As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick Help: New Job Title

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
So i may be moving from the widgets sales training dept to cogs sales training in my company.

Cogs needs someone like me, and the manager basically said write your own title and job description. Got the impression this was a something they want soon. I currently support users on all manners of distance and remote learning technology such as WebEx, Brainshark, assessments, gamification (think Trivia Crack). I'd be doing that plus more "big thinking" stuff which is why I'm looking to get out of widgets. Basically I research, recommend, and support the best technology for whatever training initiatives they're implementing.

I thought something like "Learning Solutions Architect" or "Digital Solutions Architect"? Something that is a recognized title overseas (at least Europe) would be a bonus/make it an easier sell as we're integrating our HR systems. Suggestions appreciated, as I've got one shot at this. Thanks!

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So when creating a job title. Make it useful. If the title doesn't exist. On your resume, make sure the title is something someone has. If you can think of the position you want. If you want to be a software engineer, pick that as your title, if you want to be a sr software engineer, then pick that.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Sounds like a technologist or business systems role.
    If you do coding and the like - technologist
    If you're doing more analysis and supporting the technical side while translating the business needs into solutions - Business Systems Analyst (or manager)

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Get on a job hiring site and search for a job you'd be happy to take 2 years from now that's related. Look at the titles they use. Don't invent a title that doesn't exist. If you can pull it off, you want to give yourself the title of the next job you're going to apply for.

What is this I don't even.
  • legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    I've got no idea how it works in the U.S. but I'd be wary of using terms like "engineer" or "architect" as they can be protected titles depending on the jurisdiction.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Can you ever go wrong working "Dark Lord of..." into your business title?
    If nothing else, it looks great in silver ink on black business cards.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've got no idea how it works in the U.S. but I'd be wary of using terms like "engineer" or "architect" as they can be protected titles depending on the jurisdiction.
    Luckily in the US you can be whatever. Which gets confusing because my project engineer doesn't do drawings or calculations, and my pipe fitter has his PE and stamps drawings. As far as I can tell Medical Doctor has certain connotations and lawyer.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Luckily in the US you can be whatever. Which gets confusing because my project engineer doesn't do drawings or calculations, and my pipe fitter has his PE and stamps drawings. As far as I can tell Medical Doctor has certain connotations and lawyer.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Titles without a honorific are pretty much whatever as zepherin said. In practice, if someone at a design firm had the title of Architect, they probably should have a degree at least.

I like schuss' suggestions, as those are probably more correct, but seeing what the most silicon valley-ish title I can get away with and still be understandable.