As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chihuahua had a siezure after rabies shot

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
My BF's adorable super tiny Chihuahua had a rabies shot Mon and has been uncomfortable ever since. She had a 5 minute seizure last night about 1AM. The vet wants to do a complete blood work on her but they're really not sure what to do; the vet is kind of a hosebag.

Any advice?

d95ahxkmagna.jpg

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    :(

Is there a different vet in the area?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I've heard that a seizure from the rabies vaccine is usually symptomatic of another disease, like hyper/hypothyroidism.

How's she in general with walking around and eating?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I've heard that a seizure from the rabies vaccine is usually symptomatic of another disease, like hyper/hypothyroidism.

How's she in general with walking around and eating?

She seems fine now, eating and doing her normal routine which isn't much as she's blind.

She's never had epilepsy or seizures before? How old is she?

I'm going to echo the find another vet thing.

:( though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    My dog Leroy had a seizure while we were on vacation. It was due to an autoimmune condition called Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. A blood clot formed in his brain, resulting in the seizure.

I remember, when discussing the condition with the vet, that vaccine shots can sometimes be a trigger for this response. I'm not saying that's the issue as I'm nowhere near qualified, but just thought I'd bring it up as something to mention to your vet.

And if you don't like your vet, please find another in your area and take her in. Blood work seems like a good idea.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    I think she's 5 or 6. Not sure of all her previous history but you all have said enough that I think she should probably get the blood work done.

Thanks, everyone.

So should she just never get another rabies shot? She never goes outside.

Agreed, blood work is smart!

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I think she's 5 or 6. Not sure of all her previous history but you all have said enough that I think she should probably get the blood work done.

Thanks, everyone.

well if she is registered and you want her to remain registered you need rabies.

could have just been a freak thing

camo_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You really do need to do the follow up testing unless you want to risk it. Seizures aren't a result of vaccinations, they're a result of an underlying health problem being poked at by the vaccination.

Just not getting vaccinations anymore doesn't help you identify what additional health risk the dog is facing, and whether it's something that can be treated.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You really do need to do the follow up testing unless you want to risk it. Seizures aren't a result of vaccinations, they're a result of an underlying health problem being poked at by the vaccination.

Just not getting vaccinations anymore doesn't help you identify what additional health risk the dog is facing, and whether it's something that can be treated.

I already said they're getting the follow up

mts wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Thanks, everyone.

well if she is registered and you want her to remain registered you need rabies.

could have just been a freak thing

nah she's not

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Really? Your vet wasn't aware that vaccinations can cause (rarely, up to 45 days after procedure) seizures in dogs?
    It's more common in smaller dogs, but I don't know if it's case of dosage (should vaccines be given in lower dosages for a much smaller dog?) or some other reason.

1. Change vet (if possible).
    2. Do a full bloodwork (to rule out a number of things like liver failure).
    3. Keep an eye on your dog and be highly vigilant for the next week or so.
    4. Don't give her a vaccination ever again unless a competent vet strongly recommends it. Dogs that have seizures after vaccinations are fairly likely to have a repeat (even if given anti-allergenics). The relapse can be worse (like full anaphylactic shock).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Really? Your vet wasn't aware that vaccinations can cause (rarely, up to 45 days after procedure) seizures in dogs?
    It's more common in smaller dogs, but I don't know if it's case of dosage (should vaccines be given in lower dosages for a much smaller dog?) or some other reason.

1. Change vet (if possible).
    2. Do a full bloodwork (to rule out a number of things like liver failure).
    3. Keep an eye on your dog and be highly vigilant for the next week or so.
    4. Don't give her a vaccination ever again unless a competent vet strongly recommends it. Dogs that have seizures after vaccinations are fairly likely to have a repeat (even if given anti-allergenics). The relapse can be worse (like full anaphylactic shock).

We have a dog that is sensitive to vaccines (she gets baseball-or-larger sized fluid-filled lumps at injection sites that have to be drained, and is itchy and lethargic after a shot, each shot she got as a puppy had a worse and worse reaction) and our vet was able to write us some kind of document saying that vaccinating her any more than absolutely necessary was dangerous that would get us out of any trouble if her not being up to date on her shots ever came up anywhere

If you get a good vet something like that may be possible for the future

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!