As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    edit- Wait, you have the starter set isn't the Guild stuff from there McMourning-aligned? Even if it's not, you can proxxy the Doctor guy from there as Rafkin. BOOM, saving you money dawg. (You'll need his card, with his rules though.)

The Guild stuff from the starter set is part of Sonnia Criid's Witch Hunters, although I have no idea why. Maybe they figured she was the simplest master to play?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Apparently yes, I can sell on my single unmade rifleman and judging by the speed with which it sold I should have put a higher price! I was surprised at the lack of an EBay secondary singles market as so many pieces come in boxes of 2+ when you're quite likely to only want one.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    For Malifaux singles people generally use Gadzooks Gaming.

Personally, I'm a hoarder. If I only ever intend to use one of a box of three, I paint all three just to have them. Also so I can vary the model I use each game.

Mayhap there's a gap in the UK market. Highly tempted to experiment in parting out a Crossroads Seven for profit. That very much seems a box people will likely just want one figure from.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've noticed most people want all but Wrath from the set.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    edit- Wait, you have the starter set isn't the Guild stuff from there McMourning-aligned? Even if it's not, you can proxxy the Doctor guy from there as Rafkin. BOOM, saving you money dawg. (You'll need his card, with his rules though.)

The Guild stuff from the starter set is part of Sonnia Criid's Witch Hunters, although I have no idea why. Maybe they figured she was the simplest master to play?

Or they didn't want to unbalance McMourning by allowing him to take those Guild models in Ressers via the Moonlighting upgrade. Or whichever one it is that let's it take crossover models. He still works well with them when playing Guild, however. All that truly matters for McMourning is Rafkin, Sebastian, and a Nurse. (Nurses are great models in any Resser crew, but that's besides the point.)

@-Loki-
    The CR7 are a fantastic fantastic FANTASTIC value. They can fit in any crew and are fun in and of themselves.

(Put Greed in a Pandora crew and watch things drop.)

Book 3 and 4, upgrade deck 2 and a new Fate deck (because I need two... but the classic poker one looks amazeballs) should be arriving imminently.

Latest brain buzz on next purchase is considering a Sanctioned Spellcaster. I'd only need the one from a box of three, but the fact they let a henchmen use his AP to make the Mage do stuff seems a nice band aid for the fact that Dashel often gets left with nothing to spend his second AP on in the first few turns. Nothing is in range to attack and if he moves he'll leave the riflemen out of his buff auras. Using that AP to turbo boost a suicide bombing magic blaster across the table sounds like a good plan to me!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Is there any way to get out-of-print arsenal decks in the UK without being absolutely murdered by shipping costs?

Besides getting lucky on EBay or a similar trading site, probably not.

Which cards are you after? You can always just photocopy from the books and clear sleeve with an old Magic card backing.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Looking for the wave 1 Outcasts. Might have to go with the method you suggest, or bite the bullet and pick them up from wargamevault.

Looking for the wave 1 Outcasts. Might have to go with the method you suggest, or bite the bullet and pick them up from wargamevault.

http://www.monstermodelsandgames.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=arsenal&category_id=38&product_id=987

Claims to be in stock. Worth an email to check?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited September 2016

http://www.monstermodelsandgames.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=arsenal&category_id=38&product_id=987

Claims to be in stock. Worth an email to check?

They've run out, unfortunately.

Burnage on
    edited September 2016
    Curse online shops with inaccurate stock counters!

Then other than the one going for £27 on Amazon this is the last best hope I found, in that it doesn't have a stock counter at all so might be in stock maybe if you're lucky.

https://www.miniatureworkshop.co.uk/Outcast-Arsenal-Box-(Faction-Stat-Cards)

Checking it out, wargamesvault shipping isn't too crazy considering (£11.15) but that 3 - 7 week delivery time will sting!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    If you do wargames vault 'em then maybe order extra to flip on EBay and cover your costs! Or try setting up a group order on the UK bit of the Wyrd forum? There's a fairly active Malifaux Trading UK Facebook age you might get more people in with. Can't hurt to ask.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1668909683388591/

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    It seems Malifaux is no longer "officially" played or carried at my local game store, so it remains my favorite game I've never played.

To soothe this injurious experience I have ordered myself a set of piglets.

Curse online shops with inaccurate stock counters!

Then other than the one going for £27 on Amazon this is the last best hope I found, in that it doesn't have a stock counter at all so might be in stock maybe if you're lucky.

https://www.miniatureworkshop.co.uk/Outcast-Arsenal-Box-(Faction-Stat-Cards)

This one actually worked, cheers! Though I also got an update from monstermodels saying that they'd found the last one they had and sent it to me, so I'm guess I'm getting two of the things now?

At least that gives me a good excuse to finally finish painting up my Outcasts :rotate:

edited October 2016
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    It seems Malifaux is no longer "officially" played or carried at my local game store, so it remains my favorite game I've never played.

To soothe this injurious experience I have ordered myself a set of piglets.

