As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Fryhunt! Day 6 / GAME OVER

FryFry Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Critical Failures
Version 2016.1

Witchhunt Fry Phalla Rules
(parts of this blatantly plagiarized from other rules written by smarter people)

This is a “Phalla” game! If you don’t know what that is, check one of the other threads that explains it, or read on.

Overview
Phalla is a game in which two groups seek to control their town by killing the other: an uninformed Innocent majority and the secret Coven of Witches/Mafia/Scum/Bad Guys™. An innocent knows only that they are on the side of the good and right; all of the bad guys know and communicate with each other.

The game alternates Day and Night phases, starting with Day. Every Day phase, the entire town has a discussion and may vote on one target to Execute. Every Night, the Witches pick a target to Murder. In both cases, the target is Killed and no longer participates in future discussion or voting.

Example: Brad is a Witch. When Jeff and Jackie (Innocents) accuse Brad of being a Witch, Brad defends himself by saying it is very suspicious that they seem to be working together. Brad convinces the rest of the town to vote out Jeff instead of himself! That Night, Brad votes to Murder Jackie. When the town wakes up and realizes Jackie has been Murdered, Sophie (Innocent) says that maybe Jackie was right. She convinces the town to vote out Brad.

Neither role nor alignment of a player is publicly revealed on death, unlike in some similar games. When a player dies, they are completely out of the game, but they still win or lose with their team (staying alive is usually not required for a player to win).

The (living) Witches share a private chat, which they may use to communicate and coordinate secretly at any time. Various roles may have other private chats or other means of communication. Other than what is spelled out in this document, communication with other players (living or dead) other than through the public discussion forum is prohibited. See “Communication,” below.

The game ends whenever one side eliminates the other, or when this becomes inevitable.

Detailed Rules
This section explains procedural details.
Voting
For Execute votes, a majority of all living players is required (such as 7/12, or 3/5). Each phase will have a maximum duration (known to some folks as a "hard" deadline), announced by the moderator at the beginning of that phase. If a majority is reached by the deadline, the target is killed and the game progresses to the next phase. If no majority is reached by the deadline, there will be no kill but the game will still proceed to the next phase. So get those votes in!

The Witch Coven’s nightly Murder vote (as well as the vote to award the Amulet of Protection) will be determined by plurality. Last target to receive a vote will be selected in the event of a tie. (example: Trevor and Ursula both have four votes to receive the Amulet of Protection. Ursula was the last to receive a vote, so she will receive the Amulet.)

Votes must be cast for a specific player. Votes may be changed freely until the deadline is reached. Players may vote for themselves (although this is almost never a good idea in the case of Executions or Murders). Please bold and color your vote or it may not be counted.

Conditional votes of any kind are not allowed. Have the courage of your convictions.

Night phase order of operations
1. Results phase: any results of the day, private or public, are posted
2. Targeting phase: targets for all night actions are selected simultaneously
3. Block/redirect/modify phase: actions that block, redirect, or otherwise modify another player’s action resolve
4. Info/protection phase: other actions that do not involve the possibility of a player dying resolve
5. Killing phase: any night kills (including the Witch Coven’s Murder) resolve

Day phase order of operations
1. Results phase: any results of the night, private or public, are posted
2. Players vote to select a target to Execute.
3. At the deadline, if a majority has been reached, the vote target is killed, otherwise no target is killed. If it is Day One, the player with the plurality of votes for the Amulet of Protection claims it.

Communication
Players may not, under any circumstances, communicate privately with any other players about the game at any time unless otherwise allowed by the game rules.

If the rules do call for private communication, it shall be considered "off the record"; players may never copy-paste or otherwise directly quote from a game-related private communication, including moderator communications.

During the Night phase, players are prohibited from posting game-related comments in the main thread. Punishment for violating this rule may result in your elimination from the game. Pay attention to the deadline!

Secret codes and other forms of encryption are not permitted in the main thread. “Breadcrumbing” (making comments that seem vague or innocuous at the time, but when analyzed in totality have a hidden meaning) is usually fine.

Dead players may not communicate with living players about the game; this includes posting in the main thread. (exception: one “ghost” post per standard phalla procedure. Nothing game-related, though!)

Non-players may not communicate with players about the game at any time.

Inactivity
Failure to cast a vote during the day will result in an inactivity warning. A second warning will result in a player’s removal. If you need to withdraw from the game, please privately notify the moderator, so you can be replaced with an alternate.

