As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited June 2022 in Critical Failures
It is the future. The world changed. Mankind did not.

Are you like me, tired of Hearthstone's RNG vomit?
Are you weary of both it and MtG's card rarity systems requiring players to pump tons of money into buying packs to find that one card?
Well have I got a game for you!

Netrunner is a Living Card Game (TM) and part of the Android franchise. Android takes place in a dystopian future where people fuck robots, Corps (corporations) rule the world, Androids and Clones provide slave labor, wreaking havoc on the working and middle class, and criminal hackers, called Runners, strike at the Corps for wealth, revenge, freedom, bragging rights, or in the name of SCIENCE!

Fantasy Flight Games provides an excellent and stylish tutorial about the flow of battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

One player uses a Corp deck and one player uses a Runner deck. The corp must defend and score seven points worth of Agenda cards depicting corporate agendas that could be benevolent or sinister. The Runner has no Agenda cards of their own. They can only steal them from the Corp.

The runner snoops in and steals cards by performing attacks on the Corp's servers (card lanes) hand (HQ) or even their discard pile (Archives), called Runs. If a Run is successful, they get to look at one card, and if its an Agenda, its immediately theirs and they score the points instead.

So how can a Corp defend themselves from Runner attacks? ICE. ICE are defense card they lay in front of their lanes and cards face down, and when a Runner steps on them when they're running, the Corp can pay to activate them (rezzing.) They can cause light to severe effects upon the Runner if the runner doesn't have the right kind of Icebreaker. Here are an example of a Corp's Ice and a Runner's Icebreaker. Yeah, these fights look like something out of SMT or Pokemon, but many more cards use the story, characters and setting of the Android universe very well. I keep the story text in all all my packs and expansions.

pic1393279.png
Netrunner-leviathan-04026.png

If all match play like this, they would be slow. The Corp could also always Tag and then murder (flatline) the runner before they have chance to score seven points. The runner's hand (Grip) is also their health, and for each damage they suffer, they must discard a random card of the Corp's choice. Brain Damage is the worst damage, permanently reducing the Runner's hand size.
scorched.png

The game is one of Fantasy Flight Games' Living Card Games. LCGs cast off MtG, Yugioh and Pokemon's revenue strategy by doing away with lots of little mystery packs, forcing consumers to dump money into packs so they can make that one deck with that one card. All pack and expansion content is laid bare for consumers to purchase only what they want to make the deck they want. Cards are sold in a Core box, Expansions and Data Packs. The Core Box and Expansions are permanent and will never rotate out. Data packs will slowly begin to rotate out Spring 2017.

There are four Corp factions and three Runner factions.
Haas-Bioriod: Effective. Reliable. Humane.
01054.png
The corporation that started it all, HB was the first to create true artificial intelligence and the Bioroids of the future via their brain mapping technology. Bioroids have replaced law enforcement, emergency services, manual labor, and even prostitution, via their Adam and Eve bots. Mmmm :winky:. However, this wreaked havoc on the lower classes, who were now out of jobs. They also have Brain Banks that allow people to upload and download backups of their own brains. Their slogan is a direct jab at their primary rival in syntheic slave labor...

Jinteki: When you need the human touch.
01067.png
Jinteki is a traditional, conservative zaibatsu that specializes in clones, rather than machines, while working on medicine on the side. Clones, like HB's bioroids, have no rights. Their Ice is weeabo as shit, taking on the forms of Yokai and Shinto deities. Do you like Trap Cards and Secrets and all that other bullshit? Jinteki's got traps for days.

NBN: Someone is always watching.
ffg_nbn-the-world-is-yours-future-proof.png
What does NBN stand for? Nobody knows anymore! Everyone just calls it NBN, and it is has conquered all news, media and entertainment. Their eyes are everywhere.

The Weyland Consortium: Moving Upwards
01093.png
Weyland is the reason humanity is expanding beyond the stars. Their crowning jewel is The Beanstalk a massive elevator that connects Earth from the stars. Weyland conquers construction, mining, and war. They also specialize in acquiring other companies. By force if necessary.

Who would dare stand up to such noble captains of industry? Runners of course!

Anarchs
order__chaos_identities.png
Anarchists. Freedom Fighters. Revolutionaries. Disgruntled robot killers. Some genuinely work to the betterment of the middle and working class. Others are anti-bioroid activists destroying robots for taking their jerbs. Some just want to burn the world to the ground. They specialize in Virus cards, and destroying Corp cards.

Criminals
inside-job.png
Mobsters. Spies. Mercenaries. Honeypots. Escaped clones. These folks are in it only for themselves, caring not for the politics of the Anarchs or the ideals of the Shapers.

