As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Phalla Signup List

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Invictus wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    I have been considering running a game for awhile where the roles are indeterminate, chosen from (say) a thousand hypothetical distributions of roles, and only when someone is voted off do we learn what their role is, and that eliminates every variation of the game that doesn't have that person in that role. The game continues as normal, with results (except the vote) given in percentages until the remaining variations determine whether (say) someone is dead, or someone turns out to be the seer.

I saw a description of this idea somewhere, and it's stuck with me--maybe it's called quantum werewolf? My worry is that I'd be the only one who enjoyed it; pretty sure the strategy would be...complicated.

So what...
    When someone is voted off and they turn out to be the vig through a die roll, all their pending orders kill off the remaining players?

And who decides the mafia kill?

Everyone who might be the vig sends in a kill order every night. when someone turns out to be the vig, all the people they vigged die.
    Fry wrote: »
    When you give orders at night, you don't know whether you're shooting them, scrying them, or guarding them? That sounds...interesting

Well, the way I was intending to run it would probably start off very simple, maybe not even with a vig. But if there were vigs and seers, you'd send in separate orders for seering and vigging, and they would only matter if you turned out to be the seer or the vig.

Not a criticism, an exploration of this concept:

Consider the following scenario:

WACriminal, Brody, and ObiFett are playing (amidst an arbitrarily large group of players).

WACriminal sends in a vig order on Day 1 targeting ObiFett because HE NEEDS TO DIE SOMETIME, HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT.

On Day 2, WACriminal is voted out and the probability waveform collapses, determining him to be the vig. ObiFett dies.

However. On Day 1, Brody sent in a guard order protecting ObiFett. On Day 3, after Obi is already dead and his alignment/role revealed, Brody is voted out and the probability waveform collapses, determining him to be the guard.

In this instance, is Obi resurrected? Because god knows we need more of that happening. :lol:

This is the kind of complexity that comes up with guard/vig interactions. I would play it as that ObiFett is a percentage dead, depending on how many of the possibilities involve him being guarded, and only when none of the possibilities left end up with him being guarded that day does he die--or maybe it turns out he was guarded, then he turns out to be not dead.
    Spoit wrote: »
    Wait, I could see how the vig, and guard, would work posthumously. But how would a seer work like that?

Well, here's how the seer would work. Everybody with a possibility left of being the seer--I think you'd know how likely you are to be the seer, every night--would send in seer requests, and would get randomized responses based on how likely their targets are to be mafia. Now, as people die and the possibilities collapse, sometimes people will turn out to be mafia or villagers in ways that falsify some seer responses. In that case, the people who received the false seer responses would turn out not to be the seer, or to put it more formally, all the possibilities where they are the seer would be eliminated.

One way someone could learn that they're the seer is by dying and one of the cases where they're the seer gets rolled. That does kinda suck. But it might also be that other people who might be the seer all end up with falsified responses. In any case, if it turns out you are 50% the seer, that means in 50% of the possibilities left all of your seer responses are true. So you can still get info from the responses.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    When are you running this game, so that I can ask for vacation time?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    And do you (or maybe Burnage with his three simultaneous games) need hosting help?

Not so hot at the balance so far, but I'm generally around a fair bit and can help automate things where needed for anyone.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Automate all of my things! My things are too manual.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I have been considering running a game for awhile where the roles are indeterminate, chosen from (say) a thousand hypothetical distributions of roles, and only when someone is voted off do we learn what their role is, and that eliminates every variation of the game that doesn't have that person in that role. The game continues as normal, with results (except the vote) given in percentages until the remaining variations determine whether (say) someone is dead, or someone turns out to be the seer.

I saw a description of this idea somewhere, and it's stuck with me--maybe it's called quantum werewolf? My worry is that I'd be the only one who enjoyed it; pretty sure the strategy would be...complicated.

So what...
    When someone is voted off and they turn out to be the vig through a die roll, all their pending orders kill off the remaining players?

Everyone who might be the vig sends in a kill order every night. when someone turns out to be the vig, all the people they vigged die.
    When you give orders at night, you don't know whether you're shooting them, scrying them, or guarding them? That sounds...interesting

Well, the way I was intending to run it would probably start off very simple, maybe not even with a vig. But if there were vigs and seers, you'd send in separate orders for seering and vigging, and they would only matter if you turned out to be the seer or the vig.