Difficulty Selector
This game features three difficulty levels: beginner, standard, and expert. If you’re a newer player and would like a slightly easier game, please announce that publicly along with your signup. Beginners may receive less complicated roles, or additional suggestions of how to use their role. If you’re looking for a challenge, privately message the moderator at the time of signup with your desire to play on hard mode. Warning: expert roles may have difficult win conditions (e.g. “last player standing”), or even have powers that are strictly detrimental to themselves!

Requests for beginner or expert difficulty may not be honored. You will not be informed whether you have received non-standard difficulty.

The Amulet of Protection
At the beginning of the game, the town will discover a magical Amulet that can avert an otherwise fatal injury. The town will decide during day one by plurality vote who gets the privilege of carrying the amulet. The first time someone holding the Amulet would be killed, the amulet explodes in a spectacular fashion (the moderator will announce this to all players), and the player survives. At any time during the day, the player holding the amulet may ask the moderator to publicly confirm that they have it, or may give it to another player. As a Night Action, the player holding the amulet may secretly give it to another player.

Notable differences from other Phalla games
  1. Private communication is not generally allowed for townies. If you have a role that is an exception to this, it will be spelled out in your initial PM from the moderator.
  2. Private communication is not generally allowed for townies. It’s kind of a big difference, so I’m noting it twice. Anyone violating the communication restriction may be removed from the game.
  3. Roles will not be revealed on death. You may not ever get confirmation whether the person you voted out was a townie or scum, so you should interrogate them well while they’re still alive to figure it out!
  4. Phase duration: I intend to run the game with 48 hour days and 24 hour nights. Day phases might be extended if discussion is active. Night phases may be abbreviated if all players with night actions have submitted them. Deadlines for phases will usually be at or around 11 PM Eastern USA.
  5. Difficulty selector. This is new and somewhat experimental. Feedback is welcome.

Sample Villager PM:
You are an innocent villager! You win if all threats to the village have been eliminated, even if you are not still alive.

You are the Butcher. You have the power to create extraordinarily delicious cuts of meat. Night Action: choose a cut you have not chosen previously, and a player. The following morning, that cut will be delivered to that player.

FAQs
This section will be updated whenever I get a question more than twice, and an announcement will be made in the active game(s) when that occurs.

Q: Do I have to vote to Execute somebody?
A: You need to place a vote each day in order to be considered "active." However, "don't execute anybody" is a legal vote, and will stave off inactivity.

Fry on

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Index:
    Player list:
    1. Brody
    2. Gizzy MrTLicious
    3. kime
    4. 38thdoe
    5. Kilnaga
    6. Auralynx
    7. ObiFett
    8. AustinP0027
    9. MamaWolf
    10. Green
    11. Grunt's Ghosts
    12. JPants
    13. premium
    14. WACriminal
    15. Raiden333
    16. Cythraul
    17. corvidae
    18. discrider
    19. Moridin889
    20. Preda Burnage
    21. MagicPrime
    22. chamberlain
    23. JusticeForPluto

Fry on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    How much does a duck weigh?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Signup

So... each full "cycle" lasts for 72 hours? That seems long.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Yar
    kime wrote: »
    Signup

AHA More proof you read OP.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    Yar
    Signup

AHA More proof you read OP.

I read lists. I can't avoid them.

Steam profile
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Sure, ok.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    This game features three difficulty levels: beginner, standard, and expert. If you’re a newer player and would like a slightly easier game, please announce that publicly along with your signup. Beginners may receive less complicated roles, or additional suggestions of how to use their role. If you’re looking for a challenge, privately message the moderator at the time of signup with your desire to play on hard mode.

uhhh, I would say to make both of these options private. It sounds like if someone is asking for beginner status and does it publicly that we could possibly rule them out for super special roles once the game gets started. I love this concept, though, and will definitely be incorporating it into future games.

ObiFett on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    and I'm in

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    signup!

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I'm game to play!! Signup!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    This looks interesting!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    That OP shit is too long. Just do what everyone wants and make me immortal again and we can call it a day. I got places to go, souls to buy, and people to reap. I can't be bothered with all those rules.

edited September 2016
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This game features three difficulty levels: beginner, standard, and expert. If you’re a newer player and would like a slightly easier game, please announce that publicly along with your signup. Beginners may receive less complicated roles, or additional suggestions of how to use their role. If you’re looking for a challenge, privately message the moderator at the time of signup with your desire to play on hard mode.

uhhh, I would say to make both of these options private. It sounds like if someone is asking for beginner status and does it publicly that we could possibly rule them out for super special roles once the game gets started. I love this concept, though, and will definitely be incorporating it into future games.