It's funny because Wyrd have a good prescense in the gaming scene and do a lot more things right with Malifaux at the moment than other game companies do with their flagship games. They promote it endlessly at cons and such, they give away tons of free product, including limited edition miniatures, through lost of different avenues (free in select boxes at release, free if you send them a $60 receipt from a gaming store, lots of free tournament prize support, free miniatures at cons in swag bags, etc). They interact with the community, listen to feed back and actually consider it when balancing the game (though obviously do their own testing on their end). They run a very well supported henchman program for people that want to promote the game at their stores. Overall game balance is exceptional, and games are entirely based around objectives rather than simply killing enemies (though this facilitates doing your objectives so it's something you want to do). Prices, while expensive looking at a per miniature price, are very low to get a competitive force with a lot of options going.

And yet, Malifaux is one of the least represented games games I've ever seen in the community.

I think their biggest problem is, at least from what I've seen mentioned online, is their incessant desire to let their 3D renders speak for themselves and not show their actual miniatures. I know in the past with their metal range they got a lot of accusations for shoddy models hidden by good painting, but that's just something you have to accept in this business. Corvus Belli sometimes get the same accusations. But one of the biggest promotional factors of a tabletop miniatures game is letting people see beautifully painted studio figures on really nice tables. That is, afterall, what you actually do in the game.

I mean, they now have three beautiful boards made with official terrain. They have an in house painter again painting their range for display at cons and such. It wouldn't be too hard putting together some action shots of miniatures on those gorgeous boards and putting them on their website. I wouldn't want them to change the style of their books, but just putting a big gallery of in game action shots would do a lot to promote the game itself rather than just the universe, art and fluff.

-Loki- on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's also extremely hard for an LGS to stock Malifaux because their stuff doesn't stay in production.

edited October 2016
    That's... the first I've heard of that? None of my FLGS's have issues stocking it. They've had issues where unexpected demand has meant they were in a queue to stock it, but Wyrds standard product is never out of production. They get their shipments every month like clockwork.

-Loki- on
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Yeah, there was apparently just a lack of interest at this store (small college town probably doesn't help).

I might try to get a friend or two to at least give it a shot, if I can't find a place to play it.

I also wish it was easier/possible to pre-order stuff on the Wyrd store; I want that Nellie Bly box but I can't find anyplace to give them my money directly.

edited October 2016
    Nellie isn't out for a few months. Wyrd don't do pre orders on their store because they prefer you support local stores. IIRC stuff shows up on their online store about a week after retailers get it. The people with Nellie already got it as an early release at gencon.

The only time they give incentives to buy direct from them is Easter, Gencon weekend and Black Friday weekend, when they have various LE models, early releases and free LE models for spending certain amounts.

It hurts when your local store isn't interested. I was in that position for a long time because the store owners personal feelings about 2E and their shift to plastic meant he chose not to stock it regardless of a large playerbase wanting to buy it from him. In your case order online? There's plenty of online stores in the US selling nicely discounted Malifaux.

-Loki- on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The combat system also probably isn't helping. It is just so inherently different from other games you are going to have a harder time getting converts.

I know I glanced at the rules for, and my eyes just kind of glazed over, and I passed on it.

Huh, the combat system is exactly what drew me to it (aside from the style). But then I've never played much of any miniatures game besides X-Wing. I just love the idea of cards being used up throughout a round and being able to "cheat" your "rolls" and the suits acting as triggers for stuff. Using cards instead of dice just lends itself to so many twists on number generation. Also the opportunity to have all kinds of cool decks seems real neat.

The whole thing with the store no longer running games does mean that I... need to buy another crew so I can get friends to play... yes... *stuffs more things into online carts*

Maybe because the other game I play is Infinity, I'm used to the concept of opposed duels? I like it much more now than hit, wound, save. Hit wound save.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2016
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Huh, the combat system is exactly what drew me to it (aside from the style). But then I've never played much of any miniatures game besides X-Wing. I just love the idea of cards being used up throughout a round and being able to "cheat" your "rolls" and the suits acting as triggers for stuff. Using cards instead of dice just lends itself to so many twists on number generation. Also the opportunity to have all kinds of cool decks seems real neat.

The whole thing with the store no longer running games does mean that I... need to buy another crew so I can get friends to play... yes... *stuffs more things into online carts*

Yeah, and I'm not making any judgements as to the actual quality of the system. But your post is basically the point.

Malifaux: "Draw from a deck of playing cards in order to get the correct suite and higher number, but then you can modify that by flipping/cheating/whatever, and you have a handful of cards to modify those in some way or another."

X-Wing: "Roll the dice, if you get more hits than they get evades, you do damage."

X-wing's is the far simpler and easier system to learn and explain. There is a lot less depth to it, but it is also far easier to just pull random / new people into a game.

e:
    And like I said, there is nothing WRONG with the card method. It's just very much a system that is either going to catch on like wildfire and be wildly successful. Or it is going to be a niche product.

Morkath on
    Well, Malifaux's is basically flip over a card, if yours is higher you do damage.