Shapers
03028.png
Tinkers. Scholars. Artists. Lotus flower lovin' hippies. Gifted-but-disturbed children. They are accused of being naive by the other Runners. They attack Corps for odd reasons. Just to see if they can, for art, for science, for fun. Maybe even a splash of spirituality. Kit here will have none of HB's "robots are more humane than clones" rubbish. She believes all artificial intelligence is as alive as she is! They specialize in slowly pumping up big, fat Icebreakers for crashing through layer after layer of Ice.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The one and only time Leviathan will be used as an example for anything.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Hey Leviathan is used as an example of a bad card all the time!

Also Ice/Icebreaker fights are clearly digimon.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

I will change Leviathan to whatever you people want right now. I only picked it for its sea mammal Pokemon looking aesthetics.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    mmm yesss new thread smell

Nah, I was mostly making a joke about Leviathan being ass.

It's a perfectly good example of 'here is an ice breaker'

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »

I will change Leviathan to whatever you people want right now. I only picked it for its sea mammal Pokemon looking aesthetics.

Darwin?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Also, you forgot a faction, NBN.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Mausolus and DNA Tracker kind of make Leviathan slightly less bad?

Still bad though.

redx wrote: »

I'll get there. This was slapped together at 6:25 AM

It's not done yet. Weyland is missing too.

Who?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    what's a weyland

Shorty wrote: »
    what's a weyland

I heard they're the author of Jack and the Beanstalk.

...nah they probably just pulled the rights from the Public Domain. Also, they blew up the Public Domain.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I got to play another couple of games of this today, just the core set with a friend.

Scorched Earth: still the best.

There's something delightfully simple about tag into explosions.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The rest of Escalation.

Holy shit, Adam got a new Directive.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    holy shit fairchild 3.0

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Now I have to try and get Khan to work after Worlds...

• EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I'm really curious to see how many 24/7, AD, PS, BOOM! combo decks we see in the meta after this week, and if they're going to be as strong as they seem on paper.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    6 creds for a 5-strength code gate with 3 very good subroutines is delicious.

PMAvers wrote: »
    The rest of Escalation.

So the unaffiliated runners are good?

PMAvers wrote: »
    The rest of Escalation.

So the unaffiliated runners are good?

They are:
    Average but somewhat too slow - Sunny (and the existence of Breaking News/All-Seeing-I means she's actually not great against the slower tagging decks around nowadays you'd think she'd be great against).
    Good to awful depending on the corp meta - Adam (who just implodes against asset spam and tagging).
    Garbage - Apex (not being able to play non-virtual resources is a huge downside considering what most of the good neutral cards are).

None of them really have enough of their own cards to make a really solid deck - 25 influence isn't enough when you need to import everything.

That said I'm going to have great fun trying to get an Apex/Self-Recurring breakers deck to work :)

Bogart wrote: »
    6 creds for a 5-strength code gate with 3 very good subroutines is delicious.

Particularly if that is 2 credits. Interesting synergy with Enhanced Login Protocol and/or the dealer that gives bioroids an extra meat damage sub.

edited October 2016
    Sucker Smoke isn't an option right? Ice Carver, Net Ready, and hope you can scrap together 2 credits with Net Mercur or whatever when you need them for the new basically fixie stealth suite? (Ugh, 3 for Blackstone? That's so unplayable).

New auto recurring decoder does not seem like the most efficient breaker ever released.

redx on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I'll be very curious, because I'm not convinced there's a situation where Khan will actually be the right choice. She seems to be overdesigned to not be Kate or as powerful as Kate became. She essentially IS Kate, but with a watered down ability made to be hugely specific, and no link, and less influence, in exchange for a 40 card deck. Her breakers aren't exactly efficient and are definitely not cheap to throw down, are based around a gimmick that works better playing London Library than Khan herself, and pretty much require you to already be winning to pan out. From the ground up she just seems like incredibly tepid design with numbers that are beyond safe.
    Anyway, prove me wrong, man. You know I want you to. But I'm not remotely convinced she's where she should have been. The Anarch breakers coming out alongside the birds is like salt in the wound. :P

Cerberus wrote: »

I really really want to get her breakers to work

but just

so expensive. it just wont happen D:

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I mean, is that an actual reasonable code gate breaker for Criminal? It starts at enough strength to break Enigma, pumps reasonably, breaks Turing/Enigma for 4, and then gives the option to bounce something big and annoying. 5 install cost is hard to swallow, but not that much worse than Gordian.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    That Jinteki ID... one net damage per turn should be pretty easy to pull off? Would something like shock, snare, neural EMP, data mine, jackson work? Could you fit Hostile Infrastructure and Hokusai?

sig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Hmm, new directive. I assume you can have essentially a "sideboard" of all four directives, and choose which three you want to start the game with. Not being forced to trash the first asset you access every turn vs asset spam seems like it would be really handy, and peeks at R&D are always useful.

That Jinteki ID... one net damage per turn should be pretty easy to pull off? Would something like shock, snare, neural EMP, data mine, jackson work? Could you fit Hostile Infrastructure and Hokusai?

