As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How best to kill time in Nebraska.

vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
I am going to find my self traveling around south west Nebraska for work mid next month. I was wondering if anyone had any advise as to what is fun to do during the evening, good steak houses in Scottsbluff, Kearney, or North Platte, or places to stop along the forever drive between all three and Denver.

It should be noted I have already been to Sidney to check out that Cabelas. oh, and I am also looking for good breakfast places in each of the above locations.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Carhenge is a great piece of roadside kitsch to check out but may be a little north of where you're at. Most of the touristy stuff I'm familiar with is in Northern Nebraska or over the border in South Dakota.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If you're into birding you could see if any cranes are stopping along the river. It's not as spectacular as in spring but they're straggling through about now.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Carhenge is a great piece of roadside kitsch to check out but may be a little north of where you're at. Most of the touristy stuff I'm familiar with is in Northern Nebraska or over the border in South Dakota.

It is only about an hour away form Scottsbluff. That is not to bad.

vhannroy on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If you're into birding you could see if any cranes are stopping along the river. It's not as spectacular as in spring but they're straggling through about now.

I am in to photography so that sounds like something I would like to check out. Thank you for the advise.

vhannroy on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Aha! I live here in Sidney and lived my formative years around Scottsbluff! I don't know much about North Platte or Kearney other than avoid the KFC in North Platte.

So, for steak in Scottsbluff: my favorite there has always been the Prime Cut Meat Market on W 27th Street. Baked potato and your favorite cut of steak, it's the best around. Not gonna lie, it's not the best ever, but the best around. If you have any interest in varying Mexican food, Scottsbluff has an unlimited supply of such. Inauthentic but very good is Taco Town. More authentic and excellent is El Charrito.

Fun to do in the evening? In Scottsbluff there are plenty of up and coming bars that I hear about from my friends who still live there, but I don't have first hand knowledge of them. There's a bowling alley in Gering across the river. There used to be a dance hall place that was interesting but I think it closed down. Really, the nightlife is lacking, and it's no wonder why the young people that leave will rarely come back.

Also, you should really actually go to Scott's Bluff National Monument and do some hiking around, it gives a grand look of the valley and has some interesting Oregon/Mormon trail history to learn about. Also, the Wildcat Hills nature area has an amazing visitor center and sometimes they do guided tours of the trails around there, pretty cool.

If you like golf, there are two great courses around and a few middling ones.

The Riverside Discovery Center is a zoo. It's rather good for the size and cost.

Not much choice I know of for breakfast around other than the usual chains like Shari's, Village Inn, and Perkins.

If I think of anything else I'll post some more. Oh, it's Octoberfest here in Sidney next week, might be that sort of thing happening in the other towns too as there is a large population of German ancestry/people-who-like-an-excuse-to-drink around these parts.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    find a tornado.
    drive into tornado.
    have fun at the new location said tornado dropped you off at.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Low chance of tornados in October. Wet blizzards though.

• Options
    Edward CharetteEdward Charette Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    vhannroy wrote: »
    I am going to find my self traveling around south west Nebraska for work mid next month. I was wondering if anyone had any advise as to what is fun to do during the evening, good steak houses in Scottsbluff, Kearney, or North Platte, or places to stop along the forever drive between all three and Denver.

It should be noted I have already been to Sidney to check out that Cabelas. oh, and I am also looking for good breakfast places in each of the above locations.

Enjoy your time at Henry Doorly Zoo, Satate Capitol, Sunken Gardens(treat for the eyes and relaxing), Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, Lincoln's museum is another attraction

Edward Charette on
  • Options
    vhannroy wrote: »

Enjoy your time at Henry Doorly Zoo, Satate Capitol, Sunken Gardens(treat for the eyes and relaxing), Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, Lincoln's museum is another attraction

Hmm this isn't helpful as they are all eastern Nebraska places that end up being hours away from the stated locations.