WACriminal, Brody, and ObiFett are playing (amidst an arbitrarily large group of players).

WACriminal sends in a vig order on Day 1 targeting ObiFett because HE NEEDS TO DIE SOMETIME, HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT.

On Day 2, WACriminal is voted out and the probability waveform collapses, determining him to be the vig. ObiFett dies.

However. On Day 1, Brody sent in a guard order protecting ObiFett. On Day 3, after Obi is already dead and his alignment/role revealed, Brody is voted out and the probability waveform collapses, determining him to be the guard.

In this instance, is Obi resurrected? Because god knows we need more of that happening. :lol:

This is the kind of complexity that comes up with guard/vig interactions. I would play it as that ObiFett is a percentage dead, depending on how many of the possibilities involve him being guarded, and only when none of the possibilities left end up with him being guarded that day does he die--or maybe it turns out he was guarded, then he turns out to be not dead.
    Wait, I could see how the vig, and guard, would work posthumously. But how would a seer work like that?

Well, here's how the seer would work. Everybody with a possibility left of being the seer--I think you'd know how likely you are to be the seer, every night--would send in seer requests, and would get randomized responses based on how likely their targets are to be mafia. Now, as people die and the possibilities collapse, sometimes people will turn out to be mafia or villagers in ways that falsify some seer responses. In that case, the people who received the false seer responses would turn out not to be the seer, or to put it more formally, all the possibilities where they are the seer would be eliminated.

One way someone could learn that they're the seer is by dying and one of the cases where they're the seer gets rolled. That does kinda suck. But it might also be that other people who might be the seer all end up with falsified responses. In any case, if it turns out you are 50% the seer, that means in 50% of the possibilities left all of your seer responses are true. So you can still get info from the responses.

I still don't see how the mafia kill works.
    If random people put in random orders to use the mafia kill, the dead mafia decide where the mafia kill goes, and then the mafia kill will randomly land on more people who will turnnout to be mafia.
    In the end, whether the mafia wins or not will be strictly dependent on the random targetting of the vote and other kills.

Basically, the mafia distribution would have to be predetermined or there won't be much of a game.

discrider on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Which ignores the whole conceit of phalla in the first place. Like @Munkus Beaver kept saying back in the day, it's all about the pitchfork wielding mob vs the illuminati trying to control things from the shadows (or, if you want to be boring: uninformed majority vs coordinated minority)

steam_sig.png
    You could potentially have a couple of mafia setups I guess...
    But I guess they would need to be determined independently from each other, and some people could be on all the mafia boards but others only village/SK.

And you would not want to announce on one board that you're on another.
    That 33% chance mafia is not going to necessarily want to keep around that 66% mafia or certain mafia that's on other boards...

Also also -> Birthdaygate Mach II

Or it might fall the other way and you get a super-mafia group working together and able to win together due to shared members.
    Resulting in a mafia superposition win where the joint members win and the non-joint members win without observation of whether they're in the mafia or not.

38thDoe wrote: »
    Automate all of my things! My things are too manual.

You let me know when you want to run a game.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular

So what...

If random people put in random orders to use the mafia kill, the dead mafia decide where the mafia kill goes, and then the mafia kill will randomly land on more people who will turnnout to be mafia.
    In the end, whether the mafia wins or not will be strictly dependent on the random targetting of the vote and other kills.

Basically, the mafia distribution would have to be predetermined or there won't be much of a game.

Certainly, the game is in principle very complicated and I'm not sure what the best strategy is, but it's very easy to fix the problem of mafia killing other mafia: eliminate every variation where the mafia shotcaller attacks another mafia. That means potential mafia have substantial control over who might be mafia with them. That means putting in kill orders doesn't need to be random; you can do it strategically.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

So what...

Certainly, the game is in principle very complicated and I'm not sure what the best strategy is, but it's very easy to fix the problem of mafia killing other mafia: eliminate every variation where the mafia shotcaller attacks another mafia. That means potential mafia have substantial control over who might be mafia with them. That means putting in kill orders doesn't need to be random; you can do it strategically.

STOP TEASING ME DAMNIT!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

So what...

