As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GhostBusters: Aint Afraid of No Reviews

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Also, what's with this revisionist bullshit? The Avatar trailers made the movie look great and most people had hope the movie will stay true to the source material when it came out. It did a great job of only showing the decent effects and hid all the terribleness quite well by barely showing any of the cast act on screen.

The tone was all wrong, the dialogue and the acting are just terrible, and they white washed a cast in a mobile that was explicitly based around Asian culture (where as the original Ghostbusters featured a primarily male cast, but was not actually a social commentary about manhood or male culture.).

The trailer was so bad that the the studio replaced it with a teaser trailer of a scene. With zero dialogue that never appears in the actual movie.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If you say so. That trailer looks about as good as a live action Avatar could be to me. Other than maybe the slightly serious, dramatic tone they're using. But all the bending looks great, and it has the obligatory "oh shit avatar state!" shot to boot.

It'd be nice if I could see into the future and know ahead of time what the movie turned out to be. But if I had that kind of power, I sure as shit wouldn't be wasting it on frigging youtube voting.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If you say so. That trailer looks about as good as a live action Avatar could be to me.

What exactly did the airbender trailer get right that the Ghostbusters trailer got wrong?
    It'd be nice if I could see into the future and know ahead of time what the movie turned out to be.

It's the same movie.

It's not like the trailer misrepresented the tone or the dialogue or the acting. The bad things in the movie are also in the trailer.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, not really Ghostbusters related, but tangential to that harassment Leslie Jones endured a while back?

Well apparently it just got worse, with the actress's personal site being hacked and set to display nude pictures, her passport info, and other personal documents.

Following the Facebook news link lead me to this;

cbi1tfis4btz.png

Not sure if that's actual empathy, or getting out ahead of likely being blamed for it in some fashion, but the comments section is about as bad as you'd expect from what little I know of him/his followers.

Ugh.png 19.1K
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I've said this multiple places. These people that do this shit don't care about any cause, or standpoint. They use whatever issue is hot in the media to do the most dispicible things to get their jollies off and circle-jerk about how lulzy they are.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That guy is a total piece of shit and his "distress" is just a way for him to inform his GG cronies to look for and disseminate the personal info while having plausible deniability.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Passport information? That's not the easiest stuff to come by.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested in my thoughts on this film, I finally managed to get my piece up at the ol' Kraken Dry Goods & Bloggery

the short version is:

unimpressed-mckayla-maroney.jpg

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Forar wrote: »
    So, not really Ghostbusters related, but tangential to that harassment Leslie Jones endured a while back?

Well apparently it just got worse, with the actress's personal site being hacked and set to display nude pictures, her passport info, and other personal documents.

cbi1tfis4btz.png

Not sure if that's actual empathy, or getting out ahead of likely being blamed for it in some fashion, but the comments section is about as bad as you'd expect from what little I know of him/his followers.

that message of his isn't inconsistent, he's been fairly anti doxxing/hacking/swatting/etc forever (see: Gamergate)

once can be a shithead and still have a bottom to their level of shitheadedness, but hilariously Milo's own audience sees something like that and think HAVE THE SJW'S GOTTEN TO YOU

override367 on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

cbi1tfis4btz.png

that message of his isn't inconsistent, he's been fairly anti doxxing/hacking/swatting/etc forever

once can be a shithead and still have a bottom to their level of shitheadedness, but hilariously Milo's own audience sees something like that and think HAVE THE SJW'S GOTTEN TO YOU

Milo could say the sky is blue and I would look myself to confirm. His public face is likely anti dox/hack/swat only because it could land him in actual legal trouble if it was proven that he was inciting people to do such things. He gets no benefit of the doubt from me.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    darkmayo wrote: »

cbi1tfis4btz.png

that message of his isn't inconsistent, he's been fairly anti doxxing/hacking/swatting/etc forever

Milo could say the sky is blue and I would look myself to confirm. His public face is likely anti dox/hack/swat only because it could land him in actual legal trouble if it was proven that he was inciting people to do such things. He gets no benefit of the doubt from me.

I dunno, just because he stands for and believes abhorrent things, it doesn't necessary follow that he believes and stands for every abhorrent thing

being "pro swatting/hacking/doxing" doesn't carry legal liability, otherwise stormfront wouldn't exist

override367 on
  • Options
    In the absolute most generous interpretation, Milo is doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziH9St7ajuw

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

cbi1tfis4btz.png

The actual legal danger for incitement is pretty nil. It could theoretically happen but it isn't realistic.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I really very much dislike Milo but I do not find it inconsistent with his rhetorical style to be firmly opposed to extralegal harrassment, after all he's personally been a victim of that multiple times

which does not mean that he doesn't bear responsibility when his fans do it, despite his protestations

override367 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Milo himself was pretty darn happy to see the attacks on Jones, based on his Instagram.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Milo himself was pretty darn happy to see the attacks on Jones, based on his Instagram.

