As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    It's also a kickstarter, between me and the brother we nabbed all the onyx path kick widgets. Still sad they didn't do stained glass changeling.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I hate that I miss all these WW KSes. I don't follow the site much.

wVEsyIc.png
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    There's a site contracted to sell the extras from the kickstarters, but they're pretty expensive. Ebay is the better choice most of the time. http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=296

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    V:TM 5th's been revealed.
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-classic-world-of-darkness/vampire-the-masquerade/963352-vampire-tm-5th-edition

Props to the dude over at the WW forum.

White Wolf had the Grand Masquerade event recently and here is some info that came out:

Shooting for a Winter 2018 release

What else we know so far about Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition, facts:

* Disciplines and Feeding will work by the "You are what you eat"-philosophy.
    * Core institutions and concepts like "The Camarilla", "the Beast" and others will have have changed or shifted in meaning or operation in varying degrees.
    * The metaplot for 5th edition will start right before the event known as Gehenna.
    * The game (and it's mechanics?) will treat humans not as blood bags but as individuals that matter.
    * All licensees of the franchise will get the same "bible" to help unify the world and game universe. Helps the metaplot stay relevant and consistent.
    * Metaplot progress will focus on real life players being the main characters. Transmedia will be a huge focus.

Rumors:
    * Humans might be more aware of the prescence of supernatural entities and dangers in the world.
    * There might have been a war among Vampires for the graves of the ancients

Lots of people talking about it over there and what this could mean.

"Are what you eat" could mean you need certain types of humans to fuel certain powers. IE Animal Trainers to have blood to fuel Animalism. These seems like waste of game time to me if true.

Humans as individuals instead of cattle screams current vampire media trends to me. Now everyone gets a Bella. I guess trying to bring the "romance" back into it. Like Dracula and Mina.

Still far to early to tell whats what but I hope it comes out smoothly. And a new video game to follow.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Not encouraging.

edited September 2016
    Not a fan either, to be honest, but I won't judge until it's fully revealed. Even if it's a hot mess, we'll always have 20th.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm willing to wait on more solid info, but it definitely doesn't sound like V:TM with modern storytelling mechanics like I'd hoped it would be.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I haven't been terrible confident on 5th edition since hearing the designers talk about their goals and thoughts awhile ago. They had a very "This is the correct way to play these games" vibe about them, talking about how they dislike the idea of ignoring horror elements to play the game as effectively "monster superheroes" which was a favorite method of my group.

I think some of this might just boil down to regional differences; tabletoppers in Europe sound like they take their shit SUPER seriously.

Everything about that is really not my cup of tea. Like, I could get behind the idea of each person having different tastes and vampires preferring current kinda of people to drink (Ventrue sort of have that) but I don't want to hunt a certain person just to use my powers. And PLEASE none of that Twilight "Your blood calls to me!" shit.

Now, if people being individuals is a replacement for Contacts Merit, as in you flesh out who you can call and who you deal with, I might be cool with that. I expect a Modern Nights settings to be partly about the struggle between being hidden in a society that changes slowly while dealing with the ever advancing technology that threatens the Masquerade. Maybe the Camarilla or certain clans are thinking of going public while others what to stay in the shadows, despite that the shadows are becoming smaller and smaller. Either way, that stuff sounds like a lot of old school thinking on new world ideas and I'm not sure I'm liking it.

I haven't been terrible confident on 5th edition since hearing the designers talk about their goals and thoughts awhile ago. They had a very "This is the correct way to play these games" vibe about them, talking about how they dislike the idea of ignoring horror elements to play the game as effectively "monster superheroes" which was a favorite method of my group.

I think some of this might just boil down to regional differences; tabletoppers in Europe sound like they take their shit SUPER seriously.

I would guess that some of this is just neckbeard-ism.

Just like anyone that is still playing the version of D&D they came up on to the exclusion of everything else, there's going to be some of that. I don't have anything particularly against them, but people I've met that view V:TM as the pinnacle of tabletop roleplaying and have been playing it for pretty much the last twenty years straight tend to have some pretty strong feelings about how you're supposed to play it. If they put those kinds of people in charge, we're going to get a very heavy dose of their vision of what it means to really play Vampire "right".

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Here's the q&a from the grand masquerade. I haven't watched it yet, since I'm at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fhpXrrLBsI

14 minutes in... and this lady is really unhappy that history wasn't kind to woman and non-rich, non-white guys.

I skimmed over it, didn't hear anything too interesting, just 'look forward to upcoming thing'.

wVEsyIc.png
    So far it is "We are making a Darker World of Darkness"

They have already said it will deal with the sex trade industry and the Syrian Refugees. That they are going to make sure that you are terrible people who do terrible things to survive. Your vampires aren't heroes, they will barely count as anti-heroes.

But transgender women can be Furies. So that's cool.

I'm actually kind of down with making the WoD darker.