Mostly I want beginner requests to be public since I don't have a handle on who is actually a beginner and who isn't. If a veteran attempts to request beginner treatment, I expect the other veterans to publically shame them. :P (eta: also, some of the players in the game may like to know who's new, so they can avoid voting them out early)

Beginner players aren't entirely excluded from hard or complicated roles, though the randomization will be weighted to make it less likely. If a beginner player does receive a complicated/hard role, they will receive some extra tips/suggestions as to how to play the role in their starting PM.

72 hours total for a day+night, correct. 24 hour days has always felt a bit breakneck to me. I also like having a night phase to allow me time to collect my thoughts and breathe (if I'm a townie) or plan shenanigans (if I'm scum).

Night phases may be abbreviated if everyone gets their actions in early, in which case the rest of the time will be added to the next day.

Fry on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Put me in coach!

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    What do you consider a beginner?

MamaWolf on
    "May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Which level of difficulty allows me to make Grunt do what I say?

Asking for a friend...

MamaWolf wrote: »
    What do you consider a beginner?

Use your own judgment, IMO. Do you feel like you're still a beginner? Do you think the other players would agree that you're a beginner?

My guess would be that since you've run your own game before, you're probably not a beginner

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Which level of difficulty allows me to make Grunt do what I say?

Asking for a friend...

That will require the "I sold my Soul to Lucifer" difficulty.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what are you using to randomize roles?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

If the numbers happen to work out exactly correctly, I might break out the ol' polyhedrals. Probably going to be random.org though.

If you're wondering about specifics of how much certain things will be weighted, CLARIFICATION DENIED

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    yes

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    You have my curiosity

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Somehow kime invaded my autocorrect
    b3isx79nzcr0.png

Fry wrote: »

If the numbers happen to work out exactly correctly, I might break out the ol' polyhedrals. Probably going to be random.org though.

If you're wondering about specifics of how much certain things will be weighted, CLARIFICATION DENIED

I was hoping to learn how to weight things with random.org. I didn't know it could do things like that.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Sounds interesting!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    premium wrote: »
    Somehow kime invaded my autocorrect
    b3isx79nzcr0.png

I am everywhere

Steam profile
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I don't really get day vs night phase but I'm sure my mafia buddies will fill me in :D

!Signup

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    During the Night phase, players are prohibited from posting game-related comments in the main thread. Punishment for violating this rule may result in your elimination from the game. Pay attention to the deadline!

Small nitpick, but can you give an example of the kind of post that's not "game-related" that's allowed at night? Like, during the night can we just say "Any y'all seen that new Blair Witch movie? What do you think?"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    HARDCORE MODE ACTIVATED

i mean, wahtevs. bring it on. corv's been awake and drinking, and my alien eggs haven't hatched yet, and apparently i got gender issues i never noticed until last game.

I'm still gonna try to day1 GG.

for reasons.

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    also, i want to post more cat/dog/rabbit/human child/throne of skulls/alien eggs/whatever i'm doing/breeding/f$%#ing up pics.

corvidae on
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Small nitpick, but can you give an example of the kind of post that's not "game-related" that's allowed at night? Like, during the night can we just say "Any y'all seen that new Blair Witch movie? What do you think?"

sure, your example seems like it would be fine, day or night

The following are some examples of posts that are allowed during the day, but not allowed at night: "hey I'm the vig and I'm shooting kime," "I can't believe you guys let Grunts' Ghosts get away with tying the vote at the last minute," "I'm afraid I'm going to get shot tonight, you guys should vote out Mamawolf and Brody if that happens"

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Signup

The following are some examples of posts that are allowed during the day, but not allowed at night: "hey I'm the vig and I'm shooting kime," "I can't believe you guys let Grunts' Ghosts get away with tying the vote at the last minute," "I'm afraid I'm going to get shot tonight, you guys should vote out Mamawolf and Brody if that happens"

So the vig just has to last minute shenanigan call

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Given that this game was designed expressly to prevent a vig run network, I don't see that working out too well.

JPants wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

Given that this game was designed expressly to prevent a vig run network, I don't see that working out too well.

So everyone has to last minute vig shenanigan call.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    [bold]Signup[/b]

Edit: phone posting

Moridin889 on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I give up, but still sign up

• PredaPreda Registered User regular