Oh, his concern about the hack was false? This is my surprised face.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    It's still in theaters? how can it be back?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    It's still in theaters? how can it be back?

Might have left in some markets, might just be cheesy marketing taking advantage of people assuming it'd be gone.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Somebody at Sony really wants this franchise to live and want to squeeze out the last $$$ possible to be able to say that the movie broke even. I hope they succeed.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The extended edition is interesting. It's not just new material there are a lot of jokes / lines that have been changed, some for the better, some for the worst. Makes it feel almost like a different movie.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The extended edition is interesting. It's not just new material there are a lot of jokes / lines that have been changed, some for the better, some for the worst. Makes it feel almost like a different movie.

I agree.
    I enjoyed a decent amount of the changes. The Ozzy cameo in particular was 1000% better.

Didn't like the addition of the dance scene. It was much better as a credits gag. Or the weird stilted "oh, we shouldn't cross the streams" during the concert. The line came across odd and forced and not funny.

Still a fun movie. Mike Hat still makes me laugh.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    The really interesting thing about the extended edition is some of pacing feels more in line with the original movie since jokes are given a little bit more room to breathe and there is more incidental dialogue.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Does the extended addition fill in any of the little plot jumps?

• Options
    Yes. Sometimes with stuff that I could understand why they cut in the first place.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hm. Given the quality of a lot of the cut stuff, I wonder if the movie ultimately suffered from executive meddling? Or did Feig second-guess himself?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    The really interesting thing about the extended edition is some of pacing feels more in line with the original movie since jokes are given a little bit more room to breathe and there is more incidental dialogue.

That was my biggest complaint about the movies after seeing it in theater, gonna have to go buy the extended edition now.

• Options
    It looks like the main thing they cut was Erin's ex-boyfriend. Which... was there any payoff for that?

Also, I just realized that Ghostbusters is yet another movie where they spontaneously go from night to day.

It's 12 hours latter, and they're wondering when Kevin had time to buy a sandwich.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It looks like the main thing they cut was Erin's ex-boyfriend. Which... was there any payoff for that?

Also, I just realized that Ghostbusters is yet another movie where they spontaneously go from night to day.

It's 12 hours latter, and they're wondering when Kevin had time to buy a sandwich.

I don't think that was night. I think that was the ghost cloud blocking the sun.

EDIT: yup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDkTj3yOskY

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    The extended sandwich gag may be one of the best parts about the extended edition.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I still go with Nosebusters.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    So I'm seeing this tonight for the first time. For those who've seen both: Theatrical or Extended?

• Options
    So I'm seeing this tonight for the first time. For those who've seen both: Theatrical or Extended?

Theatrical.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    FInally saw it with the missus. She was looking forward to it because she likes Melissa McCarthy and Feigs previous movies.

Both of us were unimpressed. My main issue was it felt like zero time passed from the start and the end.

And as I suspected. In a film full of fairly good comedic talent, the funniest was the non comedian. Just an Australian doing daggy comedy, being a typical Australian.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    FInally saw it with the missus. She was looking forward to it because she likes Melissa McCarthy and Feigs previous movies.

Both of us were unimpressed. My main issue was it felt like zero time passed from the start and the end.

And as I suspected. In a film full of fairly good comedic talent, the funniest was the non comedian. Just an Australian doing daggy comedy, being a typical Australian.

Same with us. Watched it tonight because the Mrs. wanted to. It was... okay. Like I don't think it warranted the hate, but it wasn't exactly something I wanted to pause while I went to the bathroom. And the pace was so fast I felt like they were sprinting from scene to scene.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Same with us. Watched it tonight because the Mrs. wanted to. It was... okay. Like I don't think it warranted the hate, but it wasn't exactly something I wanted to pause while I went to the bathroom. And the pace was so fast I felt like they were sprinting from scene to scene.

That's pretty much how we felt too. My fiancee and I watched it the other day and it wasn't bad enough to turn off, but I don't see myself ever watching it again. Certainly not terrible enough for some of the comments about it.

It's basically the Ghostbusters equivalent of Blues Brothers 2000 to me.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    We watched this last night and we both thought it was fiiiiiiiiiiiine. Not great, but neither me or the lady are particularly fond of the originals truth be told. I personally feel it was a great cast a little squandered by trying to shove too much shit into a movie. Felt real disjointed, but I think there are some genuinely funny parts. She thinks Thor guy should be in far more comedies than action/drama and I fully agree. He really stole that movie.

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Watched it with my old lady, and we both think its the usual forgettable studio product. Not the worst thing ever though.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I saw it a few days ago, and really liked it. I laughed out loud quite a few times.

Chris Hemsworth tied with the engineer scientist for laughs, I think.

Any rumours about doing well enough for a sequel ?

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    I would be very cautious about trusting any rumors regarding performance or sequels, there's just too much poison in the well. We probably shouldn't let our hopes get too high though.