All the other stuff is more equivalent to the actions and modifiers in X-Wing (focus tokens being like swapping out cards, etc.).

But yeah I think there is something kind of harder to grasp about it due to it being different, tho I don't think it's any more complicated.

In the continuing saga of having a sucky henchman. He's running a 35ss tournament soon. I asked is he was using a tournament pack, and he said yes. But no Guilders. I thought Guilders were in all tournament packs now? He also admitted to keeping one of the mystery boxes himself because it was an LE Firestarter, and he's wanted one for a long time.

Considering that he admitted to pilfering one of the prizes I wouldn't be shocked if the Guilders were similarly vanishing.

Report him for sure. That sucks.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Downside is we have a very small community here. And everyone seems to love him. I'm the only one pestering him about Guilders since I'm really the only one interested in LE models. So if I make a complaint, and that reason gets back to him via reasoning from Wyrd, he'll have a pretty clear idea about who reported him, and I really don't want to be out with the whole community over it.

edited October 2016
    Divergant Paths seems to have gotten off to an interesting start. The man has become a Werewolf and is curently with the Arcanists, the woman has taken over Sebastians duties as Mcmournings assistant after being killed and ressurerected and is obviously with the Ressurectionists, and the child has been taken in by the Widow Weaver and is learning how to make Teddys and Wicked Dolls with the Neverborn.

I wasn't too keen on Neverborn gaining yet another creep child, but but this sounds intruiging. She's currently making Wicked Dolls, but I'd be ecstatic if we got her completely and she could summon her own brand of little Teddys.

Marcus turning the man into a Werewolf is a surprive given Nathans edict of no Werewolves in the game (along with no Vampires, Pirates, Werewolves or Clowns, but we got a Clown in Dark Carnival and Pirates with Zipp so maybe he's letting that go).

-Loki- on
    edited October 2016
    A full 10 point score great victory vs Colette. I'm really liking Vendetta with Riflemen. As they're only 5 stones you can pick a standard cheap minion who your opponent is likely to not worry too much about exposing, then focus up and use extra Lucius orders to headshot him turn 1 or 2. Frees you up to concentrate on the other strats and schemes when you can get 3 points in the bag so early.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Well done. Colette isn't the easiest master to face if the schemes are marker heavy since she can basically carpet the table with markers.

I finished building Aeslin. I put her off for a long time because the instructions looked hilariously complex, but she went together fairly well. Slow and steady gets Malifaux models built. Now I'm building the Mysterious Emmisary. The Emmisary itself was easy, all large parts. The base looks fairly complex.

New Chronicles is up with Novembers releases in it. Wokou Raiders will make my brother happy, and I'm certainly glad to be getting the Bandersnatch early.

Also Octobers promotion is an Alternate Francisco if you spend $60 at an FLGS. Very nice for me, it's the last LE model I need for my Perdita crew. I was planning on grabbing Ripples of Fate and a box for Jack Daw anyway this month.

I just worked out how much I've spent on Mali stuff in the almost exactly 2 months I've been going.

Pro-tip. Don't do that.

Just over £350! I'm sure a lot of that was start up costs and things'll calm down now. I'm sure. Sure.

I have been pimping my Malifaux left right and centre though. Getting a fancy deck box and all the unnecessary extra cards and tokens and splurging on some of the out of production Terraclips houses.

Still absolutely in love with the game though. Best tabletop hobby thing I've ever played with 100% certainty.

My tour though the 1st edition fluff has slowed a bit as the new books came so I'm back in the more current stuff, and also because Twisting Fates lets the meta plot disappear up its own fundament somewhat and becomes pretty incoherent at times. There's quite a disconnect between the one off pieces and the big plot pieces. Like Sonnia, who is the bane of all witches in the city and the terror of the Yellow Room with The Yellow Door, whilst simultaneously heroing it up around the badlands off the grid for months hiding from Guild authority while researching prophetic texts that makes her the only one able to save the world from the oncoming horrors.

Also 1st ed fluff writers really need to learn how to write a single paragraph about Lady J without mentioning her figure :tell_me_more:

MhCw7nZ.gif
    It beats the way they STILL write the Ortegas.

If it ever sounds like a character's in two places at once in the fluff, I just assume doppelgangers until proven otherwise :rotate:

On to Ripples of Fate, Nellie is strongly testing my willpower to stick to one master for now. Love the characterisation, love the figures and she seems like she'd be the biggest pain in the ass ever to play against.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2016
    89D2782C-F304-4638-93FC-65F86232DFBE_zpsrbmhvuam.jpg

Guardsmen done! One to paint until I'll let myself buy new toys!

I'm fairly set on Sanctioned Spell Casters, a Pathfinder, a Doppelganger and some Changelings as my next model influx.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Lookin' good!

Do you use washes?

Yeah, mainly just a simple base, wash, drybrush. Nothing amazing but gets the job done in a time that suits my meagre free hours and looks more than fine at tabletop distance.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    That's the same process I use, it gets good results (relatively) quick.