I'm not sure what once per turn is about.

It would fire for each komainu sub. Or the piece of psi ice that lets them draw two cards and does two Net damage would basically mill 4 cards.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I mean, is that an actual reasonable code gate breaker for Criminal? It starts at enough strength to break Enigma, pumps reasonably, breaks Turing/Enigma for 4, and then gives the option to bounce something big and annoying. 5 install cost is hard to swallow, but not that much worse than Gordian.

You know, I decided to do a thing because I could. My numbers should be double checked, but I'm pretty sure it's all there okay.
    The summary numbers aren't hugely useful because it includes all ICE plus some variations you'll never see. It's harder to quantify the meta and how much you should expect to pay based on what you expect to see. But you can at least use this list to compare any set of Criminal decoders on any code gate.
    Also, if there's something I haven't thought of people might want to see, let me know and I'll add it in.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Hokusai, sure

hostile infrastructure is only useful if you're running a lot of asset economy, otherwise it's pretty easy to ignore

Sucker Smoke isn't an option right? Ice Carver, Net Ready, and hope you can scrap together 2 credits with Net Mercur or whatever when you need them for the new basically fixie stealth suite? (Ugh, 3 for Blackstone? That's so unplayable).

the question, though, is when would you ever need to boost it

the only barrier with strength higher than 3 that anyone is playing right now is Eli

so yeah, if you're playing datasuckers in Smoke, I'd say you are 100% using Blackstone

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fairchild 3.0 is Leviathan's revival!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Hokusai, sure

hostile infrastructure is only useful if you're running a lot of asset economy, otherwise it's pretty easy to ignore

One can imagine that this deck is definitely running Bioethics and Hokusai, though- possibly also Batty, Corporate Troubleshooter, Melange?

Lykouragh wrote: »
    Hokusai, sure

One can imagine that this deck is definitely running Bioethics and Hokusai, though- possibly also Batty, Corporate Troubleshooter, Melange?

hmmmm

here's a quick first attempt
    Jinteki: Potential Unleashed (Escalation)

Agenda (9)
    3x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) ●●●
    3x House of Knives (Honor and Profit)
    1x Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit)
    2x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)

Asset (17)
    3x Bio-Ethics Association (Democracy and Dogma)
    2x Hostile Infrastructure (All That Remains)
    3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) ●●●
    3x Psychic Field (Honor and Profit)
    3x Snare! (Core Set)
    3x Turtlebacks (The Source)

Upgrade (2)
    2x Hokusai Grid (Humanity's Shadow)

Operation (9)
    3x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
    3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
    1x Scorched Earth (Core Set) ●●●●
    2x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (7)
    2x Crick (Breaker Bay)
    2x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) ●●
    3x Yagura (Fear and Loathing)

Sentry (5)
    3x Pup (Honor and Profit)
    2x Swordsman (Second Thoughts)
    12 influence spent (max 12, available 0)
    20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
    49 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to Escalation

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Here's my first attempt, trying a more Cambridge style. I think landing a Komainu is pretty important to getting this identity to work.
    The Other PE

Jinteki: Potential Unleashed

Agenda (12)
    3x Chronos Project
    3x Fetal AI
    3x House of Knives
    1x Philotic Entanglement
    2x The Future Perfect

Asset (15)
    3x Jackson Howard ●●●
    3x Project Junebug
    2x Psychic Field
    2x Ronin
    1x Sealed Vault ●
    2x Shock!
    2x Snare!

Upgrade (2)
    2x Corporate Troubleshooter ●●

Operation (11)
    3x Hedge Fund
    3x Mushin No Shin
    3x Neural EMP
    2x Voter Intimidation

Barrier (2)
    2x Eli 1.0 ★★ ●●

Code Gate (2)
    2x Yagura

Sentry (5)
    1x Cortex Lock
    2x Komainu
    2x Pup

8 influence spent (max 12-2★=10, available 2)
    20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
    49 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to Escalation

Deck built on https://netrunnerdb.com.

Dangit I didn't fit Bioethics. Somethign needs to come out for those.

Escalation
    Find the Truth reveals cards as you draw your opening hand, which makes it....significantly worse, I'd say

of course, this is barring any Damon rulings which suggest it is possible to start playing a game of netrunner before a game of netrunner has started (which, frankly, is not outside the realm of possibility)

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Escalation
    Find the Truth reveals cards as you draw your opening hand, which makes it....significantly worse, I'd say

of course, this is barring any Damon rulings which suggest it is possible to start playing a game of netrunner before a game of netrunner has started (which, frankly, is not outside the realm of possibility)
    Depends when "starts the game" is defined. Some might say it doesn't start until people are fully ready to play, have drawn opening hands and done any mulliganing. Which, if true, seems to be a very cool ability for Adam to have in choosing his directives.