As long as it's darker in ways that are actually interesting and not just darker like a 13 year old sociopath that shops at Hot Topic darker.

edited September 2016
    I don't know. Like, I'm 31 minutes in and so far the conversation has been "Ok, so are we going to address racism, sexism, and rape?"

Which the answer has been... yes. The Lead Storyteller, Martin Ericsson, has said that they plan on addressing those things in this game since they are part of the real world and not doing so would be disservice to the conversations that those topics bring up. But they have been very vague about how it will be.

Edit: Someone remove that SJW lady... she's now bitching at the writers that because they are white men that they can't write about the dangers of being a women because they have never had to walk in their shoes.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    I'm not sure I like the sound of it. The WoD doesn't need to address things like that, it's up to the ST. It feels kind of heavy handed.

wVEsyIc.png
    I don't might the concept of it being addressed but I don't want it to be a theme. And they have said that it will be up to the ST to decide what is and isn't in their games, but what this lady is getting upset about is that she doesn't think that white men should be the ones addressing it since they can't know what it's like to be a woman and that the game shouldn't even think about going that dark at all. Which they said that those topics weren't the only darkness they plan on addressing either.

It's really a shit show of a panel, to be honest. After about 15-20 minutes in, it becomes less about what the game is about and instead about if we should even talk about the terribleness of the world in a game where you play monsters.

I've always wanted to attend a game at the Grand Masquerade, it's basically like attending a live action enclave.

wVEsyIc.png
    I always just assumed the whole vampiric feeding thing defaulted to rape allegory, anyway. There are ways to avoid that via backgrounds and such, but the assumption of find mortal in dark alley and exchange fluids with them nonconsentually is pretty rapey.

OptimusZed wrote: »
    I always just assumed the whole vampiric feeding thing defaulted to rape allegory, anyway. There are ways to avoid that via backgrounds and such, but the assumption of find mortal in dark alley and exchange fluids with them nonconsentually is pretty rapey.

Let's not forget the abusive relationship between ghouls and vampires. Vampires are monsters and the game does a damn good job of letting you know this. You might be do some terrible things to climb the pyramid scheme that is vampire society, but just the day to day shit you do to survive is evil as fuck. Think how causally you drink from the Blood Dolls in the Bloodlines game. Or the fact we call them Blood Dolls and treat them as such.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Let's not forget the abusive relationship between ghouls and vampires. Vampires are monsters and the game does a damn good job of letting you know this. You might be do some terrible things to climb the pyramid scheme that is vampire society, but just the day to day shit you do to survive is evil as fuck. Think how causally you drink from the Blood Dolls in the Bloodlines game. Or the fact we call them Blood Dolls and treat them as such.

"You BOTHER to name yours? How droll. Kine are just meals, it would be like asking what your steak was named by the cattleman before it was killed and cooked for you!"

*harpies overhearing this, begin to titter and talk amongst themselves at the mere thought*

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    SJW lady...she's now bitching at the writers that because they are white men that they can't write about the dangers of being a women because they have never had to walk in their shoes.

seriously dude.

and she's fucking right

Magic Pink on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    SJW lady...she's now bitching at the writers that because they are white men that they can't write about the dangers of being a women because they have never had to walk in their shoes.

seriously dude.

and she's fucking right

I am not listening to the feed but this appears to be one of those cases where it is possible to be simultaneously right about a big-picture issue and way off-point about a smaller one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »

seriously dude.

and she's fucking right

I am not listening to the feed but this appears to be one of those cases where it is possible to be simultaneously right about a big-picture issue and way off-point about a smaller one.

when a bunch of straight white males want to inject rape overtones into their project to make it "darker and edgier" they are RIDICULOUSLY in the wrong. I'm pretty ok with sitting at a zero tolerance policy on it

also SJW is terminology exclusive of garbage gators so the use of it is pretty telling

Magic Pink on

seriously dude.

and she's fucking right

But she isn't right. First of all, she doesn't know who is going to be writing this game. Martin Ericsson might be the lead, but they are still looking for writers. They might get women and non-white people.

Second, she hasn't even read a word of the game and she's already villainized them from the go. First she starts with the "Women Aren't Being Represented In Your Games" then she goes into "You Privileged White Men Can't Know What It's Like To Be Afraid." I normally reserve that kind of stuff once I start seeing some product.

It was her holier than thou attitude that pissed me off. It was her argument that shows that she wasn't there to learn about the new Vampire game. It was to push her third wave feminism thought as if they were more valid than anyone else's in the room.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

seriously dude.

and she's fucking right

when a bunch of straight white males want to inject rape overtones into their project to make it "darker and edgier" they are RIDICULOUSLY in the wrong. I'm pretty ok with sitting at a zero tolerance policy on it

also SJW is terminology exclusive of garbage gators so the use of it is pretty telling

Again, not listening to the stream as I'm at work - "who brought up rape in the first place," seems like a fair and important question at this point - but:

The game is a horror game, the protagonists are vampires and they'd like the game to partake more of the psychosexual overtones that's involved since at least Stoker, since past iterations of it have often played out more in the Brian Lumley-esque "horror" as superhero fiction space. You (and she) are right that there's a substantial chance anything they try to write in that area will be tone-deaf and offensive, but it seems unfair at best to use that particular critique to attempt to defang a game that is supposed to be about scary and unpleasant things.

