thread why someone is implicitly trustworthy can be a death sentence for them too. Egos made fun of me for summing him up below as interested in voting for CJ, but that was a very trustworthy thing to me since I was suspicious of him being mafia.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I was sad that Egos wasn't actually Dick Roman

even though Corvidae made me start to wonder if he might be, even though I knew the avatar had changed before the game started

also I wonder whether showing Corvidae that I knew the source material was what got me killed, or if it was the mafia being deathly afraid of what one-shot power I might have actually had

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Have no fear people!! I may be newer, but I WILL be up to running another Phalla again!! I am working out a few more ideas and am just thinking of different styles and creative things to through into it.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »
    I was sad that Egos wasn't actually Dick Roman

I was Charlie , though. I was partially hoping I'd be forced to reveal and get to have a Felicia Day face gif avatar :D

Or if I died. Have Felicia Day holding up a Dick Mask.

:redface:

• Options
    @Fry what power did you have?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    He was a guard who died if he successfully guarded someone

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    True fact:

I will "probably" never run a vanilla game again because villagers check out when they have nothing to do. It's the reason I run mostly battle factions because even if a villager doesn't feel like their vote matters, they can at least take an action and DO something, which leads to more activity.

I respect everyone who dislikes battle phallas, however, and understand that my way of thinking is not representative of the Phalla community at large.

Yeah, in the few games I've run I always did have something for everyone to do, even if it's minor. I like those games better.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I was especially worried that Egos might be Dick Roman, because I made a Sam comment in my signup post and ended up as Sam, and Egos was totally channeling Dick.

• Options

I like accusing people. :D
    WACriminal wrote: »

You would definitely want to prevent PMs with the dead, otherwise conversation will never, ever take place in-thread because the first villager to die will be nethead.

Easy way around it, just don't reveal alignments on death. Normally (imo) that's a horrible decision, it leaves the village with no information. But if everyone is still allowed to participate, that changes things.... I like this idea :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »
    I was especially worried that Egos might be Dick Roman, because I made a Sam comment in my signup post and ended up as Sam, and Egos was totally channeling Dick.

I think if Dick was in the game, he would likely be an SK. No?
    granted he was willing to make a deal with Crowley when things went to shit

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

That was my first thought as well.....have no issues accusing people as long as I feel like I have something to back it up.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

WACriminal wrote: »

Easy way around it, just don't reveal alignments on death. Normally (imo) that's a horrible decision, it leaves the village with no information. But if everyone is still allowed to participate, that changes things.... I like this idea :P

In that case, you'd need a coroner or two around, I should think.

• Options

That was my first thought as well.....have no issues accusing people as long as I feel like I have something to back it up.

Oh yeah, something to back it up, me too *cough cough*

Steam profile
  • Options

For the most part I don't have a problem - there are a couple of people I've had bad run-ins with in the past that I won't name. As in I felt humiliated over making a mistake or wrongly accusing them. (They don't play frequently and weren't in this game)

• Options
    At least when you are village you try to. I could see why you voted me after you spelled it out. I don't think that's the avenue I'd have gone on as mafia though.

With the black kill a small doubt seemed reasonable to keep in mind but not to act on.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    At least when you are village you try to. I could see why you voted me after you spelled it out. I don't think that's the avenue I'd have gone on as mafia though.

With the black kill a small doubt seemed reasonable to keep in mind but not to act on.

mafiapost

:P

Steam profile