As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would it be possible

ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
Would it be possible for a thread to exist simultaneously in two different sub-forums?

Shinto on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cat.jpg

Seriously though, this should be theoretically possible.

We have announcement threads that occupy multiple forums.

Shouldn't be too complex, I reckon.

I suppose the more important question is what do you want em for?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I believe I've heard Tube grumbling that he dislikes chat threads in subforums, and how people from each subforum don't mix. It seems like simply being on the lookout for threads that could be cross listed where possible would create more mixing between the subforums.

For instance, it's fairly routine in D&D for a thread on game censorship to pop up - could be cross listed in G&T. Literature threads also pop up - could be cross listed in Writer's Block.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's possible to have a redirect, which would basically be that, but that doesn't go to the top of the forum when it gets posted in, I don't think.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    After thinking about it for a second, I don't think that would be a problem. I don't see any reason why cross listing should effect where a thread stands in the lineup in different subforums.

Shinto on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Interesting idea. One issue might be different rules between subforums; the basics are largely the same at least among the on-topic forums, but different forums have different standards for what's ok and sorting that out might be problematic. Mixing SE++ with any of the other forums would be a whole different level.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah.

Or you could just let the mods do whatever they wanted to maintain order.

Shinto on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Yeah.

Or you could just let the mods do whatever they wanted to maintain order.

honestly?

terrible idea.

the mods of the different forums, by that i mean specifically the mod-lites who are only mods of single sub-forums, don't often gel with how business is as usual in some of the other forums, especially if they don't otherwise post there.

i see that kind of thing as creating a massive head-ache, really. while it might make some people cringe and gnash teeth in anger when i say it, the different subforums do have different communities. some people mix. some people are active in many. some are most definitely not and are exclusively a "SE++ guy" or a "G&T guy" or whatever.

which is going to result in someone doing or saying something in such a cross-listed thread that would be okay in one forum, but not okay in another, and some mods getting annoyed with it, and others thinking it's just fine.

basically it will create stupid drama.

now, it is easy to say "well by golly every subforum should just adhere to the same rules and posting styles and conduct"

but uh

that isn't how the penny arcade forums work at all

Pony on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No offense, but I think this is unnecessary and could possibly be disruptive to forum order. I really don't see the forums benefitting from this.

It isn't very difficult for D&D regulars to check G&T to see if any game- or technology-related debates exist (or G&T regulars to check D&D), and it isn't very difficult to just go ahead and create said topic if one does not exist.

There will always be some topical overlap and spillover between forums. SE++ is bound to get game-related chat threads from time to time and D&D is bound to have debates over technology, at least in certain senses, and G&T have their own debates from time to time. I mean, the purpose of subforum structure is naturally to separate, isn't it? To compartmentalize? I don't see any benefit in having mods decide "oh, okay, this could also relate to Subforum X" and then pepper Subforum X with links to Subforum Y.

I don't mean to be a naysayer. I think Shinto has me on ignore so it probably doesn't matter anyway, but...I just don't see this being helpful at all. I think it'll create an administrative mess and will likely make the forums ugly. People have this "one forum" mentality because the conversational tone differs from one subforum to the next but that perception, I think, is more out of bias than reality; there's no good reason to make it easier for people not to leave their "home forum" and a lot of good reasons to force people to seek out good topics in subforums they might not participate in that often.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    It's not built into Vbulletin, but perhaps if Ramius finds the idea interesting he'll have a look at it.

Tube on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    The only thing about having this kind of option is that if a mod forgets to check the "Mirror this thread" people bitch incessantly inside the thread instead of using the report thread feature like they should, or PMing a mod.

Just a heads up. If this feature would be implemented, I would really suggest having a "do not bitch about mirroring in thread, report the thread or PM a mod" rule.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    FWIW, it might be nice for game threads like Phallas.

Satan. on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do those really need to be in multiple forums? I mean, they seem to get along pretty well now.

Alternatively, they seem popular enough we could just have a Phalla sub forum of CF's.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Wouldn't a game subforum be better for that purpose?

ege02 on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm pretty sure no one has ever really wanted a phalla subforum. The big phallas now can only be one thread, so they really aren't hard to find.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Just posting to say Pony has no idea how things work around here

Monoxide on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I'm pretty sure we all know that Pony has no idea how things work around here.

Tube on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

We've already had this discussion. Negative.

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Zot wrote: »
    ege02 wrote: »

We've already had this discussion. Negative.
    Right, different forums have different rules on games (or so it seems, I'm honestly pretty D&D exclusive). A subforum isn't really worthwhile.

Satan. on