Plus, GG's point that there may well be women writing anything that has to do with that particular subject-matter is a good one.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

seriously dude.

and she's fucking right

Again, not listening to the stream as I'm at work - "who brought up rape in the first place," seems like a fair and important question at this point - but:

The game is a horror game, the protagonists are vampires and they'd like the game to partake more of the psychosexual overtones that's involved since at least Stoker, since past iterations of it have often played out more in the Brian Lumley-esque "horror" as superhero fiction space. You (and she) are right that there's a substantial chance anything they try to write in that area will be at best tone-deaf and offensive, but it seems unfair at best to use that particular critique to attempt to defang a game that is supposed to be about scary and unpleasant things.

Plus, GG's point that there may well be women writing anything that has to do with that particular subject-matter is a good one.

It was one of the questioners who brought it up. I think they had said that they planned on doing a darker World of Darkness, which they talked about the sex trade industry and the Syrian Refugees, then a guy asked if they planned on addressing sexism, racism, and rape. Which becomes this really long part of the panel of people trying arguing about if and how much should be in, and this lady saying that they shouldn't include it at all, how can they as white privileged men be able to write about it when they don't know what it's like to be a woman.

Before all this, they said that they are in talks with different writers from all sorts of backgrounds to make the game diverse as possible.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    So will the Tremere still be the Tremere? That was my biggest issue with nWoD was lack of my favorite Clan. We kinda homebrewed a Mekhet into a Tremere Bloodline, but it was still kinda Wonky.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So will the Tremere still be the Tremere? That was my biggest issue with nWoD was lack of my favorite Clan. We kinda homebrewed a Mekhet into a Tremere Bloodline, but it was still kinda Wonky.

Leaving everything else aside, my guess is that if they're going for maximum market penetration they'll be bringing back the 13 big clans pretty much as they were before the Gehenna metaplot stuff started clearing the board. With adjustments for modern technology and communications, probably.

Leaving everything else aside, my guess is that if they're going for maximum market penetration they'll be bringing back the 13 big clans pretty much as they were before the Gehenna metaplot stuff started clearing the board. With adjustments for modern technology and communications, probably.

The Free Council in NWoD Mage are shining examples of how modern sorcerers exploit technology. They even have their own social media(and the rest of the Pentacle want it shut down because it's a giant 'HI SEERS! WE'RE RIGHT HERE!' beacon).

wVEsyIc.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

Actually that's secondary. They're aligning the metaplot with the Mind's Eye Theater metaplot; they're only tangentially interested in the RPG because it should produce steady income. Their real interest is the LARP and maybe producing some World of Darkness video games (Paradox Publishing is their parent, after all).

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    I'm not really up on where the MET stuff ended up relative to the scorched earth that was the TTRPG side.

I do know that there are still groups doing MET Vampire, which is crazy to me.

I'm not really up on where the MET stuff ended up relative to the scorched earth that was the TTRPG side.

I do know that there are still groups doing MET Vampire, which is crazy to me.
    The two guys helming the White Wolf project are some of the most prominent players in Europe's MET.

Europe has a very different RPG scene from North America, although they're slowly coming together.

Ardent wrote: »

Actually that's secondary. They're aligning the metaplot with the Mind's Eye Theater metaplot; they're only tangentially interested in the RPG because it should produce steady income. Their real interest is the LARP and maybe producing some World of Darkness video games (Paradox Publishing is their parent, after all).

Paradox wants it to become a giant media empire; books, movies, tv shows, games etc. etc.

Paradox wants it to become a giant media empire; books, movies, tv shows, games etc. etc.
    Sjogren said that was a possibility, but there are already World of Darkness movies and TV Shows. They just don't go by that name.

edited October 2016

Sjogren said that was a possibility, but there are already World of Darkness movies and TV Shows. They just don't go by that name.

?

Aside from Kindred: the Embraced, which aired in 1996, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

EDIT: Anywho, one of the things those guys have said is "if we don't have a Netflix show by 2019, we're doing something wrong." so they definitely want to get back into things.

Undead Scottsman on
    Keep in mind that White Wolf sued the production company that made Underworld. And the author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels (source material for True Blood). The former because it pretty directly stole their metaplot and the latter because the author admitted to being influenced by World of Darkness.

It's mostly flailing of the Games Workshop variety, but they've tacitly admitted their IP is already out there on screen.

White Wolf's doing a survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WHXD7FF

Not much Mage, sadly.

wVEsyIc.png