Flu tricks and tips?

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

So, I got the flu shot about 12 days ago. 5 days ago I developed the flu. (Thanks guys, did you include some extra mercury while you were at it?).

Anyway, I've gone through the initial bullshit of body aches, headaches, sinus, heavy coughing, and id like to say im on the uptick. However I'm at that point where your cough is what they call 'productive' (haha), but every cough just shoots that lingering glob of phlegm high enough to cling to the edge and trickle back down. Until i get it in my mouth to spit out, its going to annoy the shit out of me. (Had the same thing last night for about 90 minutes until i finally got it out and that let me sleep...now its the next pieces turn). and keep me coughing.

Any tricks you want to impart to help it along? should i stand on my head?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Guaifenesin (Mucinex) will help. It will help get the phlegm out, it's an expectorant.

You can also take a decongestant to reduce the nasal drip portion of that, pseudoephedrine (or phenylephrine if it works for you).

Really no way around it other than clearing your throat to get it the rest of the way up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Oh i know about the wonders of Mucinex...and those clear little pills that stop you from coughing so much (Tessilon pearls or something). I'm taking both. but the mucinex usually just causes the productive behavior, your still stuck until it actually reaches your mouth.

Yeah you want it to be productive, or else you'll have those really phlegmy coughs that do nothing for a week instead of 2-3 days.

You're basically canceling out the mucinex by using the pearls.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    WassermeloneDouglasDangerEnc
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    hydration and stay home

camo_sig.png
    bowenLostNinjadavidsdurionsEnc
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Chest physiotherapy is standard medical procedure

Just Google it to learn more. It's one of those non-pharmaceutical medical orders.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    maybe this is a silly question. But would making myself sneeze a lot help?

only if you have nasal congestion

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    keep hydrated, sleep a lot, treat symptoms as best you can with medication.

hot tea with some lemon helps me when I'm coughing a lot.

sleep in a semi-seated position by making your bed into basically a couch with as many pillows as you own.

But other then that you really just have to suffer through it, being sick sucks.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If you're having trouble sleeping my trick is to take a hot shower and a cup of chamomile tea with honey.

The hot shower losens up the mucus while chamomile with honey losens up mucus, reduces throat irritation and overall tension.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the flu vaccine is a guess
    They pick a strain and make a vaccine for it

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.