The mafia then still wins at random in this scenario however, as the remaining players would be, for instance, 33% mafia in a 3 player game, regardless of who died before.
    Then the 3 players decide who they like the least and the mafia wins 66% of the time and the village 33% of the time.

Better to have multiple preset versions oc the mafia, with mafia boards closing as soon as those mafia setups become untenable.
    But that's not your original every-combination game.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    BTW, I think technically my game counts as a "mini" since it's less than 30 players.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    As sad as it is, I think we no longer have the luxury of dubbing things as mini or main anymore.
    that said, but old standards- yeah it would be

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It's not a luxury though, it's a rule!

It doesn't matter lately, but if it does, it does.

OrokosPA.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    It doesn't matter lately

This is basically what I meant. My apologies for my poor wording.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

So what...

This is sort of what I ran into trying to spec out balefire for a WoT phalla. Killing people before their actions ever took effect

I ended up concluding that at least one unresolvable paradox was pretty much guaranteed to occur

edited October 2016
    So I'm fiddling with this....2 year old... [phalla]mentry procedure game. Just how bad would it be to balkanize the mafia, if it's also a multi-faction game? Are they even a mafia, if their survival doesn't actually block the completion of the game?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Not really, no. That sounds like just a bunch of serial killers

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So I'm fiddling with this....2 year old... [phalla]mentry procedure game. Just how bad would it be to balkanize the mafia, if it's also a multi-faction game? Are they even a mafia, if their survival doesn't actually block the completion of the game?

That just sounds like another faction to me. What separates them?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

That just sounds like another faction to me. What separates them?

Hard networking? (kinda sorta). Meta-factions, on top of the existing factions?

steam_sig.png
    Fryhunt is over, the WITCHES won

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    When does the next game start?

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Depends on who's hosting it. It ain't me this weekend.

I'd go again, but mine'll take a couple weeks to run, and I know there were a couple people doing Halloween themes.

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    i believe either @egos or @raiden are in the queue. but don't take my word for it.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    @Matev had one he was working up as well.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Jiminy, is Fryhunt actually over? I mean, give me a day or two, and I can have my phalla locked down and ready to go.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Update: [Phalla] at the House on the Hill will be going up tomorrow. Prepare yourselves, it's gonna get gory.

Hail Hydra
    Not to be that guy multi-posting, but, CF, we're here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPfShkbEZk

Hail Hydra
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I am currently brainstorming a Phallection game, roughly based on the presidential election but with 100% fictionalized country/characters (don't expect any hot takes or political commentary in the roles, it's all in good fun) but with a unique mechanic Spoit inspired in me and told me it was okay to use for myself. Keeping the mechanic under my hat for now, all I'll say it plays to my fear that I'll really suck at writing narrations.

Not officially signing up, but I'm definitely closer to having an actual game put together than I was with my last idea for a halloween phalla (and I'm kinda glad Matev had one instead since I turned out to be crazy busy for the past week, I didn't even see signups go up). @MrTLicious I'm still gonna take you up on your offer for balance when I get something coherent together. :P

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    Phalla at the House on the Hill has ended with a Partygoer victory, by the skin of their teeth!

Hail Hydra
    Alright, someone has to do it.

Who's up next? Based on the sign up list from Bandwagon, @WACriminal is up with @Egos to follow.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I need someone to help me work on my FTL game. I can't figure out how to fit all the parts together.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Ooh FTL game?? That sounds cool!

Given I've never run a game I should probably just stick to playing it ;)

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Delay me indefinitely. I'm getting married Monday.
    AAAAAAAHHHHHH SO EXCITED

Delay me indefinitely. I'm getting married Monday.
    AAAAAAAHHHHHH SO EXCITED

And you just can't hide it?
    A toast for the Groom!
    For the bride!

Cythraul wrote: »
    Ooh FTL game?? That sounds cool!

Given I've never run a game I should probably just stick to playing it ;)

I think the obvious solution is to run a game right now.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Pretty sure an FTL game would just descend into us all voting to open the airlocks and keep them open forever.

I'm in.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I need someone to help me work on my FTL game. I can't figure out how to fit all the parts together.

I could give you a hand with this. Im probably not going to have time to play any phallas for a while anyway.